2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

1 minute ago, hook me said:

Other than him not traveling to LSU, are there more stories of him being a cancer at a&m? I don't remember many/any but I don't keep up with everything. I know he hurt our feelings in his recruitment and when he didn't enter the portal last year, but, depending on what he's asking for, I don't see why we shouldn't at least kick the tires & see if we can't make it work.

He’s an immature shithead at an absolute minimum. Probably a bad guy. And clearly doesn’t love football the way Sark likes guys to. 

Horns 247, on Trey Moore and Evan Stewart.

Trey Moore

I wouldn’t be surprised if UTSA EDGE Trey Moore committed to Texas tonight, tomorrow, or the day or days after. Simply put, everything I’ve been told leads me to believe the only thing left to happen is Moore posting a commitment graphic. 

The UTSA edge transfer will decide between Texas and Alabama after visiting both Austin and Tuscaloosa on back-to-back weekends. Jordan Scruggs and myself have placed Crystal Ball predictions in favor of Texas and that’s where the intel continues to point. — Hank South

Evan Stewart

Yes you read that right. Stewart officially showed up in the portal just minutes before releasing this. While I expect his recruitment to be somewhat of a rollercoaster like his high school recruitment was, I've been told by sources for weeks that Texas would feel great about their chances if Stewart were to ever actually enter the portal. Well now he's in there and it's time to see what happens. — Jordan Scruggs

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

As good as Wingo is, you can't really expect him to come in and be the guy from day one. Sarkisian's offense is pretty complex for the receivers. I still think we should grab an upper class guy, but no idea who at this point unless they are going to take the flyer on Stewart. 

I think Cook is the guy next year.  I think Wingo can be one of the next two.  But if you use that portal spot on Stewart and he flakes out you’re really thin.  I think someone of comparable talent will be available at some point without the diva bullshit.

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s an immature shithead at an absolute minimum. Probably a bad guy. And clearly doesn’t love football the way Sark likes guys to. 

They fired his coach mid-season. What exactly was A&M playing for? Brotherhood or the interim coach that also is leaving for better opportunity?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I think Cook is the guy next year.  I think Wingo can be one of the next two.  But if you use that portal spot on Stewart and he flakes out you’re really thin.  I think someone of comparable talent will be available at some point without the diva bullshit.

Maybe if you take Stewart you look for a 3rd portal WR like a Tarique Milton who is happy to just come to Texas and finish out his career while not being a primary option. 

I certainly think the argument could be made to take a 3rd portal WR regardless, but at that point you might be reaching 'scaring off current players' territory. Cook, Golden, Stewart, Wingo, Moore, whoever is at TE and the RB's would all be expecting to get their fair share of touches. Only 1 football to go around.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Stewart is in a contract year, I don't see him going Agyie Hall. Once again, Texas being patient with the portal works out in our favor.

I don't think Texas is thin at WR at all. Cook, Moore, Niblett all in their 2nd year. Golden from the portal, and I think every WR in the 2024 class is an EE.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If Stewart comes to Texas I will choose to believe he will be a changed man and will embrace the culture while having 800 receiving yards and 10 TD's.

If he doesn't come to Texas then I will choose to believe Texas passed and we dodged a bullet.

image.png.6eab40f0f6af028489365b60b21c3d12.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Cook and Wingo play opposite sides. I just don't think you can 100% count on Wingo being ready by the first game. I would probably take Stewart and let him and Johntay run all over the field together.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Cook and Wingo play opposite sides. I just don't think you can 100% count on Wingo being ready by the first game. I would probably take Stewart and let him and Johntay run all over the field together.

I don’t think you can 100% count on Stewart producing and being a good teammate.  Sanders affects the calculus here.  If he or Mitchell return, however unlikely that might be, we can shut it down on pass catchers, and lean on the young guys if we have injury problems.

43 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If Stewart comes to Texas I will choose to believe he will be a changed man and will embrace the culture while having 800 receiving yards and 10 TD's.

If he doesn't come to Texas then I will choose to believe Texas passed and we dodged a bullet.

Would you set your self on fire and shit a golden football though? 

From Reddit so take with a grain of salt:

“Sounds like Bama was willing to pay to get him too. Evan had a pretty significant buyout clause baked into his NIL deal from what I'm understanding.

The negotiations are part of why it took him so long to hit the portal. Seems like he got t sorted out yesterday”

• Haha 1

Just now, The Dog said:

“Sounds like Bama was willing to pay to get him too. Evan had a pretty significant buyout clause baked into his NIL deal from what I'm understanding.

The negotiations are part of why it took him so long to hit the portal. Seems like he got t sorted out yesterday”

Lulz. Not even close to being legal.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. Not even close to being legal.

Agreed....

I think it was more along the lines of there was a date on the NIL deal that he had to stay to to get a payment.....that day finally came and he bolted.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

I think Stewart’s a take. 

Disclaimer: I never played or coached football, know very little about the X’s and O’s, and have no insider knowledge whatsoever.

That’ll be $9.95. 

I’m not real sure but I’m pretty sure with those credentials you could be the aggy AD. 

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Stewart is in a contract year, I don't see him going Agyie Hall. Once again, Texas being patient with the portal works out in our favor.

I don't think Texas is thin at WR at all. Cook, Moore, Niblett all in their 2nd year. Golden from the portal, and I think every WR in the 2024 class is an EE.

Wingo & Livingstone are, but not Dubose (should probably RS and work on fully recovering from his ACL anyway) 

• Like 1

The Margin Hooks connection is an interesting one. Cook was already unhappy with his low usage this year, how would he and Hooks feel about two of his guys who need to get fed on the same team?

It could be a big distraction if the touches aren't there, but it could be close to 2020 Bama on offense if it does with Cook, Golden, Stewart, and Wingo

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

First and foremost, you haven’t uttered a single falsehood about the kid. With that out of the way, I don’t really give a fuck about any of it. I delight in the misery of others…particularly aggies. It’s just how I get down, and judging by the length of @texifornia’s marvelous screenshots thread, I’m not the only one around here with that fetish. As such, this is the very best opportunity to drive those rubes absolutely meshuggah that we’ve had in at least a couple of years. The value simply cannot be ignored. It’s a contract year with Ewers and his pal Cook, and it’s not like Sark has a problem keeping talented, but unreliable dudes (Hall, Neyor) on the bench at that position if need be.

Chances are somebody else is going to be willing to drop a much bigger bag on the kid, but from a purely selfish perspective, I’d love to see Texas take the aggies’ crown jewel from that head-to-head recruiting battle in 2021, and then use him however Sark sees fit. I’ve seen him drop a few balls, but I’ve also seen him catch some of the ugliest, most off-target passes I’ve ever seen, as well. The kid has elite talent. I have no idea if he will ever maximize it, but I’d argue that the decision to pursue him in the portal is easily justifiable. Plus, I think I remember ctj saying that Evan cried when his pops told him he had to decommit…if that is even remotely true, maybe he will apply himself differently in Austin. I certainly wouldn’t bank on it, but I’ll leave you with the words of my friend Linda:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952e8lqrzk0tzkpkq57oq

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyTapia said:

I’d probably rather have Zachariah Branch from USC 

Do we even have that choice?

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think he’s an awesome talent and a really high ceiling (and low floor) guy. He’s in a contract year. If he wanted to come to Texas and had his head straight, and we were fine with telling him to fuck off if he didn’t, it would be a great take imo. But, he wants what- mid 6 figures? No way to that. 
if he had a brain he’d go where he was going to get developed and have a huge year as he’s a rehab project headcase right now. I’m sure he will step over tens of millions of dollars in future earnings to pick up relative dimes right now. 

56 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm with SimkinsMan on this one:

1 hour ago, SimkinsMan said:

Sark has made a big deal out of building culture at Texas. Up until this season it was not clear whether that was coach speak or real talk. Pretty clearly, after this season, it's very real. Stuff like letting Jonathan Brooks take a snap in the Big 12 Championship is indicative of a strong culture. The team's fight-to-the-end mentality is indicative of strong culture.

Texas is now in a position where they have NIL money, and an attractive program for WR portal candidates, such that they can be selective. We want Adonai Mitchells, not Agiye Halls. So Sark is not going to take a WR that fucks up that culture. Is Stewart talented? Heck yes. Will he be a good culture fit? Us plebes on the interwebs can't answer that. 

Sark created the culture that has taken root. Look at Worthy's transformation into a team guy who plays hurt and never gives up.

If Sark wants him, I'm sure he will have done due dilligence. The guy is a fabulous talent. I hope he meets Sark's standard.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The Margin Hooks connection is an interesting one. Cook was already unhappy with his low usage this year, how would he and Hooks feel about two of his guys who need to get fed on the same team?

It could be a big distraction if the touches aren't there, but it could be close to 2020 Bama on offense if it does with Cook, Golden, Stewart, and Wingo

UT Boy assures us that Cook is locked in!

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Why’s Cook publicly talking about their being on the same team if this would be a problem for him.

if Cook is really unhappy about his usage as a true freshman on a team with Worthy, Mitchell, and Whittington, that wouldn’t bode well, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.