Game Week- Iowa State

Wulaw Horn

Cross-post...

Defense travels.  Cyclones did give up 31pts to Baylor.  But Kansas only scored 14pts and K-State scored 10pts on Cyclones defense.

Klieman said that Cyclones rush defense is one of the best in CFB this year.  

Regular Season
DATE OPPONENT RESULT        
Sat, 9/3
vsSEMOSEMO
W42-10        
Sat, 9/10
@IOWAIOWA
W10-7        
Sat, 9/17
vsOHIOOHIO
W43-10        
Sat, 9/24
vsBAY17 BAY
L31-24        
Sat, 10/1
@KUKU
L14-11        
Sat, 10/8
vsKSU20 KSU
L10-9

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Cross-post...

Defense travels.  Cyclones did give up 31pts to Baylor.  But Kansas only scored 14pts and K-State scored 10pts on Cyclones defense.

Regular Season
DATE OPPONENT RESULT        
Sat, 9/3
vsSEMOSEMO
W42-10        
Sat, 9/10
@IOWAIOWA
W10-7        
Sat, 9/17
vsOHIOOHIO
W43-10        
Sat, 9/24
vsBAY17 BAY
L31-24        
Sat, 10/1
@KUKU
L14-11        
Sat, 10/8
vsKSU20 KSU
L10-9

ISU defense is legit. I am glad Quinn got to look at a shitty version of the drop 8 vs OU, before facing a legit version. This is going to be a big test for Quinn. 

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is actually the kind of game that the mud hole post was originally intended for. When our fan base would start to fret about a middle of the road team that we should clearly pound. 

Yeah, our fan base loves to lose its mind.  I think there are active threads for “show me another win” and “show me another loss” from this season.  We tend to get way too worried about whoever we play the week after OU. Should the team take them seriously? Sure……but us fans can sit around and yell mudhole all week because ultimately that’s what’s gonna happen!

SP+ update has Texas at #5, at #7 on offense, and #23 on defense. Reminder that it had us at #86 on defense at the end of last year

Preseason: 22, 8, 51

Post Week 1: 18, 8, 47

Post Week 2: 16, 7, 40

Post Week 3: 14, 8, 35

Post Week 4: 11, 7, 33

Post Week 5: 5, 7, 23

Post Week 6: 5, 7, 16

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

SP+ update has Texas at #5, at #7 on offense, and #23 on defense. Reminder that it had us at #86 on defense at the end of last year

That top line is supposed to be #16 on defense, obviously 

Yeah, our fan base loves to lose its mind.  I think there are active threads for “show me another win” and “show me another loss” from this season.  We tend to get way too worried about whoever we play the week after OU. Should the team take them seriously? Sure……but us fans can sit around and yell mudhole all week because ultimately that’s what’s gonna happen!

Maybe…but just don’t try to tell me they are terrible and we should win convincingly!
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Kansas can clearly move the ball so the fact they only got 14 points against ISU gives me pause. 

Glad this game is at DKR. That fans should be fired up after that OU game.

Yeah, Cyclones gave K-State offense a lot trouble this past Saturday...  

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's press conference because of the interesting matchup between Sarkisian and Heacock. Should be some good questions on how we'll approach a defense that's playing so well. 

I'm sorry, I blacked out for a second and was dreaming that there were competent journalists on the Longhorn football beat. Probably only 20% of the media members there even know who Heacock is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Cross-post...

Regular Season
DATE OPPONENT RESULT        
Sat, 9/3
vsSEMOSEMO
W42-10        
Sat, 9/10
@IOWAIOWA
W10-7        
Sat, 9/17
vsOHIOOHIO
W43-10        
Sat, 9/24
vsBAY17 BAY
L31-24        
Sat, 10/1
@KUKU
L14-11        
Sat, 10/8
vsKSU20 KSU
L10-9

RE: the run defense have they seen a QB anything close to Ewers that should help soften that up?

23 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

RE: the run defense have they seen a QB anything close to Ewers that should help soften that up?

Daniels is a pretty good QB but the stats from that game are really weird. Kansas only ran 46 plays in the entire game and Daniels only threw it 14 times. That is a very weird stat line. Did anybody see that game? Iowa State threw it mostly so it wasn't like they were just grinding it out and running clock.

