Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

Tim Colishaw weighs in:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2022/12/29/why-is-chris-beard-still-the-texas-longhorns-basketball-coach/

The No. 6-ranked Texas Longhorns begin Big 12 play Saturday afternoon at Oklahoma. It could be a great season. Or at least it should have been a great season. Right now it’s mostly given Longhorn fans reason to avert their eyes from the wreckage and celebrate that national title in volleyball.

To understand why Chris Beard is still technically employed by the University of Texas while suspended, and before one gets around to questioning the justification for this situation, one must look at the history. Texas men’s basketball barely has one. I say that as an alum who was the first Daily Texan student to interview Abe Lemons after he was hired to replace Leon Black, a move that surely would extract the Longhorns from the dark ages, not just from Gregory Gym.

Without going into greater detail, the best basketball coach Texas ever had was Rick Barnes, and he got to one Final Four in 2003, losing to Carmelo Anthony and Syracuse in the semifinals. Since the tournament expanded to 16 teams back in 1951, that is the only Final Four the Longhorns have reached. You can talk about Kevin Durant and LaMarcus Aldridge and the occasional conference title, but when it comes to reaching Final Fours, Texas is the equivalent of SMU. Or Virginia Commonwealth. Or George Mason.

When you do something about once every 70 years, you’re really not part of the discussion.

That is what brought Beard to Texas in 2021. A coach who could lift Texas Tech to a national championship game — overtime, no less — was surely the right man to bring the Longhorns the title they have long sought but never come close to attaining.

Instead, here is where we are, even with the team ranked sixth in the land. Beard is on suspension without pay, and his fiancee has released a statement saying, “Chris did not strangle me.”

She also said, “It was never my intent to have him arrested or prosecuted.” In addition, she apologized.

Let me repeat.

She. Apologized.

So this is the place at which we have arrived, not just with the ‘Horns and their basketball hopes, but in America near the close of 2022. If you think “Me Too” has forever changed the landscape regarding domestic violence, you cannot possibly own a television, a newspaper or access to the Internet.

Beard’s fiancee, Randi Trew, is the alleged victim and, in similar cases, particularly those that might involve a lot of money belonging to the alleged perpetrator, recanting testimony is almost standard procedure. Fear of further violence also elicits those statements. According to an affidavit, on the night Trew called police to their Austin house, she had bite marks, abrasions and was struggling to catch her breath after saying he had choked her for at least five seconds after throwing her off the bed.

Less than two weeks later, she’s apologizing and perhaps hoping this all goes away.

It shouldn’t. Oh, I don’t have any doubt that Beard will never be found guilty in a court of law. His high-powered attorneys aren’t about to let that happen, especially with her backing away from her original comments to police. And for some of you that is enough. Innocent until proven guilty, right?

Related:5 things to know about Rodney Terry, acting head coach at Texas after Chris Beard arrest

It’s one thing to argue that in a legal sense, but a head coach at a major university has to be able to represent more than just being not guilty on a technicality. If any Texas officials are angling to keep Beard, they must hope the ”Chris did not strangle me” statement serves as some kind of public correction. Maybe Longhorn fans and students are expected to say, “Oh, didn’t you see the latest? The police report was wrong. Chris did not strangle her while he was cutting her and throwing her off the bed. And, by the way, she did break his reading glasses.”

Coaches need to be something more than winners. They’re supposed to be the ones who guide young men and women on the correct path into adulthood — do the best they can at it, at least — whether the athletes stay on campus one year or five.

Beard is no longer a person who can do that. He showed his hand earlier this year in allowing freshman Arterio Morris to play. Kimball’s Morris faces his own misdemeanor family assault chargesin Denton County in less than two weeks. Morris has scored 37 points in the team’s two most recent wins without Beard.

What a heartwarming story.

It will be a shame, and an unnecessary black eye, if the Longhorns restore Beard to his head coaching position and pretend this all never happened. It’s not about being canceled or his becoming a victim of the woke agenda — words of idiots who lack the vocabulary to suggest anything more clever while wishing we could all close our eyes and go back to 1954.

