2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The grass in my backyard has greened, but not really started growing (zoysia) because it loves heat. I looked back at pictures taken in the yard past springs and it's always green and tall by now. This is the coolest spring I can remember. And yes, I'm soaking it in as much as possible.

Ours exactly this.  The color is there.  BUt there's it's not just getting the height and any trafficked areas are showing root exposure.  I gotta deep water some areas if this next week of precip doesn't pan out.  I'm also gonna aerate some areas, which isn't usually done this time of year but I gotta do something and then lay down some topsoil in some areas.  It's just goofy.  Weeds are finally subsiding and colors are okay and it's properly dense in most areas, but there's just these weird gaps with root systems exposed.  That doesn't ever happen in late April even with prolonged draught.  

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Ours exactly this.  The color is there.  BUt there's it's not just getting the height and any trafficked areas are showing root exposure.  I gotta deep water some areas if this next week of precip doesn't pan out.  I'm also gonna aerate some areas, which isn't usually done this time of year but I gotta do something and then lay down some topsoil in some areas.  It's just goofy.  Weeds are finally subsiding and colors are okay and it's properly dense in most areas, but there's just these weird gaps with root systems exposed.  That doesn't ever happen in late April even with prolonged draught.  

We must have the same backyards. Exactly the same with mine. Actually ordered some plugs to plant as the zoysia grows pretty slow anyway. But anywhere there has been traffic looks really rough. Hadn't thought about spreading topsoil but I guess wouldn't hurt. 

Between drought, ice storm, traffic, and now 5" of rain in an hour, it's been hit really hard in the past year. The cool weather is just keeping it from springing back. Had about 7" of rain this month. That with 85 degrees would have it doing well. So it goes.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was led to believe we would be getting shellacked with 'naders and haelstrom.

It's been very up and down.  Here's the next 7-day rainfall... but I feel like it's been roughly the same for a week. It's like stuff doesn't pan out, but the conditions are still there.

image.png.61b34d3c6cf032f26b239b9761e90856.png

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It's been very up and down.  Here's the next 7-day rainfall... but I feel like it's been roughly the same for a week. It's like stuff doesn't pan out, but the conditions are still there.

AKA, Austin weather, all the time, for all time.  

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

They just retracted the text lol.  

took them more than an hour to retract it.

thats some serious speed on the response.... lol

reminds me of when the State of Hawaii sent out the "N Korean Missile launch heading to Hawaii.... kiss your ass goodbye, this is not a drill" message...  and their disaster team had no way to retract the message, or send a follow up, so all of Hawaii thought they were getting wiped off the map in the next 20 mins.

took them 38 mins to retract the message

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Damn if the radar projections are correct people near and to the northwest of Stephenville better stay frosty and watch their six…in about an hour it looks like a pretty bad one. 

You don't see white on the radar very often

Screenshot2023-04-26161400.thumb.jpg.1afbdf05aeb3df668cd0b8851ebe1442.jpg

I'm guessing that's crazy hard rain with a ton of hail

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

You don't see white on the radar very often

Screenshot2023-04-26161400.thumb.jpg.1afbdf05aeb3df668cd0b8851ebe1442.jpg

I'm guessing that's crazy hard rain with a ton of hail

Scary shit regardless. Watching the projection anyway…how it develops. I guess if I am near or in Stephenville I’m thinking about shelter plans. 

So, good luck to you Centex dwellers.

Today has to be one of the biggest wet farts in the history of the Storm Prediction Center.

Today's Convective Outlook.

2000 UTC Day 1 Outlook

And nawf Texas looks to get some flash flooding, now.

I don't recall being Enhanced without at least a STS or Tornado Watch.