I completely ignored HS football this weekend because I was at this game:

20231028_141452.jpg

Top games this week:

Duncanville @ Desoto

49-35 Eagles in a shocker

SLC @ Byron Nelson

Bigger shocker, BN 34-17

Atascocita @ NS

61-35 NS, but expect them to play again in the region finals.

San Benito @ Los Fresnos

38-14 Fighting Fenders

MCKinney @ Guyer

37-20 McKinney.  Guyer and Allen are tied for 3rd in that district.

Willis @ Woodlands

DJ Lagway 31 of 36, 384 yards, 4 TDs plus 211 rushing yards and 3 TDs on Saturday as Willis beat The Woodlands 60-52

SummerCreek @ CE King

33-12 Creek

Allen @ Prosper

37-36 Prosper in a barnburner

T'view @ Richland

37-27 Richland!

Texarkana @ Whitehouse

45-21 Texark

College Station-A&M Consol

49-42 CS, they have never lost to AMC.

Van @ Carthage

Yawn, 35-7 Bulldogs

Whitney @ Grandview

40-32 Zebras!  That's Whitney's first loss

Hallettsville @ Hitchcock

55-24 Hitchcock.  They have a shot at Jerryworld.

Stamford @ Hawley

34-30 Hawley, Stamford's first loss

Also,

LT 62 Austin High 14

Steele 52 Judson 14  Rockets now 3-6.

Vict East 14 CC Vets 10

Fulshear 30 Manvel 26

Anna 21 Paris 20

Franklin 59 Yoe 14

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Who was talking about Duncanville as the team of the decade?  They’ve lost three of the last four title games they’ve played in…to the same team each time. 

Duncanville lost, so they clearly didnt live up to it, but team of the Decade refers to this year's team. Nobody cares what 81-84 Yates did in the playoffs, or 84-87 Carter. Did Daingerfield win state from 1980 through 1982.

People hyped up Duncanville because they have a remarkable number of 5 and high 4 star prospects and had completely obliterated every team on their schedule. They ran into a great DeSoto team that managed to beat them for the first time since 2016

Also, Duncanville beat them boys from the east last year, and one of those Three in a Row came on a miracle hail mary, so it's not some lopsided series with North Shore 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

This is a cool scenario for final week of regular season.  Idalou has clinched and Stanton is out. However,  Abernathy plays Coahoma and Roosevelt plays Littlefield, with each team controlling their own destiny. If Littlefield loses, Abernathy is at worst the  4th seed. If Coahoma loses, Roosevelt is at worst the 4 seed.  4 teams face off, and  3 will advance.

chool Name *W-L *Pct. *PF *PA W-L Pct. PF PA Strk
Idalou 4-0 1.000 155 42 5-4 0.556 254 171 4 W
Abernathy 2-2 0.500 116 84 4-5 0.444 207 197 2 W
Roosevelt 2-2 0.500 86 97 6-3 0.667 244 160 2 L
Littlefield 2-2 0.500 141 129 6-3 0.667 327 252 2 L
Coahoma 2-2 0.500 142 159 5-4 0.556 354 322 2 W
Stanton 0-4 0.000 70 199 1-8 0.111 139 332 8 L
Edited by slorch

On 10/29/2023 at 5:02 AM, cmontexas said:

Duncanville lost, so they clearly didnt live up to it, but team of the Decade refers to this year's team. Nobody cares what 81-84 Yates did in the playoffs, or 84-87 Carter. Did Daingerfield win state from 1980 through 1982.

People hyped up Duncanville because they have a remarkable number of 5 and high 4 star prospects and had completely obliterated every team on their schedule. They ran into a great DeSoto team that managed to beat them for the first time since 2016

Also, Duncanville beat them boys from the east last year, and one of those Three in a Row came on a miracle hail mary, so it's not some lopsided series with North Shore 

Duncanville has had a running clock in at least 3 district games (maybe 4), so I understood the hype.  but you always have to wait for the ink to dry before making "greatest ever" claims.  jmo

2 hours ago, cochamps said:

but you always have to wait for the ink to dry before making "greatest ever" claims.  jmo

They were undefeated state champs last year, it’s not like the hype was based on nothing.

Desoto is just really good too, (they were also state champs last year).

On 10/29/2023 at 5:02 AM, cmontexas said:

And in another one of those three in a row, Duncanville’s star QB blew out his knee in the state semifinals and the backup was a freshman. I actually think that was Duncanville’s best team. 

