2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, utxmike05 said:

So my buddy says the Stros would have home field in a WS matchup with philly since we are division champs. I didn't fact check. 

I'd rather rematch the Braves. Can't believe they are rolling over like that. 

Not trying to look past the Rangers, but if we get there, I want the Braves a lot less than either of the other two options. 

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Not trying to look past the Rangers, but if we get there, I want the Braves a lot less than either of the other two options. 

I stopped giving a shit what the NL does after 2019 & 2021. It is much easier that way.

I still do like to laugh at the Dodgers though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

So my buddy says the Stros would have home field in a WS matchup with philly since we are division champs. I didn't fact check. 

Your buddy is wrong. Philly has the 2-1 H2H over us. It’s record first, then head to head results 

24 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

I came here to post about the Rangers fan in the other thread posting the same shit about them and how it is bad fucking juju...then I read this post.

Quit fucking with the baseball gods. One game at a time.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

friendly reminder that it used to just alternate until about 2003.

then it was decided by the fucking all star game.

both seem rather ridiculous now.

My favorite is still getting HFA in the ‘86 LCS because the Oilers were already scheduled to play the Bears in the Dome on the same day as what would have been a home game for the Astros. (And that, in turn, causing the ALCS to flip HFA between the Red Sox and Angels to keep things aligned….leagues alternated HFA back then so the AL East and NL West would have HFA one year and then AL West and NL East the following. So because the NL East champ Mets “lost” HFA because of the Oilers, so did the Angels).

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

MLB teams that won 91 or more games during the regular season went 1-13 in the playoffs.

MLB teams that won 90 or fewer games during the regular season are 21-9 in the playoffs.

Guess it is a good thing Dusty kept fucking around and finding out so often against the Royals and A's 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Guess it is a good thing Dusty kept fucking around and finding out so often against the Royals and A's 

Dusty’s plan to win 5 less games than we should have through lineup decisions was 4D chess. He knew we needed to win the division on the last day with exactly 90 wins, not clinch a playoff spot until game 161, so he could avoid being a 95 win team. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The Rays and especially the O’s had key members of their pitching staffs injured.  Hell, Baltimore was basically down to one real starter.

13 hours ago, Pimphand said:

I mean to be fair the Rangers did too with Scherzer & Gray out 

It's truly amazing how the Astros haven't had any health issues and are operating at full strength in their rotation.

I wouldn't know what to do if we lost two topline starters like the Rangers.

Or to not have their All Star / best player for half a season like the Rays.

Sometimes it's just better to be lucky than good I guess.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

It's truly amazing how the Astros haven't had any health issues and are operating at full strength in their rotation.

I wouldn't know what to do if we lost two topline starters like the Rangers.

Or to not have their All Star / best player for half a season like the Rays.

Sometimes it's just better to be lucky than good I guess.

The Astros were down Verlander in 2020 & 2021 are seemingly always down McCullers though only 2019 & 2023. Brantley last year Garcia this year.

Not saying injuries don't happen but somehow the Rays and Os offenses couldn't muster shit against a depleted lineup and a not great bullpen.

Shit happens baseball is a weird sport.

Edited by Pimphand

4 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

The Astros were down Verlander in 2020 & 2021 are seemingly always down McCullers though only 2019 & 2023. Brantley last year Garcia this year.

Not saying injuries don't happen but somehow the Rays and Os offenses couldn't muster shit against a depleted lineup and a not great bullpen.

Shit happens baseball is a weird sport.

Can you imagine if the Astros were down Garcia all year. McCullers AGAIN.

Started the season without Verlander until say July.

Didn't have Altuve for the first half.

Didn't have Yordan for a long stretch.

AND didn't have Brantley until August... and then he still wasn't 100%?

We'd be screwed.

No one could overcome that kind of luck.

Some teams are just snake bitten. Luckily we've never dealt with that kind of stuff in the last 7 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Can you imagine if the Astros were down Garcia all year. McCullers AGAIN.

Started the season without Verlander until say July.

Didn't have Altuve for the first half.

Didn't have Yordan for a long stretch.

AND didn't have Brantley until August... and then he still wasn't 100%?

We'd be screwed.

No one could overcome that kind of luck.

Some teams are just snake bitten. Luckily we've never dealt with that kind of stuff in the last 7 years.

Don't forget that treacherous downtime before the LCS.  It's a real bugaboo if you listen to what some folks are sellin this morning..

Edited by slorch

To be fair, this team's focusness on the road is otherworldly.  Nobody has HFA over the Astros in the playoffs.  Heard all yesterday morning what an unbeatable place the Cheesesteak Palace has become, but everyone just blindly skipped over the WS last year.

It don't make a fuck where this team plays.   Hell play in Tampa if ya have to...

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

Don't forget that treacherous downtime before the LCS.  It's a real bugaboo if you listen to what some folks are sellin this morning..

Yeah we really need to just go back to the old system of best team from each league makes the world series. Then the poor Braves and Orioles would have gotten a chance to not hit against each other in peaceful harmony 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Yeah and if Dusty didn’t fuck around all season and won just *one* more we would have HFA potentially next week 

Dusty knew that HFA in the World Series would have been our kryptonite and successfully avoided it.

Against the Rangers, it don't make a shit.

4 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Dusty knew that HFA in the World Series would have been our kryptonite and successfully avoided it.

Against the Rangers, it don't make a shit.

It's 10D chess and we are all just witless pawns in his hyper dimensional reality

Mind-blown GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by Pimphand

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:
21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:
MLB radio choking on that Philly cock all morning 
this team has no weakness !

Did you see Harper staring down Arcia!?!?

The best was how fired up Vic was getting over every single thing Harper does.  I mean if pets heads fall off and we lose the ALCS then I'm all for Harper continuing his antics