NFL 2023 Offseason

Vic Mackey

17 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Brady will be worse. 

Olsen isn't terrible. I mean, most of these announcers add no real value for me. There isn't a ton of insight they add. They aren't breaking down plays in depth as they don't have time. Most of what they is generic. What is terrible is guys like Romo who make it all about them and are so over the top. I guess the networks see the big names and want them signed right away with zero experience and see how it goes. This is what they did with Romo. And I get it, he's Brady.He's not going to start off doing B level games. I just hope he doesn't rely on schtick like Romo.

20 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
22 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:
I just don’t see Young being a long term solution as a NFL QB.

Agreed. I see him and Fields as the same QB.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

15 hours ago, Ignatius said:

What did you guys think of Jalen Hurts’ prospects as an NFL QB 2 years ago?

Hurts was a late second round pick going to a team that just came off a Super Bowl win. In year 3 he played well, maybe at his ceiling. Running the ball is still a big part of his game, and that skill doesn’t last forever. 

Young is a good passer, but not built to run and be hit in the NFL. I bet he’ll win a bunch of exciting games and make some ESPN highlights. I wouldn’t bet on his week-to-week availability if I was picking him #1 (or trading multiple firsts to get him). And that assumes his passing game will translate to the NFL given his “6 foot” height. The list of sub 6 foot QBs after Brees and Wilson is short. 

What did you guys think of Jalen Hurts’ prospects as an NFL QB 2 years ago?
Hurts is in a very great situation. Surrounded by the best OL in football. Great running game. They went and got him AJ Brown. Has Davante Smith. Dallas Goddert at TE. A defense that was top 10. Going to guess Bryce Young isn't going to this kind of situation if he's drafted that high. Is he good enough to overcome a shitty situation? Doubt it. I don't think Hurts was either. He got fortunate they put a great team around him to hide his weaknesses.

331135678_753711049655359_5013697325749695375_n.png?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=3faXgeq7PKcAX-VIDQ5&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=00_AfAdH6b-iYIBtQnRYxJVKvKPqtUQwfeboQjoPTh2eaOw5w&oe=63F28072

So are any of these guys the next Peyton, Herbert, or Luck? The odds are none of them will be a long term productive starter, most likely a Daniel Jones at best.

The same pattern: prospect gets drafted to shitty team with no O line and likely shitty qb coach. Gets beat to hell, doesn’t figure it out, career backup or coaching high school in four years.

Build your o line first. Then get a qb.
  • Like 2

So are any of these guys the next Peyton, Herbert, or Luck? The odds are none of them will be a long term productive starter, most likely a Daniel Jones at best.

The same pattern: prospect gets drafted to shitty team with no O line and likely shitty qb coach. Gets beat to hell, doesn’t figure it out, career backup or coaching high school in four years.

Build your o line first. Then get a qb.

It’s an odd group. Two guys that really didn’t do much. One guy that may be limited because of his system and competition (in the sense that his team dominated). One guy who doesn’t have the greatest physical tools but has accomplished the most.

You build the lines then go from the there.

I’m curious to see the Daboll influence play out. Jones had his best year. Allen stepped back as his turnovers were more of a negative. If those trends continue, maybe it’s his influence.

I think Daboll could be a scary good coach. None of my Giant friends want to keep Jones, they are split on Saquon.

Eagles needed to win this year as they lost both coordinators, have to figure out Hurts contract, and will likely lose some of their top FA’s. And that pushing rule might get killed.

• Like 1

I don’t get into the contracts that many of you do but generally there’s a right price for keeping most any QB.

The Giants have been poor upfront on the Oline for some time. Add in Daboll and I think Jones is a legit option. I’d take him over any rookie QB and many current NFLers. But you could overpay too. If I were the Giants I’d be more inclined to let Saquon go. It’s not like the Giants WR room was consistent. If Daboll wants Jones, that’d be my indicator. I do think with system stability and good coaching he can be very solid for the foreseeable future.

This Greg Olsen deal is ridiculous.

Olsen's making 10 mil a year right now.  When Brady comes aboard, Olsen drops to the #2 team and his salary goes down to 3 million.  Tom Brady's salary will be....  37.5 million.

And I don't see a universe in which Brady will be near as good as Olsen at this job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Olsen's making 10 mil a year right now.  When Brady comes aboard, Olsen drops to the #2 team and his salary goes down to 3 million.  Tom Brady's salary will be....  37.5 million.

And I don't see a universe in which Brady will be near as good as Olsen at this job.

I don't understand the universe where their job is worth 10 mil a year much less 37.5, but I am living in it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't understand the universe where their job is worth 10 mil a year much less 37.5, but I am living in it.

One can only assume they believe the broadcasters are responsible for a huge chunk of the viewership that drives ad sales, therefore they get a big cut.

I don’t really give a shit that a guy getting $37mil to work 18 or so games a year is going to cut a guy doing the same thing from $10mil to $3mil. $3mil a year. To do something I pay no attention to as for determining whether I watch a game or not. As much as I liked Michael’s and Madden or Summerall I never tuned because of announcers. I don’t get the appeal of Brady as a broadcaster.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Augustus said:

One can only assume they believe the broadcasters are responsible for a huge chunk of the viewership that drives ad sales, therefore they get a big cut.

I know why they justify it, but I have never tuned in or out based on the announcers.  I don't think I'm in the minority either.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I know why they justify it, but I have never tuned in or out based on the announcers.  I don't think I'm in the minority either.  

Fucking this.

If i could mute the fucking broadcasters while keeping ambient stadium sound, I would every gotdam time.

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, Augustus said:

If I'm Olsen, I feel some type of way about getting booted down and taking a big ass pay cut. I actually thought he was pretty good. I take my $20M and tell Fox to kiss my ass.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

If I'm Olsen, I feel some type of way about getting booted down and taking a big ass pay cut. I actually thought he was pretty good. I take my $20M and tell Fox to kiss my ass.

Olsen sucks.

They all do though...

You could get the same results for $50 and all the Yuenglings a guy could drink.

Olsen was signed to a contract and was given a shot when Troy/Buck moved on. I believe he got the interim slot after fox had signed Brady to his post career contract. He got a pay bump for doing the same job. Cooper Rush didn’t get a raise for actually playing.

22 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I don’t get into the contracts that many of you do but generally there’s a right price for keeping most any QB.

The Giants have been poor upfront on the Oline for some time. Add in Daboll and I think Jones is a legit option. I’d take him over any rookie QB and many current NFLers. But you could overpay too. If I were the Giants I’d be more inclined to let Saquon go. It’s not like the Giants WR room was consistent. If Daboll wants Jones, that’d be my indicator. I do think with system stability and good coaching he can be very solid for the foreseeable future.

Not a Daniel Jones apologist but other than saquon that is a very bad offensive roster

Giants are going nowhere with Daniel Jones. Their ceiling is what they did this year. Wild card spot and hope you get a very favorable matchup to win. Then get exposed and ran off the field by a good team after that. They won a ton of close games this year. The same as the Vikings. Giants whole strategy was to hang on for dear life every game. Not a long term strategy for success. Giants will still be behind Dallas and Philly in the East with him at QB.

Giants are going nowhere with Daniel Jones. Their ceiling is what they did this year. Wild card spot and hope you get a very favorable matchup to win. Then get exposed and ran off the field by a good team after that. They won a ton of close games this year. The same as the Vikings. Giants whole strategy was to hang on for dear life every game. Not a long term strategy for success. Giants will still be behind Dallas and Philly in the East with him at QB.

Do I think he’s winning a Super Bowl? No, but you get to the final 4 in the conference in year 1 with your new coach and coming out of a tough division, then that’s good progression.

Jones has weathered the early years storm that many don’t. Poor play, coaching all around him. He’s a very capable runner. His arm is strong enough. He’s a smart dude. This may have been his first year that was conducive for success.

I suspect they’ll be behind Dallas and the Eagles, but that depends on building out the roster. Washington has some talent too. There will be no divisional gimme games for the Giants.

We shall see. Ultimately he needs to not chase the biggest contract but find who’ll build that roster around him. And if you’re a QB, Daboll has to be one of your top choices.

On 2/17/2023 at 4:13 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

I literally watch the sky cam feed with no announcers every time it's available to feel like I'm at a game rather then listen to dumbass announcers.

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'll never understand how you justify paying a guy in a booth calling the game more than players who are actually playing in the game. It's bullshit.

I completely agree with everyone in that I've never remotely considered watching/not watching a game because of who's in the booth--though I have wished on numerous occasions that it wasn't Beth Mowins.

But as for their compensation, you're basically arguing to let the networks keep more of the money if you pay them less, which is no big deal to me either way,  but if they can get a gig like that and make millions, more power to them.

• Like 1

Why would be take a lateral move?
Significant pay increase for one. I'm also guessing he knows he won't be taken serious under Reid since that is Reid's offense and he calls plays a lot.

But going to Washington under the Snyder regime isn't the best of ideas. Not sure they even have a QB worth a damn. Going to be tough sledding to have success there.

5 hours ago, Augustus said:

I completely agree with everyone in that I've never remotely considered watching/not watching a game because of who's in the booth--though I have wished on numerous occasions that it wasn't Beth Mowins.

But as for their compensation, you're basically arguing to let the networks keep more of the money if you pay them less, which is no big deal to me either way,  but if they can get a gig like that and make millions, more power to them.

Sure, I don’t care how they allocate the money, I just don’t understand how they value these guys like they do. As everyone has said, it’s not like people are going to make the watch/don’t watch decision based on who is calling games. The product sells itself.

Not saying there isn’t value there - they must have some rationale for giving Romo and Brady all that money - just saying I don’t get how they provide that much value. Add it to the really long list of things I don’t get.