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

And in another one of those three in a row, Duncanville’s star QB blew out his knee in the state semifinals and the backup was a freshman. I actually think that was Duncanville’s best team. 

Yeah I guess, but the only win Dville has over NS recently is when NS lost their QB and had to use a WR to play QB.  So I guess we could play whaddabout, but probably not worth anybody's time.  I'm a Highland Park fan, so am looking forward to some juicy 5A, non-Aledo competition in future years!

Getting ahead of ourselves, I realize.  But we are just 5 days away from wrapping up the final regular season.  What day/time/website is the bracket typically released?  I follow my local team kinda, but daughter is getting more into it this year as she's an older elementary schooler now and some of her friends and neighbors have siblings on the team.  She wants to do a "march madness kinda bracket thing, dad"  

25 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Getting ahead of ourselves, I realize.  But we are just 5 days away from wrapping up the final regular season.  What day/time/website is the bracket typically released?  I follow my local team kinda, but daughter is getting more into it this year as she's an older elementary schooler now and some of her friends and neighbors have siblings on the team.  She wants to do a "march madness kinda bracket thing, dad"  

Some matchups are already known, but the whole thing won’t be finalized until this Sunday barring weather. 

March madness-style bracket for high school playoffs sounds pretty ambitious. Godspeed to your daughter.

Yeah, you should be able to confirm by late Saturday as Bi-District is pre-planned with regard to location many times.  Sunday should be good to go and somebody will probably post em on here.

Some matchups are already known, but the whole thing won’t be finalized until this Sunday barring weather. 

March madness-style bracket for high school playoffs sounds pretty ambitious. Godspeed to your daughter.

Good news is we know you’d go 2-whatever in the championship rounds. Gotta admit an 0-8 start was pretty impressive

5 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Good news is we know you’d go 2-whatever in the championship rounds. Gotta admit an 0-8 start was pretty impressive

*0-7. Went 3-2 over the final 5 games but no one ever mentions that part. I literally could not do that bad again if I tried to, so I’m expecting a much better record this year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I were a bookie, these would be the teams I'd have as favorites in each region as of now:

2AD1: Hawley, Tolar, Timpson, Refugio

2AD2: New Home, Albany, Mart, Bremond

3AD1: Brock, Malakoff, Columbus, Edna

3AD2: Canadian, Gunter, Newton, Tidehaven

4AD1: Brownwood, Celina, Kilgore, Boerne

4AD2: West Plains, Carthage, Silsbee, Wimberley

5AD1: Aledo, Longview, Fulshear, PSJAN

5AD2: Argyle, Melissa, Lake Creek, SA Pieper

6AD1: Prosper, Duncanville, North Shore, Westlake

6AD2: McKinney, Desoto, Summer Creek, Vandegrift

• Hook 'Em 4

Give me Smithson Valley over Fulshear in 5AD1 Region 3.

I talk about it a lot but jesus fuck at SA MacArthur. I lived in SA a few years as a kid and Mac was one of the better NEISD schools/teams. I believe they even had a couple state semifinal and quarterfinal runs in the late 2000s. Now they might truly be one of the worst programs in the state, something like 5 wins in the past 5 years I think. 

IMG_3823.thumb.jpeg.7ad294c3d01d5d509ca391eb864f1fb1.jpeg

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Give me Smithson Valley over Fulshear in 5AD1 Region 3.

I talk about it a lot but jesus fuck at SA MacArthur. I lived in SA a few years as a kid and Mac was one of the better NEISD schools/teams. I believe they even had a couple state semifinal and quarterfinal runs in the late 2000s. Now they might truly be one of the worst programs in the state, something like 5 wins in the past 5 years I think. 

IMG_3823.thumb.jpeg.7ad294c3d01d5d509ca391eb864f1fb1.jpeg

image.png.d6d30e671882a8ef6854ab747e4fbba6.png

SA Lee is really really bad.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Top games of the week:

Weslaco @ San Benito

Chapel Hill @ Kilgore

Prosper @ McKinney

Cy Springs @ Bridgeland  I think this is the Thursday game on TV on Choke City TV Network.

Summer Creek-Atascocita

Midlo @ Red Oak

Lovejoy @ Melissa  This is tonight and might be the Game of the Week for the whole state

G-P @ Flour Bluff

Celina @ Frisco Panther Creek 

Sulphur Springs @ Anna

Jasper @ Silsbee

Ingleside @ Sinton

Harmony @ Daingerfield

Garrison @ Timpson  Both undefeated

Hawley @ Cisco

Refugio @ Ganado

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Top games of the week:

Weslaco @ San Benito

Chapel Hill @ Kilgore

Prosper @ McKinney

Cy Springs @ Bridgeland  I think this is the Thursday game on TV on Choke City TV Network.

