Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

The guy who is most vehemently defending quinn ewers is the same guy who basically pitched Custer's Last Stand for Charlie Strong

just keep that in mind

He is also the first person to tell you that Manny Diaz wasn't good when everyone was chest bumping about that guy. Remember that? Same about Tom Herman when you guys were all excited about him. Remember that? I could keep going. Charlie Strong was my ONE. I've been pretty spot on about all the other shit. I believe Shaggy is still out there so you can go back and look. You can go all the way back to the 2008 Gideon is a bad mofo thread when I was making fun of you guys for thinking he was a great safety. 

1) 1st play of the game X jumps backwards 3 yards for some reason to catch a ball giving up the room the DB needs to knife right in front of him. If he just stops and catches it that won't happen. 

2) Ewers can't step into the deep dig Worthy is running so the ball is high but extremely catchable. Worthy gator arms it and it goes right through his hands. 

3) Bad throw by Ewers but damned if Worthy is running about 3/4 speed

4) Ewers tries him again. Worthy lets the DB push him 5 yards off his route. The ball lands right there but Worthy doesn't fight for it. 

5)  This one shouldn't have been thrown. That said a receiver needs to fight for this ball. At the very least play defender. You could end up getting a PI if you work your way back to it. Worthy makes no effort. 

6) Swing pass to Worthy for 3 yards

7) Same route Worthy ran earlier but this time he didn't jump backwards. 16yd gain

😎 shallow cross and Ewers hits Worthy who drops it

9)  Quick hitter to Worthy who is in the slot

10) 10 yard dig at the sticks and Worthy is being muscled by a DB and drops it. 

11) Quick screen to Worthy for 3 yards.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

if quinn's issues as they seem to be then he isn't going to make drastic improvements this year. it'll take at least an off-season to correct this many mechanical issues, not to mention his inability to make checks or audibles at the line. same goes with reading defenses. conversely, if this whole thing gets fixed with just a little bit of mid-season coaching then i'm going to be very frustrated with the fact that it took this long to make such minor tweaks.

• Hook 'Em 3

Quinn's mind is a much bigger issue than his feet. I'm not so convinced he knows the plays that well. Nearly every play has multiple options built into it and Quinn routinely makes bad decisions. He also puts too much faith in his arm and takes riskier throws downfield when he has superior athletes one on one in space around the LOS. Matching Bijan up with a LB on a wheel route doesn't mean Bijan is covered dude

Despite his ineffectiveness at hitting Worthy deep, teams still respect the hell out of it. They also respect the hell out of Bijan as a runner. We have two decoys on and Quinn/Sark still don't play off of them enough to make them respect the other guys enough. 

I believe Arch has a better football mind than Quinn right now, but we would be better off giving him a year to learn the system and the reads before throwing him out there. 

I think more window dressing would help the offense gain advantage, but if these guys are already having a hard time executing, it could just make that worse.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

1) 1st play of the game X jumps backwards 3 yards for some reason to catch a ball giving up the room the DB needs to knife right in front of him. If he just stops and catches it that won't happen. 

2) Ewers can't step into the deep dig Worthy is running so the ball is high but extremely catchable. Worthy gator arms it and it goes right through his hands. 

4) Ewers tries him again. Worthy lets the DB push him 5 yards off his route. The ball lands right there but Worthy doesn't fight for it. 

5)  This one shouldn't have been thrown. That said a receiver needs to fight for this ball. At the very least play defender. You could end up getting a PI if you work your way back to it. Worthy makes no effort. 

7) Same route Worthy ran earlier but this time he didn't jump backwards. 16yd gain

First time seeing the video of Worthy versus what I saw from being at the game live.  Worthy leaving will be addition by subtraction if we go get a WR with some fight in him that can catch.  He either dropped the ball or for some reason does not come back for the ball to help his QB out but instead falls away from contact.  I get he has speed but any decent NFL scout will shy away from him based on this type of film.  They want guys that will fight for the ball and not hang their QB out to dry.  On that first throw Ewers may have been late but look at Worthy falling away from the ball allowing the defender to knock it away.  If that was a legit WR he comes back for that ball and he catches that shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Ewers is obviously struggling, whether it be his mechanics or between the ears. That’s undeniable right now and anyone saying otherwise is living in a fantasy. But I don’t know how any of you can just toss him to the side and already call him a bust. Sam’s freshman year was the stuff of nightmares. The lob in the endzone to the okie st safety to end the game was one of worst decisions I’ve seen a qb ever make. He put the work in and his sophomore season turned the corner, and the rest of his time on the forty speaks for itself. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, immamac said:

