Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

49 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Speaking of bigs

Is he grad transferring?

Makes no sense to give up a UVA degree when you have two years of eligibility remaining. (#covid)

At a listed 6’11”, even if he’s lying he’s mostly likely 6’9”. 

Yes Please!

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’d take shedrick and abmas for sure. I wonder if Hunter portals after his draft workouts.

Portal closes May 11th, and the NBA combine is a few days later. Not sure if he even has a combine invite, and I don’t know when his workouts would be relative to the combine. If Abmas wants in you just gotta take him and see what happens. I might be more confident that Tyrese comes back than I am Arterio.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Dude had 0 points, O rebounds, 0 blocks, 0 assists, 0 fouls in 12 minutes against us in the tourney. Small data point to be sure, but I’d be surprised if there’s too much interest on our part. Maybe he really showed something in the pregame shoot around. Or perhaps it was his 0 turnovers against us that caught someone’s eye.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Dude had 0 points, O rebounds, 0 blocks, 0 assists, 0 fouls in 12 minutes against us in the tourney. Small data point to be sure, but I’d be surprised if there’s too much interest on our part. Maybe he really showed something in the pregame shoot around. Or perhaps it was his 0 turnovers against us that caught someone’s eye.

Gerry has said Texas might add 2 bigs in addition to Disu returning. 

People have to remember that if you are going to find a 3rd big it's not going to be somebody insanely good because nobody that's a top tier big wants to play that role. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Here's his brother's stats at SMU:

Mo Njie

MoNjie

SMU Mustangs
  • Class
    Sophomore
  • HT/WT
    6' 10", 245 lbs
  • Birthplace
    Centerville, OH

2022-23 season stats

• PTS
    150+
  • REB
    150+
  • AST
    150+
  • FG%

4 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Well this sucks. Looks like RT is having a hard time keeping this team intact with Morris in the portal, Mitchell not sure about his future, Rowan transferring, Hunter looking at the NBA, and may transfer again (just a thought). He better hope Disu comes back and he lands some portal studs, cause Holland is a 1 year rental. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Well this sucks. Looks like RT is having a hard time keeping this team intact with Morris in the portal, Mitchell not sure about his future, Rowan transferring, Hunter looking at the NBA, and may transfer again (just a thought). He better hope Disu comes back and he lands some portal studs, cause Holland is a 1 year rental. 

1. Hunter has told Texas he will return if he doesn’t get the NBA feedback he wants

2. They don’t hand out waivers like candy anymore for second transfers 

3. Considering there were only like 6 or 7 scholarship players with eligibility even remaining at the end of the year, yeah, it was always going to be a stretch to retain all those guys. We knew for months now that Mitchel was probably going to at minimum test the draft waters and that Morris was probably a coin flip to come back for a second season. And quite frankly, we probably didn’t want to have every single scholarship guy return because we need room to bring in transfers and fit the pieces of the puzzle together with the incoming freshman. It goes deeper than just checking boxes of bodies at positions. Have to have complementary skill sets across the roster to build a competitive team.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

15 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

1. Hunter has told Texas he will return if he doesn’t get the NBA feedback he wants

2. They don’t hand out waivers like candy anymore for second transfers 

3. Considering there were only like 6 or 7 scholarship players with eligibility even remaining at the end of the year, yeah, it was always going to be a stretch to retain all those guys. We knew for months now that Mitchel was probably going to at minimum test the draft waters and that Morris was probably a coin flip to come back for a second season. And quite frankly, we probably didn’t want to have every single scholarship guy return because we need room to bring in transfers and fit the pieces of the puzzle together with the incoming freshman. It goes deeper than just checking boxes of bodies at positions. Have to have complementary skill sets across the roster to build a competitive team.

Is there a reason, in your opinion, that Morris wants to transfer out? Did he not gel or was he overrated, or what's the deal do you think?

16 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Is there a reason, in your opinion, that Morris wants to transfer out? Did he not gel or was he overrated, or what's the deal do you think?

People around him were unhappy with his minutes and telling him he could play more elsewhere.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

He still has a DV charge that's going to trial and the coach that let that slide is no longer the coach and anyone is kidding themselves if they don't think that's a factor

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

In my opinion, him and his circle have an opinion of the type of player he is and what role he should have on a team, and that opinion did not match up with what Texas was offering or willing to do. He probably thought he should have played more this past year despite the fact he was the 4th guard behind Rice, Carr and Hunter.

