2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
3 hours ago, Hermanator said:
Sark is clearly trying to set up a version of that offense he had Alabama. QB who can make accurate throws with 3 or 4 dudes on the field at all times that can run in the 4.4s. 
Wonder how his preferred replacement formations will be if we don't get a receiving TE replacement. Will he still stick to a lot of 11 personnel? Or get a little crazy with 10 or even 20 personnel sets? 
A fully spread out or bunch formation of Golden, Bolden, Bond, Wingo, and Blue would have ridiculous speed on the field. Then could sub Wisner and Cook in and still have a ton of speed. It's getting to the point there's no way to use all that speed enough. The offense is going to look very different next season, and if the line and Ewers take a next step up it'll be eating SEC defenses up similar to how Sark did the last time he was in the conference. 

Lulz, Wingo aint starting over Cook.

There was nothing in there about starting. It was a change of pace package to go 10 personnel with the most speed you can get on the field. Cook is a 10.8 or 10.9 guy and Wingo is a 10.6 guy at 6'2". He's a physical beast and that sort of personnel package would be a great way to get him on the field with a safety or 3rd/4th corner on him in his freshman year. 

Matchup nightmare for anyone in the country. 

8 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

I was mostly joking with that post, but reminded me about something. 

It is strange to me that everyone assumes we won't have a target on our back in the SEC like we did in the Big 12. I'm not sure I can get on board with that notion. I lived for a big part of my life in the southeast. Those people fucking hate Texas (the state) and Texans. More than A&M ever could, we represent the state of Texas and those fans will absolutely be out for blood. That is on top of not wanting the embarrassment of losing to one of the new teams from the inferior Big 12. We will 100% still be a jihad game for almost every SEC program we play. Tennessee won't hate us like they hate Bama, nor will Georgia hate us the way they hate Florida. But they will still hate us. 

And that's a good thing. Fuck those schools and those fans. We're Texas. But don't think for a second that they won't play their best game against us. 

This is all correct. Biggest difference is that the SEC refs protect their best teams and we are likely one of those. No more Rig 12 fuckery. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jinx said:

This is all correct. Biggest difference is that the SEC refs protect their best teams and we are likely one of those. No more Rig 12 fuckery. 

Devils advocate the margin of protection is lower now that it won't be all or nothing in terms of them needing a lossless sec team.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, pyrofiend said:

You're thinking of a different guy. Eli Ricks is the guy Bama got from LSU. Desmond (Dezz) Ricks is Eli's younger brother who was a true freshman in 2023. He reclassified from the 2024 class a month before signing day.

They aren't related at all. Eli was at Mater Dei or some other Cali school. Dezz went to IMG from Virginia.

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

Speaking of Alabama and tampering…

After watching them dominate the sport for over half my life, I can’t get enough of this shit.

Blame Saban for retiring after the portal closed. Should have retired the day after the playoff loss. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

You guys are off base, Terrion Arnold is really really good. He'll have a brain fart here and there, but he's really good in man coverage and great in run support. It is so rare for guys who can cover like him to be a plus in tackling on the edge. He can improve in zone, but most Saban guys don't really major in that.

Even with the penalties, he's worth the pick.

When he went up against actual talent the last two years, he was dogshit and he was picked on. The SEC had shit at WR1 this year, much less WR2. He will get a big paycheck for that and you’ll feel silly watching him flop. 

1 hour ago, pyrofiend said:

You're thinking of a different guy. Eli Ricks is the guy Bama got from LSU. Desmond (Dezz) Ricks is Eli's younger brother who was a true freshman in 2023. He reclassified from the 2024 class a month before signing day.

Thanks. I was indeed thinking it was Eli Ricks. 

1 hour ago, salonghorn said:

While I am enjoying  Alabama being torn apart like lions over a zebra kill, I wonder if Bama Beat has a point. If a head coach leaves the program, then certainly it is fair for the players to portal for 30 days. Would it also be fair to allow the school that the coach is departing from to participate in the portal for 30 days after a new coach is named?

Maybe the last thing I would ever do is feel sorry for Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

This is really bonkers.  Alabama’s roster is basically open season for 30 days. Vultures circling, tampering everywhere etc...  And yet Alabama can’t do anything to retaliate because the portal is closed for other teams that have not had a coaching change. 

Incredibly overstated. There will be another portal from April 15th-30th. They can tamper to their hearts content in that one. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

This is really bonkers.  Alabama’s roster is basically open season for 30 days. Vultures circling, tampering everywhere etc...  And yet Alabama can’t do anything to retaliate because the portal is closed for other teams that have not had a coaching change. 

image.gif.a92a97722120481731cd78b9f07b5ebf.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Yes - this is well put and closer to the point I was trying to convey. It's not that these teams will hate us more than anyone else, but they will hate us. They will all be just as motivated as OSU, ISU, or KSU ever were. 

