Best Texas Movie by City

4 hours ago, tantric superman said:

No Country for Old Men was supposed to be Eagle Pass/Del Rioish.  More west than RGV.

Sanderson/Terrell County for the 1st half of the movie.

4 hours ago, tantric superman said:

The fact that John Sayles Lone Star only has two mentions means some of you need to fucking see Lone Star.

Del Rio, Eagle Pass, Laredo.

Sayles' movies are small but I'd put this one up there with the best Texas films easily.

Kristofferson, McConahey, Chris Cooper.  Bad ass little movie.

Yep. Great flick.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

11 hours ago, South Austin said:

The problem with Dallas Buyers Club is that most of it was filmed in Louisiana.

Is the criteria:

a. Filmed in Texas

b. Takes place in Texas

c. Both

Rushmore is supposed to be in the Northeast US but was filmed in Houston.  Office Space was meant to be anywhere which is why the license plates say "USA" instead of "Texas".

I wasn't really intending on setting any rules, but if we're talking about "best" Texas movies, I tend to elevate the films that take place and were shot in Texas.  I love Dallas Buyers Club, but as a "Texas" movie, I bump it down a few pegs because it was mostly shot in Louisiana.

Although shot in and around Austin, and referencing the moon tower, Top Notch, etc., Dazed and Confused has way more elements from Huntsville, where Linklater went to high school. (Also, Everybody Wants Some is about RL's freshman year at Sam Houston State.)

Ricky Floyd ("Randall" Floyd in the movie), Wooderson, O'Bannon, Slater, and others are/were literally real people RL went to high school with. My aunt dated Ricky Floyd briefly in high school. The senior-freshman hazing ritual still goes on. The Emporium was a pool hall in Huntsville. At the end they drive down to Houston for Aerosmith tickets. 

http://www.buildingshsu.com/site/resources/dazed.html

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Duckman said:

Lone Star is one of the few modern movies that I think accurately depicts Texans. 

Damn straight. Love love love that film and the further away in time we get from it the more underrated it becomes. 

No better flick about Texas than Lone Star. 

Would be cool if someone updated the list. I was going to add Legend of Boggy Creek, Charlie Wilson’s War, Thin Blue Line, Place’s in the Heart (I dated Possum in college, no shit. She was also young Holly Hunter in Broadcast News), The Tree of Life, those Tarantino movies filmed in Austin - Planet Terror, etc,, A Perfect World, Secondhand Lions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, wutang75 said:

I thought Frailty was supposed to be set somewhere north of Abilene, not sure where it was filmed.

Could be. Thought they mentioned going to Dallas. Plus that type of crazy i could see happening in East Texas

Could be. Thought they mentioned going to Dallas. Plus that type of crazy i could see happening in East Texas

Yeah - the FBI office was in Dallas.

Also - to me The Thin Blue Line set the foundation for true crime docs and it’s in Dallas.

2 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Although shot in and around Austin, and referencing the moon tower, Top Notch, etc., Dazed and Confused has way more elements from Huntsville, where Linklater went to high school. (Also, Everybody Wants Some is about RL's freshman year at Sam Houston State.)

Ricky Floyd ("Randall" Floyd in the movie), Wooderson, O'Bannon, Slater, and others are/were literally real people RL went to high school with. My aunt dated Ricky Floyd briefly in high school. The senior-freshman hazing ritual still goes on. The Emporium was a pool hall in Huntsville. At the end they drive down to Houston for Aerosmith tickets. 

http://www.buildingshsu.com/site/resources/dazed.html

Yeah, having gone to HS in Conroe myself and knowing a little of RL's background, I always thought the movie was set in Huntsville, with the trucks, the rednecks, etc, & the cool cars. I had a 67 Camaro that was wayyy too fast for a 15-17 yo to be driving it. We definitely drove into Houston many times for concert tickets, too. Kind of a ritual. They talk about a big party at "the woods". In Conroe it was always at "the road". The only thing that probably doesn't fit too well is the Moon Tower scene.

Before moving to Conroe, though, we were here in Austin, and I went to Bedichek, where the HS shots were shot. The sleeping woodshop teacher in the film? That was actually my Bedichek woodshop teacher, Mr. McFarland. Cool guy. /csb

Edited by wood

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

The location for The Emporium was shot in a small retail center off Lamar where Stiles Switch now resides.

Right next to the Yellow Rose. You think they got some business from the crew during that shoot?

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Office Space was meant to be anywhere which is why the license plates say "USA" instead of "Texas"

I was at the shoot for Office Space down off Woodward when the front of the building was on fire. They needed a fire crew, so we stood by. I remember checking out Lumberg's Porsche, and hearing them kinda stressing about the shot, saying they only had one take. It didn't didn't really work as spectacularly as  they had hoped, but it looked good enough in the movie. /csb

Edited by wood

It should not have taken this many posts to get to Hell or High Water. 
There is a Mr. Pibb sucking compared to Dr Pepper joke in this film.  This is a Texas joke, in a Texas movie, with Texas characters, that kicks all kinds of ass. 

So much this. Damn I hate myself for forgetting this. My favorite scene is the diner - that old lady waitress is so accurate to what you might run across if you are in the O&G industry out there or just live in a small town.

“I’ve been workin here 44 years, ain’t nobody ever ordered nuthin but the T-bone steak and a baked potato, except for one asshole from New York that ordered the trout back in 1987”.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Is the criteria:

a. Filmed in Texas

b. Takes place in Texas

c. Both

Rushmore is supposed to be in the Northeast US but was filmed in Houston.  Office Space was meant to be anywhere which is why the license plates say "USA" instead of "Texas".

I don't know if Rushmore was set in the Northeast or not.  My memory is that they do not ever discuss the setting.  Obviously they don't have a winter or snow setting like you would see with Dead Poets.

Rockport/Fulton - Alamo Bay.  probably the only hollywood movie ever filmed there so qualifies as the best.

SIAP.  Rio Bravo - Rio Bravo

Channelview - The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I think Crazy Heart probably deserves a Houston nod, and The Three Burials of Melquiedes Estrada is worth mentioning as well.

I ain't even from Texas, and I agree with both of these.  I also very much enjoyed "Hell or High Water".

And what about "The Last Picture Show"?  Do you even Cybill Shepherd, bro??

17 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Blood Simple -- Central Texas

Boyhood -- Houston, San Marcos, and Austin

NCFOM -- RGV

Dallas Buyer's Club -- Dallas

The Alamo -- Don't remember

Texas Chainsaw Massacre -- Central Texas

Hud -- Panhadle

Where are all of these movies?

The Alamo was filmed in Bracketville.

My fav is The Last Picture Show filmed mostly in Archer City.