NBA Playoffs 2023

ztejas

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NBA and the 76ers would probably look completely different if that fucking lucky, bouncing, last second 3 by Kawhi didn't go in to win Game 7 of the ECF a few years back.  That 76ers team had Jimmy Butler, Embiid, JJ Redick, Tobias Harris and Ben Simmons actually playing as starters. They would have easily beat the hobbled Warriors to win a ring, and probably re-signed Butler in the offseason. What a crazy thing to give Tobias Harris 5 years 180 million and let Jimmy Butler walk for 4 years 140m to the Heat. 

15 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

image000000.jpeg.5b6a55cbb558d3bad5e8003e711e60b5.jpeg

I was an early-adopter to this Memphis team (was in Memphis at least once a week for work a ton pre-Covid and even thought of getting a small block of season tickets Ja's rookie year), but the past year or so I'm completely over them and now root against them. Completely unlikeable in attitude and behavior, IMO.

Rooting for Lebron over anyone is hard to get me to do, but here we are.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Seeing him in Chicago, I was afraid he would never get his due.  This game was his Picasso.  Hope the casual fan gets it now. 

Most hard-nosed and completely likable player in the NBA. To come from being ranked the 73rd best player in Texas to being the player he is today is just incredible. If you could give me just one guy in the east to build a playoff team around he is that guy. I felt that way about him three years ago and nothing has changed there. If Butler had been able to stay in Philly the 76ers would be the best team in the conference.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Curious... is Butler a shoo-in to make the NBA Hall of Fame?

giphy.gif

Maybe if he can make a finals

6 hours ago, AeroHorn said:

Watching Ja for the first time, for being such an out-of-control and poor shooter why is he taking so many shots?

He's got a broken hand.

1 minute ago, HamsterHookah said:

Homeless looking Jaimie Foxx can ball. Good for him, but better and funnier are play-in teams winning their series with 4-1 gentlemen sweeps.

Goes to show you the regular season is broken.

LA wouldn't be up 3-1 over any other West team save maybe Minny or LAC. Some of the guys that Memphis is giving minutes to belong nowhere near a playoff series in 2023 and I think the Ja injury has thrown a wrench in their continuity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Seeing him in Chicago, I was afraid he would never get his due.  This game was his Picasso.  Hope the casual fan gets it now. 

I just worry that the only purpose this Heat team serves is to be a pain in the ass and possibly knock out a real contender in Milwaukee. They aren't winning the championship unless there is an unprecedented slew of injuries. Though, if Milwaukee can't beat a one man show, they may not be contenders.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

Lol looks like my Lakers +4.5 hit, barely!

I woke up to news of overtime thought I blew it 

I went upstairs while they were clobbering them. Then I checked before turning out the lights and it was tied, in the 60s I think, and then it gets all nutty. I thought I had a delayed jinx in effect.

All three of tonight's games have double digit point spreads. If all three series end tonight, going to make the schedule weird for the rest of the week. 4 games Wednesday, 0 on Thursday, potentially 4 on Friday. I assume they'd start Boston/Philly and Denver/Phoenix on Saturday to avoid having zero games again.

Can wet revisit the take that these playoffs have been bad or boring? The injuries are disappointing but there have been great games each night not to mention a record level of dudes getting hit in the balls. 
Only one series is tied at 2. The only series right now that I could see a comeback happening is Milwaukee over Miami. I guess it's about the balance of great individual games vs the series being close. A series could be tied at 2 but every game is a blowout. Pretty much the Mavs Suns last year. Went 7 but every game was a blowout.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Rooting for Lebron over anyone is hard to get me to do, but here we are.

Memphis really isn't getting nearly enough credit for being as hate-able as they are. How the fuck am I actively pulling for the Lakers and Lebron in this series? Double fuck the Griz for doing this to me. Least likeable team in forever.

9 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Most hard-nosed and completely likable player in the NBA. To come from being ranked the 73rd best player in Texas to being the player he is today is just incredible. If you could give me just one guy in the east to build a playoff team around he is that guy. I felt that way about him three years ago and nothing has changed there. If Butler had been able to stay in Philly the 76ers would be the best team in the conference.

Funny thing about Butler is that pre-Heat, he had a reputation as an asshole teammate who was impossible to get along with. 

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Only one series is tied at 2. The only series right now that I could see a comeback happening is Milwaukee over Miami. I guess it's about the balance of great individual games vs the series being close. A series could be tied at 2 but every game is a blowout. Pretty much the Mavs Suns last year. Went 7 but every game was a blowout.

That's fair, but I'd much rather see close, dramatic, pressure-filled games than a 7 game series where each game is a blowout. Who wants to watch that crap? Even the Wolves/Nuggets on Sunday night in a 3-0 series was a fantastic watch. There have definitely been some stinkers and there will probably be three more of them tonight, but overall it's been really fun to watch. The Milwaukee, Memphis and Cleveland 3-1 series are little more interesting because the trailing teams all have home court in game 5. I think all three of them go at least 6. And if things hold up, the next round should be great as well: DEN/PHX, LA/SAC or GS, BOS/PHI, NY/MIA or MIL. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

What about last season when he drug the Heat kicking and screaming to G7 of the ECF?

Yes that was great

I'm just saying for my personal HoF vote that I don't have, if he can't win a finals he needs to at least make another one. His big thing is he's a playoff monster (which he is) but is he just stacking stacks or is he leading a team to the Championship?

53 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Yes that was great

I'm just saying for my personal HoF vote that I don't have, if he can't win a finals he needs to at least make another one. His big thing is he's a playoff monster (which he is) but is he just stacking stacks or is he leading a team to the Championship?

I don't think he's a first ballot guy yet but he will get in eventually I'm guessing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Memphis really isn't getting nearly enough credit for being as hate-able as they are. How the fuck am I actively pulling for the Lakers and Lebron in this series? Double fuck the Griz for doing this to me. Least likeable team in forever.

As a Spurs fan i always hated the Lakers. No more Kobe, Tim retired, we have our own problems to worry about, and i find myself not really hating them as much. My dad was a Lakers fan though so maybe i have some deep down soft spot for them.

Edited by Pam Cummings

I think there is vindication on the level of disgust Butler had for his teammates in Minnesota. He was driven by winning and he had a team that was an absolute clownshow around him. The 76ers should have kept him. That was a colossal screw-up letting him go. 

I said this in 2020, but Butler found an organization driven to win and one where he has guys around him that play the same way he does. Having Pat Riley running your organization should have been a big clue he’d fit in there. Very few superstars wind up in a perfect situation, but Butler found that with Miami. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Miami Heat forward Jimmy Butler developed a strong bond with Pau Gasol when they were teammates with the Chicago Bulls. 

So, naturally, Butler wanted to show support when Gasol's Los Angeles Lakers jersey was retired earlier this week. Butler left Miami so he could attend the ceremony. 

Butler recently explained the decision to make the quick trip to Los Angeles in the middle of the Heat's postseason run. 

"Very important for me," Butler said. "Pau has been a brother to me since obviously our Chicago days. He really taught me how to be a pro, what it's like being a champion and me wanting to get there one day. I wouldn't miss that for the world. I miss him, as I tell him all the time. We stay in touch all the time. I'm sure I'll see him this summer, whether it be in [California], in Spain. Somewhere, somehow, I'm going to find a way to sit down and have dinner with my guy."

From an article in SI about his friendship with Gasol. I think he was the only active player to make it to the jersey retirement. I think the persona of him being a jerk is overblown. He has a low tolerance for guys who don’t care about winning seems to be more what irks him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1