I have no evidence of this, but it also wouldn't shock me at all if he was mad that Texas has been linked to so many guards in the portal. From what has been revealed and said, it sounds like the dude is high maintenance and despite his potential and ability to be a good player in a year or two, he did not come close to playing at a level this past year to warrant us bending over backwards for him.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Teryor said:

He still has a DV charge that's going to trial and the coach that let that slide is no longer the coach and anyone is kidding themselves if they don't think that's a factor

Oh shit, I forgot about the DV charge. Didn't know it was going to trial, as I thought it would be dropped because "he's an athlete at a premiere school". When I saw him on the court he didn't really stand out, tbh. I did see him do some good things, but yeah, he didn't really do much with what he was given. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

In my opinion, him and his circle have an opinion of the type of player he is and what role he should have on a team, and that opinion did not match up with what Texas was offering or willing to do. He probably thought he should have played more this past year despite the fact he was the 4th guard behind Rice, Carr and Hunter.

I have no evidence of this, but it also wouldn't shock me at all if he was mad that Texas has been linked to so many guards in the portal. From what has been revealed and said, it sounds like the dude is high maintenance and despite his potential and ability to be a good player in a year or two, he did not come close to playing at a level this past year to warrant us bending over backwards for him.

As I said to another poster, when I saw him he didn't really stand out. I saw him do some good things, but he didn't really assert himself to take a bigger role. It's like he thought he was just going to be given minutes because "I'm a former 5* hs all-American". I'd much rather have Mitchell and Hunter back, get some good transfer guards, a big man to go with Disu, and go from there. 

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

As I said to another poster, when I saw him he didn't really stand out. I saw him do some good things, but he didn't really assert himself to take a bigger role. It's like he thought he was just going to be given minutes because "I'm a former 5* hs all-American". I'd much rather have Mitchell and Hunter back, get some good transfer guards, a big man to go with Disu, and go from there. 

Disagree -- Morris played great defense throughout the year. His shooting was inconsistent but he had a good overall impact on the team and seemed poised for far more minutes next year. Perhaps chemistry, coaching change, DV charge all played a role. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I have no evidence of this, but it also wouldn't shock me at all if he was mad that Texas has been linked to so many guards in the portal.

The coaches don't know if a guy is coming back or not, so they explore who else is out there at his position. The player then gets annoyed that the coaches are looking at guys who might replace him, so he leaves. Sounds about right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Disagree -- Morris played great defense throughout the year. His shooting was inconsistent but he had a good overall impact on the team and seemed poised for far more minutes next year. Perhaps chemistry, coaching change, DV charge all played a role. 

You're right, I was talking about his offense and I should have said so. His defense was good. He could have had a starting role (maybe), but his loss sucks. DV is definitely an issue and we don't need that shit on our team, no matter how good of a player he is. 

Like you said, maybe it was chemistry, maybe he was a Beard guy, DV had something to do with it, we'll just never know until he comes out and says it. Gerry said he doesn't expect Texas to re-recruit him # so take that fwiw, but he also said things can change. Maybe AJ comes in and dominates and we forget all about it. I just hope Hunter and Mitchell come back along with Disu. Add Holland to that group and some transfers and we could make another run. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You're right, I was talking about his offense and I should have said so. His defense was good. He could have had a starting role (maybe), but his loss sucks. DV is definitely an issue and we don't need that shit on our team, no matter how good of a player he is. 

Like you said, maybe it was chemistry, maybe he was a Beard guy, DV had something to do with it, we'll just never know until he comes out and says it. Gerry said he doesn't expect Texas to re-recruit him # so take that fwiw, but he also said things can change. Maybe AJ comes in and dominates and we forget all about it. I just hope Hunter and Mitchell come back along with Disu. Add Holland to that group and some transfers and we could make another run. 

Beard didn't play him either, so it was more of a he wasn't ready to play major minutes at a P6 conference school. He was behind 3 guards that were experienced. He likely never bought into his role on the team, or improved himself throughout the year and apparently has people talking in his ear about how he's too good to work for his spot.

His current attitude doesn't portend being a good player at a high-level school, which is why he's not a loss to Texas. We will probably never see the good version of Morris in college.

• Like 1

On the one hand I thought Morris would get the minutes he wanted because the pathway was there.  But the DV charge apparently is not going away, so you have to factor that into things from the coach perspective.  I think that Terry wants to build a team that is a family, and having part of the family facing a DV charge isn't the best advertisement for your "family values" that I think makes Terry attractive to recruits.  Now you can always sell "second chance" love in justifying keeping a kid like Morris who I also believed had significant upside.  But if that same kid who may embarrass the team, also has an attitude problem about not being able to push out Carr and Hunter for more minutes? That's a head case for me as a coach.  Now I do not know this to be true, but I also don't think it's too big a stretch to think that Terry may not be crying over the loss as we might expect.

I would expect that Beard would go after Morris, if for not other reason that to try and show he can take a Texas kid away.  It's what I would do if I were Beard if just for the news cycle publicity.  

I honestly never want to lose a kid, and I am praying Hunter comes back because the second half of the season he finally started getting his Freshman year mojo back.  Terry may know more about the NBA feedback and projections than any of us.  I would expect UT to have a fairly good evaluation of this for any of our players that are potential NBA level prospects.  So Terry may already have Hunter penciled in as returning.  I am praying again and again for Disu to return and put on the pounds that I think will give him a prosperous and longer NBA career.  I also can't cay that I am not a little nervous right now about our recruiting because there are so many moving parts.  The good news is we are all going to get a pretty good idea of Terry's recruiting prowess or the lack thereof shortly.   So hopefully we will all be backslapping exclaiming our praise, but you can't help but be a little nervous until all the ink dries.

9 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Terry may know more about the NBA feedback and projections than any of us.

It isn't hard to sus out Hunter's NBA feedback. He's a very good athlete with true point guard ability on the ball but he's undersized, an average shooter, has average BBIQ and has a questionable motor on defense at times. Best case scenario for him he goes late 2nd round in 2023 - much more likely than that he'd be an UDFA and wind up either on the bench for a G League team or overseas. 

I have no idea why he wouldn't return, and I'm frankly not that concerned about him leaving. I guess he could probably get a waiver and transfer if he wanted to. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Beard didn't play him either, so it was more of a he wasn't ready to play major minutes at a P6 conference school. He was behind 3 guards that were experienced. He likely never bought into his role on the team, or improved himself throughout the year and apparently has people talking in his ear about how he's too good to work for his spot.

His current attitude doesn't portend being a good player at a high-level school, which is why he's not a loss to Texas. We will probably never see the good version of Morris in college.

Morris played well against Miami in the first half, and then Terry basically didn't play him in the 2nd. I honestly think he should have had more minutes by the end of the year. 

• Hook 'Em 5

25 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Morris played well against Miami in the first half, and then Terry basically didn't play him in the 2nd. I honestly think he should have had more minutes by the end of the year. 

Especially with Carr and Rice dinged in the 2nd half of that game.  

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I have never read one of these full write-ups from players. I always just go to the last sentence if I care to look at all. Who in the fuck is reading this stuff and who is advising them to write all of this shit? Just post your two sentences and fuck off. 

Leaving for the NBA? ChatGPT got you covered.

Spoiler

Today marks a bittersweet moment as I announce my departure from @UTAustin to pursue my dream of playing in the @NBA. I want to express my deepest gratitude to everyone who has been a part of my journey as a Longhorn. First and foremost, I'd like to thank my coaches, starting with the legendary @CoachBeardTTU who recruited me to UT and instilled in me a winning mentality. Thanks also to @CoachSampsonUH, @Coach_KHolland, and the entire coaching staff for pushing me to be my best and guiding me through the ups and downs of college basketball.

To my teammates, thank you for being my brothers on and off the court. It's been an honor to play alongside each and every one of you, and I'm grateful for the memories we've made together. I'll never forget the way we battled together and the friendships we've formed.

Of course, none of this would be possible without the unwavering support of the Longhorn community. To the fans who filled the stands and cheered us on, thank you for being the backbone of this program. Your passion and energy fueled us through every game, and I'll always be proud to have been a part of this incredible community.

Lastly, I want to give a special shoutout to the basketball personnel who have helped me develop into the player I am today. Thanks to the trainers who worked tirelessly to keep us healthy and in peak condition, the equipment managers who made sure we had everything we needed, and the video staff who spent countless hours breaking down film and helping us improve our game. You all played an integral role in my development and I'm grateful for your hard work and dedication.

As I embark on the next chapter of my basketball career, I'll carry the lessons and experiences I've gained at UT with me. Thank you again to everyone who has supported me along the way. Hook 'em forever. 🤘🏀 #ThankYou #NextChapter #NBABound"

ScreenShot2023-04-12at8_50_21PM.thumb.png.31a94f02a8013d0b8a4a90fbce4bb69f.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1