People acting like whiny old people

texasdago

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It all comes down to most selfishly wanting things to be for them. Music, movies, culture, whatever. "didn't like Rihanna's halftime? No one cares since you were not the key audience."

Rock music has absolutely diminished in attention over the last 20-25 years but could it also be that rock fans are not going to shows. And I don't mean the $300 Bruce Springsteen limited tour but rather local acts for $10 on a Wednesday night.

Well, pop always has and always will suck. Life is around the fringes.

41 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I hear a *lot* of the "there's no good music anymore" from people my age group (mid-40s). Usually these are people who were big grunge fans in high school and are waiting for the next Pearl Jam.

First off all, lol.  Secondly, I always tell these people that this is literally the greatest time ever for music because you have access to an infinite catalog of new (or old) music and can explore everything on your own without being told what's good by FM radio or MTV. 

If they insist that they've scoured all of those resources and they still can't find anything good, I just tell them that they're old. Then they get pissed off.

Yeah, I don't get this either.  With Spotify you literally have access to E V E R Y T H I N G (just about)... and when you find something you like, the app can help you find similar music so you can go in to something like ACL and not yell, "Who are these bands!?" but actually find plenty to enjoy.  That's what I like about the lineup release... I print it out and start searching and you find some great bands.  Some of my favorite shows from this past ACL... Wet Leg, Kevin Morby, Goth Babe, Nation of Language... yeah, even Oliver Tree... were not on my radar two years ago. 

So, yeah... they're "old" because its not that there isn't any good music... there just isn't any good music that they specifically like.  Besides, in a town like Austin, you can always catch a show by a band you used to like... The Fixx was earlier this year, Psychedelic Furs in May, Ministry/Gary Numan/Front Line Assembly in April... (speaking to my tastes here)

"And I don't mean the $300 Bruce Springsteen limited tour but rather local acts for $10 on a Wednesday night." - I'm hitting up the HITW next week... Antone's still easy to see a show for $25... Far Out Lounge usually $20 and under.

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1

I admittedly do not seek out as much new music as I used to. Besides being old and lazy, a big reason is that services like Spotify or youtube music knows what I like. I have a lifetime of older music that I want to hear again, and I'm willing to let some new music seep in too. 

I don't even know what local radio even plays outside of assumptions. 90% of the time I stream via my phone and the remainder is satellite radio. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

I've started noticing more and more friends becoming a bunch of old farts (male and female)... 

"Waaaah... there's no good live music anymore"

"Waaah... these bands suck"

"Waaaah... the Super Bowl commercials aren't funny anymore"

"Did you see Rihanna grab her cootchie?  Won't anyone think of the children?"

"Boo hoo... Austin was so much better in 197x, 198x, 199x, 200x, etc. etc. (saw someone say four years ago)"

Uggggggghhhh... bunch of people yelling at clouds.  That's no way to go through life.  Snap out of it.  Enjoy life already.  Bunch of fogeys... WTF.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Three thoughts:

1) Super Bowl commercials aren’t funny.
2) I don’t want to explain to my 10-yo daughter what that idiot was doing. And I had to. And I’d give Rihanna the most intense 3 seconds of her life. 
3) Austin was better when I lived there from ‘89-‘96. I used to want to end up there but wouldn’t now if you paid me.  

Edited by Porterhouse

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't even know what local radio even plays outside of assumptions. 90% of the time I stream via my phone and the remainder is satellite radio. 

AltNation and XMU are really good for this (depending on what music you like).  KUTX, Sun Radio and ACL Radio are a good way to hear some new stuff, too.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

During one of the NFL conference championship games, one of those “don’t turn into your parents” commercials played. Normally they’re very funny to me. During this one I noticed that I do two or three of the things mentioned. Fuck me. Ruined my evening. 

Do you put your name on trash cans or say “Bonjour!” to strangers with Paris t-shirts in elevators?  

In the 80s, my friends and I went to concerts by some "legacy" acts from the 60s-early 70s, because we liked the music (listened to a lot of Classic Rock on the radio....but also listened to plenty of our contemporary bands as well).  We commented at the time about how there was a whole concert market for bands "from back in my day!", and how we'd be surrounded by potbellied, pot-smoking boomers at these concerts.

Signed, a dude who has tickets to see both Duran Duran and Madonna in concert this year.

Another related sure-fire sign that you are of the aged demographic: you walk through the grocery store singing along to every tune, because they're practically playing your playlist.  I told a friend about that phenomenon, and then bumped into him at the grocery store as A-Ha was playing - he pointed at the ceiling speakers and said "I hate you for telling me that, now I feel old every goddamned time I shop."

El-Arroyo-AQUILA-Commercial-12.20.2022.j

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Considering how divisive things have gotten in this country, I intend to teach my son this lesson, and I remind myself every now and then, since it's going to be good for me moving forward (I'm 43):

"Change is a natural part of life. Change is always going to happen, and a lot of times it's going to happen in ways that you don't like. You might even hate. And it's going to be ok, because you have to understand that during the course of your life, everything you know will change several times. Our job is to make sure we move past things a find ways for ourselves and loved ones to find happiness despite change."

image.gif.749d4767b77fbbceb1a526092e664883.gif

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Signed, a dude who has tickets to see both Duran Duran and Madonna in concert this year.

Another related sure-fire sign that you are of the aged demographic: you walk through the grocery store singing along to every tune, because they're practically playing your playlist.  I told a friend about that phenomenon, and then bumped into him at the grocery store as A-Ha was playing - he pointed at the ceiling speakers and said "I hate you for telling me that, now I feel old every goddamned time I shop."

I don't worry about this being a sign of age, I just view it as them being clever enough to create a playlist that caters to awesome people. Like me.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I don't worry about this being a sign of age, I just view it as them being clever enough to create a playlist that caters to awesome people. Like me.

For real... I mean, I was at Trader Joe's once and they plated "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash.  Same store, different visit, "Love Removal Machine" by The Cult.  That only means that store is kickass.  

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, texashorne said:

The other day I chased down a teenager for speeding through the neighborhood in his car and yelled at him. 

Good for you. I have thrown footballs and tennis balls at speeding teenagers. Always makes me feel bettee

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's the natural cycle of getting older. It's also why old people tend to get more conservative. Our brains are hard-wired to hate and reject change.

That being said, TexasDago totally thumbing through an article in some men's mag about style over 60. You can take your bedazzled and skinny jeans over his dead body, sirs.

The Guide to New, Stylish Men's Jeans for Guys Over 50

Saw him at Hoover's once eating lunch and he looked like a fucking Abercombie and Fitch mannequin with a Justin Beiber haircut.  Then I was taking a piss in the bathroom and he sidled up next to me to piss as well, even though the stall was open and the urinals are super close together with minimal barrier.  Weirdo.

30 minutes ago, texasdago said:

AltNation and XMU are really good for this (depending on what music you like).  KUTX, Sun Radio and ACL Radio are a good way to hear some new stuff, too.  

yeah...there is a TON of awesome new music out there. every time we take a road trip i pick up two or three new songs off AltNation that i turn around and d/l when we get home. plus my 21 yoa niece has similar tastes in music and she'll send me new stuff she knows i will like. of all the things about getting old, complaining about music is the least of my issues.

HOWEVER...that doesn't apply to all genres...modern day hiphop/mumble rap is shit compared to the GOATs from the 1990s. 

re: hangovers - my problem nowadays is i start drinking, get drunk really fast, stop drinking, sober up some, and have a hangover...all in like a 3 hour timespan!! i mean wtf!

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Saw him at Hoover's once eating lunch and he looked like a fucking Abercombie and Fitch mannequin with a Justin Beiber haircut.  Then I was taking a piss in the bathroom and he sidled up next to me to piss as well, even though the stall was open and the urinals are super close together with minimal barrier.  Weirdo.

Saw him at Matt’s with his ex-wife, who is smoking hot in person. He seemed totally uncomfortable and like he’d be a mass shooting candidate. 

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

The hangovers hurt more than they used to

I think this is misinformed. Hangovers have always hurt.. But back when we were young, we could sleep them off until 12, 1... whatever it takes.. Now we have to be up at 630 to deal with kids and you have to live through it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I admittedly do not seek out as much new music as I used to. Besides being old and lazy, a big reason is that services like Spotify or youtube music knows what I like. I have a lifetime of older music that I want to hear again, and I'm willing to let some new music seep in too. 

I quit listening to pop music when the Beatles broke up.

However, I did “discover” Queen about the time the Pandemic was starting to crank up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Admit it, you two had a moment, right? 

SilverWelltodoChimpanzee-size_restricted.gif.a391961fab2418d32ddad176cfa9d4ab.gif

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Saw him at Matt’s with his ex-wife, who is smoking hot in person. He seemed totally uncomfortable and like he’d be a mass shooting candidate. 

He’s still pissed Randy got the gig in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation AND Independence Day. 

55 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I think this is misinformed. Hangovers have always hurt.. But back when we were young, we could sleep them off until 12, 1... whatever it takes.. Now we have to be up at 630 to deal with kids and you have to live through it. 

It isn’t misinformed at all. At 30, hangovers hurt more. I’m 44, and when I get blasted on a Friday, if I can sleep in, I’ll sleep until 12 or 1. And then will proceed to not shit right until the following Wednesday. Because I’m fucking old. 

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, I don't get this either.  With Spotify you literally have access to E V E R Y T H I N G (just about)... and when you find something you like, the app can help you find similar music so you can go in to something like ACL and not yell, "Who are these bands!?" but actually find plenty to enjoy.  That's what I like about the lineup release... I print it out and start searching and you find some great bands.  Some of my favorite shows from this past ACL... Wet Leg, Kevin Morby, Goth Babe, Nation of Language... yeah, even Oliver Tree... were not on my radar two years ago. 

So, yeah... they're "old" because its not that there isn't any good music... there just isn't any good music that they specifically like.  Besides, in a town like Austin, you can always catch a show by a band you used to like... The Fixx was earlier this year, Psychedelic Furs in May, Ministry/Gary Numan/Front Line Assembly in April... (speaking to my tastes here)

"And I don't mean the $300 Bruce Springsteen limited tour but rather local acts for $10 on a Wednesday night." - I'm hitting up the HITW next week... Antone's still easy to see a show for $25... Far Out Lounge usually $20 and under.

image.jpeg.ad698d4d6baac9ca188e63919fff4de4.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It all comes down to most selfishly wanting things to be for them. Music, movies, culture, whatever. "didn't like Rihanna's halftime? No one cares since you were not the key audience."

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

The amount of rage people have when some form of media isn’t made directly for their enjoyment because they feel they are the target audience. 

Well you aren’t. Sit down and shut up and let other people enjoy it 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The amount of rage people have when some form of media isn’t made directly for their enjoyment because they feel they are the target audience. 

I never get worked up about halftime shows or new music these days. I don’t give a fuck at all. I actually like Rihanna’s music. I just prefer to not have had to explain why she grabbed her crotch and smelled her fingers. It was fucking needless and disgusting. And the girls asking questions or girls embarrassed by it are exactly her target. Pathetic. 

8 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I never get worked up about halftime shows or new music these days. I don’t give a fuck at all. I actually like Rihanna’s music. I just prefer to not have had to explain why she grabbed her crotch and smelled her fingers. It was fucking needless and disgusting. And the girls asking questions or girls embarrassed by it are exactly her target. Pathetic. 

...as you proceed to get worked up over a halftime show all over this thread. 

Yeah, freedom of speech and expression is fucking pathetic. Man, did you get the vapors and faint when Janet Jackson had her "wardrobe malfunction?" I bet you really got bent out of shape 25-30 years ago when Madonna grabbed her crotch in a music video. Or when "Touch Myself" was a popular song blared over every pop radio station and had the audacity to be sung by a woman. I hope you're policing your daughter's Instagram and don't let her watch anything with a Kardashian on it. You know, everything would be a lot better if we'd just go back to the time when women had to wear dresses to their ankles and certainly couldn't express any of their own personal sexuality. 

It's almost like change is inevitable, and it's going to make olds uncomfortable. In related news, have you considered the benefits of a lifestyle in Iran? There's a little upheaval going on right now, but I'm sure that will pass soon enough and then you might not have to answer questions that make you uncomfortable to your daughter who is about to be a teenager. I mean, I doubt they could even watch the Super Bowl over there. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

You must not have done a general surgery internship and Ortho residency before work hour limits

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

Here's the winning response.  Yeah... no doubt I swear I see some people becoming old slovenly fatasses with grumpy opinions on just about anything/everything.  Its the same people who shake their fist at God when the ACL line-up because some 90s band isn't in the lineup.  I just haven't gone down that path... I try to stay an optimist so that's why some of the bitching just grates me but, yeah, I should just let those people wallow in their misery and go on with my life.  Its a different way to say, "I don't care what you think"

Where do I start the thread of minivans and Crocs?

There are some Facebook pages worth going to.  I frequent this one to make me feel better about my life choices.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/826434424401213/

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This.  My wife and I have noticed over the past few years, if we have SNL on, when they say "and musical guest, [whoever]!", more often than not, we look at each other and ask "who?"  But we don't give a shit, because we know that 30+ years ago, our parents would have said the exact same thing when Nirvana or U2 was the musical act.  

That said, we'll also usually listen to the act.  Sometimes, we really like it, and find out about a new (to us) act.  Music is definitely something we don't get worked up about.  And when we travel with the kids, we invite them to run their playlist in the car.  Some of it we like.  Some of it we mock them for, because we're parents and that's a fun part of the gig.

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

...as you proceed to get worked up over a halftime show all over this thread. 

Yeah, freedom of speech and expression is fucking pathetic. Man, did you get the vapors and faint when Janet Jackson had her "wardrobe malfunction?" I bet you really got bent out of shape 25-30 years ago when Madonna grabbed her crotch in a music video. Or when "Touch Myself" was a popular song blared over every pop radio station and had the audacity to be sung by a woman. I hope you're policing your daughter's Instagram and don't let her watch anything with a Kardashian on it. You know, everything would be a lot better if we'd just go back to the time when women had to wear dresses to their ankles and certainly couldn't express any of their own personal sexuality. 

It's almost like change is inevitable, and it's going to make olds uncomfortable. In related news, have you considered the benefits of a lifestyle in Iran? There's a little upheaval going on right now, but I'm sure that will pass soon enough and then you might not have to answer questions that make you uncomfortable to your daughter who is about to be a teenager. I mean, I doubt they could even watch the Super Bowl over there. 

Whoa!  That’s a really long response. You must really care about my feelings. I don’t give a shit about the performance, except it pissed me off for the 15 seconds I had to address what she did, and I think she’s a dipshit now. But thanks for the presumption about Janet and everything else in your time-waste post!

10 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Whoa!  That’s a really long response. You must really care about my feelings. I don’t give a shit about the performance, except it pissed me off for the 15 seconds I had to address what she did, and I think she’s a dipshit now. But thanks for the presumption about Janet and everything else in your time-waste post!

GOLDURNIT!  I'm just mad that  I had to explain to my little angel why that pervert Elvis was gyrating his groinal region all sexual-like on the tee-vee.  I don't know why these newfangled rock and rollers can't just perform pleasant music, in a pure style, like the fabulous Lawrence Welk!

Jesus.  Just look at how you sound.  A pop star made a sexual gesture.  OH MY LANDS AND CLUTCH MY PEARLS!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

GOLDURNIT!  I'm just mad that  I had to explain to my little angel why that pervert Elvis was gyrating his groinal region all sexual-like on the tee-vee.  I don't know why these newfangled rock and rollers can't just perform pleasant music, in a pure style, like the fabulous Lawrence Welk!

Jesus.  Just look at how you sound.  A pop star made a sexual gesture.  OH MY LANDS AND CLUTCH MY PEARLS!

It’s cute how any gesture is a sign of me getting old.  Doesn’t matter how extreme. First, I know I’m getting old, and I don’t really give a fuck what anyone thinks of my opinions. That’s the beauty of getting old. Second, I really don’t care about Rhianna and whatever she does. It was posted in the OP, and I responded, and now have to defend the response I guess?  I don’t even care I had to explain to my daughter. I can very easily sidestep. 

I don’t care about Elvis, MJ, Madonna, JJ. They’re entertainers. What she did Sunday goes way beyond that, and I commented on it (and have proceeded to listen to all her old songs with my kids every night since).  I would’ve felt the same way at 17 years old about her trash nature. I’d bang her then and would bang her now. But it was a trashy move. See ya later fuckos. 

