APD didnt exactly give this guy time to react

52-80

Need some background info on that.  

What was the guy doing torching off rounds at his own house?  Who was he taking to before the cops rolled up?  

Firing shots in town then standing around with your rifle in your mitts when the cops show up is a great recipe to get filled full of holes by the cops.  

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, deadshank said:

What was the guy doing torching off rounds at his own house?  Who was he taking to before the cops rolled up?  

Firing shots in town then standing around with your rifle in your mitts when the cops show up is a great recipe to get filled full of holes by the cops.  

The Original | Oh, I'm Sorry, I Thought This Was America | Know Your Meme

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

My initial reaction is fuck that dumbass. 

Was someone else in the house? or was he talking to himself/ other personalities?

Was slightly surprised shot from cops was a bit stormtropper-ish.

13 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think he was talking to himself. Is that a question on the form you fill out to buy a weapon of war?

CR is that way>>>>>>>>>>>>

Was the dude defending his property from an intruder?  I don't see a reason to discharge his rifle into the house in the city otherwise.  If cops already knew that he was firing his weapon its hard to blame them for taking him down.  I think talking him down may have been an option prior to him firing his weapon.  Its damn hard to know who the bad guy is and harder to assume your the victim standing outside the home with a rifle. shitty situation.

If he was pointing the gun at the officer, no reason to waste time telling him to drop the gun.  Cops are not required to wait to see if the gunman is going to comply with commands when he's swinging a gun around.  I saw a video the other day from the shooter's perspective and, iirc, he was pointing the gun around the corner toward the cop car when they arrived.

I’m pretty sure he was talking to no one and was imagining it.

My first reaction was a completely justified shooting by the cops, but then I realized it really depends upon what the cops already knew and saw. 

If they really just rolled up after hearing a shot fired and saw a guy holding a gun, there could have been a lot of different scenarios that they may not have understood. For example, what if he was someone protecting himself from the actual shooter? How would they know? Cops would have made a tragic mistake. Of course they didn’t.

Or alternatively, what if they believed he was about to shoot someone else and knew that he was firing off at nobody. Then it’s completely justified.

What it says to me is that sometimes it’s extremely difficult for an officer to make a split second decision on what to do in a circumstance and we sometimes shouldn’t be considering criminal or even allowing civil suits for officers in those types of situations. 

Edit: just saw that cops had a pretty good idea of what was going on. 

Edited by Dbeasy

28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What it says to me is that sometimes it’s extremely difficult for an officer to make a split second decision on what to do in a circumstance and we sometimes shouldn’t be considering criminal or even allowing civil suits for officers in those types of situations. 

Oh fucking bullshit. Cops already get qualified immunity. And it does nothing but cause problems. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

House was supposedly empty, so dude was probably hallucinating or something. 

A round was fired when cops just arrived, but unless it was known he was actively shooting *at* someone, or a gun was raised towards the cop (camera didnt show either way), shooting at him seemed premature

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I saw a video the other day from the shooter's perspective and, iirc, he was pointing the gun around the corner toward the cop car when they arrived.

Yesterday (Dec 1) was supposed to be first day footage was made available to public, following some prelim investigation. 

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

that was a surprisingly accurate shot from that distance by the cop, with a handgun I presume. 

Look at body cam videos.  The cops were using ARs.  They aint no kinda Raylan Givens.

Edited by deadshank
Nevermind. I now see your follow up post.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

If he was pointing the gun at the officer, no reason to waste time telling him to drop the gun.  Cops are not required to wait to see if the gunman is going to comply with commands when he's swinging a gun around.  I saw a video the other day from the shooter's perspective and, iirc, he was pointing the gun around the corner toward the cop car when they arrived.

He wasn't pointing the gun at the cops.   The cops just killed him.   I seem to recall Kyle Rittenhouse not getting killed while holding a similar weapon after recently killing and injuring people.   

Ultimately, the police and the citizens having weapons of war is fucking stupid.   

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nivek said:

He wasn't pointing the gun at the cops.   The cops just killed him.   I seem to recall Kyle Rittenhouse not getting killed while holding a similar weapon after recently killing and injuring people.   

Not a similar comparison. Rittenhouse was in full view of cops even from a distance, with both hands up, and clearly submitting to them. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Not a similar comparison. Rittenhouse was in full view of cops even from a distance, with both hands up, and clearly submitting to them. 

Never said it was a one-to-one comparison.  Just that one killer was given time.   One shooter was not. 

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Too much time in CR

I feel like I’ve been treated fairly by the CR. I think it’s a mix of people. Having said that, a fair majority take their marching orders from their party. It reminds me of my sorority sister that would go these conventions and bring back pamphlets and shit and be so into the message and that’s all she could talk about.  But debate her and it was like, “Oh so you disagree with me. Then you must be X, y and z bigot and don’t  care about these issues. 

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Certainly the cops 'could' have handled it differently with a better outcome, but I'm laying 90% of the blame at our lack of mental health care and the ability for mentally ill people to have access to firearms.