Ewers doesn’t run or when he does it’s a blatant holding call that loses more yardage than the sack. I think some of you need to actually watch the game sober and without any negativity. Starting 0/7 was hardly Quinn’s fault and the receivers are really fucking him over. It leads to trying to play hero ball and he can’t hero ball yet. 

the honest answer is Bijan needed 25+ Carrie’s and rojo needed another 15+ Quinn has no business throwing the ball 40+ times even if he’s on fire. It’s a disgrace. 

The way our line was run blocking that would have been 3 and outs also unfortunately.  The TCU D would not have been tired in the 4th quarter either unless tackling our RB’s at the line of scrimmage tired them out.  It looked like our OL in the interior were totally whiffing on blocking the TCU players.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The way our line was run blocking that would have been 3 and outs also unfortunately.  The TCU D would not have been tired in the 4th quarter either unless tackling our RB’s at the line of scrimmage tired them out.  It looked like our OL in the interior were totally whiffing on blocking the TCU players.

This is stupid. That’s not how running the ball that many times works with the best tandem backfield in the country. Pull your head out of your ass. 
I’d rather have lost the game putting it on bijans shoulders, who is without a doubt the best player on the field any time he’s out there. Roschon can also carry a team on his back and has the mental fortitude to take that on. Quinn shouldn’t have been put in the position he was put in. The game was too close to keep trying to play like they were behind 3 TDs all night. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is stupid. That’s not how running the ball that many times works with the best tandem backfield in the country. Pull your head out of your ass. 
I’d rather have lost the game putting it on bijans shoulders, who is without a doubt the best player on the field any time he’s out there. Roschon can also carry a team on his back and has the mental fortitude to take that on. Quinn shouldn’t have been put in the position he was put in. The game was too close to keep trying to play like they were behind 3 TDs all night. 

12 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

They stack the box just a few midrange passes to back them the fuck up.   You know, the only type of pass Ewers seems remotely capable of making right now.

ugh  I’m getting angry again

• Hook 'Em 1

Running game wasn't gonna work the way they were doing it last night. They would have needed to spread them out and run from there, and even then, they were keying on Bijan. The entire OL, and especially Hutson, had a rough night. They lived in our backfield on most snaps. The main success we had was throwing to JWhitt on screens and letting him beat guys in space.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

Ewers doesn’t run or when he does it’s a blatant holding call that loses more yardage than the sack. I think some of you need to actually watch the game sober and without any negativity. Starting 0/7 was hardly Quinn’s fault and the receivers are really fucking him over. It leads to trying to play hero ball and he can’t hero ball yet. 

the honest answer is Bijan needed 25+ Carrie’s and rojo needed another 15+ Quinn has no business throwing the ball 40+ times even if he’s on fire. It’s a disgrace. 

Yep, all of this. The 0/7 was mega bullshit, and I bet it’s pretty hard trying to get into a rhythm when your best guys are dropping balls left and right. Hell, I’d like to see more bijan in the slot and we actually throw it to him a la Iowa st. We can have a solid intermediate passing game only involving Bijan, Sanders, Whitt, and K Rob. I don’t know why Sark is obsessed with the deep ball to Worthy so much when we only need 3 yards for the first and two downs to get it. 

What’s disheartening is that even Ewers is saying his footwork is bad and he needs to work on it. Sark has seemed not to notice this the past few weeks. He has no problem dialing up 40 pass plays for Quinn while everyone with eyesight can tell he’s struggling. Yet he never once pulled Quinn for a series to talk to him on the sideline. Hey what’s going on? And maybe put in Card for a series or two (this in no way means Card is the starter or should be or that Quinn is being replaced—but a HC talks to his QB and can see the shit footwork and dials up plays that help his QB—if he wasn’t going to pull him even for a series or two) but Sark made it clear it wouldn’t be fair to Card to do so—-so it was fair to make Quinn throw 39 passes in a game where he was off a lot and has been for weeks? 

