2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

1 minute ago, TexEx15 said:

About that.

He pounded the zone all game starting with the first batter.  He was outstanding.  

He also had a really good change working.  I don’t think he had command of that pitch like that in his prior starts. 

Edited by ClubWhatever
Z

36 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He pounded the zone all game starting with the first batter.  He was outstanding.  

He also had a really good change working.  I don’t think he had command of that pitch like that in his prior starts. 

Henley has good stuff, good movement.   His key is keeping the ball down in the zone.  For the most part he did that today.  Got in trouble when he didn't. 

Texas Baseball is best when it has a designated closer. A guy who owns the responsibility. Street, Cox, Knebel, Wood, Thames, etc...  I’d like to see Pierce designate someone. Who is the guy?

Diaz when healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

Quintanilla

Yeah, beat me to it. Every time I've seen him he's looked pretty damn impressive. Great heat on the fastball, and impeccable location on breaking pitches and changeup. He had 'em chasing their tails trying to figure out what was coming next yesterday.

No. I’m just kidding. We have actually sucked when we have a designated closer. Our worst teams have had designated closers. We are way better just being random.

The comment was to the “who is he?” the night or morning after we saw a kid mow down the opposition in a closer role.

10 minutes ago, troph said:

The comment was to the “who is he?” the night or morning after we saw a kid mow down the opposition in a closer role.

He is really good and certainly could do it. May be best in a starting role or long relief. Diaz, Bryant, other options exist. Have to have an attitude and leadership to really be great, IMO. 

He is really good and certainly could do it. May be best in a starting role or long relief. Diaz, Bryant, other options exist. Have to have an attitude and leadership to really be great, IMO. 

He seemed to have it against the (former) #1 team in the nation in an early season defining series. He had a nice lead so it may take more to see but those strikeouts and his aggression toward the strike zone were totally impressive.

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Phil Haig seems to be pretty good with the pitchers.  I look at his bio and he’s been a volunteer coach with DP for the past 7 years.  How does he manage that financially?

No clue.  I googled around and don't see a lot of other visible means of support.  Allusions to golf (pro?) and duck hunting (guide?).  Also , he was booted off his UI baseball team.

46 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Phil Haig seems to be pretty good with the pitchers.  I look at his bio and he’s been a volunteer coach with DP for the past 7 years.  How does he manage that financially?

34 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

No clue.  I googled around and don't see a lot of other visible means of support.  Allusions to golf (pro?) and duck hunting (guide?).  Also , he was booted off his UI baseball team.

Makes money running camps

Finally is right.  That will be a fun little Big XII / SEC challenge.  It was already announced that aggy will be in the undercard in frisco.  I'm cool with that. 

So cougar high and rice won't be there?  I thought they were there every year.

So, about our defensive issues. How much do you think it’s due to practice/emphasis versus pierce just recruiting and playing dudes that can hit as opposed to field? We are definitely a much better hitting team. I can live with some fielding miscues, but it’s weird seeing ut being somewhat sloppy on defense. 

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

So, about our defensive issues. How much do you think it’s due to practice/emphasis versus pierce just recruiting and playing dudes that can hit as opposed to field? We are definitely a much better hitting team. I can live with some fielding miscues, but it’s weird seeing ut being somewhat sloppy on defense. 

Between the outright errors and McCann giving up free bases left and right, there's definitely room for improvement.  I'm not going to complain though when we're able to overcome all of that to sweep the #2 team in the country.