Bingo.

We have law enforcement with itchy trigger fingers.

But we have a heavily armed population with some seriously lethal shit which, literally, a batshit crazy person seeing visions of demons can walk into a dozen places in Travis County and acquire.  And we don't treat or do shit with regard to those batshit crazy people.

Oh, and law enforcement is terrible at being our "front line mental healthcare providers," which at present, they literally are.  I don't blame them for that failing -- they are not equipped for the job.  But, we've decide to put it on their plate just the same.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Certainly the cops 'could' have handled it differently with a better outcome, but I'm laying 90% of the blame at our lack of mental health care and the ability for mentally ill people to have access to firearms.

The mentally ill should not be able to acquire firearms.  There is no debating that.

Was this guy a firearm owner and then started having mental problems?   Perhaps? I don't know.  Just spit balling.

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

who the fuck cares. one less fucking crazy idiot with an assault weapon to worry about. 

I care.  Because being crazy shouldn't be a death sentence.  Being high shouldn't be a death sentence.   Hell, owing one of those stupid things shouldn't be a death sentence.   

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Nivek said:

I care.  Because being crazy shouldn't be a death sentence.  Being high shouldn't be a death sentence.   Hell, owing one of those stupid things shouldn't be a death sentence.   

fuck him. don't want to be shot by cops? don't shoot assault rifles in neighborhoods. 

he's dead because he's a stupid crazy shithead. 

cops didn't know who the the fuck he was. all they know is there's a dumbass walking around a neighborhood house with a rifle. they get out of their cars and hear a shot. they have no idea if it's at them or not. understandably they aren't going to wait around to find out and risk getting shot and risk getting into a shootout endangering all the people in surrounding houses.

with all the mass shootings, i'm not going to second guess the police when they shoot a dude who is talking shit to imaginary people and shooting an assault rifle into his home. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

fuck him. don't want to be shot by cops? don't shoot assault rifles in neighborhoods. 

he's dead because he's a stupid crazy shithead. 

cops didn't know who the the fuck he was. all they know is there's a dumbass walking around a neighborhood house with a rifle. they get out of their cars and hear a shot. they have no idea if it's at them or not. understandably they aren't going to wait around to find out and risk getting shot and risk getting into a shootout endangering all the people in surrounding houses.

with all the mass shootings, i'm not going to second guess the police when they shoot a dude who is talking shit to imaginary people and shooting an assault rifle into his home. 

Revisionist history^

He didn't point the gun at the cops.  It was down when they unloaded on him.   He wasn't walking around the neighborhood with an assault rifle.  He was outside his own porch.   He did fire, the cops should have been on guard.  They gave him 0 time to react or to surrender or drop the weapon.  

Cops have historically given 0 fucks about the collateral damage in neighboring houses.   The job of law enforcement is dangerous.  If they cannot handle the danger, then THEY SHOULDN'T BE COPS!   It is not like this is a fucking surprise element of the job.   Law enforcements rule of engagement should not be LESS than a soldier in an active combat zone in Iraq or Afghanistan.  

With all the mass shootings?  That is nonsensical and has ZERO bearing on how to appropriately respond. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.

We have law enforcement with itchy trigger fingers.

But we have a heavily armed population with some seriously lethal shit which, literally, a batshit crazy person seeing visions of demons can walk into a dozen places in Travis County and acquire.  And we don't treat or do shit with regard to those batshit crazy people.

Oh, and law enforcement is terrible at being our "front line mental healthcare providers," which at present, they literally are.  I don't blame them for that failing -- they are not equipped for the job.  But, we've decide to put it on their plate just the same.

This notion that we are going to have front line mental health pros in harm’s way is simple, and not well thought out. If you’re mentally unstable to the point you’re firing guns at your house, I don’t want anyone but the police responding to them. You’re put yourself at a point of no return and if you die, you die. 

you know how i know i'm not going to get shot by APD today?

i'm not going to walk outside my house talking shit to ghosts and discharge my weapon in a quiet neighborhood. 

glad yall want to defend this guy and blame the cops but he'd be alive if he did what i'm going to do today and everyday.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Revisionist history^

He didn't point the gun at the cops.  It was down when they unloaded on him.   He wasn't walking around the neighborhood with an assault rifle.  He was outside his own porch.   He did fire, the cops should have been on guard.  They gave him 0 time to react or to surrender or drop the weapon.  

Cops have historically given 0 fucks about the collateral damage in neighboring houses.   The job of law enforcement is dangerous.  If they cannot handle the danger, then THEY SHOULDN'T BE COPS!   It is not like this is a fucking surprise element of the job.   Law enforcements rule of engagement should not be LESS than a soldier in an active combat zone in Iraq or Afghanistan.  

With all the mass shootings?  That is nonsensical and has ZERO bearing on how to appropriately respond. 

What a well thought out post. With that said, I don’t give the slightest fuck this idiot is dead. The culpability is 100% on him and nobody else.