2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

8 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Off day topic:

with how much we all like to bitch at Maldy and “insert-shitty-player-of-the-month here”, who is your most disliked Astro.

not talking about current roster. And I already know who the two most popular answers will be (see spoiler) so tempted to rule them out but curious what y’all have.

Reveal hidden contents

Fiers, which I was tempted to rule out because 99% of his hate came for what he did after he was an Astro, not while he was on the team and of course:

85C4A47F-CAFD-432E-98AD-DCF82530E69E.jpeg.f4c1535cd7d38203787e612cb5fb9b2c.jpeg

just still crazy to me both of those guys came in the same trade.

so if not those guys, I guess I have to go with something like Odorizzi. Or the shitty blue Jay trade that brought us sanchez and that Biagini clown. What it is about dipshits and no-hitters on this team?

I’d really like to hear who y’all hated from the mid-80s through ~2000. That was my childhood when I was naive and liked just about everybody before growing up and becoming a typical cynical /surly fan.

Carlos Gomez.

Hated that motherfucker every day he was an Astro.

I don't hate Maldy.  I hate the usage of Maldy.  He plays his ass off to the best of his ability.  No problems there.

EDIT:  LOLz.  i did not open the hidden part until I had already posted my response.  Noice.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

They’ve played 4 more home games than the Astros. The Astros have the 28th toughest ROS SOS with opponents having a .471 winning %. Rangers have the 13th toughest, playing teams with a .503 winning % the rest of the way. 

During the Astros' prolonged run of excellence, one thing that's puzzled me is our  home record. We've tended to be remarkably good out on the road, even against the better teams, so common sense suggests we'd be simply dominant at home. But quite often — including this year — we really haven't been all that fearsome at MMP. If there's a widely known explanation of this, I've yet to read it. 

12 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

During the Astros' prolonged run of excellence, one thing that's puzzled me is our  home record. We've tended to be remarkably good out on the road, even against the better teams, so common sense suggests we'd be simply dominant at home. But quite often — including this year — we really haven't been all that fearsome at MMP. If there's a widely known explanation of this, I've yet to read it. 

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

They’ve played 4 more home games than the Astros. The Astros have the 28th toughest ROS SOS with opponents having a .471 winning %. Rangers have the 13th toughest, playing teams with a .503 winning % the rest of the way. 

Relatedly, they have also played  a considerably easier schedule based on SoS than the Astros. 28th to the Astros 15th....which confirms my gut feeling. What gets me is that it feels like the majority of the time they're playing a winning team, they get them at home. 

My 9 year old son is obsessed with the Astros. He watches the games, plays with them on MLB the Show, youtube highlights every morning, ect... 

When he acts up, wife punsihes him by taking away all Astros media for a week. I'm working with her to try to find a consequences that don't punish me as well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Off day topic:

with how much we all like to bitch at Maldy and “insert-shitty-player-of-the-month here”, who is your most disliked Astro.

not talking about current roster. And I already know who the two most popular answers will be (see spoiler) so tempted to rule them out but curious what y’all have.

Reveal hidden contents

Fiers, which I was tempted to rule out because 99% of his hate came for what he did after he was an Astro, not while he was on the team and of course:

85C4A47F-CAFD-432E-98AD-DCF82530E69E.jpeg.f4c1535cd7d38203787e612cb5fb9b2c.jpeg

just still crazy to me both of those guys came in the same trade.

so if not those guys, I guess I have to go with something like Odorizzi. Or the shitty blue Jay trade that brought us sanchez and that Biagini clown. What it is about dipshits and no-hitters on this team?

I’d really like to hear who y’all hated from the mid-80s through ~2000. That was my childhood when I was naive and liked just about everybody before growing up and becoming a typical cynical /surly fan.

Lmao I made that meme.  It popped up on my memories a few days back.  So I guess I have to go with him.

I fucking hate Robbie Grossman too though 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, texashorne said:

My 9 year old son is obsessed with the Astros. He watches the games, plays with them on MLB the Show, youtube highlights every morning, ect... 

When he acts up, wife punsihes him by taking away all Astros media for a week. I'm working with her to try to find a consequences that don't punish me as well.

Hide in the closet with the tv app on your phone.

8 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Lmao I made that meme.  It popped up on my memories a few days back.  So I guess I have to go with him.

I fucking hate Robbie Grossman too though 

Hahahaha

thats where I got it from then. Yeah I must have saved it then because it popped up on mine too and decided to wait until an off day to bring it up

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Make him watch the Yankees in the other room...

Totally on board with Fiers hate, but I answered mine more from looking at the lineup or watching the games and thinking, "This cocksucker has no business being on the Astros."

Most of us cheered quite a lot for Shithead Mike while he was here.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

Make sure he listens to breathing orange fire. Especially episode 20. He can learn a few new words and gambling games. 

• Haha 1

My least favorite Astro of all time?  
I mean- it’s definitely maldonado and that’s not close and that’s not a recency bias thing. 
if I can’t answer him or Maton, or Fiers I guess I’d probably have to go with Carlos Gomes. He was awful to root for. 
I was no great fan of the man I named Ricky Rally Killer Gutierrez. 
to make my list you have to play (and play poorly) during a time where the astros were good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My least favorite Astro of all time?  
I mean- it’s definitely maldonado and that’s not close and that’s not a recency bias thing. 
if I can’t answer him or Maton, or Fiers I guess I’d probably have to go with Carlos Gomes. He was awful to root for. 
I was no great fan of the man I named Ricky Rally Killer Gutierrez. 
to make my list you have to play (and play poorly) during a time where the astros were good. 

Loved most, April-September: Biggio and Bagwell

Hated most, October: Biggio and Bagwell 

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

how quickly we all forget luke gregerson

Yeah 5 minutes after I made my post I remembered:

“fucking Gerg”… and his pal from the same era, Tony Sipp (Crane clearly didn’t learn from Sipp on why you don’t give a setup guy a ridiculous 3 year deal )

wasn’t there another guy from around then who absolutely despised us after he left? Pat Neshek maybe? Fuck that guy too.

Middle relievers should be pretty popular for this question….they are middle relievers for a reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah 5 minutes after I made my post I remembered:

“fucking Gerg”… and his pal from the same era, Tony Sipp (Crane clearly didn’t learn from Sipp on why you don’t give a setup guy a ridiculous 3 year deal )

wasn’t there another guy from around then who absolutely despised us after he left? Pat Neshek maybe? Fuck that guy too.

Middle relievers should be pretty popular for this question….they are middle relievers for a reason.

Bud Norris?

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

My least favorite list:
1. Russ Springer, good God he sucked
2. Ausmus, worthless catcher before Maldy was a worthless catcher.  Overrated at every skill.  At least he hit for a few seasons.
3. Maldanado - not the person, and it's not his fault Dusty keeps throwing him out there, but damn does he suck
4. I really hated Marwin until that home run off of Jansen.  Still not a fan overall.  Was way to cocky for the skillset he brought to the game.  
5. Orland Palmerio, just worthless and constantly brought off the bench to fail

Hate:
Mike Fiers, fuck you forever Mike
Carlos Gomez - He sucked

Edited by uoftorange
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

My least favorite list:
1. Russ Springer, good God he sucked
2. Ausmus, worthless catcher before Maldy was a worthless catcher.  Overrated at every skill.  At least he hit for a few seasons.
3. Maldanado - not the person, and it's not his fault Dusty keeps throwing him out there, but damn does he suck
4. I really hated Marwin until that home run off of Jansen.  Still not a fan overall.  Was way to cocky for the skillset he brought to the game.  
5. Orland Palmerio, just worthless and constantly brought off the bench to fail

Hate:
Mike Fiers, fuck you forever Mike
Carlos Gomez - He sucked

If dusty retires after this season, asmus will be the first interview for manager 

• Rage+1 2

Fucking why?

Loved him as a player, but not enamored with his managing.

"Because we know who he is" doesn't check enough boxes in my book.  I'm weird that way.

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why are you the way that you are?

Jeff Bagwell asked if he’d like to see Brad Ausmus back with @astros organization: “Yeah..I think Brad would be an amazing front office guy. He can use analytics & his knowledge of playing to benefit whatever team he’s with.” (Does that mean GM?) “Eventually.He’d be great at it”

1 hour ago, uoftorange said:

My least favorite list:

Without Brad Ausmus, Astros lose G4 against Atlanta to force a toss-up G5 and likely don't make it to their 1st World Series.  One swing against Farnsworth gets him a lifetime pass with me.  Same for Chris Burke.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2