Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

Quinn obviously needs a lot of work and doesn't seem to have a lot of leadership ability, which is the most alarming thing about him. But, we've just seen too many examples of QBs being better with time for me to just totally write the dude off. JJ McCarthy wasnt very good in his limited snaps last year and looks like a much better, much more confident and polished played this year.

Probably should be benched for now though. I don't think he gives them a better chance to win than Card.

I've never seen a QB look so good early on whose game just turns to shit.  Mind bottled.  I mean, fuck, all we heard about was the beautiful deep ball he could throw.  Bull. Shit.  I suppose it could be the receivers running shitty routes but, jfc, most of those balls aren't w/in 5 yards of the receiver.  

Please, Arch, stick to your commit and sign!

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It's gonna be okay fellas. First and foremost the dude is a freshman despite all the hype and physical tools. Maybe its me being optimistic, but I believe we will one day look back at this like Colt in 07 or VY in 03. I don't think all of you understand how bad a situation we put QE in yesterday. This is the yardages he was in on 3rd and 4th down. 

3rd and 7

3rd and 10

3rd and 7

3rd and 15

3rd and 19

3rd and 10

3rd and 13

3rd and 10

3rd and 11

4th and 7

3rd and 17

4th and 17

No freshman QB is gonna have a good day when he is looking at that. Part of it on the line not being able to open up anything in the running game. Part of it is on receivers for not making an effort and dropping catchable passes. Part of it is on Sark for not getting something else going. Asking a freshman to throw into the teeth of a defense that is rushing 3 and dropping 8 with these yardages all game long is how you have a kid end up 17-38 or whatever he ended up being. I think he will be ok in the long run, but we need to temper our expectations as this is his first year on the field. 

That is a disaster

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It's gonna be okay fellas. First and foremost the dude is a freshman despite all the hype and physical tools. Maybe its me being optimistic, but I believe we will one day look back at this like Colt in 07 or VY in 03. I don't think all of you understand how bad a situation we put QE in yesterday. This is the yardages he was in on 3rd and 4th down. 

3rd and 7

3rd and 10

3rd and 7

3rd and 15

3rd and 19

3rd and 10

3rd and 13

3rd and 10

3rd and 11

4th and 7

3rd and 17

4th and 17

No freshman QB is gonna have a good day when he is looking at that. Part of it on the line not being able to open up anything in the running game. Part of it is on receivers for not making an effort and dropping catchable passes. Part of it is on Sark for not getting something else going. Asking a freshman to throw into the teeth of a defense that is rushing 3 and dropping 8 with these yardages all game long is how you have a kid end up 17-38 or whatever he ended up being. I think he will be ok in the long run, but we need to temper our expectations as this is his first year on the field. 

Yeah, as stated above we need to learn how to attack the 3-3-5 drop 8.  To me, that’s on the coaches to rein in those low percentage long throws.  If QE is bombing despite orders not to, then bench him.

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

3rd and 7

3rd and 10

3rd and 7

3rd and 15

3rd and 19

3rd and 10

3rd and 13

3rd and 10

3rd and 11

4th and 7

3rd and 17

4th and 17

Lol if he didnt shit the bed on first and second down, then he wouldnt have been in jail on third down

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

3rd and 7

3rd and 10

3rd and 7

3rd and 15

3rd and 19

3rd and 10

3rd and 13

3rd and 10

3rd and 11

4th and 7

3rd and 17

4th and 17

this made me look (quickly, so I apologize if anything is off). I excluded the last drive and the goal line offense 

called a pass on 1st down 13 times. 4 incompletions and 100 yards (that includes 29 yards in PI calls)

called 6 runs for 17 yards.. 4 of them went for 0 yards. 

shocked but Texas was solid  throwing the ball in 1st down. 

I counted 15 2nd downs. Texas was ahead of the chains just 3 times. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Lol if he didnt shit the bed on first and second down, then he wouldnt have been in jail on third down

he was supposed to catch it too?  And run?  12 carries for 29 yards for Bijan.  5 carries for 14 yards for Roshan.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

3rd and 7

3rd and 10

3rd and 7

3rd and 15

3rd and 19

3rd and 10

3rd and 13

3rd and 10

3rd and 11

4th and 7

3rd and 17

4th and 17

quinn has been looking terrible since long before saturday, and a huge part of why we were in so many 3rd and long situations is because Quinn has been so terrible. TCU watches film, which is why their entire defensive game plan was to crash in on Bijan and make Quinn beat them with his arm. the result: zero offensive TDs. you're acting like everyone else is just letting him down, when in reality he misses more open throws than any Texas qb in recent memory.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

quinn has been looking terrible since long before saturday, and a huge part of why we were in so many 3rd and long situations is because Quinn has been so terrible. TCU watches film, which is why their entire defensive game plan was to crash in on Bijan and make Quinn beat them with his arm. the result: zero offensive TDs. you're acting like everyone else is just letting him down, when in reality he misses more open throws than any Texas qb in recent memory.