However you want to define it, Beard‘s response to his fiancee breaking his glasses was a physical one that brought the police to their house and looked more serious than she now wishes to acknowledge. Who needs to cheer for that? And I don’t even know how this year’s players — obviously a good squad — will respond. But if another coaching search delays the Longhorns’ rise to basketball’s promised land, well, what’s another season or two for a school that has managed so little on this front for 70 years?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

It will be a shame, and an unnecessary black eye, if the Longhorns restore Beard to his head coaching position and pretend this all never happened. It’s not about being canceled or his becoming a victim of the woke agenda — words of idiots who lack the vocabulary to suggest anything more clever while wishing we could all close our eyes and go back to 1954.

Handmaids Tale Reaction GIF by HULU

• Fuck You 3

3 hours ago, JFKFC said:

6 hours ago, Satchel said:

Tim Colishaw weighs in:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2022/12/29/why-is-chris-beard-still-the-texas-longhorns-basketball-coach/

The No. 6-ranked Texas Longhorns begin Big 12 play Saturday afternoon at Oklahoma. It could be a great season. Or at least it should have been a great season. Right now it’s mostly given Longhorn fans reason to avert their eyes from the wreckage and celebrate that national title in volleyball.

To understand why Chris Beard is still technically employed by the University of Texas while suspended, and before one gets around to questioning the justification for this situation, one must look at the history. Texas men’s basketball barely has one. I say that as an alum who was the first Daily Texan student to interview Abe Lemons after he was hired to replace Leon Black, a move that surely would extract the Longhorns from the dark ages, not just from Gregory Gym.

Without going into greater detail, the best basketball coach Texas ever had was Rick Barnes, and he got to one Final Four in 2003, losing to Carmelo Anthony and Syracuse in the semifinals. Since the tournament expanded to 16 teams back in 1951, that is the only Final Four the Longhorns have reached. You can talk about Kevin Durant and LaMarcus Aldridge and the occasional conference title, but when it comes to reaching Final Fours, Texas is the equivalent of SMU. Or Virginia Commonwealth. Or George Mason.

When you do something about once every 70 years, you’re really not part of the discussion.

That is what brought Beard to Texas in 2021. A coach who could lift Texas Tech to a national championship game — overtime, no less — was surely the right man to bring the Longhorns the title they have long sought but never come close to attaining.

Instead, here is where we are, even with the team ranked sixth in the land. Beard is on suspension without pay, and his fiancee has released a statement saying, “Chris did not strangle me.”

She also said, “It was never my intent to have him arrested or prosecuted.” In addition, she apologized.

Let me repeat.

She. Apologized.

So this is the place at which we have arrived, not just with the ‘Horns and their basketball hopes, but in America near the close of 2022. If you think “Me Too” has forever changed the landscape regarding domestic violence, you cannot possibly own a television, a newspaper or access to the Internet.

Beard’s fiancee, Randi Trew, is the alleged victim and, in similar cases, particularly those that might involve a lot of money belonging to the alleged perpetrator, recanting testimony is almost standard procedure. Fear of further violence also elicits those statements. According to an affidavit, on the night Trew called police to their Austin house, she had bite marks, abrasions and was struggling to catch her breath after saying he had choked her for at least five seconds after throwing her off the bed.

Less than two weeks later, she’s apologizing and perhaps hoping this all goes away.

It shouldn’t. Oh, I don’t have any doubt that Beard will never be found guilty in a court of law. His high-powered attorneys aren’t about to let that happen, especially with her backing away from her original comments to police. And for some of you that is enough. Innocent until proven guilty, right?

