Best Texas Movie by City

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yep, this is the scene.

My wife is born in Carthage, and her parents live in nearby Tenaha.  I'm no big fan of East Texas, yet I found the movie and it's East Texas setting and characters (many of whom were played by local residents) really endearing to me. 

He's calmed down a lot since getting Brad fired.

4 hours ago, Not a cat said:

According to the obit Wooderson was an aggy.  Makes sense if you think about it but i guess with mccoughnahey playing him I always pictured him as one of us.

http://obituaries.itemonline.com/obituary/robert-wooderson-1957-2018-1061794896

My daughter is very good friends with his daughter. Both aggy. Wooderson lived a hard life.

My wife is going out of town this weekend and leaving me with the kids. I feel like a weekend of steaks, fried chicken, and a Texas film marathon is in order.

I am compelled to go on record that Lone Star is getting insufficient credit on this thread. It's a fucking masterpiece. Also up there is Three Burials. Holy shit that's a great fucking film. Otherwise everyone knows that this is a list for #2 after Giant. Come on, people.

31 minutes ago, MAROON said:

This thread finally got me to roll through HELL OR HIGH WATER for the first time two nights ago. It's been on my DVR for months. Loved it.

On 6/27/2018 at 9:18 AM, South Austin said:

Yep, this is the scene.

My wife is born in Carthage, and her parents live in nearby Tenaha.  I'm no big fan of East Texas, yet I found the movie and it's East Texas setting and characters (many of whom were played by local residents) really endearing to me. 

I got involved with Panola College Theatre in 98 because I went back to college and my GF at the time was in drama big time. ...That was where most of the money he spent went to. The College and the Drama Director would not cooperate with the movie because She was so personally close to Bernie so in the movie he is giving money to the town's theatre dept. I got to hear all the stuff that happened and stuff that never made the press. It truly was a Redneck Soap Oprea. Actually, my first two years of schooling was paid for by the Bernie Tiede Theatre Scholarship Fund lol. 

Four pages long and nobody mentions Newton Boys? Matt, Skeet, Dnofrio, and Yoakum. I was at the Alamo when they were filming in that area at one of the Hotels. I was staying at the Menger where I think they filmed in the bar. It wasnt a great movie but I've always enjoyed. Margolies was pretty hot too. Bad Livers on the soundtrack was cool too.

The Hot Spot - Taylor and Hamilton Pool.

Don Johnson, Jennifer Connelly, Virginia Madsen directed by Dennis Hopper. Charles Martin Smith and Barry Corbin in supporting roles.

Not a great movie, but a young Jennifer Connelly going topless at Hamilton Pool makes this a state treasure.

21 hours ago, MAROON said:

That is one shit list.  "exemplifying the zeitgeist of its time like few other films" is the descriptor for Reality Bites at 12.  Yet Dazed & Confused is 26. 

5 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Don Johnson, Jennifer Connelly, Virginia Madsen directed by Dennis Hopper. Charles Martin Smith and Barry Corbin in supporting roles.

Not a great movie, but a young Jennifer Connelly going topless at Hamilton Pool makes this a state treasure.

Jennifer Connelly topless anywhere is a treasure. 

On 6/24/2018 at 7:42 PM, South Austin said:

Yeah, but hated what he did with the Star Wars prequels.

I thought that was Kevin Smith?  Anyway, Bill Murray was great in the original Star Wars cantina scene.

Robocop 2 was filmed in Houston. I work in what used to be the Continental Building, where they filmed all the evil corporation scenes. The one with the CEO in the hot tub is the lobby where a Subway now resides. The final shootout scene happens at the intersection of Texas and Smith street, outside the Wortham theater.  

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/movies/article/When-Robocop-2-came-to-Houston-6344343.php

Eddie Macon's Run.  Again, not a great movie.  Filmed in Laredo.  There was one club in town for the local gringos.  Schneider spent time there during the shooting.  He thought VERY highly of himself, which is good, because by the time he left town, no one there thought much of him.

Good call on the Gregory Portland locations for Raggedy Man.  It was mainly Gregory though.  

And thanks for the shout out for A Perfect World.  I knew something had been filmed in Martindale, and I kept trying to put Tender Mercies there.

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I refuse to see this movie, since it looks like a horribly acted Hallmark TV puff piece. I already made the mistake of reading Jim Dent's Courage Beyond The Game.

I agree with your assessment of the genre of the movie.    For those of us who were around during that period though, cheesy or not, it brought back memories, it told a story that shouldn't be forgotten.  I wish it had been a better production, so it would have had a broader appeal.  I would guess you read "I Play to Win?"    I haven't read Dent's book, but I read this one about 40 something years ago.  Not sure how it aged. 

22091400.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Eddie Macon's Run.  Again, not a great movie.  Filmed in Laredo.  There was one club in town for the local gringos.  Schneider spent time there during the shooting.  He thought VERY highly of himself, which is good, because by the time he left town, no one there thought much of him.

Wow, blast from the past.  I saw that movie on HBO when I was a kid.

15 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I agree with your assessment of the genre of the movie.    For those of us who were around during that period though, cheesy or not, it brought back memories, it told a story that shouldn't be forgotten.  I wish it had been a better production, so it would have had a broader appeal.  I would guess you read "I Play to Win?"    I haven't read Dent's book, but I read this one about 40 something years ago.  Not sure how it aged. 

22091400.jpg

Every Longhorn fan should read that book.

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2018 at 9:03 AM, BornOrange said:

This is a very underrated and entertaining movie.

Also Debra Cole, formally of the Dudley and Bob show is naked with Jennifer Connelly in that Hamilton Pool scene.