Prime Rib Christmas (Let's talk)

DallasSooner

58 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

@jimmyjazz that horseradish sauce was amazing

Good deal.  I can't remember where I got the original recipe.  I know I tweaked it, more sour cream (it was kinda strong), maybe more salt.  My wife makes me whip up a batch every time we have prime rib (which is pretty much once a year at Xmas).

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good deal.  I can't remember where I got the original recipe.  I know I tweaked it, more sour cream (it was kinda strong), maybe more salt.  My wife makes me whip up a batch every time we have prime rib (which is pretty much once a year at Xmas).

It was my first time attempting prime rib so I was glad I found this thread.  The aj jous was out of this world

Well I was going to post in shit I cooked lately, but here you go. This was a big boy 7 bone or whole side 15+ lbs.  Had to cut off a double cut Ribeye to fit in my roasting pan.

Did 475 degrees for right at 50 minutes, basically until it starts smoking.  Then turn it off and let is sit a minimum of one hour, before turning the oven back on at 350 degrees until the desired temp.  I usually pull it out just before 120 internal temp to let it rest as you will usually gain 5-10 degrees while resting before the temp begins to fall.

I may try to cook at 200 degree and pull at 120 degrees and lest rest for 45 minutes method, where you then return to over at 500 degrees for a few minutes for a good crust like Alton Brown and some other chefs suggest.  Simply as less rest time after the second firing next go round.  However the great thing about the cook and hold in oven method, is that the timing on the meat is a lot more flexible.  ALSO - kudos on the temp chart.  As somebody who has tried to educate folks on the stupidity of overcooking meats until the taste and texture is crap it explains why the suggested temp is so much higher than the NECESSARY temp to cook safely.

image.png.5c7333b6fded6f5b1941f7f6d6717f42.pngimage.png.83935ab8a43ec9a5c68ea8c1c7f6268d.png

So as I said above I basically had a cowboy cut ribeye steak left over.  I was worried about such a large ribeye on the grill catching fire as the fat melted.  So I knew I was going to end up with a hard sear on the outside to preserve the juice (Pittsburgh).  The drippings repeatedly caught fire and I moved it around to keep the flames at bay to some degree.  I cook a lot of stuff on the grill with a sear and the indirect, but nothing as fatty as a ribeye at this high a temp.  Set it off to the edge of the fire in a closed pit and rotated it so all the edges. So I guess it's WTF do you do when your prime rib eyes are bigger than your prime rib pan.  But not bad for first attempt!

image.png.d76ceebf0db9fcce0b8c3f09bdcf96d6.png 

image.png.c16630aa24ba1345e5ef6ef0a0b4cb6c.pngimage.png.e0922c15fcd6bbf70558bdfa27920ebf.png 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Can you share your horseradish recipe? Looks awesome.

Yeah, it was on the previous page, but here you go.  You can make it a day ahead.  I'd make sure you have a little extra sour cream and prepared horseradish so you can tweak to your preferences.  I bet some minced garlic would be good, too.

1 cup sour cream

1/4 cup grated prepared horseradish

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 4

The horseradish Recipe we use is a blend of roughly 50/50 mayo and sour cream, then we just add horseradish to taste and add some lemon juice to taste as well.  I will say that you can always cheat and just buy some Woeber's Horseradish sauce (which we always keep in fridge) and add some sour cream to bulk it up and give it texture.  But for a prepared squeezable Woeber's is the bomb.  It's pretty strong but delicious!

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

I try to do prime rib to MR whether in the oven, the gas grill indirect with wood chips, or the pellet smoker.  Last year’s Xmas PR was my first pellet smoked and it was OK.  Gonna smoke one again this year.

However, I saw a YouTube bubba’s self-proclaimed “experiment” to smoke a prime rib as he does brisket.  

In the beginning, he was apologetic for cooking beyond MR … but, the finished product looked good and juicy (if not pink) and he said he’d do it again.  I’m kinda intrigued 

Has anyone else blasphemed a prime rib?  Mistake?  Worth the risk of pissing off the boss?

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

Yeah, that's a pass.  Brisket needs to go that far because otherwise you'd tear out your teeth trying to chew through it.  Ribeye is the opposite.

PSA:  Sprouts has Choice bone-in ribeye roasts for $9.99/lb.  I grabbed a 6-pounder, it looks plenty marbled, I'll report back once I see if I wasted my money.

