The Undercard: Fiesta Bowl: Michigan Vs TCU

Juicy

26 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Well, his hate is even worse. WTF is his problem.

The Statesman decided decades ago they'd make more money employing a troll, than trying to find a legitimate sports commentator. Besides, someone actually good at their job might leave for a bigger market. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, slorch said:

So did this guy...

r228760_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Except the Mannings aren't taking specific food away from him, and having to bring his own ice cream to a friend's birthday party because he wasn't allowed to have sugar. Marinovich was quite literally micro-managed by his dad because his dad wanted him to be something he didn't want.  Arch, OTOH, actually enjoys the game, and from what I understand also doesn't smoke meth and do heroin before games and make shitty paintings in their free time under bridges. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Right. No good players are going to want to play for him

I might be thinking of someone else, but I feel like his reputation has been that his teams are soft. Patterson's players were never soft, so he might be the beneficiary of the players he inherited. I doubt they will be this good again for a long while, but who knows. It'll be fun to watch though, and from my perspective, it'll be with great envy.

• Like 2

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Right. No good players are going to want to play for him

I'm sure they will, but that doesn't make my point any less valid that one good year with someone else's players that were recruited 3-5 years ago will allow him to have continued success. Dykes has been coaching a long time, so I find it a little hard to believe that in all that time he just magically changed his ways, so all those other shitty years don't count anymore, and from here on out we should expect TCU to win anywhere between 10-12 games a season because...this year isn't an anomaly for him. 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm sure they will, but that doesn't make my point any less valid that one good year with someone else's players that were recruited 3-5 years ago will allow him to have continued success. Dykes has been coaching a long time, so I find it a little hard to believe that in all that time he just magically changed his ways, so all those other shitty years don't count anymore, and from here on out we should expect TCU to win anywhere between 10-12 games a season because...this year isn't an anomaly for him. 

Compare the programs he’s coached at to those Sark has. How do you think Sark would have fared there?

19 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Compare the programs he’s coached at to those Sark has. How do you think Sark would have fared there?

I have no idea how Sark would fare there, but I know how Dykes would have fared here, and it's not great. Hell, Dykes literally picked the wrong qb and lucked into Duggan balling out this season. Let's not pretend Dykes is some savant who knew Duggan would be Duggan. It took an injury to Morris to get Duggan on the field. Comparing one coach who has a 21-22 year old man to a coach who has a 19 year old frosh is dumb. He was also gifted 1st rounder Quentin Johnston. Let's not pretend Sark doesn't have more work in front of him. You're not that daft. We have no WR's, two true frosh linemen, but did have an all-world running back who had to make something out of nothing a lot of the time because the line would break down. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I have no idea how Sark would fare there, but I know how Dykes would have fared here, and it's not great. Hell, Dykes literally picked the wrong qb and lucked into Duggan balling out this season. Let's not pretend Dykes is some savant who knew Duggan would be Duggan. It took an injury to Morris to get Duggan on the field. Comparing one coach who has a 21-22 year old man to a coach who has a 19 year old frosh is dumb. He was also gifted 1st rounder Quentin Johnston. 

Lol you have no idea how Dykes would have done here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Lol you have no idea how Dykes would have done here. 

Do you think Dykes was taking a frosh qb, no WR's, and an anemic offensive line anywhere close to the CFP? Do you think he was going to beat Bama in week 2? Don't be stupid and act like Dykes is some wizard. His past records prove that he's not, and he had a future #1 overall pick as his qb and did nothing at Cal. But sure, all these players he just recruited and made a historic run, it had nothing to do with  the prior regime. Let's see how the wizard does next season when those players are gone. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Do you think Dykes was taking a frosh qb, no WR's, and an anemic offensive line anywhere close to the CFP? Do you think he was going to beat Bama in week 2? 

He doesn’t have to take UT to the CFP this year to be better than sark.  

I think he wouldn’t have left ewers in when he was playing like dogshit, and I think his teams play 4 quarters, so I think he would have won more games than Sark. 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

He doesn’t have to take UT to the CFP to be better than sark.  

I think he wouldn’t have left ewers in when he was playing like dogshit, and I think his teams play 4 quarters, so I think he would have won more games than Sark. 

Oh, it has nothing to do with the players gifted to him, it's just him being this great coach that has never reached this amount of success in his entire career. He just magically flipped a switch, huh? And you think he was going to get the same production out of Card that he did Duggan with the o-line we had? Lol ok. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Oh, it has nothing to do with the players gifted to him, it's just him being this great coach that has never reached this amount of success in his entire career. He just magically flipped a switch, huh? And you think he was going to get the same production out of Card that he did Duggan with the o-line we had? Lol ok. 

Of course it has something to do with that why are you trying to reduce it to an all or nothing argument? Don’t be dense. I am confident he is a much better coach than sark and nothing you have posted changes my opinion on that. Give Sark TCU and he doesn’t sniff the CFP. Give Dykes Texas and he outperforms what Sark has done

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/30/2022 at 5:32 AM, Juicy said:

Fiesta Bowl: Michigan vs. TCU, NEW YEARS EVE, ESPN, 3 p.m.

We are a day away from the playoffs, and TCU just can't stop talking shit. It is almost like they forgot that they just lost their last game. (Kind of like one of the other playoff teams).

