2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

46 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Am I right to worry that Dusty might be back next year?

no idea, but it’s the last year of jv / Altuve / bregman all together. I don’t see any roster overhauls with those guys in place. We’re making a title run next season and need some support pieces. If it’s not dusty, it’ll be espada 

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Am I right to worry that Dusty might be back next year?

Worry, sure. I don't think he will be back. Dana should be in control this offseason and I think he knows what to do.

The past offseason timeline was:

The Houston Astros win the mother fucking World Series Oct 28th!

Clicks contract expired Oct 31, discussions result in an insulting 1 year offer he rejects during first week of November. He ends up becoming VP of Toronto

The Astros continue to not have a President of Baseball Operations (Crane fulfills this role)

Jeff Bagwell assumes the role of Grima Wormtongue

Dusty Baker gets a 1 year extension Nov 9th

Montero Signed a 3 year $34.5 million contract Nov 12 💩

Abreu Signed a 3 year $58.5 million contract Nov 28th 💩?

Brantley Signed a 1 year $12 million contract Dec 18th 💩 -who were they bidding against at this point???

Dana Brown Hired as General Manager Jan 26th 

Arbitration and controlled player contract stuff happens, Dana runs the draft

April kind of sucks, team is off to a .500 start, May goes better, but the team is still not performing as expected. 

June 5th Dana Brown publicly says "We should be playing Diaz more, but that's Dusty's call..."  This is the day after Diaz went 4 for 4 against Toronto, yet never appears in the next 3 games against the Blue Jays, all of which were losses. Diaz at that point had appeared in 24 of 60 games, but several of those were 1 at-bat appearances. Since that quote from Dana, I think it has been a behind the scenes internal power struggle. Dusty wants to prove something by messing with the lineups, and sitting younger guys that Dana likes. It's a bunch of passive aggressive bullshit disguised in "intangibles" and "pitcher preferences." 

Diaz starts 19 games in June, mostly at DH. 18 games in July, the team's best month, 19 in August, and so far 11 in September.  For the record, the Astros are 48-40 in games that Yanier has started at some position. The team is simply better with him playing, but for whatever reason, Dusty continues to play him only 65% of the time. Chas McCormick was in a very similar position with the amount of playing time through May, and I would bet money Dana was advocating for him too, but that appears to have put a target on his back as he also gets benched too often. 

September 12 - Astros lose out on hiring David Stearns as President of Baseball Ops. Not surprising, but it's good to see that they are willing to fill this role with an actual person instead of Crane. It also signals that Dana plans to fill this role with a likeminded talent evaluator who would likely want a smarter manager.

Present day - Still in the race for the 6th place wild card, division title is likely out of reach. A win tonight might be enough to secure it, but it's very dicey. Easily would have won the division if better lineups were played for just about 20 more games this season. Next year should be much better with Dana running the show. 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Worry, sure. I don't think he will be back. Dana should be in control this offseason and I think he knows what to do.

Clicks contract expired Oct 31, discussions result in an insulting 1 year offer he rejects during first week of November. He ends up becoming VP of Toronto

The Astros continue to not have a President of Baseball Operations (Crane fulfills this role)

Brantley Signed a 1 year $12 million contract Dec 18th 💩 -who were they bidding against at this point???

April kind of sucks, team is off to a .500 start, May goes better, but the team is still not performing as expected. 

June 5th Dana Brown publicly says "We should be playing Diaz more, but that's Dusty's call..."  This is the day after Diaz went 4 for 4 against Toronto, yet never appears in the next 3 games against the Blue Jays, all of which were losses. Diaz at that point had appeared in 24 of 60 games, but several of those were 1 at-bat appearances. Since that quote from Dana, I think it has been a behind the scenes internal power struggle. Dusty wants to prove something by messing with the lineups, and sitting younger guys that Dana likes. It's a bunch of passive aggressive bullshit disguised in "intangibles" and "pitcher preferences." 

Diaz starts 19 games in June, mostly at DH. 18 games in July, the team's best month, 19 in August, and so far 11 in September.  For the record, the Astros are 48-40 in games that Yanier has started at some position. The team is simply better with him playing, but for whatever reason, Dusty continues to play him only 65% of the time. Chas McCormick was in a very similar position with the amount of playing time through May, and I would bet money Dana was advocating for him too, but that appears to have put a target on his back as he also gets benched too often. 

September 12 - Astros lose out on hiring David Stearns as President of Baseball Ops. Not surprising, but it's good to see that they are willing to fill this role with an actual person instead of Crane. It also signals that Dana plans to fill this role with a likeminded talent evaluator who would likely want a smarter manager.

Present day - Still in the race for the 6th place wild card, division title is likely out of reach. A win tonight might be enough to secure it, but it's very dicey. Easily would have won the division if better lineups were played for just about 20 more games this season. Next year should be much better with Dana running the show. 

All true. If Dusty comes back or will all suck I don’t care what kind of fucking Rube Goldberg contraption crane tries to build to keep Dusty from running with scissors. 

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

If Houston hires a POBO it will be Crane doing the hiring and that person would be Brown’s boss.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

If Houston hires a POBO it will be Crane doing the hiring and that person would be Brown’s boss.

I think they will work together if they hire the right person, and I'll take that guy's decision making brains over Crane any day of the week. The problem with missing on Stearns, who has done a great job keeping Milwaukee competitive, is that if they get a guy like Bagwell in there it may create an internal war. They need someone in that role though, Crane can't be that guy again. 

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

For all the Dusty blame happening, this is the main reason for the subpar season…...And shitty defense  

But at the trade deadline our team ERA was 3rd in the majors and we still traded for JV. Our batting was 16-18th in all major categories and we did nothing. Pitching got worse after the AS break and so did the bats. Just been a bad down year across the board.

38 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Biggest game of the year. 

Rangers would much rather face the Mariners than Astros in the playoffs.  They will tank that series.  Houston must win tonight and then have to take 2 of 3 in Arizona.  Fangraphs says they have 58% chance but it’s probably more like 18%.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

But we’re not going to.

mariners pregame last night was saying that was virtually a must win for them (and with Kirby on the mound, it was).

and at any rate, it’s not “literally a must win.”…we aren’t eliminated if we lose. 

I mean- yeah we are. Not technically. But this team isn’t going to the playoffs if they lose tonight. The rangers will lay down on purpose. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

But at the trade deadline our team ERA was 3rd in the majors and we still traded for JV. Our batting was 16-18th in all major categories and we did nothing. Pitching got worse after the AS break and so did the bats. Just been a bad down year across the board.

I don’t know where we were at the AS break but currently the team is 5th in BA., OPS and RS. Offense hasn’t been the problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean in theory he could make Framber throw to Diaz but we know he won’t and the head case that is Framber is another reason there’s no place for Diaz. And maybe McCormick is sore from getting hit. In a perfect world we are up 12 in the 8th and Stanek and Abreu pitch the last two innings and hit 5 Mariners then throw one in the dugout at Servais. 

We’ve given total control of the organization to Dusty fucking Baker. We are the bizarro Astros - from Lunhow to Dusty.

Jim Crane experienced unprecedented success…and decided to do the exact opposite of what got him there.

Fuck it, I fully, 100% hope the Astros lose tonight, because stupid fucking actions should be met with consequences.

Dusty has put his feeling over the team’s success all year long. Crane has endorsed it. I have no idea what Brown does.

This really is the perfect end. To the season and to the org’s run of success.

• Like 5
  • Drool 1