Just now, Porterhouse said:

I don’t care about Elvis, MJ, Madonna, JJ. They’re entertainers. What she did Sunday goes way beyond that, and I commented on it

You know, lack of self-awareness may be the most delicious internet snack.

The reason the 21-year-old shocked so many was due to the sexual aggression of his onstage bravura. He literally gyrated liberation into the living rooms of millions and for some that was unacceptable. In fact, CBS were so afraid of the potential controversy kicked up by the ‘Hound Dog’ star that they made a decree that for all future shows he would exclusively be filmed from the waist up.

Porterhouse, CBS executive, 1956.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

First off, that “long response” took less than 2 minutes to write. I care zero for your feelings, but I care about your post as much as I think your attitude is shitty and dangerous. It’s the same one that has led to people not wanting to let kids read To Kill a Mockingbird, because it gives them uncomfortable feelings. 

freedom is the freedom of folks to do things not everyone might like, such as burning an American flag as protest. But sadly these days people only want freedom to do things they think are appropriate. And it’s problematic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  My wife and I have noticed over the past few years, if we have SNL on, when they say "and musical guest, [whoever]!", more often than not, we look at each other and ask "who?"  But we don't give a shit, because we know that 30+ years ago, our parents would have said the exact same thing when Nirvana or U2 was the musical act.  

That said, we'll also usually listen to the act.  Sometimes, we really like it, and find out about a new (to us) act.  Music is definitely something we don't get worked up about.  And when we travel with the kids, we invite them to run their playlist in the car.  Some of it we like.  Some of it we mock them for, because we're parents and that's a fun part of the gig.

i have 'discovered' a lot of new (to me) artists thanks to SNL. in just the last 5-10 years...The 1975, Gary Clark Jr., Greta Van Fleet, Anderson Paak, and Dua Lipa just off the top of my head. 

...and i guess that's exactly why an SNL musical guest booking is still a big deal for the artists 🙂

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You know, lack of self-awareness may be the most delicious internet snack.

Porterhouse, CBS executive, 1956.

Don’t know what you’re talking about, which I suppose is your point. I don’t recall Elvis pulling this move:image.gif.59edbc77a80760988bb53aeadf1776ef.gif

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

First off, that “long response” took less than 2 minutes to write. I care zero for your feelings, but I care about your post as much as I think your attitude is shitty and dangerous. It’s the same one that has led to people not wanting to let kids read To Kill a Mockingbird, because it gives them uncomfortable feelings. 

freedom is the freedom of folks to do things not everyone might like, such as burning an American flag as protest. But sadly these days people only want freedom to do things they think are appropriate. And it’s problematic. 

K

Just now, Porterhouse said:

Don’t know what you’re talking about, which I suppose is your point. I don’t recall Elvis pulling this move:image.gif.59edbc77a80760988bb53aeadf1776ef.gif

Nope.  He pulled a different sexualized move (you, ummm, DO know that sex has, like, ALL KINDS of moves, right?) that evoked the exact same "oh now, how overtly lewd!" pearl-clutching response as you've shared.  You reacted to a sexual gesture just like uptight white folks did in 1956.  To the surprise of, well, nobody who has read any of your other posts.  You do you.

I mean, shall we get started on all of these commercials that show couples where one of them is white, and one of them is well, you know?  Or where it's apparent that two people of the same gender are a COUPLE?  OH MYLANTA!  I just don't know what to tell my kids!

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope.  He pulled a different sexualized move (you, ummm, DO know that sex has, like, ALL KINDS of moves, right?) that evoked the exact same "oh now, how overtly lewd!" pearl-clutching response as you've shared.  You reacted to a sexual gesture just like uptight white folks did in 1956.  To the surprise of, well, nobody who has read any of your other posts.  You do you.

I mean, shall we get started on all of these commercials that show couples where one of them is white, and one of them is well, you know?  Or where it's apparent that two people of the same gender are a COUPLE?  OH MYLANTA!  I just don't know what to tell my kids!

I will do me. I didn’t clutch my pearls, I dispatched my daughter quickly, and don’t care about interracial portrayals in ads. Lol.  You and the banner flyer are going off the rails about book banning and white folks.

Now, the HIV meds commercials are fucking ludicrous and I’ll argue that all day long.