This isnt a Quinn thing. This is a logic and normal defense thing.  Almost all defensive game plans are designed to stop the run first in college (excluding the Pirate and some of his disciples). Stopping the run and putting the offense in predictable situations, is the goal of almost all game plans. Throw in a freshman QB and a 1st round pick at RB, you would have to be an idiot to devise any game plan that did not focus on the run. 

• Hook 'Em 3

So in our losses this season we couldn’t do anything but lose because after halftime our opponents put together an impenetrable defense that no one can beat? Or is it more that Sark doesn’t adjust, won’t hire a real OC, and our players make sloppy errors? 

Pulling Quinn for a few series doesn’t make Card the starter or create a controversy. I don’t understand why anyone would think that. QBs revert sometimes to bad play and it’s up to the HC or QB guru to get them back on track. Reid even does it with Mahommes. Sometimes you just need a spark and a reset just to win the game. Winning that game would have been huge for us. We lost…fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

is he not getting the proper coaching support and game planning or is he not coachable ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

he’s throwing it a lot closer than that to worthy’s lazy ass. 

yes... i saw this

Now this is not a great throw by any means, but I am amazed that X made almost no adjustment to the ball. He just throws his arms out in a half ass attempt to make a play. Notice the DB is on Worthy's back running step for step with him. He then adjusts to the ball and catches it.  If anything there is too much air on this, so it is not like X doesnt have time to adjust to the ball. It doesnt appear that X even thinks about attempting to high point this ball... 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

yes... i saw this

Now this is not a great throw by any means, but I am amazed that X made almost no adjustment to the ball. He just throws his arms out in a half ass attempt to make a play. Notice the DB is on Worthy's back running step for step with him. He then adjusts to the ball and catches it.  If anything there is too much air on this, so it is not like X doesnt have time to adjust to the ball. It doesnt appear that X even thinks about attempting to high point this ball... 

I can't put that on worthy, That ball was 2 yards behind him and he was running full tilt, if the ball was thrown 6 yards further its probably a TD. The only thing you can't do there as a QB is under throw it and that is what Quinn did. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

yes... i saw this

It's tough when X is used to the ball being 7 yards overthrown, only to have Ewers underthrow him for once.  His momentum was going full-tilt the other way, and then right as he was trying to come back to the ball, the other defender took him out.  Hodges-Tomlinson is a damn good player, read the trajectory quicker, and had a better angle toward the ball.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I can't put that on worthy, That ball was 2 yards behind him and he was running full tilt, if the ball was thrown 6 yards further its probably a TD. The only thing you can't do there as a QB is under throw it and that is what Quinn did. 

Both the DB and Worthy are running stride for stride, but Worthy can not slow down and the DB can? This goes to Worthy's ability to track the ball and make adjustments. A ball slightly underthrown is usually a PI or an incompletion. 

11 minutes ago, Juicy said:

challenge is Worthy never ever looks for the ball. He just runs as fast as he can and then no matter where ball is never fights for it. Throwing a deep ball at this point to him is a wasted play as A) Ewers can't get it to him & B) Worthy makes zero attempt to track any pass that's deep anyway

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

As a WR, Worthy has to be able to track that ball and at least make them consider calling PI.

The DB on his hip tracked and adjusted to the ball intended for the WR better than he did. 

Thank You.. This is just one example. The Lunch with Coach also hit on this. He mention a deep ball that should have been a PI in his eyes, not sure if this one, but the WR failed to fight for the ball.  He also mentioned how little space and separation the WR are getting in general and how they are frequently rerouted. That is going to be an issue for Worthy, given how slight he is. 

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Both the DB and Worthy are running stride for stride, but Worthy can not slow down and the DB can? This goes to Worthy's ability to track the ball and make adjustments. A ball slightly underthrown is usually a PI or an incompletion. 

