the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The more I read about Mike Johnson, the more I would prefer Jim Jordan as Speaker. Jordan is an asshat but at least we understand who he is.

I’m uncertain if we’ve ever had a religious fundamentalist this close to the Presidency. His wife didn’t go his swearing in as speaker because she was tired from praying? And he feels that God put him in the Speaker role? I assume that any opinion he has is actually God working through him which leaves no room for compromise. You can’t compromise God’s word.

lets hope that Johnson does what we expect so that the House can flip to blue next year. Especially since the senate could easily go red.

Something's up.  And why wouldn't it be?! 😃

• Haha 1

So, Mister Speaker...what have you done to help contribute to a more robust workforce in America?

"Well, my lovely wife and I have four children."

But that's more of a blessing of marriage, right?  Primary goal there was to be fruitful and multiply as God wishes.  What have you done personally?

"You mean to put more able-bodied men to work in American labor?  I signed some papers and brought on a large black boy to live on our homestead.  He contributes his labor to our Louisiana economy."

Mmmmkay...

On 10/28/2023 at 9:08 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The more I read about Mike Johnson, the more I would prefer Jim Jordan as Speaker. Jordan is an asshat but at least we understand who he is.

I’m uncertain if we’ve ever had a religious fundamentalist this close to the Presidency. His wife didn’t go his swearing in as speaker because she was tired from praying? And he feels that God put him in the Speaker role? I assume that any opinion he has is actually God working through him which leaves no room for compromise. You can’t compromise God’s word.

lets hope that Johnson does what we expect so that the House can flip to blue next year. Especially since the senate could easily go red.

fuck theM both ….

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

So it came out that he's against no-fault divorces.

Of course the Texas Republican Party followed his lead for their 2022 platform

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/09/no-fault-divorce-laws-republicans-repeal/675371/#

But now conservative politicians in states such as Texas and Louisiana, as well as a devoutly Catholic husband who tried to halt his wife’s divorce efforts in Nebraska, are attacking no-fault divorce. One of the more alarming steps taken in that direction came from the Texas Republican Party, whose 2022 platform called on the legislature to “rescind unilateral no-fault divorce laws and support covenant marriage.” Given the Republican Party’s control of the offices of governor, secretary of state, and attorney general, and both chambers of the state legislature, Texas has a chance of actually doing it.

13 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

You know, if that had been edited differently it could have been implied that Mr. T was saying that to Burgess Meredith, which would have changed the entire tenor of the film.  

I think he yelled "Hey Old man" shortly before this line.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So it came out that he's against no-fault divorces.

Of course the Texas Republican Party followed his lead for their 2022 platform

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/09/no-fault-divorce-laws-republicans-repeal/675371/#

Because getting on with your life after a failed relationship and trying to be amicable with the person you are getting divorced from seems so horrible.  

And tens of millions of women will line up at dawn to vote for these kinds of platforms.  

men were, by far, the worst thing to ever happen to women.  but congrats ladies, you’ve really narrowed the gap.  

Voting to trap your daughters into forced marriages entered into by pressure from the blurred church/state line because she was forced to carry a baby to term to widen our labor pool.  Between that and funding more educational opportunities for her at an earlier age; you chose the former.  Well done 

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Hey, I blame Eve:

Adam and Eve

When I was a young teen, I accidentally stumbled across my parents' Adam & Eve catalogs in the back of the closet, in a box inside of another box inside of an old suitcase under a bunch of quilts.

Eye-opening to say the least, so this hits home.

Finding those catalogs was.....this is approximately what I looked like when I found them:

Hugh Jackman Reaction GIF

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

The reason? Because lack of replacement means we have to allow immigration.  No way a nation of immigrants should do that.  

THIS.  I do not get, at all, the argument that low birth rate is some horrifying apocalypse for America.  There's plenty of people, just the wrong color.

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Oh wow that sure took a while

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4280362-mcconnell-speaker-johnson-headed-for-shutdown-clash-over-ukraine/

Government shutdown over Ukraine, wow how innovative by the new GOP

Maybe before he dies McConnell can do something positive for the world.  Or McDonnell Douglas, Raytheon, Colt, etc. should put him on the payroll.

Oh, what am I saying.  I meant "give him a pay bump."

3 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Maybe before he dies McConnell can do something positive for the world.  Or McDonnell Douglas, Raytheon, Colt, etc. should put him on the payroll.

Oh, what am I saying.  I meant "give him a pay bump."

Mitch isn’t the problem here. It’s High Commander Johnson 

McConnell says he wants to keep military aid to Ukraine and Israel tied together because he views those conflicts as part of a larger global threat. He has repeatedly warned that picking a fight with Democrats that could result in a government shutdown is bad politics for the GOP.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Mitch isn’t the problem here. It’s High Commander Johnson 

I guess I should have been more clear: since Mitch supports aid to Ukraine maybe he could do something positive and arm twist Johnson to vote for Ukraine+Israel aid as a package so Schumer, Jeffries, and Biden stand by and watch. 

Of course, he's spent months busting Tuberville's balls about holding up promotions.  Oh, wait. . . .

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Yeah, Mitch is a horrible human being, but he's on the right side with aid for Ukraine.  He knows the only reason that Johnson wants to separate aid for Ukraine and Israel is so the magats can stop it eventually.  They can't oppose anything related to Israel because of the evangelicals.  If it's not tied to Ukraine, then they can kill support for Ukraine funding.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I guess I should have been more clear: since Mitch supports aid to Ukraine maybe he could do something positive and arm twist Johnson to vote for Ukraine+Israel aid as a package so Schumer, Jeffries, and Biden stand by and watch. 

Of course, he's spent months busting Tuberville's balls about holding up promotions.  Oh, wait. . . .

He probably will twist his arm. The dude has been speaker all of less than a week. If Johnson and the MAGATs in the House want to shut it down over Ukraine aid, that’s going to be on them. It’s hard to blame the Dems when even the Senate GOP Leader is on their side 

• Hook 'Em 2