2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

20 minutes ago, WBT said:

/nocr

Houston announced as host of the 2028 RNC.  How about no month-long road trip this time?  

I still don't understand why the team had to be gone a month for a 4-day convention.

They aren't using the Astros home to host the convention this time.

56 minutes ago, WBT said:

/nocr

Houston announced as host of the 2028 RNC.  How about no month-long road trip this time?  

I still don't understand why the team had to be gone a month for a 4-day convention.

This post hits close to home.

My gf and I were talking about mlb schedules the other day and my wondering how sophisticated the computer program must be to do all of that. And then mentioned “and then you get random crap like the time in ‘92 when the Astros were on the road a month so the Dome could host the RNC.”

and then a day later saw the news about ‘28.

I still have a couple of these stuffed in storage somewhere:16A51DA0-26F6-40B2-82D5-BF57E0498131.thumb.jpeg.55813160ca4b35b996f569d8979dffd5.jpeg

682BE8B7-CAFB-4832-87E2-E274E0F6EC42.thumb.jpeg.93c672d85d3971991696c94966140c7b.jpeg

and the answer to your question: it’s the same reason they have to shut down Zilker Park for a full month for a 6 day music festival. (No one knows)

• Like 1

And this “crazy sports schedule” talk has me thinking back to ‘86:

I still can’t believe we got home field advantage in the LCS because the Oilers had a scheduled home game the same day as what would have been one of our home games had the normal schedule applied.

What’s even crazier is that it also impacted the ALCS. HFA alternated every year back then (NL East & AL West one year, NL West and AL East the following, regardless of actual record). So 1986 should have been NL East and AL West champs got HFA. But to keep things in sync, because the Oiler game forced the NL West champ (Astros) to get HFA, they also swapped the AL so that the AL East champ (Red Sox who actually did have the better record compared to the Angels) got HFA.

#themoreyouknow

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

And this “crazy sports schedule” talk has me thinking back to ‘86:

I still can’t believe we got home field advantage in the LCS because the Oilers had a scheduled home game the same day as what would have been one of our home games had the normal schedule applied.

What’s even crazier is that it also impacted the ALCS. HFA alternated every year back then (NL East & AL West one year, NL West and AL East the following, regardless of actual record). So 1986 should have been NL East and AL West champs got HFA. But to keep things in sync, because the Oiler game forced the NL West champ (Astros) to get HFA, they also swapped the AL so that the AL East champ (Red Sox who actually did have the better record compared to the Angels) got HFA.

#themoreyouknow

enjoy yalls knowledge of Astros.  Did the rodeo in the Dome used to over lap the first week of season too? 

24 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

enjoy yalls knowledge of Astros.  Did the rodeo in the Dome used to over lap the first week of season too? 

Believe the rodeo always wraps up in early March. And up until recently, the MLB season didn’t start until late the first week of April, so don’t think there was any conflict in the Dome between Astros/Rodeo

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Brantley won't be even as good as Julks. he's old and rusty, we don't have the luxury to play this guy into shape. 

As opposed to the stiffs we've tried to play into shape but then realized their shape is that of a vacuum cleaner. 

Robert Downey Jr Ok GIF

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Believe the rodeo always wraps up in early March. And up until recently, the MLB season didn’t start until late the first week of April, so don’t think there was any conflict in the Dome between Astros/Rodeo

Yep and the rodeo started earlier back then too. So highly doubtful. 

Prior to this exact moment, I was absolutely convinced Houston sports were cursed.  This bomb was what made me start to believe that 2017 might be different...
Your Houston sports fan burn marks are showing... we were up in the series 2 games to 1!

11 minutes ago, APMP said:
53 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:
Prior to this exact moment, I was absolutely convinced Houston sports were cursed.  This bomb was what made me start to believe that 2017 might be different...

Your Houston sports fan burn marks are showing... we were up in the series 2 games to 1!

As we were in G4 against KC in 2015.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3