Worthy was heading deep and towards the center of the field.  The throw was not only short but also behind him.  Hodges-Tomlinson only needed to slow down, whereas Worthy would have had to completely stop and run back towards the ball.  If you watch the clip from this angle, you'll see it.

image.png.3451fc868d4069a5e1d4cfffec6c5658.png

image.png.2cb8d9f4e136035a54b2c08405933e86.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

Worthy was heading deep and towards the center of the field.  The throw was not only short but also behind him.  Hodges-Tomlinson only needed to slow down, whereas Worthy would have had to completely stop and run back towards the ball.  If you watch the clip from this angle, you'll see it.

in Clip 1 the DB and WR are pretty much even with each other. Clip 2 the DB has already turned and Worthy has not. You are forgetting that it is possible for Worthy to slow down prior to that last step. I am not saying Worthy should have caught this ball. I am saying that this should have been at a minimum a 50/50 ball. The reason it was not a 50/50 ball was because the DB displayed better ball skills. 

• Hook 'Em 1

we can dance around reality all day by trying to parse this specific play or that specific play in an effort to spread some blame around, but nobody here can honestly defend the play of quinn ewers, nor can anyone give legitimate, football-based takes that say that it's a certainty that quinn will become "the guy" if we all just give him time. period. i honestly don't want to hear any more talk about any of our WR's, because none of them have anything to do with how bad quinn has been, and how far away he is from being even a solid Big XII QB.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

in Clip 1 the DB and WR are pretty much even with each other. Clip 2 the DB has already turned and Worthy has not. You are forgetting that it is possible for Worthy to slow down prior to that last step. I am not saying Worthy should have caught this ball. I am saying that this should have been at a minimum a 50/50 ball. The reason it was not a 50/50 ball was because the DB displayed better ball skills. 

Hodges-Tomlinson still had a better angle on anything underthrown.  Worthy tried making a play on the ball, but got washed out just as he was coming back to the ball.

image.png.d90035e9ca292bb6a7edf3fcea42b425.png

It was still a terrible throw and a terrible decision to throw.  You know QB1 isn't very good when a lot of the debates on here are whether or not the receiver made a sufficient attempt to break up an interception, draw a PI, or why he didn't dive for a ball that was 5 yards overthrown when he was already running at full speed.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

There is a lot more going on than just QE missing throws. QE was 17 for 39. Off the top of my head I count at least 5 drops. Two by Worthy. One by Sanders. One by Whitt. One by Billingsley. 22-39 it they catch those. Then you have decent throws that got broken up. One in the EZ where Whitt is running a corner route. The one where Worthy weirdly jumps backwards for no reason. I saw at least two where the receiver ran the wrong route. The one where the freshman broke inside when it was supposed to be an out. The other one was when Whitt and whatever freshmen almost ran into each other on the left. We also couldn't run the ball at all. I think we had negative rushing yards in the second half. Then we had penalties putting us behind the chains. That's a lot of pressure for a freshman and he didn't respond to it well at all. 

Hodges-Tomlinson still had a better angle on anything underthrown.  Worthy tried making a play on the ball, but got washed out just as he was coming back to the ball.

image.png.d90035e9ca292bb6a7edf3fcea42b425.png

It was still a terrible throw and a terrible decision to throw.  You know QB1 isn't very good when a lot of the debates on here are whether or not the receiver made a sufficient attempt to break up an interception, draw a PI, or why he didn't dive for a ball that was 5 yards overthrown when he was already running at full speed.

Lol. The dude literally NEVER fights for the ball. At this point its time to quit making excuses for him. You guys are weird for giving Worthy a pass at this point. He made no effort to get to this ball at all and there were others in this game as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Here there are at the Texas 42/43 yard line. Notice the DB is if anything slightly ahead of Worthy

image.png.0ecbdc40f1f186d79b0c38460cc6800a.png

Here there are at the TCU 47 yard line. 

image.png.7aa8c59d5378fa972d69698a2ebd8dc1.png

Somehow Tomlinson has been able to go from slightly ahead of Worthy to about a yard behind to make the interception. That is ball skills. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

we can dance around reality all day by trying to parse this specific play or that specific play in an effort to spread some blame around, but nobody here can honestly defend the play of quinn ewers, nor can anyone give legitimate, football-based takes that say that it's a certainty that quinn will become "the guy" if we all just give him time. period. i honestly don't want to hear any more talk about any of our WR's, because none of them have anything to do with how bad quinn has been, and how far away he is from being even a solid Big XII QB.

