2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

This.  During the hottest days this summer the afternoon humidity in Houston often was in the 28-32% range.  That’s low for Houston.  Afternoon golf at 100+ degrees was much more bearable than a morning tee time in the low 90’s with much higher humidity.  

100% agree although some friends thought I was crazy. We played one Friday afternoon when it was still 105. It wasn’t bad as there is more shade available in the afternoon and evening. We played the next morning and it was brutal.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Hate said:

100% agree although some friends thought I was crazy. We played one Friday afternoon when it was still 105. It wasn’t bad as there is more shade available in the afternoon and evening. We played the next morning and it was brutal.

I've had to lower my A/C temperature two degrees below where I had it during peak blast furnace to try and get some of this humidity out of the house.

-PDO is not allowing the current El Nino to "couple" with the atmosphere which is frustrating. Timing is everything though- had that EPAC system that gave us some light rain/drizzle this week been moving in today/tonight it would have been a nice rainmaker with the cold front moving in.

Current drought monitor

spacer.png

by my calcs..

• June 2.22
  • July 0.16
  • August 0.14
  • September 1.08
  • October 1.74

5.34 inches in 5 months. is that bad?

*footnote.. those may be airport numbers. I see Camp Mabry recorded only 1.31″ in June, July and August this year.

Edited by yoladu
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

by my calcs..

• June 2.22
  • July 0.16
  • August 0.14
  • September 1.08
  • October 1.74

*footnote.. those may be airport numbers. I see Camp Mabry recorded only 1.31″ in June, July and August this year.

Under 10 inches for a year is considered a desert.

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

by my calcs..

• June 2.22
  • July 0.16
  • August 0.14
  • September 1.08
  • October 1.74

Mabry:

June 1: 13.16" for the year
October 18: 17.55" for the year

4.39" in four and a half months.

On May 15 we were actually 0.01" above normal. Now we are 11.2" below.

image.png.5d0f78cd50a4eccea5fbdb8f898bf227.png

Lots of "variables and moving parts." We already know what that means.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Mabry:

June 1: 13.16" for the year
October 18: 17.55" for the year

4.39" in four and a half months.

On May 15 we were actually 0.01" above normal. Now we are 11.2" below.

image.png.5d0f78cd50a4eccea5fbdb8f898bf227.png

Lots of "variables and moving parts." We already know what that means.

image.gif.3af514512c3dc8208e3eb1e49924d047.gif

I wouldn't pay attention to the rain totals Wunderground shows, but the general directions they get right. A week of overcast and drizzly weather in late October? Damn right I'll take that.

image.thumb.png.0ea38451b19c5e3881c5bdc608126f5f.png

Euro ensembles aren't exactly bringing the flood around here, QPF totals are higher to the north and west. Some might get 1-2" next week if we're lucky- hopefully the EPAC does EPAC things and overperforms- these are usually our best rainmakers in central TX. The -PDO is killing us though- hence why it's hot as balls today. Too much stable, sinking air- same as the last 3 years straight.

The strong -PDO is essentially cancelling out the El Nino right now. At least there's a chance we will be getting something next week.

spacer.png

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite

14 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

If they lakes get some, well better than none. Just moved all my plants outside for a day of sun and then some light rain. 

Unfortunately it looks like the highest totals will be north of the Colorado River basin.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 1