2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

I’d expect this to do almost nothing for the lakes. But if we could get some more rain right on top of this in the next week or two then we’d be talking. 3-4 inches of rain on top of wet ground would be most excellent if not a little flash floody.

15 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

The Llano basin might get 3-6" over the next 24 hours. Let's not count out a little bit of quantifiable inflows. 

Well 6-10 inches total will move the needle a bit. Kxan was showing 3-4 tops. 

Edited by troph

We have been getting a good amount in western round rock so I checked the lake Travis level. Hasn’t gone up at all. I know it’s not immediate and it doesn’t have the biggest drainage basin. It’s amazing how much water really dry ground can soak up as well.

Hopefully this next round coming in will show up in the lake levels.

2 hours ago, troph said:

I’d expect this to do almost nothing for the lakes. But if we could get some more rain right on top of this in the next week or two then we’d be talking. 3-4 inches of rain on top of wet ground would be most excellent if not a little flash floody.

Just let me have some hope!

Wide spread it’s 1-1.5 for lake Travis basin right now. There are a few higher spots and even better results in the LBJ watershed. Nothing much above 4 so far. We are several inches of rain to go before the lakes start to rise even a little. Inflows were close to zero on most creeks. It is bad out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m surprised. Yeah that shit just parked out there all night.  For once the weather folks were wrong the right direction. 

Actually they showed where it could all go down and talked about those bullseyes.  They actually got it if you look at the models and the flood threat beforehand.

Signed, Avery's mom 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Actually they showed where it could all go down and talked about those bullseyes.  They actually got it if you look at the models and the flood threat beforehand.

Signed, Avery's mom 

I don’t care to argue about good news - the clips I saw showed 3-4 inches with isolated areas up to 6 out west. And 1-1.5 as it got closer to town. The actual results show the llano basin has wide spread 6-7 and one spot with over 9. Risk of flood was 1-2 out of 5 out west. If I have to be wrong here to be happy I’ll gladly go out and pick my own switch. 

Edited by troph

Some water should flow into Lake Buchanan with the rainfall north of the lake.

Glad to see Llano River flowing better again.  Think I heard Sandy Creek has a little bit of water moving too.

Any chance some of the FBG rain makes much of a difference for the Pedernales River downstream??

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

34 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Any chance some of the FBG rain makes much of a difference for the Pedernales River downstream??

Not really, the Ped/LT basin out toward FBurg only got like 1-3" scattered around and the streamflows show that it's mostly just soaking in.  Max flo is 1,564 way out west, and a bunch of zeroes closer in.

I know, DebbieDowner.gif

• Haha 1

Jesus. About an inch in 15-20 minutes. Our place has gotten so many rain bombs this year. It doesn't rain forever and when it does, it's torrential.

Had 4-5 inches in an hour earlier this year.

33 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we have 2 umbrellas for every person in this house.  they get the most use as sun shades watching youth sports.  seems like every time there's a big rain event i've left them in the garage.

This... soccer tournaments in May and September under record-setting heat.

But man its raining balls out in SW Austin right now.

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Right about now a whole bunch of people are already forgetting about this past summer. 

Not if lake levels don't move but y'all, thank God for all this.  The parkland around here looked so dreadful for months and now it is nice and green... all this water flowing in is amazing.  Maybe maybe maybe we'll see Slaughter actually flowing this winter.

Bosque River flowing 23.4k cf/s right now at Valley Mills.  That should put a little water back in to Lake Waco.  

I bet we got a solid 2-2.5 inches over the course of last night and this morning.  I'll take it.  Just in time to pick a huge batch of jalapeno and banana pepper right before the cool down next week.  

• Hook 'Em 2