Summer Creek-Atascocita

Midlo @ Red Oak

Lovejoy @ Melissa  This is tonight and might be the Game of the Week for the whole state

G-P @ Flour Bluff

Sulphur Springs @ Anna

Jasper @ Silsbee

Ingleside @ Sinton

Harmony @ Daingerfield

Hawley @ Cisco

Refugio @ Ganado

Go Garrison!

LD Bell stuns Trinity. First time Bell has won this game in like 26 years. Trinity’s coach is Lineweaver’s son and there was a lot of questions about the hire when it was made. I don’t see how he can remain coach after that. 11-11 in 2 years with a loss to Bell. Yikes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

LD Bell stuns Trinity. First time Bell has won this game in like 26 years. Trinity’s coach is Lineweaver’s son and there was a lot of questions about the hire when it was made. I don’t see how he can remain coach after that. 11-11 in 2 years with a loss to Bell. Yikes. 

Sets up a 3way tie for 3rd in that district between Bell, Crowley and Boswell. Have to dig into the tiebreakers

Man, Bell-Trinity used to be the best rivalry in the state.  

Bunch of interesting games tonight:

Lovejoy 28 Melissa 7  That region is going to be great.

LT 66 Bowie 14

Austin High 28 Del Valle 13

NB 37 Judson 35  Judson only makes the playoffs because they're in a 6-team district with San Marcos and ECentral.

Bridgeland 48 Springs 17

Prosper 24 McKinney 12

Red Oak 21 Midlo 7

Ryan 28 Northwest 14

Panther Creek 31 Celina 27

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, Bell-Trinity used to be the best rivalry in the state.  

Bunch of interesting games tonight:
Lovejoy 28 Melissa 7  That region is going to be great.
LT 66 Bowie 14
Austin High 28 Del Valle 13
NB 37 Judson 35  Judson only makes the playoffs because they're in a 6-team district with San Marcos and ECentral.
Bridgeland 48 Springs 17
Prosper 24 McKinney 12
Red Oak 21 Midlo 7
Ryan 28 Northwest 14
Panther Creek 31 Celina 27

Big win for Panther Creek. This is only their 2nd season and they only won 3 games last year.

Lovejoy is not a big surprise as their only loss is to 6A #6 North Crowley.

Texarkana could finish the regular season # 3 5A 2 in State. District is kinda weak but they gave 5A1 #6 Lonestar their only loss and 5A2 #10 Colleyville Heritage their only loss.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Big win for Panther Creek. This is only their 2nd season and they only won 3 games last year.

Lovejoy is not a big surprise as their only loss is to 6A #6 North Crowley.

Texarkana could finish the regular season # 3 5A 2 in State. District is kinda weak but they gave 5A1 #6 Lonestar their only loss and 5A2 #10 Colleyville Heritage their only loss.

TXK 5a is struggling a little right now. TXK pleasant grove playing well vs a rejuvenated Longview Spring Hill who now runs a similar offense. If they win there would be a three way tie with PG, Gilmer, and Spring Hill. Crazy Spring Hill is in the hunt.

TXK 5a is struggling a little right now. TXK pleasant grove playing well vs a rejuvenated Longview Spring Hill who now runs a similar offense. If they win there would be a three way tie with PG, Gilmer, and Spring Hill. Crazy Spring Hill is in the hunt.

Yeah TXK offense is pretty flat. Trail 0-7 at the half. They have been explosive all year averaging almost 44 per game. Luckily they wrapped up District last week so it doesn’t really matter.

PG scores two quick TDs before the Half to go up 42-23
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 10:01 PM, LurkingHorn said:

My father - an LD Bell grad - texted me about this at 11PM last night.  Between that and the Rangers, I think he's in shock.

• Hook 'Em 4

Top games of the week:

Weslaco @ San Benito

Weslaco 27-21 2OT

Chapel Hill @ Kilgore

Kilgore 39-16  Wow!

Prosper @ McKinney

24-12 Prosper

Willis @ Oak Ridge

Willis 42-28 4th

38-17 Bridgeland

Summer Creek-Atascocita

45-28 SC   I watched most of this.  'Cita looks like a college team, but they aren't that good.

