2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

22 minutes ago, royiv said:

My biggest takeaway this evening is that there are a lot of hoarders on this site that use their garage as a storage unit.

Sort of guilty. My garage doubles as my work shop. I like to buy a bunch of shit I will use 2 times and then move when I need to put the vehicles in. My wife's words.... Table saw is a huge problem right now so thanks for piling on with my wife pendejo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

People driving into water

simon cowell facepalm GIF

I always wonder where some people are going in severe weather. Like I get coming home from work or an emergency type deal…but I swear 2/3 of people are just fucking doing dumb shit that can wait until tomorrow or until weather clears up. Like people that normally drive shitty in perfect weather are like “Hey I need to tool on down to Chik Fila or some shit.”

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Some more development out west...maybe us deprived souls down south will get something.

First round skirted north of us by like a mile I shit you not then this next round looked like a bullseye for us and it’s scooting south. We will be lucky to get 0.1 inch out of this.  

...A strong thunderstorm will impact portions of southeastern Travis and northwestern Bastrop Counties through 1230 AM CDT... At 1139 PM CDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm near Austin Bergstrom Int Airport, moving northeast at 15 mph. HAZARD...Wind gusts up to 50 mph and penny size hail. SOURCE...Radar indicated. IMPACT...Gusty winds could knock down tree limbs and blow around unsecured objects. Minor damage to outdoor objects is possible. Locations impacted include... Austin, Elgin, Austin Bergstrom Int Airport, Manor, Wyldwood, Camp Swift, Hornsby Bend, Webberville, Garfield, Del Valle, Pilot Knob, Cedar Hills and McKinney Falls State Park.

That was a huge nothing-burger then got real fucking weird, real fucking quick.  Waiting another hour so I don't wake anybody to go outside and see if there's any damage.  

But hope everybody made it safely home.  We can always fix a roof or fence.  Looks like Sunday is just gonna be straight deluge of rain.  Springtime in Austin, yey?

4.99" in NW Austin. And about 4.5" of that came in about an hour. Never been in a spot where it's rained that much in that short a time. During Harvey we got about 7 inches, but that was over a day or two.

Backyard flooded. Had to go move some landscape edging to release the water. Between kids, drought, heat, and ice storms, the backyard was already looking rough. Now it looks even worse. Even put down grass seed a week ago that I figure is somewhere in a creekbed now.

Just a mile down the road, they got half that. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

The picture combined with the description from Kens5 last night cracked me up. I guess they had a parade bc the storms moved away from San Antonio? Lol. Screenshot bc it just reminded me of that headlines bit from the papers Leno used to do back in the day…

DAD60C86-45E5-4D2E-B1F9-38B907F603CE.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

Officially 0.09 inches in Spicewood across the street from us.  5 inches woulda gotten us through the summer almost by itself (12,000+ gallons). Damn.

I have a valley on the backside of the house without a gutter. I put a concrete block there to keep the runoff from digging a hole. Now I've taken to putting a 5-gallon bucket there to catch rainwater to use on plants that are under eves, etc. Ran out in the middle of it and that bucket was completely full within minutes and the runoff was coming so hard it was hitting a foot further out from the block and bucket. Just dumping rain like I've never seen. 

I also need a new roof. So much granules from the shingles. Like piles of it.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I have a valley on the backside of the house without a gutter. I put a concrete block there to keep the runoff from digging a hole. Now I've taken to putting a 5-gallon bucket there to catch rainwater to use on plants that are under eves, etc. Ran out in the middle of it and that bucket was completely full within minutes and the runoff was coming so hard it was hitting a foot further out from the block and bucket. Just dumping rain like I've never seen. 

I also need a new roof. So much granules from the shingles. Like piles of it.

Rain water collection is really powerful actually, it accumulates so quickly.  Just the light rain we received for 20 mins (0.1 inches) netted us about 260 gallons.

0.35" last night near Henly.  First round went well north of us, but got a strong little cell came through around 10:15 last night.  

For the record, I'm so stoked about my new rainwater collection system.  56,000 gallons.  Between the house, garage and guest house, I get about 10,000 gallons for every inch of rain now.  So, that little cell last night provided us with about 3,500 gallons.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

0.35" last night near Henly.  First round went well north of us, but got a strong little cell came through around 10:15 last night.  

For the record, I'm so stoked about my new rainwater collection system.  56,000 gallons.  Between the house, garage and guest house, I get about 10,000 gallons for every inch of rain now.  So, that little cell last night provided us with about 3,500 gallons.  

it's pretty awesome, we have 65,000 gallons and 4200 sq of collection so 1 inch is about 2,620 gallons for us.  our home use is pretty tight absent pool use (irrigation is gray water or septic field so it doesn't even really count).  We have about 12,000 gallons at the moment (started collecting only recently) so we need to get it up this spring after that we should be fine.

the most interesting part is how it drives conservation because the renewability of the resource is so directly tied to our collection and use.  if everyone was closer to the resource I believe conservation efforts would be much, much more successful.

• Hook 'Em 2