Also it looks like Iowa State only lost that game because their field goal kicker had a disastrous day, missing three kicks in a three point loss.

Edited by Valmy77

27 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Shapen threw for 238 on 9 yards an attempt and they still held them to 2.9 a carry. The 31 Baylor put up was their most allowed by far. But QE should have enough success to open up Bijan as the game wears on. 

10 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

The challenge for the coaching staff will be convincing the players that they can’t just show up and beat the Texas Tech’s and Iowa State’s of the world, an unfortunate trend that seems to have been part of this program’s identity for a decade.  They’ve proven that they can get up for and compete with the Alabama’s of the world.  Now it’s time to prove they can bring the effort in less celebrated matchups.  I also think the coaching staff will be walking a fine line between allowing the OU performance foster team confidence while also getting the players to understand that the OU team they faced in the Cotton Bowl on Saturday was a shell of their former selves.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Well back in the day we played piggy the week after ou.   There was no surprise or trap game there.   We were always ready to play but in some cases a little beat up from the game in Dallas.   

this should be an ass kicking.   We are healthy and getting better week to week on both sides of the ball.  

campbell and his five star culture bs is about to fafo.    

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, sidis said:

It’s so utterly fucked up and unbelievable to me that one can truthfully say out loud that Iowa state has a three game winning streak against us. Fuck. 

Not for long. In one week's time, that will have finally ended.

Because they'll have a four game winning streak then.

😉

19 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Not for long. In one week's time, that will have finally ended.

Because they'll have a four game winning streak then.

😉

Fuck this shit.  Can’t tell if you are trying to make a joke or not … their scheme is designed to keep the score down but I think we have too many dudes.   They won’t be able to keep this game in the teens.    In summary - They are fucked.  

6 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Another F’ing 11am game.

I know. I have something to do that day so I was hoping it would be a 6:30 kick so I could watch it but no.

Damn it, 

47 minutes ago, sidis said:

It’s so utterly fucked up and unbelievable to me that one can truthfully say out loud that Iowa state has a three game winning streak against us. Fuck. 

It's not unbelievable at all. We have sucked shit. Lots of people have winning streaks against us going into this season. We ended one yesterday, hopefully end another next Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think Iowa State will be a much more challenging test for Texas than OU.  It's actually unbelievable to me that I can say that after over 30 years of watching Texas football.  A bit of a post-OU hangover for Texas wouldn't surprise me, either.

However, I also don't think that Iowa State has seen a QB like Ewers yet this season.  Shapen at Baylor is probably the best QB they have faced up to now.  Hard to gauge how good their defense is based on the level of competition they have played.  If they sell out to stop the run, Ewers will abuse their secondary and make them pay dearly.

Something like a 31-17 win for Texas seems about right to me here.

• Hook 'Em 6

yeah, this is not your grandpa's Arkansas piggie game after OU.  The problem is that we have not been here before.  We have never been in the land of total domination of OU including a shut out to fat and happy, ready to be slaughtered the next week.  I suspect there to be some hangover, but hopefully we will have turned the corner and we can win both the 3rd and 4th quarters.  We are probably a 10 point favorite, which is too much, imo.  

Obviously the big match up is our O vs our D.  I saw most of their game the other day.  They had a very good FG kicker, and that's about it.  I have no idea where their offense was.  One thing is for sure, the Big 12 refs will be out for blood in this game.  Expect big numbers called against us.  

15 hours ago, Fud said:

What site are you using?  There are some differences I notice with the one I generally look at.

NCAA College Football FBS Stats | NCAA.com

30 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

We have never been in the land of total domination of OU including a shut out to fat and happy

yeah we're usually a few days' journey south of that happy kingdom, in the dark, volcano ash-covered deserts of Don't Let Them Beat You Twice-dor.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

maybe even more important than victory over ISU would be having no ABC cameras trained on the 'Hellraisers', easily the ugliest people in the stadium, who somehow get prime seats.  This needs to end. 

I wonder what that redhead’s up to these days. 
Game’s in Austin. Never mind. 

Edited by Kennythetiger
Really am a retarded tiger.
  • Drool 1