Midlo @ Red Oak

21-7 RO

Lovejoy 28-7

G-P @ Flour Bluff

56-21 FB  Holy shit!

31-27 PC

Sulphur Springs @ Anna

30-16 Anna

Jasper @ Silsbee

Silsbee stopped a 2-pt try in OT, 21-20

Ingleside @ Sinton

35-14 Focusness

Harmony @ Daingerfield

26-21 Harmony

35-26 Timpson

Hawley @ Cisco

28-17 Hawley

Refugio @ Ganado

30-7 Refugio

also, 

Harlingen 21 Los Fresnos 17

Fulshear 70 Richmond Foster 17  WTF happened to Foster?  New school open?

SA Pieper 33 Liberty Hill 23

West 69 Dallas Inspired Vision (sic) 6

Pine Tree 19 Texarkana 13 OT

Lampasas 53 Canyon Lake 34

Iowa Colony 49  Needville 45  I think IC is the only undefeated team in 4AD1.

Stephenville 23 Waco LV 14

Hallettsville 29 Yoakum 25

SA YMLA 29 Pearsall 22   Helo's boys avoid Wimberley in round 1!

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 10/30/2023 at 6:31 AM, slorch said:

This is a cool scenario for final week of regular season.  Idalou has clinched and Stanton is out. However,  Abernathy plays Coahoma and Roosevelt plays Littlefield, with each team controlling their own destiny. If Littlefield loses, Abernathy is at worst the  4th seed. If Coahoma loses, Roosevelt is at worst the 4 seed.  4 teams face off, and  3 will advance.

chool Name *W-L *Pct. *PF *PA W-L Pct. PF PA Strk
Idalou 4-0 1.000 155 42 5-4 0.556 254 171 4 W
Abernathy 2-2 0.500 116 84 4-5 0.444 207 197 2 W
Roosevelt 2-2 0.500 86 97 6-3 0.667 244 160 2 L
Littlefield 2-2 0.500 141 129 6-3 0.667 327 252 2 L
Coahoma 2-2 0.500 142 159 5-4 0.556 354 322 2 W
Stanton 0-4 0.000 70 199 1-8 0.111 139 332 8 L

Roosevelt beat Littlefield Thursday night. The Eagles earn the 2 seed.

Abernathy defeated Coahoma Friday night and takes the 3 seed.

Littlefield beat Coahoma head-to-head earlier in the season, so the Wildcats are the 4.

Idalou is solid and could make noise in the POs. The other 3 teams are Jeckyll & Hyde, bigtime.  Could be 'upsett-ish or could get drilled 41-0, either way

Pine Tree secures #4 seed and is rewarded with getting fed to Lovejoy in round 1.

TXK gets a rematch with Terrell who upset them in OT in the first round last year.

Not sure what they were doing last night. Their passing game was totally out of sync but they kept throwing, despite the fact they have two 1000yd rushers.

Davenport, Burnet and Lampasas all finished in a tie for the district title thanks to Burnet’s upset win on the road against Davenport last week. I am guessing it means they all can claim a share of the district title, but for seeding purposes Davenport goes in as the 1 seed. Lampasas gets the 2 seed and Burnet gets the 3 seed. Taylor finishes in 4th and gets Boerne. I believe the win margin gave it to Davenport as each game gets a maximum of 17 points.

1st round games

Davenport-Fredericksburg

Lampasas-Uvalde

Burnet-Somerset (Should be the best bi-district matchup)

Boerne- @Armybrat

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Davenport, Burnet and Lampasas all finished in a tie for the district title thanks to Burnet’s upset win on the road against Davenport last week. I am guessing it means they all can claim a share of the district title, but for seeding purposes Davenport goes in as the 1 seed. Lampasas gets the 2 seed and Burnet gets the 3 seed. Taylor finishes in 4th and gets Boerne. I believe the win margin gave it to Davenport as each game gets a maximum of 17 points.

1st round games

Davenport-Fredericksburg

Lampasas-Uvalde

Boerne- @Armybrat

That should be Mrs. Brat….

9F467318-880B-4845-94B4-4C8A6AB1C1D5.jpeg

CC5DB5E6-A762-413F-974F-0C041A0C4FE8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1st round games
Davenport-Fredericksburg
Lampasas-Uvalde
Boerne- [mention=1205]Armybrat[/mention]

My kids are both Greyhounds, so go Boerne! Had a deep run last year, but lost at Jerry’s place.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1