I will always come down on the side of players and not the coaches. Will always be harder on the coaches than the players. Sark acted like in the after game presser and in today’s presser that it was just the one “off” night. Clearly, he ain’t watching the game and needs to be in the booth with binoculars. When your QB is regressing or reverting to bad habits and such you talk to him on the sideline. Maybe you pull him for a series or two so he can reset and regroup. That’s what a HC does. Jmo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Running game wasn't gonna work the way they were doing it last night. They would have needed to spread them out and run from there, and even then, they were keying on Bijan. The entire OL, and especially Hutson, had a rough night. They lived in our backfield on most snaps. The main success we had was throwing to JWhitt on screens and letting him beat guys in space.

This just isn’t at all true as much as you want it to be true. The passing game wasn’t going to work on Saturday. It was obvious after 0/7.

I’m not in here saying if Quinn didn’t play better it wouldn’t have made a drastic difference in the outcome. It definitely would have and I hope he takes it seriously, works on his reads and studies film and works on his footwork in a crumbling pocket. I want all of those things to happen. I also want the head fucking football coach to not call so many mother fucking pass plays when they aren’t working and we have 2 insane running backs. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, immamac said:

This just isn’t at all true as much as you want it to be true. The passing game wasn’t going to work on Saturday. It was obvious after 0/7.

I’m not in here saying if Quinn didn’t play better it wouldn’t have made a drastic difference in the outcome. It definitely would have and I hope he takes it seriously, works on his reads and studies film and works on his footwork in a crumbling pocket. I want all of those things to happen. I also want the head fucking football coach to not call so many mother fucking pass plays when they aren’t working and we have 2 insane running backs. 

You're wrong, and that's okay. They tried playing tight formations and got beat over and over. The way TCU was lining up and moving post snap was damn near daring us to beat them with the pass.

• Hook 'Em 2

Half way through the first quarter it felt the 180 of how I felt half way through the first quarter of the ou game. During that game I said out loud “they can’t pass”. texas knew it, just like tcu knew it.

[quote post="4821854" timestamp="1668482137" name="Atticus" userid="The main success we had was throwing to JWhitt on screens and letting him beat guys in space.

Out of trips too. Easy throws. No QB thinking.

Each of the last two years when the offense falters we do not use all our resources or make use of easy plays. Our resources are as good as anyone in the country for this. Keilan, Whitt, Worthy, Sanders then Bijan/Roschon. Spread those mothers out sideline to sideline and force them to make one on one tackles. If it doesn’t work, we still don’t score less than zero in the first half.

Our pass blocking was solid. You can’t block extra guys. That’s where they hurt us so forcing the run was going to be inconsistent at best.

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

[quote post="4821854" timestamp="1668482137" name="Atticus" userid="The main success we had was throwing to JWhitt on screens and letting him beat guys in space.

Out of trips too. Easy throws. No QB thinking.

Each of the last two years when the offense falters we do not use all our resources or make use of easy plays. Our resources are as good as anyone in the country for this. Keilan, Whitt, Worthy, Sanders then Bijan/Roschon. Spread those mothers out sideline to sideline and force them to make one on one tackles. If it doesn’t work, we still don’t score less than zero in the first half.

Our pass blocking was solid. You can’t block extra guys. That’s where they hurt us so forcing the run was going to be inconsistent at best.

This is the correct answer. 4 or 5 wide forces teams to declare what they are in, and then you can see what mismatches you have. A lot less reading to do. It's hard to throw when you have 3 against 7. We should spread them out and try to run from 11 personnel. 

• Rage+1 1

Bijan had one of his better runs after we hit Whitt on a few WR screens to the outside. TCU played off the 3-wide side. Some slants would be big time here, but we won’t run them. Again easy reads, easy throws.

Thought the reason Bill Walsh used to script his plays was to determine defensive tendencies. 2nd half collapses don’t seem to follow suit for Sark in this regard. Also, if that were the case, it’d seem like we’d find our best option before late in the 3rd. So if Sarks scripting, it’s so he doesn’t forget his favorite plays.

We’ve got options that’ll work. We just need to move on quicker when they aren’t working and get to the next thing. And for heavens sake, 5-7 yard plays are great for an offense.

we can dance around reality all day by trying to parse this specific play or that specific play in an effort to spread some blame around, but nobody here can honestly defend the play of quinn ewers, nor can anyone give legitimate, football-based takes that say that it's a certainty that quinn will become "the guy" if we all just give him time. period. i honestly don't want to hear any more talk about any of our WR's, because none of them have anything to do with how bad quinn has been, and how far away he is from being even a solid Big XII QB.

I completely agree Quinn has been terrible. I haven’t seen a Texas quarterback throw the ball so poorly since Jerrod Heard or Tyrone swoops. He looks overwhelmed and I don’t think that’s ice water in his veins it’s more like gravy. Plays with no sense of urgency or fire just bad all around. I hope it is just being a freshman because with a QB with a solid arm one that’s able to read the defense pre snap we win in OK and probably this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

First time seeing the video of Worthy versus what I saw from being at the game live.  Worthy leaving will be addition by subtraction if we go get a WR with some fight in him that can catch.  He either dropped the ball or for some reason does not come back for the ball to help his QB out but instead falls away from contact.  I get he has speed but any decent NFL scout will shy away from him based on this type of film.  They want guys that will fight for the ball and not hang their QB out to dry.  On that first throw Ewers may have been late but look at Worthy falling away from the ball allowing the defender to knock it away.  If that was a legit WR he comes back for that ball and he catches that shit.  

Yep. Pretty hard to deny once you see it on video. 

7 hours ago, Levi said:

Ewers is obviously struggling, whether it be his mechanics or between the ears. That’s undeniable right now and anyone saying otherwise is living in a fantasy. But I don’t know how any of you can just toss him to the side and already call him a bust. 

By and large we’re neither calling him bust nor expecting him to perform like Bryce Young. 

We expect him to be subbed when the situation demands it, so he can be coached in gametime and the team has a chance of winning. 

7 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I just wanted to chime back in because I am not sure people here know what they are looking at. A lot of the deep throws he is missing are Worthy being pushed off his route, which goes along with what the walk on QB who wanted to remain anonymous said about him. He said X gets moved off his route to easily. Look above at the vertical route. He starts on the numbers and Quinn throws it to his outside shoulder. By the time the ball lands X is damn near on the sideline and the ball is inside about 2 yards. The one that was double coverage is a bad route too even though it was underthrown. You have to keep that route skinny on the break. Flattening the route allows the other defender to catch up to you as well as the DB on your hip to undercut the route. Someone needs to chart what Ewers' completion percentage is outside of Worthy these last few games. I would be interested to see that. Between drops, lack of effort, and bad routes I bet it is much better extrapolated out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Atticus said:

Best play was that RPO with JWhitt screen attached. I think Texas ran it 3 times. I believe Bijan got 8/9 on it once (his best run) and JWhitt had 2 gains of 10+. There were things there. While the running game was struggling for both teams, TCU stuck with it and the damn finally broke. No idea if that would have happened for Texas, but Texas went away from it. I believe Bijan came into the game with the most 40 yard runs of any RB in the country, so it only takes 1 and this was a 1 score game until late. Though spreading it out in the late 3Q worked, outside of the final 5 yards. The one thing you notice on the deep stuff to Worthy, is that there is seems to be an almost guarantee that either Ewers will miss him or Worthy will not make a play. Worthy is not very good on deep balls. Quinn has not be very good on deep balls. I am not a genius, but when you put those 2 things together, you probably need to find something other than throwing 3-5 deep balls to Worthy in your game plan. 

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Someone needs to chart what Ewers' completion percentage is outside of Worthy these last few games.

I agree, people who are laying this completely on Ewers are one dimensional critics. Unless Ewers is uncoachable, then a bunch of this is on Sark. It's painfully obvious that there are game plan adjustments not being made and Sark cannot rely on his inexperienced QB to be an in-game manager. Walking up to a defense front obviously stacking for the run, sticking with a run up the middle and not changing the play is lazy and/or inept head coaching. Continuing to allow Quinn to zone in on Worthy on a deep route time and time again has been mind boggling. Definition of insanity type behavior.  Minimal involvement of some other extremely talented offensive players is poor coaching. Sark needs to adapt and while there have been some very creative play calls, he craps the bed when he stubbornly sticks to his script. Yes, it sucks that players are making stupid mistakes, but you need to coach around it.  Certainly you can score a touchdown in a game and a half with the personnel on the roster. The stubbornness of Sark trying to enact "his" offense with players who cannot operate it yet and scheming so predictably that an opposing D coordinator with an IQ of 78 can figure you out will be his downfall.   

