Super Bowl LVII: Chiefs vs. Eagles

4th&Five

Just now, Reese Bennett said:

It was definitely holding, they made the right call. The only question was it right to basically decide the game, maybe you call it a little looser and let things slide a bit with the Super Bowl on the line.

If they hadn't called it, I would have understood but he was definitely holding.

I think as Big 12 fans we just never see holding ever called so it caught us by surprise.

45 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

POS supporting a POS team.  Karma motherfuckers.
image.thumb.png.16e365a3c672accfde84be0a0799e6b9.png

Oh God Smh GIF

Should probably stick to the bourbon thread 

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

and the whole thing was staged. 

Not sure about that one. The Cowboys one from last week was obvious with the cheap sub $100 little shitty 32 inch tv. 

That looked like a 65"+ which even the cheap ones are still several hundred dollars. A lot of money to waste on a throw away video prank

13 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It was definitely holding, they made the right call. The only question was it right to basically decide the game, maybe you call it a little looser and let things slide a bit with the Super Bowl on the line.

If they hadn't called it, I would have understood but he was definitely holding.

I think as Big 12 fans we just never see holding ever called so it caught us by surprise.

It didn't decide the game. It was just one call of many. If they make the right call on the fumble/TD, the Chiefs would have been up by a TD at that point anyway.

If you don't wanna get called for holding late in the game, then don't hold late in the game. I've never understood the idea that refs should ignore rule infractions during a certain part of the game and not during the rest of it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Somehow I think Hurts fumbling away a TD, the Eagles' defense never stopping the Chiefs in the second half, and their punt return team letting Toney get it down to the 5 was probably what decided the game.  

Game was over before that hold anyway.  Chiefs were always going to run the clock down and kick the FG.  Doubt Butker misses a second FG from anything inside 50.

Also, I think people are more upset about the hold because on the replays you're looking at the defender's left hand being behind Ju-Ju's back which doesn't look like a hold whatsoever.  But it's the right hand on the jersey before that when Ju-Ju was turning which drew the flag.  And it was obviously a hold and obviously the correct call.

Edited by SpiralOut
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The argument that they should not call less blatant penalties at the end of a game is the worst opinion in sports, perhaps second only to an opinion that Oklahoma doesn't suck. The rule book does not say anything about different levels of penalties at the end of a close game, and calling it that way is intentionally rewarding the team that is willing to cheat more.

This is the take my four year old would make. 

There is offensive holding on literally evey play of the game, so unless you are jiggy with 15 hour games ending in a 4-2 score, you will need to re-adjust your rationale. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, SpiralOut said:

Somehow I think Hurts fumbling away a TD, the Eagles' defense never stopping the Chiefs in the second half, and their punt return team letting Toney get it down to the 5 was probably what decided the game.  

Game was over before that hold anyway.  Chiefs were always going to run the clock down and kick the FG.  Doubt Butker misses a second FG from anything inside 50.

This sounds like something my mother would say. Were you even watching?? No hold and KC kicks the FG, but with over a minute left. 

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The argument that they should not call less blatant penalties at the end of a game is the worst opinion in sports, perhaps second only to an opinion that Oklahoma doesn't suck. The rule book does not say anything about different levels of penalties at the end of a close game, and calling it that way is intentionally rewarding the team that is willing to cheat more.

I agree. But they should NEVER call anything that isn't 100 percent egregious from minute 1 of the 1st preseason game to the Super Bowl. These are the best players in the world and they're selling entertainment. Having a small, minor thing that had no outcome on a play being the single deciding factor in a playoff or championship game is the opposite of entertainment. It ruins what could have been a great finish. Just like it did in the AFC title game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Exactly. It's a stupid, lazy, lame argument.

6 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

This sounds like something my mother would say. Were you even watching?? No hold and KC kicks the FG, but with over a minute left. 

It was 3rd down, you're right about that.

Of course, you're wrong about everything else. 

It was a hold.  It kept the receiver from running his route.  Yes, offensive holding could be called on every play.  Those holds aren't anywhere near as impactful as a defender keeping a WR from running his route most of the time.  And most of what the average idiot NFL fan thinks is offensive holding isn't actually offensive holding if you read the fucking rules and listen to refs talk about it.  Of course, you're arguing that the rules shouldn't matter because of "Random Reason I Made Up Because I'm Mad the Chiefs Won."  By your logic I could argue you should never throw a flag in the last X minutes of a game when the score is closer than Y.  Or we should never throw flags on the guys that sell the most jerseys for the NFL.  Hell, you're actually arguing for the games to be scripted like all these mouth breathing conspiracy theorists.

And no one cares about your family members or your weird negative outlook on their opinions, my dude.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I agree. But they should NEVER call anything that isn't 100 percent egregious from minute 1 of the 1st preseason game to the Super Bowl. These are the best players in the world and they're selling entertainment. Having a small, minor thing that had no outcome on a play being the single deciding factor in a playoff or championship game is the opposite of entertainment. It ruins what could have been a great finish. Just like it did in the AFC title game. 

I get this argument. Having the refs insert themselves in a critical moment of a championship game is a downer. As I said if they hadn't called that I would have understood. However, it was a not a bad call. It was holding and they called it correctly by the rules. The Eagles knew it.

So in the history of refball and bad calls I don't think it ranks even in the top 100.

7 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

It was 3rd down, you're right about that.