• Hook 'Em 3

Might not be doing prime rib this year.  We are heading up to mountains this afternoon, so I hit Costco to pick up a rib roast.  Holy fuck, that was a mistake.  The lines to check out WENT ALL THE FUCKING WAY TO THE BACK OF THE FUCKING STORE!  No, that's not an exaggeration.  Never seen anything like it.  I put my rib roast back and immediately left.  Who the fuck stands in a 1-2 hour Costco line to check out?

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Might not be doing prime rib this year.  We are heading up to mountains this afternoon, so I hit Costco to pick up a rib roast.  Holy fuck, that was a mistake.  The lines to check out WENT ALL THE FUCKING WAY TO THE BACK OF THE FUCKING STORE!  No, that's not an exaggeration.  Never seen anything like it.  I put my rib roast back and immediately left.  Who the fuck stands in a 1-2 hour Costco line to check out?

You put it back?  You're supposed to tuck it in with the peanuts and beef jerky, then slink away!

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I won't go near a Costco anymore. They are batshit bananas crowded every day, no matter time of day. 

Ours isn't.  I've never seen it anywhere close to this.  I think the issue is that, on top of Christmas, we've got some really cold (like 20 below) weather coming in to Denver tonight, so all the olds were stocking up for the 24 hour freeze.  I knew I should have run in last night just before they closed, but I wanted to watch the Nuggets game instead.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Was HEB closed?

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, that's a pass.  Brisket needs to go that far because otherwise you'd tear out your teeth trying to chew through it.  Ribeye is the opposite.

PSA:  Sprouts has Choice bone-in ribeye roasts for $9.99/lb.  I grabbed a 6-pounder, it looks plenty marbled, I'll report back once I see if I wasted my money.

Randalls ran a deal last year for like $6.99.  Wife dropped in and got the whole roast.  At that price if it ends up as roasted rib roast for sandwiches it is worth it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Randalls ran a deal last year for like $6.99.  Wife dropped in and got the whole roast.  At that price if it ends up as roasted rib roast for sandwiches it is worth it.  

I just checked -- $5.97/lb ("digital only", might need to use the app), but it's USDA Select, so could be kinda gnarly.  Then again, as you say, might work for sammiches.

I was going to get a prime rib roast, but then I got to Central Market and they were offering a wagyu rib roast for $3 more per pound.  And there was an "in for a penny . . ." aspect to my decisionmaking on that.

So now I'm very focused on how not to fuck this up.  There's no fucking way I'm going to try to smoke it.  Not with my old-ass smoker that has trouble holding temperature on a good day, and certainly not on a 30* day with blustery winds.  Plus, I don't want to be outside in that shit.  I imagine I could probably rig up my gas grill to do it with some wood chips, but again--that requires me going outside.  So I'm thinking just a nice and easy reverse sear.

a06410373ad338e7cffd35b63803e0fc.jpg

This was my first ever attempt. Smoked at 225 for almost 3 hours. Temp got away from me a bit. Was aiming for 125 internal and got busy and it got up to 134. Pulled it and rested it in the lower oven for an hour, then right before serving I blasted it at 500 in the upper oven for about 15 minutes. JimmyJazz’s sauce is phenomenal and is probably going to be the main reason I get some leg tonight when the kids go to bed. Googled au jus recipes and the one I did wasn’t a winner. Very bland. Meat was great. Will head to HEB (if they’re open) some time in the next couple days and snag another.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, mchookem said:

got a 10 lb, 4-bone in fridge now. bigger than i usually do, have some extra guests this year. i'm a little nervous bc of the size. 

Just relax, extra lub...

Treat it just like a smaller one, might take slightly longer is all.

(alsowhatshesaid.gif)

I'd plan to hit my target internal temp maybe an hour early, pull it, cool off the oven while heating the daylights out of a cast iron skillet on the stove, put the roast back in the cooler oven (maybe 170 F?) to keep and then sear the bejeezus out of that thing the moment before I want to serve it.  That's one nice thing about a reverse sear, there is no need for a rest period.  

Dang, I'm hungry.

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I just got handed the duties on an 18# behemoth. Kenji loves salting the shit out of it early and doing a reverse sear late; lots of other blogs say stay away from salt and go more low and slow. 

what would you do with this bad mamma jamma?

Don't know how much, or how little, salt Kenji wants, but a big piece of meat needs a lot of salt.

First and foremost.  Set your thermometer 10 degrees cooler than the temp you want to pull at.  I use this as my "go on alert" alarm, to start watching closely.  Even a smaller roast will go up 5-6 degrees from the time you pull it.  Seems like the bigger ones rise like 7-10 degrees when pulled.

But hopefully you are going to have leftovers!  If not buy a bigger damn roast!  But other than the usual sandwiches we have doing two things mainly with the leftovers.  IF we used Hawaiian rolls then I keep 3-4 of the rolls intact and create one larger roll.  Then we make Philly Cheese Steak, by browning the Hawaiian rolls in butter, and cook up some onion and shrooms in a pan and add in the thinly cut ribeye to finish.  We put the cheese on the to side of the toasted Hawaiian roll buns rather than melt it on the meat in the pan, simply as the control on the narrower Hawaiian rolls is tougher to manage.

But if you have both leftover roast and horseradish sauce, try making some quesadillas!  We have been making quesadillas of late with the leftovers.  Pick your own cheese, but I am telling you, the ribeye quesadillas are the frigging bomb.  And they are frigging something different!  I think I like them actually more than the cheese steaks.  So instead of that roast beef sandwich, take a look at the leftover cheese from the charcuterie board and make yourself a quesadilla, and dip it into the horseradish sauce. Delicioso!

PSA - Sprouts has Choice Angus Ribeye roast for $9.99 that I believe they will (or already have) cut the ribs away and tied it, until the 27th.  HEB by contrast has the same cut for $15.99 ending today the 24th.  Think I am gonna grab one for either the Alamo Bowl or New Year's Eve. 

Good eating this holiday season!

I usually do a salt/pepper/garlic crust, making a wet rub with olive oil.  More pepper than you might ordinarily do, at least equal parts to the salt.  Maybe add some fresh rosemary if you're inclined.  Cook low and slow (maybe 250 F) until the middle is rare or maybe a little beyond, then crank the oven and crust it up.  It will happen quickly, and that heat won't penetrate the bulk of the roast.
Horseradish cream sauce is a must.  This is mine, I probably ripped it off years ago and slowly doctored it over time:

1 cup sour cream

1/4 cup grated prepared horseradish

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

So no mayo? You prefer it that way over the mixes that are heavy on mayonnaise?

5 hours ago, immamac said:

3 bone tomahawk wagyu from central market, they left the rib meat on and didn't French the bones. Incredible. IMG_20221223_165944.thumb.jpg.bb8009c1056cfb70b2d081337162beb3.jpgIMG_20221223_165949.thumb.jpg.d888314419ebebc8678a85615dcf8b97.jpgIMG_20221223_170012.thumb.jpg.033fe761b0aa28a78258e3295c35da4d.jpgIMG_20221223_170023.thumb.jpg.0d739bf1b6366acce350d388fd5a94d8.jpg

Are you going for the full on tomahawk presentation?  You gonna french the meat off those bones, or cut them shorter into cowboy?  Inquiring minds.  Fuck thats a nice looking piece of meat to work with. 

1 hour ago, Da Fino said:

So no mayo? You prefer it that way over the mixes that are heavy on mayonnaise?

Mayo might be fine, this is a recipe I grabbed off the interwebs years ago and have toyed with proportions ever since.  No mayo.  If you want to add mayo in place of some of the sour cream I'm sure it could be great.  Me, I like to keep the peace at home, and my wife gets extra sassy over this particular recipe.  (No kidding, it's an annual thing, "you're making that horseradish cream sauce, right?  right?".

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Are you going for the full on tomahawk presentation?  You gonna french the meat off those bones, or cut them shorter into cowboy?  Inquiring minds.  Fuck thats a nice looking piece of meat to work with. 

I was thinking about just going full send and cooking it as is with a bit of trimming. If not that I'll French the bones and make insane burgers some other time. 

On 12/8/2022 at 11:30 AM, kevwun said:

I bought a 4 bone natural prime rib roast from Creekstone for NYE.  It was pricey, but I'm gonna celebrate my terrible fucking boss retiring at the end of the year in style.  I am going to smoke it.  I am also going to drink a lot of whiskey, so hopefully it turns out well.

image.jpeg.02aaae0836d7539c8085770f598537ce.jpeg