Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Sure he can. But if it looks like he was wrongfully fired because the alleged victim supported him publicly and said she did wrong, which has already happened, and the district attorney drops any charges then he will immediately file suit claiming he was wrongfully accused. He would have a reasonable case that he did not violate his contract and therefore is owed the full amount of the guaranteed deal. He would immediately sue the university and it would become a giant mess, and all for a coach that has the program primed to do big things.

Be careful who you call names when you don't understand the nuances of the situation. The university does not want to deal with that kind of mess so they will not make a move until the dust settles on the legal case. Get that through your fucking head. 

This has been discussed. King's X. Sovereign immunity prevents that suit from going anywhere. His only case would be some sort of discrimination action, and I don't see that going anywhere either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

This has been discussed. King's X. Sovereign immunity prevents that suit from going anywhere. His only case would be some sort of discrimination action, and I don't see that going anywhere either. 

There is still something of a cost, miniscule on the University's scale financially, of asserting the immunity and getting it sustained on appeal.  And some sort of PR cost.  People that didn't know any better thought Tceh was super-chintzy in that deal.  And there are a lot of people that don't know any better.

The University absolutely has the right to terminate his contract any time they want to after this, without legal ramifications under the contract and because of sovereign immunity.

It seems like they're trying to handle this veeerrrryyyy carefully, though, probably for non-legal reasons like wanting to keep him and wanting to appear to give him a fair shake amid allegations that are less than crystal clear.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Just look at the whole Mike Leach Texas Tech fiasco and the same shit would apply here if the charges get dropped. He will file suit for the money and the university will be in a position to either do the Texas Tech bullshit sovereign immunity to weasel out of it or potentially pay him to go away. Years later the only people that look like complete idiots in that whole thing is Texas Tech. They aren't going to take that risk when there's zero reason for them to do so. He's already suspended so it's not like he's coaching right now anyway. I know this JFK fried Chicken dumbass is just an annoying troll but for anyone wondering why they haven't done anything yet that's the reason. 

I don't think the Mike Leach/Tech situation is as comparable as people are making it seem. In that case, you had a Tweet allegation from a player that he later backed off of when he had to go on the record. There was no photos or video. To @immamac's point, we have a head coach handcuffed/in prison garb appearing before a judge. True, the woman backed off from her original allegations, but with so much focus on domestic violence, people are skeptical when a victim walks back her complaints. 

One thing I do know is that is that dumbass Beard has pretty much placed the university in an unwinnable situation. Cut him or keep him; either way it will suck. 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, freyguy said:

It was a dick move by ttech, but they sure as hell haven't suffered much because of it.

says you.

(don't disagree with you, if limited to financials)

16 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I don't think the Mike Leach/Tech situation is as comparable as people are making it seem. In that case, you had a Tweet allegation from a player that he later backed off of when he had to go on the record. There was no photos or video. To @immamac's point, we have a head coach handcuffed/in prison garb appearing before a judge. True, the woman backed off from her original allegations, but with so much focus on domestic violence, people are skeptical when a victim walks back her complaints. 

One thing I do know is that is that dumbass Beard has pretty much placed the university in an unwinnable situation. Cut him or keep him; either way it will suck. 

This.

Texas has also allowed about 20 more days of 'investigation' to lapse, still without a decision.

Tech couldn't do their bullshit fast enough.  Facts be damned.

Quick Google Search of a concept long discussed and widely researched.

“Why Do Domestic Violence Victims Recant?
Why It's More Complicated Than Fear of More Violence”

https://www.verywellmind.com/why-do-domestic-violence-victims-recant-66537

This doesnt even get into victims of rich and powerful. Her recanting means a lot in a criminal court and likelihood of conviction with a standard of beyond a reasonable doubt, but not as much the determination by outsiders, employers, players, parents, and court of public opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Quick Google Search of a concept long discussed and widely researched.

“Why Do Domestic Violence Victims Recant?
Why It's More Complicated Than Fear of More Violence”

https://www.verywellmind.com/why-do-domestic-violence-victims-recant-66537

This doesnt even get into victims of rich and powerful. Her recanting means a lot in a criminal court and likelihood of conviction with a standard of beyond a reasonable doubt, but not as much the determination by outsiders, employers, players, parents, and court of public opinion.