Of course, you're wrong about everything else. 

It was a hold.  It kept the receiver from running his route.  Yes, offensive holding could be called on every play.  Those holds aren't anywhere near as impactful as a defender keeping a WR from running his route most of the time.  And most of what the average idiot NFL fan thinks is offensive holding isn't actually offensive holding if you read the fucking rules and listen to refs talk about it.  Of course, you're arguing that the rules shouldn't matter because of "Random Reason I Made Up Because I'm Mad the Chiefs Won."  By your logic I could argue you should never throw a flag in the last X minutes of a game when the score is closer than Y.  Or we should never throw flags on the guys that sell the most jerseys for the NFL.  Hell, you're actually arguing for the games to be scripted like all these mouth breathing conspiracy theorists.

And no one cares about your family members or your weird negative outlook on their opinions, my dude.

Stop being butthurt and just admit you were wrong on this one. Nobody is going to be right every single time. 

Also, I am not sure how your conspiracy theory thing fits into your post, but you and your Trump friends just do you. 

Edited by Asu2215
  • Fuck You 3

12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I get this argument. Having the refs insert themselves in a critical moment of a championship game is a downer. As I said if they hadn't called that I would have understood. However, it was a not a bad call. It was holding and they called it correctly by the rules. The Eagles knew it.

So in the history of refball and bad calls I don't think it ranks even in the top 100.

Yep. When a ref calls a penalty near the end of the game, there's always an outcry over the ref 'deciding the outcome' ... but the ref didn't decide the outcome. That's on the penalized player if he did the crime. If he did the crime and the ref didn't penalize him, that would be the ref manipulating the result of the game.

Edited by wood
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

This is the take my four year old would make. 

There is offensive holding on literally evey play of the game, so unless you are jiggy with 15 hour games ending in a 4-2 score, you will need to re-adjust your rationale. 

You're not very bright. They should call holding every time it happens. That wouldn't result in 15 hour games, that would result in less holding. 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You're not very bright. They should call holding every time it happens. That wouldn't result in 15 hour games, that would result in less holding. 

You know what? I think you are actually correct. We would have 1 hour and 40 minute games ending 6-3 becuase no one would attempt a pass. 

- Woody Hayes approved post. 

Jeebus. 

Edited by Asu2215

5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

WTF even have a rule book? This is the opposite of good sense. We’ve all seen games at the high school to pro level that get away from the refs. That’s what happens when you don’t call what you see or decide “a little rule breaking that isn’t bad my opinion is OK.” 

Call every play as you see it. That’s all you can ask from a ref. 

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I had no idea 1 holding penalty could be worth 38 points. Who knew? 🤷‍♂️

It's not about the points given up.

The down and distance was 3rd and 8 and would have been 4th down and a field goal attempt that would have left about 1:20 or so on the clock. It was ticky tacky call at best that directly affected the outcome of the game more so than it should. Until that call it had been well called game IMO. The receivers route wasn't impeded and the ball was no where close to catchable. Mahomes was literally throwing it away at that point.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

I don’t think I have ever been more indifferent while watching the Super Bowl. I still get more emotionally invested watching the old NFL Films Super Bowl shows. That being said. My brother had a very good take before the game.

I don’t have anything against the Eagles but, I don’t want anyone from Philly to enjoy this. I want them to be miserable

Seems reasonable.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

86C0E372-B9EF-4358-9AA7-33C5CC9F0666.jpeg

That was a strange halftime performance.

My nephew remarked that the dancers in white looked like they were Chinese workers in Wuhan trying to fight the plague. Rihanna is nice to look at but, I don’t care much for her music. It just seemed too weak for such a large venue. But, that’s the kind of show the NFL wants.

Me, I’d go for a really good marching band from a HBCU.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It's not about the points given up.

The down and distance was 3rd and 8 and would have been 4th down and a field goal attempt that would have left about 1:20 or so on the clock. It was ticky tacky call at best that directly affected the outcome of the game more so than it should. Until that call it had been well called game IMO. The receivers route wasn't impeded and the ball was no where close to catchable. Mahomes was literally throwing it away at that point.

What are you talking about? It was clearly a hold. The defender pulled on JUJU’s jersey. The defender ADMITTED he held him. It was blatant. 

and anyone crying about the refs when their team had a grand total of 6 penalties called is really reaching.

and fuck the Eagles.

Edited by lilMAC25

7 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

That fucking Tubi commercial was trippin 

Our drunk asses were all yelling, "Get off the remote.  Who the fuck changed the channel?"

dummies.  They got us.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Had no affect on his route. That happens on every play as well just about.

LOLz.  Yeah, that overthrow happens all the fucking time.  You're seeing what you want to see.  You're posting that holding  didn't really happen, and now that it didn't change the route.

You're wrong on both accounts.

Edited by slorch

Just now, slorch said:

LOLz.  Yeah, that overthrow happens all the fucking time.

It does...hell Quinn does that shit when the route isn't there. That was right at the break of the whip. The ball was overthrown by 10+ yards. That isn't making JuJu cover 10 more yards

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It does...hell Quinn does that shit when the route isn't there. That was right at the break of the whip. The ball was overthrown by 10+ yards. That isn't making JuJu cover 10 more yards

The overthrow doesn't matter in the case of a HOLDING call.  If they were calling pass interference, then you could call the ball uncatchable.

• Hook 'Em 2