As a Michigan fan Duggan makes me nervous, I think he will hit a few deep balls and convert some 3rd and should have never been converted, with his legs. Michigan played bend don't break against O$U and slowed down what should be a better offense than what TCU has. TCU has not faced a ground and pound game like Michigan, I just don't see TCU being able to stop Michigan enough to win the game. 

Michigan 38- TCU 20.

@Juicy

image.gif.2364ce54d6dbf6a1cb58180555a3edf7.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

Of course it has something to do with that why are you trying to reduce it to an all or nothing argument? Don’t be dense. I am confident he is a much better coach than sark and nothing you have posted changes my opinion on that. Give Sark TCU and he doesn’t sniff the CFP. Give Dykes Texas and he outperforms what Sark has done

You're speaking in absolutes, which is dumb. You have absolutely zero clue how Dykes would do at Texas. Stop being dense. He had a great run this year, but let's not pretend he's used to this. His mean is around 7 wins a season at lesser programs, aside from this TCU team. Look at his history in lower conferences. But sure, those were just practice coaching jobs, he was finally ready this year. 

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You're speaking in absolutes, which is dumb. You have absolutely zero clue how Dykes would do at Texas. Stop being dense. He had a great run this year, but let's not pretend he's used to this. His mean is around 7 wins a season at lesser programs, aside from this TCU team. Look at his history in lower conferences. But sure, those were just practice coaching jobs, he was finally ready this year. 

Lol your argument is he is only better than sark if he could do with this Texas roster what he has done at TCU

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m pretty sure half the coaches in P5 conference would have won more games than sark at texas this year and I put Dykes in that half

Fine. You think Dykes is a wizard and so is every other coach and could do better with a bunch of freshmen and shitty WR's left by Herman. Cool. 

I'm happy you can prognosticate 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Fine. You think Dykes is a wizard and so is every other coach and could do better with a bunch of freshmen and shitty WR's left by Herman. Cool. 

Wow. Being better than sark makes him a wizard. Enjoy your new year

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Dykes is coaching a team next Monday. Sark is not. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m pretty sure half the coaches in P5 conference would have won more games than sark at texas this year and I put Dykes in that half

This is the correct answer. Remember when Mack in his first year had the best RB in college football? 9 wins and a heisman. That’s what sark could have done in his second year. Did he, nope. Just a shit year.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:
Is this true or he just trying to be an asshole? As much as this forum hates Ketch & Chip Brown, I don't really hate those 2 guys at all and Bohls is who I've always hated.

I've been in Austin since the 90s, and for as long as I can remember, I just tune out Bohls or ignore his writing.  I really don't know what the fuck his problem is or when it started, but I've always felt he's hated UT football.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RPM said:

Ya gotta root for TCU to win it all. Dykes is the real deal, he inherited a sound team and survived the portal madness. XII represent.

35 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

TCU playing for a national championship. Still sounds crazy

But it's got OU and aggy pissed off, so I'm a little pleased.  And Alabama didn't even make the cut.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Cool.  And my point is Dykes didn't need a 5-star roster to handle us--regardless of our chuckles handicap.

The guy can coach.  And $500 says his wife doesn't choose his wardrobe.

Don't kid yourself. WE know she chooses what he wears, or else he would show up in a wife beater and cargo shorts. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Indeed. When I was growing up (I’m 60) we would routinely score 50-70 points against them. They were horribad and no one in FW cared about them. Let’s go back to those days. That said, I’ll likely root for them vs GA. 

9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Do you think Dykes was taking a frosh qb, no WR's, and an anemic offensive line anywhere close to the CFP? Do you think he was going to beat Bama in week 2? Don't be stupid and act like Dykes is some wizard. His past records prove that he's not, and he had a future #1 overall pick as his qb and did nothing at Cal. But sure, all these players he just recruited and made a historic run, it had nothing to do with  the prior regime. Let's see how the wizard does next season when those players are gone. 

You're saying Dykes got lucky this year, but it's impossible the same 'luck' could have happened at another program.

He's a good fucking coach who has earned every bit of what happened to his program this season.

7 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

I'm pretty ok with it.  It's like Rice winning the CWS a few years back.  I was happy for them.  Of course having our own turns at the top in that time period took a lot of sting out of it.

As for Dykes, he is probably a pretty decent coach, time will tell if he can repeat anything like this.  Gary fuckin Patterson could put together one hell of a functional roster.  I don't know wtf was going on with him in his last years at TCU, but 5-7 last year was probably some kind of anomaly for him.  I also think the portal was adversely affecting TCU, but can't really prove it.  Possibly same at SMU for Dykes.

People love to crow about 7 win Steve, but Dykes historically should get an even worse moniker.  

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 9:47 AM, Juicy said:

It seems that all of the hope that TCU has for this game was that they bottled up Bijan and Texas. 30 yards on 12 carriers or something. Michigan had 10 yards against Ohio State in the first half, and didn't abandon the run just kept grinding and got 240+ in the second half. 

I guess TCU could sell out to stop the run all game and keep Michigan in check, but I think even then there will be enough play action deep balls from JJ that Ohio State got the same dose of.

You fucking idiot.