Related:5 things to know about Rodney Terry, acting head coach at Texas after Chris Beard arrest

It’s one thing to argue that in a legal sense, but a head coach at a major university has to be able to represent more than just being not guilty on a technicality. If any Texas officials are angling to keep Beard, they must hope the ”Chris did not strangle me” statement serves as some kind of public correction. Maybe Longhorn fans and students are expected to say, “Oh, didn’t you see the latest? The police report was wrong. Chris did not strangle her while he was cutting her and throwing her off the bed. And, by the way, she did break his reading glasses.”

Coaches need to be something more than winners. They’re supposed to be the ones who guide young men and women on the correct path into adulthood — do the best they can at it, at least — whether the athletes stay on campus one year or five.

Beard is no longer a person who can do that. He showed his hand earlier this year in allowing freshman Arterio Morris to play. Kimball’s Morris faces his own misdemeanor family assault chargesin Denton County in less than two weeks. Morris has scored 37 points in the team’s two most recent wins without Beard.

What a heartwarming story.

However you want to define it, Beard‘s response to his fiancee breaking his glasses was a physical one that brought the police to their house and looked more serious than she now wishes to acknowledge. Who needs to cheer for that? And I don’t even know how this year’s players — obviously a good squad — will respond. But if another coaching search delays the Longhorns’ rise to basketball’s promised land, well, what’s another season or two for a school that has managed so little on this front for 70 years?

Sure, it’s not about being canceled on the work agenda or anything like that. It’s just making a decision without taking the time to learn all the facts. Let’s act based on allegations.

Speaking of “words of idiots who lack the vocabulary” Colishaw clowns himself by talking about “not guilty on a technicality” which is the words of idiots who whine that cops and courts shouldn’t be restrained by the actual law if we “know” someone is guilty. I mean, so what if a search was unconstitutional? Just a technicality, right Tim?

Then he talks about the police report as if it were the result of some lengthy investigation rather than basically a transcription of what she told them.

That isn’t to say Beard would need to be convicted to justify his firing… just that Colishaw apparently doesn’t think very clearly, but he operates from emotion and indignation like a pro.

For the eleventy bajillionth time, If it comes out that Beard did unjustifiable things in response, send him packing. If it turns out he didn’t, save the “oh, but the police report” idiocy. If, as is probably most likely, the evidence could support either version, it’s going to be an uphill battle to get rid of him without Trew’s support of that, imo. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, Satchel said:

The police report was wrong. Chris did not strangle her while he was cutting her and throwing her off the bed.

What the fuck? Since when has it ever been reported he was cutting her? 

Also hilarious to see our resident moron saying Amen to an article treating the police affidavit as fact days after trying to argue no one has ever done that in this entire thread.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Satchel said:

Huh? #metoo wasn't about DV. 

Also - he's complaining about the status quo while at the same time writing for a major, fairly non-biased publication that the only option is to fire Beard. 

11 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

If there's no history of violence, a believable alternative explanation like self-defense / restraint, the "victim" recants and apologizes, and the DA doesn't indict, you can't fire the guy even if you want to.

Texas could fire him simply for the arrest if Texas wanted to. 

45 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

If there's no history of violence, a believable alternative explanation like self-defense / restraint, the "victim" recants and apologizes, and the DA doesn't indict, you can't fire the guy even if you want to.

"Sorry, but the way you were railroaded really makes us look bad. You're fired!"

(no clue if that's what happened or not)

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Your point was that Texas can’t. Texas can. The contract explicitly says so.

If you meant “Texas shouldn’t” you should’ve written that. 

Fine. My point was that they "can't" because of the repercussions, not that they technically can't. But go ahead and be a contrarian on this fine New Years Eve. You're good at it.

3 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Then he talks about the police report as if it were the result of some lengthy investigation rather than basically a transcription of what she told them.

Best case is that it is a transcription. What is more often the case is that it is a highly embellished story that defends whatever decisions the police officers made that evening.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mwaadeeb said:

Fine. My point was that they "can't" because of the repercussions, not that they technically can't. But go ahead and be a contrarian on this fine New Years Eve. You're good at it.

So, they shouldn’t. That makes sense. I agree that it would be a mistake to fire him simply because of the arrest. And, if you read what I wrote earlier, if the evidence is ambiguous he’s probably coming back. Which is what you appear to be saying. 

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Best case is that it is a transcription. What is more often the case is that it is a highly embellished story that defends whatever decisions the police officers made that evening.

I think it’s a pretty safe bet that the cops got to “strangled” without her saying anything any layman would remotely connect to the common usage of that word. 

“He held my arms against my side and I gasped.” “He held on to my arm and my hand started tingling.”

Without applying the idiosyncratic definitions around the DV law, no one gets “strangled” from either scenario and that word carries some heavy connotations.

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I think it’s a pretty safe bet that the cops got to “strangled” without her saying anything any layman would remotely connect to the common usage of that word. 

“He held my arms against my side and I gasped.” “He held on to my arm and my hand started tingling.”

Without applying the idiosyncratic definitions around the DV law, no one gets “strangled” from either scenario and that word carries some heavy connotations.

I don’t get that impression reading the affidavit.  They claim she used the literal word “choked”.  Strictly speaking a person doesn’t normally choke another person, they strangle another person,  but use of the word “choked” here implies an attempt to strangle.  Then there is the specific description of the arm around the neck and difficulty breathing.  I would not make the bet you think is safe.  I think it’s more likely that the 911 call comes out in which she says point blank in her own words that he tried to choke or strangle me.  No doubt the Beard lawyers asked her what she said on the call and may have received some indication she did not say it, but I doubt her recollection is very good in what was possibly a very upset state of mind. 

Edited by ClubWhatever

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Also hilarious to see our resident moron saying Amen to an article treating the police affidavit as fact days after trying to argue no one has ever done that in this entire thread.

I said Amen to his knock on people blaming cancel culture. Beard should have been fired the day he was charged with Felony Strangulation. Every fucktard on this board who says we have to investigate and take time and get all the "facts" likely had to go to Tech. No one else could be so stupid. 

• Fuck You 16

2 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I said Amen to his knock on people blaming cancel culture. Beard should have been fired the day he was charged with Felony Strangulation. Every fucktard on this board who says we have to investigate and take time and get all the "facts" likely had to go to Tech. No one else could be so stupid. 

Well, he wasn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Your point was that Texas can’t. Texas can. The contract explicitly says so.

The contract focuses on his actual behavior. Without going back to look at it, as I recall, something like, "behavior detrimental to the reputation of the university." Thus far all we have is an allegation which has been retracted. An act of self-defense wouldn't be "detrimental to the university." However, we don't know much at all about his actual behavior. It would though include full cooperation with the university in its investigation. Presumably he's doing so.  

27 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I don’t get that impression reading the affidavit.  They claim she used the literal word “choked”.  Strictly speaking a person doesn’t normally choke another person, they strangle another person,  but use of the word “choked” here implies an attempt to strangle.  Then there is the specific description of the arm around the neck and difficulty breathing.  I would not make the bet you think is safe.  I think it’s more likely that the 911 call comes out in which she says point blank in her own words that he tried to choke or strangle me.  No doubt the Beard lawyers asked her what she said on the call and may have received some indication she did not say it, but I doubt her recollection is very good in what was possibly a very upset state of mind. 

She's already said she over-reacted and took the blame. She was upset. She wouldn't be the first person to call 911 and to regret doing so. 

9 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Every fucktard on this board who says we have to investigate and take time and get all the "facts" likely had to go to Tech. No one else could be so stupid. 

I'm not familiar with your body of work and I don't care to find out, but your last 2 posts are completely moronic in their dishonesty, illogical fucknuttery, and served with a hefty topping of a false sense of superior morality. Regarding Tech...it feels like maybe you're projecting. 

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I guess we’ll see. Beard has lawyers and she has lawyers and she walked it back very directly and it seems pretty unlikely her lawyer is going to have to plainly contradict something she specifically said.