Edited by Newdoc

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Tough criticism Texas QB when yah struggle

What a shock an idiot fan that posts on OB.  Shocked I tell ya.  I’m also veeeerrrrryy shocked Quinn is going through growing pains as a true freshman.  SHOCKED!!!   Who could have seen this coming?   I do like that he seems to be taking some personal responsibility and looking at how to correct his accuracy issues.  He’s just not seeing the field very well right now.  He is definitely not getting much help from his oline and especially his receivers.  I’m reminded why everyone in the country wanted him when he flashes just how good he can be but when he has setbacks the expert “fans” lose their shit.  It’s frustrating for sure but not in the least because bit surprising.  If they win the last two games and the bowl game these same dipshit expert fans will claim him the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy for next year.  Everything is zero sum.  

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Thatguy said:

that is dog shit performance.

5 minutes ago, stork642 said:

What a shock an idiot fan that posts on OB.  Shocked I tell ya.  I’m also veeeerrrrryy shocked Quinn is going through growing pains as a true freshman.  SHOCKED!!!   Who could have seen this coming?   I do like that he seems to be taking some personal responsibility and looking at how to correct his accuracy issues.  He’s just not seeing the field very well right now.  He is definitely not getting much help from his oline and especially his receivers.  I’m reminded why everyone in the country wanted him when he flashes just how good he can be but when he has setbacks the expert “fans” lose their shit.  It’s frustrating for sure but not in the least because bit surprising.  If they win the last two games and the bowl game these same dipshit expert fans will claim him the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy for next year.  Everything is zero sum.  

Exactly.  It's akin to drafting a great QB with the first pick of the NFL draft and then seeing him struggle his rookie year when you start him immediately behind your mediocre to bad O line and not great WR's.  You shouldn't label that QB a bust in that scenario when sometimes it takes time for players to develop.  If, and it's a big if, but like you said if we win the last 2 games this team will have gone 8-4 with a huge win over OU and not getting blown out by anybody including Bama.  I'm pretty sure most rational posters on this board would have taken that before the season started.

18 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

if we win the last 2 games this team will have gone 8-4 with a huge win over OU and not getting blown out by anybody including Bama.  I'm pretty sure most rational posters on this board would have taken that before the season started.

If we finish the regular season 8-4 and win our bowl game this season has to be considered a huge success.

• Hook 'Em 6

Exactly.  It's akin to drafting a great QB with the first pick of the NFL draft and then seeing him struggle his rookie year when you start him immediately behind your mediocre to bad O line and not great WR's.  You shouldn't label that QB a bust in that scenario when sometimes it takes time for players to develop.  If, and it's a big if, but like you said if we win the last 2 games this team will have gone 8-4 with a huge win over OU and not getting blown out by anybody including Bama.  I'm pretty sure most rational posters on this board would have taken that before the season started.

If we finish the regular season 8-4 and win our bowl game this season has to be considered a huge success.

Maybe in a vacuum, but if you said before the season that those 4 losses would include two more blown double digit second half leads to inferior opponents in conference play, and one more where the offense put on a performance that made everyone nostalgic for Shawn Watson in the biggest game of the year, you’d probably get a different reaction.

There’s definitely still room to take positives out of ties season if they close strong, but “huge success” is off the table. This team should pretty clearly at least be in Arlington if not for coaching incompetence.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

12 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

14 hours ago, Thatguy said:

So besides waiting for the next Roy, BJ and Sloan to show up on campus how do you fix this?

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Maybe in a vacuum, but if you said before the season that those 4 losses would include two more blown double digit second half leads to inferior opponents in conference play, and one more where the offense put on a performance that made everyone nostalgic for Shawn Watson in the biggest game of the year, you’d probably get a different reaction.

There’s definitely still room to take positives out of ties season if they close strong, but “huge success” is off the table. This team should pretty clearly at least be in Arlington if not for coaching incompetence.

What about the 49-0 blowout of OU?  Not sure what you point is.  Preseason expectations don’t really mean anything do they.  Overall the team is better than last year.  The defense is significantly better and the offense is very inconsistent with a true freshman QB and young oline.  It is what it is.  Quinn started out great then got hurt and then opposing defenses figured out were his weaknesses are.  This team is so inconsistent I wouldn’t be surprised if they go 3-0 or 0-3 the next three games.  If I had to choose I would easily go with 3-0.  

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet