2023 off year elections and primaries

Zonahorn

5 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Not a majority shift in the court on the line, but portends well for next year.  

5-2 beats 4-3.  Plus these are races Dems have historically not shown up for, allowing state supreme courts to be dominated by GOP hacks. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hopefully we see some changes in Mississippi today. For the first time winners will be chosen by the popular vote. 

I don't know how to feel if Mississippi says enough with Republicans before Texas does. But I don't think it happens, no way, no how. Trump won the state by 16 points.

13 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't know how to feel if Mississippi says enough with Republicans before Texas does. But I don't think it happens, no way, no how. Trump won the state by 16 points.

the black vote had been suppressed into the ground. To win office you had to win the popular vote and a majority of the 122 state districts. If you didn’t win both, the house decided the winner. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong) Blacks didn’t even vote, hopefully all that changes today. Mississippi is 40% black and there’s never been a black win a state wide office 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

the black vote had been suppressed into the ground. To win office you had to win the popular vote and a majority of the 122 state districts. If you didn’t win both, the house decided the winner. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong) Blacks didn’t even vote, hopefully all that changes today. Mississippi is 40% black and there’s never been a black win a state wide office 

You are correct.  Had to win the popular vote and a majority of the state House districts.  If no one won both, it was kicked to the MS House, who could vote whoever they wanted.

This requirement has been cited as reducing the chances for nonwhite candidates to be elected to statewide office. In a state where 56% of the population is white – the rest are Black, Hispanic, Asian, Native or multiracial – 66% of the House districts are majority white.

The state House has made the decision only a small number of times, and just once at the level of the governor's race. In 1999, then-Lt. Gov. Ronnie Musgrove, a Democrat, defeated Republican Mike Parker in a very tight contest. Musgrove won a plurality of the statewide popular vote, 49.6% to 48.5%.

But each candidate won 61 of the House districts, sending the decision to the state House of Representatives. At that time, Democrats held 84 seats, ensuring a majority. Two Republicans joined them to elect Musgrove by a margin of 86-36.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You are correct.  Had to win the popular vote and a majority of the state House districts.  If no one won both, it was kicked to the MS House, who could vote whoever they wanted.

Whoever they wanted, that wasn’t black 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Lol. The one time it happened was 1999. 

Still a lot of ancestral white Southern Democrats in 1999, my dude.  He was pretty conservative - pro-life, opposed adoption by same-sex couples.  His tort reform push was his downfall and he lost in 2003 to Haley Barbour. 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Still a lot of ancestral white Southern Democrats in 1999, my dude.  He was pretty conservative - pro-life, opposed adoption by same-sex couples.  His tort reform push was his downfall and he lost in 2003 to Haley Barbour. 

You’re not wrong that some ancestral Southern Dems still existed. And you’re not wrong about the original purpose of the law. 

But it hasn’t affected a single race besides the 1999 one, and despite Musgrave being “pretty conservative”, he absolutely was the preferred choice of the left and the vast majority of black voters. Unless you are arguing that they preferred Parker and the 1999 race screwed over the black voters?

Tate Reeves is certainly in trouble. He’s been running scared for the past month. 

But the reason being isnt due to this law being changed.  The law has never stopped a left leaning candidate from winning an election. And was repealed 80-20 on the same ballot that Trump won by 16 points. 

8 hours ago, Don Johnson said:
But it hasn’t affected a single race besides the 1999 one

This isn't even true (read the immediately preceding clause in the article

and despite Musgrave being “pretty conservative”, he absolutely was the preferred choice of the left and the vast majority of black voters.

This discounts that people may vote strategically in order to get a candidate elected even if he wasn't their preferred choice. See, also, the presidential election of 2020.

Edited by elfenix
Doing quotes in Tapatalk with bbcode breaks this dumb wysiwyg only editor and you can't fix it on your phone

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Don't forget the "red mirage" when the rural, ruby red counties report first: REPUBLICANS ARE GOING TO HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Virginia is a red mirage state, where Biden was trailing by 20 points early on and won the state by 10 points)

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Don't forget the "red mirage" when the rural, ruby red counties report first: REPUBLICANS ARE GOING TO HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Virginia is a red mirage state, where Biden was trailing by 20 points early on and won the state by 10 points)

GOP in Va has realized how much that has hurt them (basically Trump dismantled the infrastructure of the 2010 red wave, which relied on heavy early and mail-in voting) and are now encouraging early/mail in voting with "secure your vote" and "bank your vote". No idea how successful however. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

GOP in Va has realized how much that has hurt them (basically Trump dismantled the infrastructure of the 2010 red wave, which relied on heavy early and mail-in voting) and are now encouraging early/mail in voting with "secure your vote" and "bank your vote". No idea how successful however. 

Regardless, the small very red counties will always report first.  It's not about raw votes or % of vote, it is where the votes are coming from before the hot takes start. 

34 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Bold strategy Cotton

Makes me wonder if Republicans are not reading the room on abortion, or have decided this is their last chance before something happens on a nation-wide level in the near future.  You can say "no, Republicans just don't care what everybody else thinks" but politicians like Youngkin know full well that this is an issue that will get a shitload of people out to vote against Republicans (as we've already seen) and so he absolutely cares.

Or option D) "Republicans can fundraise off of it", which is probably what Youngkin is doing.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Makes me wonder if Republicans are not reading the room on abortion, or have decided this is their last chance before something happens on a nation-wide level in the near future.  You can say "no, Republicans just don't care what everybody else thinks" but politicians like Youngkin know full well that this is an issue that will get a shitload of people out to vote against Republicans (as we've already seen) and so he absolutely cares.

Or option D) "Republicans can fundraise off of it", which is probably what Youngkin is doing.

It's like the really red state legislatures slapped the buzzer on Family Feud and blurted "BAN ABORTION!" to the rest of the GOP's ".....uh....good answer....yeah, c'mon! Good answer! Good answer!" *clapclapclapclap*

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fucking Bobby Newport 100% doesn't believe in banning abortion

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Part of politics is convincing your base that every single election is important. That’s why the GOP dominated local and state elections for so long 

It's this. As soon as voting becomes cool for 18-25 year olds or, more importantly for peer pressure, not voting makes you a loser asshole, the world changes. The question is if that ever happens and if it sticks if it ever does. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

they’re reading those donation checks