Well then the basketball board is thataway my guy----------------------->

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

You're being too hard on Quinn here. And Sark.

When we're facing a 1st and Goal on the 5 i don't care who you are, you have to run three pass plays and take a bad snap. Any coach would have done the same thing. We don't have an elite rushing threat.

i also don't want to hear anything about him being a freshman, as if that's an excuse to be *this* bad. colt mccoy went from Tuscola Jim Ned to a redshirt year to a Heisman favorite. in fact Colt was 2nd in the Rocky Mountain News heisman poll when he was injured vs K State. colt had none of Ewers's "arm talent", colt couldn't "make every throw"- he was not physically blessed with any of quinn's gifts- but he could play quarterback.

physically, 19 year old QE looks a lot better than Colt McCoy does at some Elite 11 camp or when throwing the ball around in shorts and shirts. but what happens when you actually ask them to captain an offense on saturdays? it's not even close. QE has miles of progress left to make if he wants to be where Colt MCoy was as a freshman, and yet half this thread is just flippantly telling the rest of us that we're all jumping the gun, and that it's essentially a given that QE is going to become the QB was supposed to be. how does that work? again, if QE wasn't the anointed chosen one 3 years ago then nobody here would be acting like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Thatguy said:

Lol. The dude literally NEVER fights for the ball. At this point its time to quit making excuses for him. You guys are weird for giving Worthy a pass at this point. He made no effort to get to this ball at all and there were others in this game as well. 

You aren't understanding that he's running full speed towards the center of the field and the ball is short and BEHIND him.  He can't magically stop on a dime.  Hodges-Tomlinson had inside leverage and the ball was still out in front of him.  At this point, it's time to quit deflecting from the fact that Quinn sucks right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

There is a lot more going on than just QE missing throws. QE was 17 for 39. Off the top of my head I count at least 5 drops. Two by Worthy. One by Sanders. One by Whitt. One by Billingsley. 22-39 it they catch those. Then you have decent throws that got broken up. One in the EZ where Whitt is running a corner route. The one where Worthy weirdly jumps backwards for no reason. I saw at least two where the receiver ran the wrong route. The one where the freshman broke inside when it was supposed to be an out. The other one was when Whitt and whatever freshmen almost ran into each other on the left. We also couldn't run the ball at all. I think we had negative rushing yards in the second half. Then we had penalties putting us behind the chains. That's a lot of pressure for a freshman and he didn't respond to it well at all. 

i'll  repeat myself: i have zero desire to even mention quinn's receivers, because to do so is simply an attempt to deflect from the very valid criticisms being levied at quinn. being a QB is so much more than just pitch and catch, and quinn is bad at all if it. he can't read defenses, he's wildly inaccurate, he sucks as a leader, he doesn't know how to keep the chains moving, his footwork is atrocious, he dresses himself like an asshole, he folds under pressure, and his success on the field dives off a cliff once Sark's scripted plays run out.

stop talking about how Receiver A could have done something different on some ball that was woefully over or underthrown, as if that has anything to do with how bad quinn ewers is at playing QB for Texas. it's disingenuous BS. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

You aren't understanding that he's running full speed towards the center of the field and the ball is short and BEHIND him.  He can't magically stop on a dime.  Hodges-Tomlinson had inside leverage and the ball was still out in front of him.  At this point, it's time to quit deflecting from the fact that Quinn sucks right now.

they are both running full speed. Tomlinson has outside leverage. Worthy is inside him all the way. I was not deflecting. I started out saying this was not a great throw. If you do not want to discuss this play and just want to go after Quinn that is your choice, but in that case you probably should not have commented on this play

Edited by Codaxx

I mean it's a pass he shouldn't have made. The safety was reading it the entire time. Look at 19 seconds into that video. So Quinn has to hit that on a dime or it's picked by either TCU player. Too deep, safety gets it. Too short, corner gets it. A pass he's not been making since Alabama. 

• Hook 'Em 1

DB is actually high. If he can adjust to the ball so can X. Ill advised throw but ask yourself if that was J-Whitt how that would've went down. I think we all know the answer. Either Whitt is getting it or nobody is. That's how a receiver is supposed to be. 