If the timeline I’ve heard is accurate, her call was well after the incident. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

The contract focuses on his actual behavior. Without going back to look at it, as I recall, something like, "behavior detrimental to the reputation of the university." Thus far all we have is an allegation which has been retracted. An act of self-defense wouldn't be "detrimental to the university." However, we don't know much at all about his actual behavior. It would though include full cooperation with the university in its investigation. Presumably he's doing so.  

She's already said she over-reacted and took the blame. She was upset. She wouldn't be the first person to call 911 and to regret doing so. 

Criminal charge involving a felony. 

EA7070D9-DAE9-48F3-A139-5E7C318362CD.png

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

A cop will arrest a person and place them into the system on the basis of their personal analysis of a situation during the course of their sworn duty as a LEO.

Then, SOP, they write a report about what transpired and why someone was arrested under the suspicion of committing a crime.

Do they write one where the arrest was unjustified and unconstitutional, the job was done incompetently, and the arrest should result in discipline and/or legal consequences?

Or, Do they write a report that makes them look like a dutiful public servant protecting the community by getting a criminal off the street?

It's not hard to comprehend, and it's not a Bernard situation, it's how anyone would do any job. By writing a report that massages the language and/or facts to justify the action.

• Hook 'Em 5

Criminal charge involving a felony. 
EA7070D9-DAE9-48F3-A139-5E7C318362CD.png.4fb52306bd8319243b8bf79c3f381de4.png

He got arrested…. But has he been formally charged with a felony? And if so, what would be the effect (contract-wise) if the charge is ultimately dropped or lessened to a misdemeanor.

All of this is just to say (repeat ad nauseam) that it isn’t as simple as some make it out to be.

He got arrested…. But has he been formally charged with a felony? And if so, what would be the effect (contract-wise) if the charge is ultimately dropped or lessened to a misdemeanor.

All of this is just to say (repeat ad nauseam) that it isn’t as simple as some make it out to be.

“University of Texas men's basketball head coach Chris Beard was arrested and charged with assault on a family member early Monday.”

The effect would be that he was still charged and Texas could, but doesn’t have to, terminate his contract.
  • Hook 'Em 1

If they fire him, the university gets to move on. If they don't fire him, this will keep coming up over and over until he eventually departs due to some other reason.

I've made up my mind on the SOB. The dude smacked around his lady. Regardless of whether she "started it" or not, you just don't do that. Good grief. He and his fiancée need to go somewhere else and beat each other up to their hearts' content...like they've probably been doing for years already. But they should really split up, for both their benefits. 

But again, it's just basketball. Which is 3rd fiddle to football and baseball. So who the hell cares.

• Fuck You 4

53 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Thank you for the correction. Haven't paid much attention since the day it all went down. Agree with those who've said if it gets no-billed, he'll be retained. 

Hell, I’d heard so many things I was starting to doubt my memory. 

I’ll throw another vote in with that… if there is insufficient unambiguous evidence and an unmotivated complainant, I think there’s no indictment and that’s enough that Texas will keep him. If it moves forward, he’s almost certainly gone. I suspect the former at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

If they fire him, the university gets to move on. If they don't fire him, this will keep coming up over and over until he eventually departs due to some other reason.

I've made up my mind on the SOB. The dude smacked around his lady. Regardless of whether she "started it" or not, you just don't do that. Good grief. He and his fiancée need to go somewhere else and beat each other up to their hearts' content...like they've probably been doing for years already. But they should really split up, for both their benefits. 

But again, it's just basketball. Which is 3rd fiddle to football and baseball. So who the hell cares.

I actually care but to each his own. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, freyguy said:

God, sometimes I wish I could be such a willfully ignorant douchebag. Life must be so much easier that way.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Maybe fire him. Then, do a coaching search that ends with hiring Beard, assuming he isn't charged. Now, both sides are happy. Profit.

Just playing along, but would that next contract a) be lower b) be identical c) be higher?

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi