2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

40 minutes ago, Plorant said:

Can we ever let the players we recruit play the games?  We get so excited about the recruits when they commit and sign, but then we have this ever burning desire to get transfers to play ahead of them.  How about we let Cook, Moore, Niblett, Wingo, et al get some experience.  

Imagine watching Mitchell this year and then spitting out this dumb bullshit. 

11 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I sweatergawd I'll pistol whip the next person that says Evan Stewart, E-Stew, E-steezy or any other iteration of the name of that fuckface twat from collie station that we absolutely DO NOT WANT. Fuck

E-Stizzlemynizzle

snoop dogg GIF

Edited by bejezuz
  • Haha 4

I hate to be that "trust the corches!!!1" guy, but if Sark is serious about all this team culture he talks about and only getting players in the portal at positions of need...if he gets Stewart that means he was vetted beforehand and I'm ok with it.

Sure he had a couple portal misses with Agiye Hall and Ben Davis, but those two were taken out of desperation to fill holes on a not very talented (top to bottom) Texas team, this isn't that situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Imagine watching Hill, Muhammad, Williams, Baxter, Cook, Wisner and the entire high school recruited offensive and defensive lines play and saying stupid shit like this. 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

1. Let’s say Evan was willing to come to Texas for 1/4 or 1/3 third of what Aggie paid him making money a none issue, would people still be against him coming to Texas?

2. Evan’s circle is the biggest issue. The perceived leading voice is all about getting money, while the trainers are saying forget the money, pick a good offense, be a good teammates and solely focus on draft stock. Leading voice says why can’t we get paid our worth AND go somewhere to improve stock.

3. At the end of the day I just can’t see it happening at Texas but Texas and Alabama are the two places that Evan himself would like to go. 

Yeah I'd take him if the money wasn't a factor. I think it's ok having a couple culture risks as long as you monitor it carefully. But I wouldn't pay him whatever I'm sure he or his circle will demand.

Plus, we have a roster opening at flaky dramatic WR due to the Aeryn Hampton flip.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

I hate to be that "trust the corches!!!1" guy, but if Sark is serious about all this team culture he talks about and only getting players in the portal at positions of need...if he gets Stewart that means he was vetted beforehand and I'm ok with it.

Sure he had a couple portal misses with Agiye Hall and Ben Davis, but those two were taken out of desperation to fill holes on a not very talented (top to bottom) Texas team, this isn't that situation.

Ben Davis wasn't a culture miss though, pretty sure he was actually a really strong culture guy. He just wasn't very good on the field.

• Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, ousux said:

I think it's Cincinnati where the coach said some of these potential portal players get discussed and voted on by the team leaders.  Which means your captains are held accountable for getting these guys to perform, buy in to the culture, stay focused, etc.  and own part of the process. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Cook will start next season. Wingo may as well. If you want to know why we'd bring in Golden and play him over Moore and Niblett then I don't know what to tell you. 

I love the Golden pick up, but now we want more?  If there are wr's that are available better than the ones we have and they are interested in us.  Sure, let's get them.  If not, then let's see what we have. 

31 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Hey motherfucker, I never said not to get Mitchell.  I wouldn't want to start or rely on true freshman this year either.  So it was great we got Whittington to come back.  These guys aren't true freshman next year.  We got Golden.  Which is great.  Do we need to keep this fucking dream going of getting Evan Stewart?  No, I don't think so.  That's all I'm trying to say.  

9 minutes ago, Plorant said:

Hey motherfucker, I never said not to get Mitchell.  I wouldn't want to start or rely on true freshman this year either.  So it was great we got Whittington to come back.  These guys aren't true freshman next year.  We got Golden.  Which is great.  Do we need to keep this fucking dream going of getting Evan Stewart?  No, I don't think so.  That's all I'm trying to say.  

I would think the idea is to get a Mitchell replacement to go along with Cook and Golden. We don't have that on our current roster. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Would be awesome to get Stewart. Have to think he was torn when he was committing, definitely seemed into us. I see so much about culture fit but I think getting a kid out of a trashy situation will help and I’m sure he’s friends with lots of players on the team. Would be salty to have golden, cook, Wingo, Stewart out there and maybe some Livingstone for diversity purposes. 

Two years ago, maybe even this time last year, sure you think about it. As it stands now the need for WR talent isn’t so desperate that you want to take a high degree of culture risk long that. Golden as a vet to compliment Cook, et al as they grow into their roles is fine.

1 minute ago, Fumbles said:

Stewart hasn’t been productive enough to justify the character risk.  Keep the powder dry and aim higher.

Yes he absolutely has. He put up over 650 yards as a true freshman in Jimbo's dinosaur offense with terrible QBs, and another 500 yards this last year just half assing it. If it is truly an NFL over NIL situation, which I am not sure I totally believe, then it is hard to argue with Chris Jackson's resume at this point. Two 1,000 yard receivers in the NFL in the same season, followed by two high draft picks his first year in college. I would take this kid and let him put up 800 yards receiving for us next year before he heads off to the league. Cook, Stewart, and Golden would be a nasty trio while we bring the freshmen along.   

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Yes he absolutely has. He put up over 650 yards as a true freshman in Jimbo's dinosaur offense with terrible QBs, and another 500 yards this last year just half assing it. If it is truly an NFL over NIL situation, which I am not sure I totally believe, then it is hard to argue with Chris Jackson's resume at this point. Two 1,000 yard receivers in the NFL in the same season, followed by two high draft picks his first year in college. I would take this kid and let him put up 800 yards receiving for us next year before he heads off to the league. Cook, Stewart, and Golden would be a nasty trio while we bring the freshmen along.   

This is a terrible take and you should work harder to become a better poster here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Uh huh.  What are his NIL requirements?  What kind of guarantees does he want?  Is he actually willing to earn his starting spot or does he expect it to be handed to him?  How does he handle it if Matthew Golden, Johntay Cook, or Ryan Wingo get more targets than him?

If you want to dedicate the NIL money necessary to pull him here despite those risks for the potential of 800 yards next year, I’m really glad you’re not in the position to make that decision.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is a terrible take and you should work harder to become a better poster here.

Out of curiosity, how would one work harder to post better on this site? A daily regimen of 5 sets of 50 banging my head against the wall? Ropes and tropes at dawn? I will give these a shot and report back. 

fat-fitness.gif

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Absolutely against the guy coming to Texas even if he wanted to pay for other players' NIL and participate as a walk-on.

2) You know fully fucking well Stewart is too weak to change his circumstances with his circle. I have no sympathy. I cut people out of my world who were causing my future harm when I was younger than this idiot and more was personally on the line.

3) Like I said, he is highly likely to eventually be seeing himself at USC or Tennessee, where he will be a perfect fit.

As I said above, I wouldn't take him if he were paying into the Texas One Fund to help others. I explain further, again, below.

You should spend more time working on evaluations, then. Higher ceilings, that will be approached by performance, exist with at least 15 guys across the collegiate landscape in 2024. 

Nope. This is the problem with you, Wulaw, the other draft junkies and the unrealistic recruitniks who prefer to follow recruiting more than watching the actual games. Potential never pays the fucking rent. There is zero reason to be as enamored with Evan Stewart at this point as many of you are. 

The guy was skipping classes at ATM in month one of his freshman year. He continued with that shit for his duration there. He failed 3 different drug tests while on campus. He quit on his team in both of his seasons there, having to be talked back onto the field more than once. His inner circle leveraged him twice already for significant paydays. They're going to do it again because the guy has that ethereal potential. So maybe potential does pay the rent - for Stewart's dad, I guess. The guy dropped 4 passes this season in limited playing time. He had more than that his freshman year. He's a shit blocker. He's a social media diva. 

Why in the fuck do people insist on what-iffing a scenario for a malcontent with a proven history of underperformance and undercutting an organization's culture while doing so. Would any of you hire a guy like that? Right. But you'd want TOF and Sarkisian to do so? What the fuck?

Like I said, USC and Tennessee are an on brand match for Stewart. 

If all the shit you said is true, then he’s not badass.  Simple as that.  Btw you take yourself way too seriously.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Bamboozled73 said:

Sark only played 3 WRs all year.  Although it has its positive, we don’t know what we have in the young WRs at this time.  We will be in the same situation next year. 

yeah, why wasn't our WR room shittier so we got to se more of *checks notes* Casey Cain and Isiah Neyor and less of Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington and AD Mitchell?!

Edited by NoName

29 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This sentence is a perfect encapsulation of Evans.  Talented, but flawed.. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Out of curiosity, how would one work harder to post better on this site? A daily regimen of 5 sets of 50 banging my head against the wall? Ropes and tropes at dawn? I will give these a shot and report back. 

fat-fitness.gif

Personally, I only bang 10s. Does wonders for my posting.

Your mileage may vary.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Plorant said:

I love the Golden pick up, but now we want more?  If there are wr's that are available better than the ones we have and they are interested in us.  Sure, let's get them.  If not, then let's see what we have. 

I’m not sure who you think would disagree with this statement. 

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Absolutely against the guy coming to Texas even if he wanted to pay for other players' NIL and participate as a walk-on.

2) You know fully fucking well Stewart is too weak to change his circumstances with his circle. I have no sympathy. I cut people out of my world who were causing my future harm when I was younger than this idiot and more was personally on the line.

3) Like I said, he is highly likely to eventually be seeing himself at USC or Tennessee, where he will be a perfect fit.

As I said above, I wouldn't take him if he were paying into the Texas One Fund to help others. I explain further, again, below.

You should spend more time working on evaluations, then. Higher ceilings, that will be approached by performance, exist with at least 15 guys across the collegiate landscape in 2024. 

Nope. This is the problem with you, Wulaw, the other draft junkies and the unrealistic recruitniks who prefer to follow recruiting more than watching the actual games. Potential never pays the fucking rent. There is zero reason to be as enamored with Evan Stewart at this point as many of you are. 

The guy was skipping classes at ATM in month one of his freshman year. He continued with that shit for his duration there. He failed 3 different drug tests while on campus. He quit on his team in both of his seasons there, having to be talked back onto the field more than once. His inner circle leveraged him twice already for significant paydays. They're going to do it again because the guy has that ethereal potential. So maybe potential does pay the rent - for Stewart's dad, I guess. The guy dropped 4 passes this season in limited playing time. He had more than that his freshman year. He's a shit blocker. He's a social media diva. 

Why in the fuck do people insist on what-iffing a scenario for a malcontent with a proven history of underperformance and undercutting an organization's culture while doing so. Would any of you hire a guy like that? Right. But you'd want TOF and Sarkisian to do so? What the fuck?

Like I said, USC and Tennessee are an on brand match for Stewart. 

Thanks for the response. It’s funny that you would accuse me of being a recruitnik- I absolutely am not. All I’ve seen from Stewart is his performance on the field- and there have been some spectacular catches and glimpses of huge talent. If I’m guilty of anything it’s seeing something- understanding that the talent is there, and trying to figure out if it’s worth cutting through all the associated shit to try to get to maximizing that potential. 
As far as would I hire a person like that for my company?  Never on the operations side. Nothing to do with infrastructure. Taking a flier on a sales guy and structuring big comp if he pays out and not much otherwise and if he doesn’t pan cutting the cord then?  Yeah.

I view WR and CB as like sales team/ and lines, LB, TE and QB as infrastructure where you can’t tolerate any divergence from culture. 
I’m also a big believer in the idea you can have one shit head or malcontent without ruining your roster/culture- that you only make that an existential threat if you get enough of them in there to form a clique. 
At any rate thanks for expanding on that. I said it’s hypothetical because I don’t see him humbling himself, but it’s interesting that I’ve read multiple place NFL not NIL. End of the day that’s smart but not anything I expect from him. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Bum Phillips talked about the keys to being a good coach, one being to own the locker room.

You're going to have some guys that are behind you and a few who aren't, and a lot of them somewhere in the middle. The key is keeping the guy's that aren't behind you away from the guys in the middle.

Better not to intentionally introduce one of those "aren't behind you guys" into the mix.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Personally I am hoping that fucker hurries up and signs elsewhere so we can put an end to this E-Stew business in here.

He's the new Waddle. Every mention of a "surprise WR" commit will be responded to with his name. He will be on the minds of hundreds of Surly posters on their deathbeds, having driven them mad. Their families, pushed away with their obsession, will only be able to shake their heads as "E-Stew" is whispered during the final breath.

44 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

If all the shit you said is true, then he’s not badass.  Simple as that.  Btw you take yourself way too seriously.

Ha. I am honest about what we are all doing here. It's okay to be serious. It's an escape from other things in life and it is a hobby. When you create your talent acquisition/roster management lists for baseball or recruiting, you put thought and effort into those things. There is zero harm in that unless you're neglecting your life responsibilities. 

And, I don't take this as seriously as some folks always assume. This is entertainment.

43 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Maybe it’s just the season, but whenever you follow CTJ around the site forcefully parroting his takes, I always picture you as this little guy

image.gif.d0c0487b79838513aea5d4a592dea2a7.gif

This one laid me low. 

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You could maybe dial down the pompous asshole shtick just a smidge

Vertigo got the joke. Also, maybe this time, with this post advising me how to behave, this will be the one that causes me to get my shit together. Let's see how it works out.

• Haha 6

55 minutes ago, NoName said:

yeah, why wasn't our WR room shittier so we got to se more of *checks notes* Casey Cain and Isiah Neyor and less of Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington and AD Mitchell?!

You missed the part on young WRs (Cook, Niblett, and Moore).  

Also, there are positives with having a tight WR rotation. 

Edited by Bamboozled73

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.