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Here there are at the Texas 42/43 yard line. Notice the DB is if anything slightly ahead of Worthy

image.png.0ecbdc40f1f186d79b0c38460cc6800a.png

Here there are at the TCU 47 yard line. 

image.png.7aa8c59d5378fa972d69698a2ebd8dc1.png

Somehow Tomlinson has been able to go from slightly ahead of Worthy to about a yard behind to make the interception. That is ball skills. 

Worthy was going this way, when HT was going this way.

image.png.7af500c1ecb70f80f16bf9b265a71fad.png

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

@Thatguy says:

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

And that doesn't happen for other QB's? You expend a lot of words on here to explain away a QB with a sub-50% completion percentage in his last four games. I don't think Sark is doing him a whole lot of favors with play-calling but I don't even see flashes from Ewers any more.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Worthy was going this way, when HT was going this way.

image.png.7af500c1ecb70f80f16bf9b265a71fad.png

Exactly!!! because Tomlinson is anticipating where the ball will be and not just running a route. Remember they were both running at the same angle on the 45 and 10 yards later they are traveling to different locations. It is called ball skills

Edited by Codaxx

Just now, Codaxx said:

Exactly!!! because Tomlinson is anticipating where the ball will be and not just running a route. It is called ball skills. 

I said HT read the ball quicker than Worthy.  But Worthy's momentum was taking him in a different direction that made it nearly impossible to make a play on the ball, especially since he was getting tackled when coming back.  You try sprinting deep and to the center of the field, only to have it thrown short and behind you...now try stopping and coming back to the ball.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'll  repeat myself: i have zero desire to even mention quinn's receivers, because to do so is simply an attempt to deflect from the very valid criticisms being levied at quinn. being a QB is so much more than just pitch and catch, and quinn is bad at all if it. he can't read defenses, he's wildly inaccurate, he sucks as a leader, he doesn't know how to keep the chains moving, his footwork is atrocious, he dresses himself like an asshole, he fold under pressure, and his success on the field dives off a cliff once Sark's scripted plays run out.

stop talking about how Receiver A could have done something different on some ball that was woefully over or underthrown, as if that has anything to do with how bad quinn ewers is at playing QB for Texas. it's disingenuous BS. 

We are trotting him out there throwing into modern defenses with 12 personnel, you know that right? That means he usually has 3 targets. One of those seems disinterested in being part of the offense and when you only have two others(J-Whitt and Sanders) out in routes its not as easy as it seems to throw into that. People wonder why we target X so much. It's because we have to. Go back and look at the offenses of the 70's and 80's and look at completion percentages back when they had 2 receivers, a fullback, and a tight end. When teams used to utilize run heavy offenses they had less targets, and so completion percentages were shit. Now go and rewatch the game. Watch how much better QE got when we went empty and brought in more receiving targets. Still not perfect but he looked a hell of a lot better. He wasn't good Derk but he had a lot of help in being not good. No one did anything positive for him and that includes Sark. 

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

We are trotting him out there throwing into modern defenses with 12 personnel, you know that right? That means he usually has 3 targets. One of those seems disinterested in being part of the offense and when you only have two others(J-Whitt and Sanders) out in routes its not as easy as it seems to throw into that. People wonder why we target X so much. It's because we have to. Go back and look at the offenses of the 70's and 80's and look at completion percentages back when they had 2 receivers, a fullback, and a tight end. When teams used to utilize run heavy offenses they had less targets, and so completion percentages were shit. Now go and rewatch the game. Watch how much better QE got when we went empty and brought in more receiving targets. Still not perfect but he looked a hell of a lot better. He wasn't good Derk but he had a lot of help in being not good. No one did anything positive for him and that includes Sark. 

your refusal to just speak about Quinn as a QB speaks volumes. deflect deflect deflect.

• Hook 'Em 3

It wasn’t that they had less targets then, they didn’t give a shit about the forward pass unless it was 3rd and long. They didn’t practice it like they do now.

Guys are open and Quinn is not seeing them, or overthrowing them, or they are dropping the ball. Quinn has obvious arm talent, but poor footwork, doesn't appear to be able to read the defense, and really likes to try and squeeze a ball into double, triple, and quadruple coverage. The scheme appears to work in that people are open. Our execution is horrible. It honestly looks like we don't practice the offense. I'd like to think that our young roster is just struggling to learn the various route options that come in every play and that they will come around. But I really think we just don't know how to practice. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet