2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Thing I don't get about a Bullpen game is when you think of how many times even a Verlander or Cole when he was in blue & orange would give up a single home run early or just get knocked around a little until they found their rhythm and then it was lights out for the other team.  This approach brings in several pitchers who aren't on rhythm, and it's deliberate.

I get it if your staff is stretched thin or whatever.  Not sure I agree with Minny's approach for a Best of 5 Series. 

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

And AJ had a good point about what the hell are they gonna do at the end of the game.  Bring in their blowout guys?

I just don't understand the pre- planned bullpen game idea. Their starter wasn't pitching terrible, so why not adjust and play it inning by inning with him? I feel like it is much more difficult to have 6-7 relievers all be on their A game than to try to squeeze another couple innings out of the starter. 

• Like 1