Judge demands apology for being heckled at Stanford

Neonmoon

For those of us unfamiliar with Duncan, from Wikepedia:

Duncan is known for a history of anti-LGBT activism.[6][7][8] In 2015, Duncan argued before the Supreme Court against the constitutionality of same-sex marriage.[9] He has led efforts to defend state bans on same-sex marriage.[9] When the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of marriage equality, Duncan described the decision as an "abject failure" that "imperils civic peace", and he argued that the decision "raises a question about the legitimacy of the court."[9]

Duncan represented the birth mother of three children who refused to give her former same-sex spouse visitation rights to the children.[9] He represented a Virginia school that sought to prevent a transgender student from using the bathroom that corresponded to their gender identity.[9] He also defended in courts North Carolina's bathroom bill that prohibited transgender students from using the bathroom that corresponded to their gender identity.[9]

Nothing else in the piece recommends this guy as much of a human being. In fact, he seems despicable.

Still, I find the rowdy prevention of him even saying his prepared remarks to be pretty close to despicable as well. Protest outside. Organize a boycott of the event so he speaks to an empty room, or flood the room with silent protesters. 

I don't think this asshole meets the standard for being shouted down and driven away. Nazis, white nationalists, and their ilk do deserve such treatment.

Anyway, I'm glad to know about this guy. The hate engine will magnify this. Downward spiral unabated.

• Hook 'Em 8

19 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

For those of us unfamiliar with Duncan, from Wikepedia:

Nothing else in the piece recommends this guy as much of a human being. In fact, he seems despicable.

Still, I find the rowdy prevention of him even saying his prepared remarks to be pretty close to despicable as well. Protest outside. Organize a boycott of the event so he speaks to an empty room, or flood the room with silent protesters. 

I don't think this asshole meets the standard for being shouted down and driven away. Nazis, white nationalists, and their ilk do deserve such treatment.

Anyway, I'm glad to know about this guy. The hate engine will magnify this. Downward spiral unabated.

This guy is among the worst of all the Trump judges, so I think it's pretty safe to assume he's got some strong white nationalist sympathies at the very least. 

Also, there's no reason to take Ed Whelan's word (that they shouted him down to prevent him from speaking) at face value. It's pretty clear he was a being a petulant child and it's more likely he just decided to throw a tantrum.

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This guy is among the worst of all the Trump judges, so I think it's pretty safe to assume he's got some strong white nationalist sympathies at the very least. 

Also, there's no reason to take Ed Whelan's word (that they shouted him down to prevent him from speaking) at face value. It's pretty clear he was a being a petulant child and it's more likely he just decided to throw a tantrum.

I think he went in looking for a fight. It’s pretty shocking that a federal judge handled himself so poorly (though, as the tweet in the op suggested, that was probably the point).

Otoh, the dean seems to be reading from prepared remarks at times-it looks like she went in intending to say her piece too.

Basically, no one comes out looking particularly good from the whole fiasco. It’s probably why Stanford already issued that apology.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I think he went in looking for a fight. It’s pretty shocking that a federal judge handled himself so poorly (though, as the tweet in the op suggested, that was probably the point).

Otoh, the dean seems to be reading from prepared remarks at times-it looks like she went in intending to say her piece too.

Basically, no one comes out looking particularly good from the whole fiasco. It’s probably why Stanford already issued that apology.

FIRE's initial transcript of the dean's remarks cut out the majority of what she actually said, including a lot of stuff to the students about needing to let him speak:

Later in the thread you can see a response from someone with FIRE and they subsequently updated their piece, though without noting the major update in the piece itself.

• Hook 'Em 3

He had the right to speak and they had the right to protest. As far as I can tell, both sides exercised their rights. I do find it telling he wouldn’t have discussions with the students when they asked him questions 

Also, The Federalist Society is a cancer 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Supreme Court Beer GIF

Yes shocked lol.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

if the white nationalists think he’s a white nationalist, then what’s the fucking difference?

hate doesn’t need to be ranked  

• Hook 'Em 6

44 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if the white nationalists think he’s a white nationalist, then what’s the fucking difference?

hate doesn’t need to be ranked  

You think all levels or hate and its objects are the same?

Actually, a person can hate anyone they want to. The issue is tolerance. I don't like seeing men in drag. I don't hate them, but I don't want to see them. Too bad, they deserve the same tolerance they allow for a slob like me.

The man is despicable. No question. I agree with the administrator's remarks about speech. I also worry about the safety of anyone not willing to bow to labeling imposed by a hateful government. 

6 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Cory Lewandowsky used that same "I've already answered your question" bullshit when testifying in front of Barry Berke. 

Clearly this snowflake is a weirdo who isn't proud enough of who he is to just come out and say it in front of people who don't feel the same way he does.