Prime Rib Christmas (Let's talk)

DallasSooner

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Went with Kenji’s reverse sear, low cook in the oven method on this seven pound, three-rib bad boy. Made a crust out of butter, mustard, garlic, horseradish and plenty of salt/pepper. 

I'm about to do a 6-pounder this way.  What time and temp was your long roast?

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why your horseradish sauce no have a few dashes of worsty in it. 

Merry Christmas to all of you.  May the day be filled with family, good eats, and good drinks. Or at least 2 of the 3. 

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I did it at about 225 for 3 hours and twenty minutes (I have a Celsius oven so it’s all approximate).  Rested half an hour. Then blasted at almost 500 for eight minutes to get the crust. 

Forgot to add that I mashed some anchovies into the butter mixture. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/22/2022 at 6:53 PM, mchookem said:

got a 10 lb, 4-bone in fridge now. bigger than i usually do, have some extra guests this year. i'm a little nervous bc of the size. 

1692924544_tenor(2).gif.f8acf7265dd83b7cf0444a7661bbc4de.gif

i'll see myself out...

so at about the two hour mark my oven meat probe went off at 123*. but when i pulled it the temp was all over the place, depending on where i stuck it...105, 115 in some spots, 130+ in others. i did another 15 mins at just 325* then  decided to err on the rarer side. 

ended up perfect for us- mostly pink throughout, med-well like two slices in...with actual rare to med-rare dark pink/red towards the middle, red juices, how i like it. basically enough variation where everybody got some cooked the way they prefer. also showing my mac-and-seven-cheeses.

very happy with result! 😊 stroganoff with leftovers for the bowl game🤘merry christmas!

20221225_181110.jpg

20221225_184622.jpg

20221225_184615.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 2

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Thermoworks recommends searing first when the meat is very cold.  I have 1/2" grill plate over the firebox on my smoker.  I think I am going to try searing on that and then smoking it.  Never smoked a rib roast so we shall see how it goes.

I just got that email as well. Think I’ll try to seat before I smoke this year (2nd Christmas dinner for my dad’s side of the family is tomorrow) and see how it goes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My 6-lb took 30 minutes longer than I expected.  I think I didn't let it sit out long enough before I hit the oven.  It was out for maybe 1.5-2 hrs.

Tasted good, especially at less than $10/lb (Sprouts sale price).  Not the best I've ever had but everybody loved it.  Reverse "sear" (225 F oven until internal temp was ~ 130 F) and then rested for 30 minutes while I brought the oven up to 500 F full blast.  10 minutes in the oven to get the crust dialed in.  Worked great.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Made cheesesteaks with the leftovers  

Reconstituted the au jus (liberally used the  meat fat that settled at the top) and cooked up the peppers and onions.

6757760E-5D75-428C-BD69-43EEBE8DD0B2.thumb.jpeg.e2235b28d5406ca4efb09c91736c15be.jpeg

Added the thinly sliced prime rib and added some more au jus on top. Toasted the bread with provolone while the meat was getting warmed.

81829171-3144-495F-A3CF-C073058E51BA.thumb.jpeg.bc39f3a5d2d44e54a89d66b9179f6147.jpeg

Served with some of the au jus left in the pan  

BB3B94D3-9D88-49A5-AB05-B5280A78E8C4.thumb.jpeg.af10f79d9287e7983eb4406d7d76906c.jpeg

That looks great.  I'm going to stop by Stuffed this afternoon and pick up a couple Gambino's French bread rolls and give that a try with the leftovers.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

That looks great.  I'm going to stop by Stuffed this afternoon and pick up a couple Gambino's French bread rolls and give that a try with the leftovers.

Wait . . . they sell their rolls?  I've been meaning to go there anyway, but if I could grab a couple of great rolls too that would be fantastic.

9b013be5d261a13ce63bc9fc3743e3d5.jpg

Change of plans. We got a rec teq recently so I am going to smoke them on that and then sear over charcoal for the crust. I am being lazy and didn’t feel like dragging my big smoker out and then cleaning it up tomorrow. The seasoning is Harley’s and what I always use steaks.

Also my wife is already raving about jimmyjazz’s horseradish sauce recipe.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
Yeah, it was on the previous page, but here you go.  You can make it a day ahead.  I'd make sure you have a little extra sour cream and prepared horseradish so you can tweak to your preferences.  I bet some minced garlic would be good, too.

1 cup sour cream

1/4 cup grated prepared horseradish

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Quoting because the search function on this website stays borked and also because it's un-American to not have it on every page.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don't think I've ever had prime rib without horseradish sauce. Is this not a common thing? 

It is except for the unwashed miscreants like my father in law that want their prime rib cooked medium well and also refuse to eat horseradish sauce because it contains sour cream. But he'll put a William "refrigerator" Perry sized serving of mayonnaise on his hamburger and willingly dines at Taco Casa at minimum twice a week.
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

23 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It's that time of year again. Kroger has rib roast for $7.99/lb this week and Brookshires has them for $5.99/lb

I think it’s actually 3.99 with the digital coupon.  Only allows one purchase at this price (and must spend 25$) but I usually get 2-3 for the freezer by getting new Kroger cards…

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Merry Christmas, assholes. Top to bottom, best meal I’ve ever cooked. 

IMG_4075.jpeg

IMG_4076.jpeg

Looks fucking outstanding!

I saw an article that I chose not to click on earlier this month that stated that the USA was no long a prime rib country. 

Obviously that writer doesn’t read Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 1