It’s a bad point.

aggy, Arkansas, and OU will hate us, scheme for us every offseason, spring/fall camp and bye weeks…and to a lesser extent and for recruiting purposes we might get a little of that from LSU and Mizzou too. We’ll hear the same stupid narrative that “player X grew up wanting to play in Austin but didn’t get offered” but that will be about 1/3 of our schedule versus what was 1/2 in the Big 12.

Sure, schools East of the Mississippi will circle our game, but they’ll also circle Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma and others as well and that make a big difference.

I agree they’ll play hard because it’s a big game national broadcast, but that’s not the same as a jihad mentality that the Big 12 teams brought where many would change their offensive/defensive base scheme that would match up the best against what Texas/Oklahoma were running.

This was compounded when we went to round robin play. Before we only played 5 opponents each and every year in the Big 12 South and rotated 3 from the North, but when 9 opponents became annual, it incentivized ALL coaches to scheme specifically for UT/OU because a losing season was often considered successful if you could upset one of the bluebloods.

No one outside of aggy/OU/pig will do that shit in the SEC when we don’t play them every year which is a big reason I’m a fan of the 3-6-6 scheduling model.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Isiah Bolden would be insane in 21 personnel with Blue as the other back with Bond, Golden, and Cook/Wingo/Moore. 

??? Did you mean Silas Bolden lining up in the backfield as a RB along with Blue? 

In 21 you only have 2 WR along with 2 backs and a TE, so you could only pair up with Bond & Golden and not one of the remaining slash guys unless you really meant 20 personnel w/ no TE and 3 WRs plus 2 backs 🤔

For better pass pro and better numbers vs the run, I think the 21 is more versatile than 20 and you can still target Helm or maybe a Niblack/Yurosek type if we land 1 of them in the portal on a delayed release. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Its an educational hours deal with Muhammad. Either he stays at washington through the springs or he goes elsewhere. IDK if there will be any additional leeway here but we shall see

Isn't he a grad transfer?  UW shows him as a graduate.

13 hours ago, mantis toboggan said:

Substance aside I find it difficult to listen to CJ. Very repetitive in phrase and word, taking 4 sentences to express a one sentence thought. Similar to Wells which caused be to fast forward anytime he spoke. 

I find this post very encouraging. 

5 hours ago, Atticus said:

They aren't related at all. Eli was at Mater Dei or some other Cali school. Dezz went to IMG from Virginia.

They are brothers. Mater Dei and IMG are both high schools that recruit nationally. And Eli transferred to IMG before his senior year anyway.

7 hours ago, pyrofiend said:

He's right about Arnold, though.  The kid is shit in one on one coverage.  All Bama players are taught to grab, hold....  ..it's the Saban way, but this kid makes it his mainstay.  If he can't get away with it, he's done.  He'll be a mid tier corner, bounce around the league , then flame out 

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

They are brothers. Mater Dei and IMG are both high schools that recruit nationally. And Eli transferred to IMG before his senior year anyway.

Does Mater Dei recruit nationally or just in Southern California?

On 1/14/2024 at 5:25 PM, Red Five said:

That logo is going to take some getting used to.

NGL, I kinda like it. When having to look at that shitty Rig12 logo for 25 years, I can definitely see the appeal with kids. Seeing that we're now in the "big leagues" that patch, at least for now, will land us some great talent. The Burnt Orange and white looks clean. I don't care about "work clothes" bullshit, it's not bad. Now let's all hold hands and hope we can reel in Niblack to replace Sanders. 

On 1/14/2024 at 5:04 PM, HateYouAndMyself said:

I think it is more likely Blackwell that would hit the portal in April than having any real issues with Gbenda. Good chance Gbenda won't be starting anyway if we move Hill to MIKE as some seem to think is likely. Both guys on the two deep at MIKE and WILL are going to play roughly the same snap count anyway. You add Manu into that mix and the one pushed out is most likely Blackwell since I would expect Manu / Gbenda is your MIKE and Hill would then stay at Will with Leafu / Blackwell competing for backup spot (with Blackwell probably hitting the portal if it doesn't look good for him). 

I have no idea if we will even make a real effort for Manu so not worth worrying about (yet). Would be as big an upgrade or perhaps even bigger than the addition of adding Mukuba though. 

Mo Blackwell just signed a new lease for his apartment, so I doubt he'll bounce. 

On 1/14/2024 at 5:47 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I like the way you think. Daniel Trejo was a damned good punter and I believe a preferred walk on from FCS. Banks is very competent. I know he loves Kern, but I bet he's looking for another Trejo. 

Can Texas still get back in with Caldwell or did he sign papers? I think they need another DT. 

Hopefully there will be a cheap TE in the spring portal window. 

I'd bet at worst he's looking for another Machete, but we hit huge with Sanborn, so he's the ceiling we're looking for. We've been very blessed with Banks and ST, so I'm not too worried. Not to mention Kern will have plenty of time to learn since we won't be punting this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

There was nothing in there about starting. It was a change of pace package to go 10 personnel with the most speed you can get on the field. Cook is a 10.8 or 10.9 guy and Wingo is a 10.6 guy at 6'2". He's a physical beast and that sort of personnel package would be a great way to get him on the field with a safety or 3rd/4th corner on him in his freshman year. 
Matchup nightmare for anyone in the country. 
Ok Herman.

7 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Is Tulane star chasing, or are they actually loading up with talent?

Star chasing and it been a terrible move by everyone who tries it, 5* bust that have transferred down have have pretty much all been equally unproductive.

50 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Star chasing and it been a terrible move by everyone who tries it, 5* bust that have transferred down have have pretty much all been equally unproductive.

There is a big difference between a school like A&M and other p4 schools star chasing with maybe the exception of Vandy and Northwestern types vs a team like Tulane. 

12 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Speaking of Alabama and tampering…

After watching them dominate the sport for over half my life, I can’t get enough of this shit.

It is a mess. I'm not sure who's fault it is. You had sports morons debating it on radio always using Cam Newton or some other star as an example of why NIL (NLI whatever) was good and righteous. Then you have the courts weighing in. Some form of this was inevitable.

I don't think much of anyone spent much time considering how to regulate it. A second team TE at Texas has no literal NIL value. Same everywhere. Except for the stars on a team whose names are at least known in their communities, NIL is just salary. Everyone has already grown accustomed to speaking of it as so.

Market forces may even this out some. It will take a few years to see about that. In those few years, recruits will begin talking about their dream salary rather than their dream school. Anyway, there's no going back.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I cannot for the life of me understand how he is viewed as a high draft pick other than the fact that he played for Saban and started.

Physical traits

20 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It is a mess. I'm not sure who's fault it is. You had sports morons debating it on radio always using Cam Newton or some other star as an example of why NIL (NLI whatever) was good and righteous. Then you have the courts weighing in. Some form of this was inevitable.

I don't think much of anyone spent much time considering how to regulate it. A second team TE at Texas has no literal NIL value. Same everywhere. Except for the stars on a team whose names are at least known in their communities, NIL is just salary. Everyone has already grown accustomed to speaking of it as so.

Market forces may even this out some. It will take a few years to see about that. In those few years, recruits will begin talking about their dream salary rather than their dream school. Anyway, there's no going back.

This is dumb and you should be embarrassed for posting it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Physical traits

Your boy cites production. I guess that’s one way to see it. 20+ pass breakups in a season is what you’d expect from a guy getting picked on in a league with garbage at QB (outside of Daniels). 

I don’t get it some years and this is one. Malik Nabors a top 5 pick? His teammate Thomas in the top 10?

Every time I watched Drake Maye, which was plenty, I found myself thinking “someone is about to draft this guy in the top 5?”

Dallas Turner is going to get top 10 money. There’s not been a more recent example of a player that is solely about the money than Turner. Whoever drafts him is going to be scratching their heads about this alleged badass they drafted who struggles to do much besides disappear unless he’s committing a penalty. 

The BYU OT going in the first round. Okay then. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Your boy cites production. I guess that’s one way to see it. 20+ pass breakups in a season is what you’d expect from a guy getting picked on in a league with garbage at QB (outside of Daniels). 

I don’t get it some years and this is one. Malik Nabors a top 5 pick? His teammate Thomas in the top 10?

Every time I watched Drake Maye, which was plenty, I found myself thinking “someone is about to draft this guy in the top 5?”

Dallas Turner is going to get top 10 money. There’s not been a more recent example of a player that is solely about the money than Turner. Whoever drafts him is going to be scratching their heads about this alleged badass they drafted who struggles to do much besides disappear unless he’s committing a penalty. 

The BYU OT going in the first round. Okay then. 

The whole draft is full of dudes just like this this year. JJ Mcarthy went in the top 20 in Dane Bruglers latest mock draft...I simply cannot see it with that dude

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.