I really rather doubt Beard tried to sweet talk her into recanting her allegations, as set forth in that article.  There may have been other pressures applied, though.

15 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They can. Occasionally they will only make a greater statement- but typically that would be in a situation where there are other witnesses or the photographic evidence is bad. If the photographic evidence were bad I’d think we’d already know it and he’d already be gone basically. Doubt there’s any other witnesses lined up to testify against. 

Appreciate you answering my question. 

15 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

If we retain him will he be back coaching this season?

That's what I'm wondering. Coach Terry is doing a good job this season, but I don't think he can keep it going. I really hope we can get Beard back for the season, but your question is a good one. I don't know how that'll work...

I don't think it takes the most astute individual to come to the conclusion that UT is trying to slow play this into retaining Beard.  I would hope such a decision could be backed up by facts, but I wasn't born yesterday.

I was born the day before yesterday.  I'm maturing really quickly, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I don’t have to look very far at all.

What was that?

This guy put his hands on Sark in the tunnel to make sure the team didn't run out too early, and Salk yelled at the guy and said something to the tune of "Don't put your fucking hands on me! Do you know how I am?" Not sure on the last sentence, but the first one is for sure true 

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

That's what I'm wondering. Coach Terry is doing a good job this season, but I don't think he can keep it going. I really hope we can get Beard back for the season, but your question is a good one. I don't know how that'll work...

There is also the thorny question of how the players feel about it....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

Honestly? I think (obviously my opinion since he recruited them and they aren't hitting the portal) they would welcome him back. From what I see the seem to love the guy, but of course I don't think they would be punching the guy even if they hated him if they wanted to land at another school lol 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Honestly? I think (obviously my opinion since he recruited them and they aren't hitting the portal) they would welcome him back. From what I see the seem to love the guy, but of course I don't think they would be punching the guy even if they hated him if they wanted to land at another school lol 

I would not have posed the question for no reason.  The team has really become close and you might be surprised.  I'm just sayin. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I would not have posed the question for no reason.  The team has really become close and you might be surprised.  I'm just sayin. 

True. I agree with you. But in the end we really don't know how they feel, you know? They're around the guy all the time, so he's like a father figure to them, and they see things differently than fans. 

8 hours ago, Hermanator said:

The whole public perception thing gets way overblown. If they reinstate him after charges are dropped there will be some people that make a stink about it but it'll quickly go away. Do you know who the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns in yesterday's game was? Deshoun Watson. That was a much bigger story than this and they took a lot of shit up front when they signed him but now he's playing and nobody gives a shit because everybody already moved on. If the charges get dropped and no video proof comes out then Beard will be the coach next season. 

There are people on this very board that refer to the Baylor baseball team as the cat killers 20 something years after the incident.

This is not going away.

8 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Can you name one single instance where a coach/player had an off the field incident not involving the team, wasn't fired or cut, and wasn't welcomed back by his team? I can't think of one. 

Edited by Hermanator

7 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

You are probably right, but should other people talking shit affect the decision being made by Texas?

IMO, the correct decision is clear. W-L record & how players or others feel is irrelevant. Logic says cops didn’t get called, absent Beard having acted violently. Why would she (or one of his kids) call (I don’t recall if police report said she or one of his daughters called)? They’re not getting divorced, there’s no child custody dispute to leverage by calling, and there’s zero upside to 911 call. She’s going to burn the whole thing down & end her meal ticket by calling 911 over nothing? That fails the logic test. Maybe he broke off their engagement, and she lost it, but even then, you don’t call 911. And, there’s nothing in the report to indicate that as the catalyst. If simplest explanation is the obvious one, you have the 2nd(?) highest paid state employee domestically assaulting his live-in fiancée, regardless who initiated things. Proving “conduct unbecoming,” the part “A” of grounds for termination with cause, wouldn’t be hard (police report & pinstripe video would likely be enough), and Beard would risk torching his career, if he chose to go through civil litigation and the discovery that’d entail. What are the odds there’s nothing else ugly between these two that would come out from Lubbock or ATX days, given this incident? And, Belmont wouldn’t want their HR history aired either, which would be his counsel’s likely scorched-earth strategy. Because of that, I think it settles financially, and he’s gone. We’ll know shortly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, petscii said:

There are people on this very board that refer to the Baylor baseball team as the cat killers 20 something years after the incident.

This is not going away.

If (when) Texas reinstates Beard, whether it “goes away” or not matters exactly as much as it negatively impacts the results he’s able to obtain. The retention is going to be accompanied by all manner of complaints, protests, accusations, etc. Texas obviously knows this. If this not going away means Beard can no longer be sufficiently successfully, then that will matter. If Beard can be successful however much people bring it up and complain, it won’t matter. 

8 hours ago, petscii said:

This is not going away.

That may cut toward keeping Beard, because I agree, this is not going away whether we keep him or not.  Fans of opposing teams will continue to bring posters of Beard's mug shot and chant things about domestic violence even if we fire him and hire Gloria Allred.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

That may cut toward keeping Beard, because I agree, this is not going away whether we keep him or not.  Fans of opposing teams will continue to bring posters of Beard's mug shot and chant things about domestic violence even if we fire him and hire Gloria Allred.

I was thinking huge foam choking hands and burnt orange handmaid's tale outfits myself.

• Hook 'Em 1

Beard rides their asses hard. It's the type of coach he is and why he butts heads with certain type of players who can't take his style of coaching. I don't think anyone is going over to Beard's house on the weekend for milk and cookies. There is a mutual respect between everyone. They know he brings the best of them and pushes a lot of the right buttons. Some of the best coaches you will ever have in your life you won't necessarily "like" all the time.

As was pointed out above, this a veteran team who provides a lot of their own leadership. Of course they are better off with Beard on the sideline but that doesn't mean that is what everyone in that locker room wants. They are probably rightfully pissed that this is a huge distraction for what could be a special season and the veteran guys who lead this team didn't come to Texas or return here for distractions. 

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Beard rides their asses hard. It's the type of coach he is and why he butts heads with certain type of players who can't take his style of coaching. I don't think anyone is going over to Beard's house on the weekend for milk and cookies. There is a mutual respect between everyone. They know he brings the best of them and pushes a lot of the right buttons. Some of the best coaches you will ever have in your life you won't necessarily "like" all the time.

As was pointed out above, this a veteran team who provides a lot of their own leadership. Of course they are better off with Beard on the sideline but that doesn't mean that is what everyone in that locker room wants. They are probably rightfully pissed that this is a huge distraction for what could be a special season and the veteran guys who lead this team didn't come to Texas or return here for distractions. 

Everything you said actually points to them wanting him back, not gone.  The players made business decisions to be here.  If Beard brings out the best in them and gives the team the best chance to win then they would want him back.  That’s another business decision made instead of an emotional one.  The players want to win and maximize their draft stock.  They aren’t going to kick out a guy that puts them in the best position to do both of those.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, txindep said:

IMO, the correct decision is clear. W-L record & how players or others feel is irrelevant. Logic says cops didn’t get called, absent Beard having acted violently. Why would she (or one of his kids) call (I don’t recall if police report said she or one of his daughters called)? They’re not getting divorced, there’s no child custody dispute to leverage by calling, and there’s zero upside to 911 call. She’s going to burn the whole thing down & end her meal ticket by calling 911 over nothing? That fails the logic test. Maybe he broke off their engagement, and she lost it, but even then, you don’t call 911. And, there’s nothing in the report to indicate that as the catalyst. If simplest explanation is the obvious one, you have the 2nd(?) highest paid state employee domestically assaulting his live-in fiancée, regardless who initiated things. Proving “conduct unbecoming,” the part “A” of grounds for termination with cause, wouldn’t be hard (police report & pinstripe video would likely be enough), and Beard would risk torching his career, if he chose to go through civil litigation and the discovery that’d entail. What are the odds there’s nothing else ugly between these two that would come out from Lubbock or ATX days, given this incident? And, Belmont wouldn’t want their HR history aired either, which would be his counsel’s likely scorched-earth strategy. Because of that, I think it settles financially, and he’s gone. We’ll know shortly. 

What you’re saying, if I understand you correctly, is that it wouldn’t be logical for her to call the cops unless Beard were at fault somehow. Let’s say that’s true. 

That doesn’t mean she did, in fact act logically. The judicial system is chock full o’ situations in which grown ass people do not act logically in situations like this or in situations of domestic discord, in general. 

Once we accept that people act illogically in similar, or even calmer, domestic situations, everything you built on the foundation of her actions necessarily being logical just collapses in on itself. And that’s leaving aside the dubious assertion that he assaulted her “regardless of who initiated it.”

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Everything you said actually points to them wanting him back, not gone.  The players made business decisions to be here.  If Beard brings out the best in them and gives the team the best chance to win then they would want him back.  That’s another business decision made instead of an emotional one.  The players want to win and maximize their draft stock.  They aren’t going to kick out a guy that puts them in the best position to do both of those.

Maybe. Even the guys with pro aspirations (so pretty much all of them) have a human side to them. I'm sure they absolutely want to win and maximize but they also might think that Beard coming back could distract from the goals they have.

Just thinking about both sides of things. If this was some super young team with 3 freshman starting and no upperclassmen then maybe we are having a different conversation. 

80% of this roster was going to be gone next year whether this situation happened or not. So if they do choose to move on from Beard it does make the transition a tad easier.

Edited by Hookem2147

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

well, the things I'm hearing today do not leave me feeling like Chris Beard will be our head coach anymore. Could find out for sure as soon as tomorrow.

I’m sure the 10 posters who are whining about why he should be fired immediately will be here to gloat tomorrow and will never be seen on the basketball board ever again.

My fear is they will just promote Terry. That wouldn’t be good for future of the program. 

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

My fear is they will just promote Terry. That wouldn’t be good for future of the program. 

There is nothing to suggest they will make a rash decision like that just because he won a few games in a row.

I'm sure he will get a chance to prove his worth over the next few months and we will go from there.

He was the lead recruiter for Holland and AJ Johnson and several guys we've brought in from the portal in recent years so he has a lot of value to this program. Dismissing him as a candidate right now would be just as foolish as naming him permanent head coach right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, immamac said:

This is also stupid. The university needs to move on. If they don't want a lawsuit buy him out and tell him bye. 

The optics of this are not "wait and see if they drop charges then LOL ALL GOOD" 

The only reason they haven't done anything yet is because they are trying to keep him, which is absolutely fucking bonkers. 

He was on video in shackles and fucking prison uniform. His time at Texas should have been sealed then. 

Yep.

If they wanted him gone a $3 to $5 million buyout is not a big deal for UT and Beard is in no position to reject it. It'd be done already.

Clearly they're hoping to keep him. I honestly don't know how I feel about that.

3 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Yep.

If they wanted him gone a $3 to $5 million buyout is not a big deal for UT and Beard is in no position to reject it. It'd be done already.

Clearly they're hoping to keep him. I honestly don't know how I feel about that.

Has anything involving lawyers and contracts ever been resolved in a 3 week period? Especially over the holidays.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’m sure the 10 posters who are whining about why he should be fired immediately will be here to gloat tomorrow and will never be seen on the basketball board ever again.

Agree. If Beard is let go, it will not be for a lack of trying to keep him. 
Hope to get a little clarity tonight. 
IMO despite being very popular with the players, I think Terry would have to win it all before that would happen. 

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He was the lead recruiter for Holland and AJ Johnson and several guys we've brought in from the portal in recent years so he has a lot of value to this program. Dismissing him as a candidate right now would be just as foolish as naming him permanent head coach right now. 

No one is saying he’s not valuable. He has the evidence as a HC that he wouldn’t be the best option long term in that role.

26 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If the admin has the info that says they should move on even though it more than likely sets the program back to Shaka era days or worse with just a shiny new expensive arena to show for it then so be it. 

They know the risk moving on is to the program right now and they have access to more info than any of us do. But they should absolutely swing for the fences in a proven coach. The improvement in the Texas recruiting talent base combined with the opportunity to use it to become the first champion here has to be lucrative. It was to Beard for sure. Can't settle for less unless every stone was turned and ended up bad. 

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi