2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

41 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I think NCAA will enforce whatever the SEC and Big 10 want/allow them to enforce. Making transfers sit out a year absent a head coaching change or real family issue seems like a reasonable way to curb the rampant player poaching/transfers. Probably not a good thing for Texas since at the moment we are a net winner of the current landscape.

If it was just up the conferences, we wouldn’t be in this situation. If the NCAA tries to enforce that rule, they’ll get sued and lose in court. 

27 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I don't think that's up to the NCAA and conferences. Unlimited transfers are allowed because a court found they were in violation of antitrust laws. They'll have to find a way to do this legally before anything else. 

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If it was just up the conferences, we wouldn’t be in this situation. If the NCAA tries to enforce that rule, they’ll get sued and lose in court. 

Ah, that's my bad. I have not been keeping up with the cases. I guess it's just a safe assumption that any kind of limitation is invalid going forward until we fully shift to employee/contract mode. 

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

Agreed, except that he actually seems worse than what we have on the roster. He was a rotational guy at Texas Tech before transferring to start at Indiana in 2023. He's from NJ so it's not like he wants to come home to Texas. 

Maybe he's cheap in terms of NIL and we think he's experienced depth. But frankly he doesn't seem worth the scholarship. 

Has offers from Washington, Arizona,and LSU so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Has offers from Washington, Arizona,and LSU so far.

At the suggestion that this may not be the type of DT we're looking for in the portal, that fucking idiot hick Justin Wells countered that LSU offered him, so of course so should Texas. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If they enrolled at their new school wouldn't they have to sit out a year or is it wild west for transfers too?

Latest judge ruling said multiple transfers are fair game...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-agrees-to-temporary-injunction-granting-eligibility-for-multi-time-transfers-until-end-of-spring-sports/

U.S. District Court Judge John Bailey's temporary restraining order against the NCAA has been converted to a temporary injunction, set to last through the end of spring sports in 2024, Ohio attorney general David Yoast announced Friday

Edited by LTtxfan

22 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby said we have identified a transfer punter and will pursue in the next window.

That was definitely concerning me and keeping me up at night, and if we gonna tamper we should definitely do it for a punter. Get in his ear now!

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

NCAA has stipulated next portal window for FBS football will open Tues, April 16 and remain open for 2 weeks. 

Screenshot_20240326-184129_kindlephoto-14430266.png.59f9a636f6c45510d6dc9e3356170666.png

https://footballscoop.com/news/portal-king-lane-kiffin-has-proposal-for-really-stupid-system-in-ncaa-transfer-portal

Kiffin believes there's an opportunity to strike balance in the system but also not preclude a player from transferring -- after a full year at an institution.  Multiple personnel sources throughout college football told FootballScoop in recent weeks that discussions are underway to have players who commit to a program from the NCAA Transfer Portal sign binding paperwork for at least one year.

"I brought (having a binding agreement) up in meetings when they first went down this second (Portal calendar opening)," Kiffin told reporters. "I’m like, ‘You better make something where they've got to sign for a year’ so all these portal players that after last season go in, at least they’re signed for one year. Not one semester without playing in the offseason. 

"Would that happen in the NFL? Go sign in the offseason, get a contract, get paid and before you ever play go somewhere else. I have these rants on this thing, but because it’s really a (crappy) system. We’re going to utilize it just like the players. I’m not mad at the players, they’re going to utilize it. We’re going to make the best roster that we can, but it’s not good.”

Edited by LTtxfan

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/article/kenneth-grant-says-michigan-players-want-to-stay-together-despite-lure-of-transfer-portal-229438862/

Kenneth Grant says Michigan players ‘want to stay together’ despite lure of Transfer Portal

Michigan DT Kenneth Grant has been the subject of much Transfer Portal speculation since the Jim Harbaugh's departure to the NFL paired with the Wolverines' entire defensive coaching staff changing following the national championship run.

Posting because he's a target for the next portal opening. 

16 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I think unless something crazy happens that Michigan will be back to irrelevant on the NC level by 2026

There are a LOT of rich lawyers and finance guys that are Michigan alums. It's where the rich people in New York send their kids who they couldn't get legacy admitted into Ivies. They should not have a problem getting NIL ramped up at all. 

4 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

There are a LOT of rich lawyers and finance guys that are Michigan alums. It's where the rich people in New York send their kids who they couldn't get legacy admitted into Ivies. They should not have a problem getting NIL ramped up at all. 

But can they match Ohio Stage meth money?

7 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

Bobby was saying it may be too little too late for them on that front 

7 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

Also the occasional poor kid from rural Texas after Texas undergrad. 

Wait, is he entering the portal to try and play somewhere? Just like DeGabriel Floyd, sounds like a bad idea. I wish him the best, but now that he has his degree...nothing left to prove.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, ousux said:

Wait, is he entering the portal to try and play somewhere? Just like DeGabriel Floyd, sounds like a bad idea. I wish him the best, but now that he has his degree...nothing left to prove.

Sounds like he wants to prove he can play football so....that's not nothing

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Sounds like he wants to prove he can play football so....that's not nothing
I'm sure he can still play, you get a little rusty, but don't completely lose the ability in a few years, but that's not the question.

The real question is: should he still try to play? Obviously the Longhorn medical team didn't clear him so not sure seeking out one that will is the best idea.
  • Hook 'Em 1

you don't know shit about fuck regarding his situation or medical diagnosis. he'll do what he wants to do and I'll wish him well. 
And you do? I also wish him well, just not sure football is in his best interest.
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, ousux said:
20 minutes ago, irishtexan said:
you don't know shit about fuck regarding his situation or medical diagnosis. he'll do what he wants to do and I'll wish him well. 

And you do? I also wish him well, just not sure football is in his best interest.

I don't either. But I'm not the one playing internet dad/internet doctor in this thread. You are. 

1 hour ago, ousux said:

I'm sure he can still play, you get a little rusty, but don't completely lose the ability in a few years, but that's not the question.

The real question is: should he still try to play? Obviously the Longhorn medical team didn't clear him so not sure seeking out one that will is the best idea.

We don't know that this is true; we do know we have a very talented and crowded RB room.  He's been out too long to likely crack the code for playing time here.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

If we're being honest and talking long-term health, football is not in anyone's best interest.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

you don't know shit about fuck regarding his situation or medical diagnosis. 

I mean, we know he had a stroke. Not an unreasonable question to ask. Don’t think he or any school considering him would move forward without clearance though. 

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

You can wish him well but this response is so stupid at someone on a message board asking question about health and long term health. We do know about his medical diagnosis from when it happened. They’re valid questions to ask. Are you saying we can’t speculate on Surly? Surely you’re not. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

If we're being honest and talking long-term health, football is not in anyone's best interest.
I have a couple things from high school football that still bother me from time to time and will only get worse when I get older. Was it worth it? Absolutely...I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Most things worthwhile have some sort of cost.

6 hours ago, ousux said:
10 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

I have a couple things from high school football that still bother me from time to time and will only get worse when I get older. Was it worth it? Absolutely...I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Most things worthwhile have some sort of cost.

Bench splinters still lodged in your ass?

• Haha 7

Does this populate as a viewable post, or just a link?

https://ontexasfootball.com/forums/topic/1167-spring-football-2024-updated-scholarship-count/?do=findComment&comment=13806

If not, Gerry Hamilton posted this at the OTF site (in the same thread where the guy was de-pantsed by CTJ and RGBIII). Scholarship numbers/transfer portal activity the subjects being discussed, so I take this as good news we have a late window transfer on the way.

Two names were brought up yesterday while on campus for the recruiting event. One is a done deal in a couple of weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

https://ontexasfootball.com/forums/topic/1167-spring-football-2024-updated-scholarship-count/?do=findComment&comment=13806

If not, Gerry Hamilton posted this at the OTF site (in the same thread where the guy was de-pantsed by CTJ and RGBIII). Scholarship numbers/transfer portal activity the subjects being discussed, so I take this as good news we have a late window transfer on the way.

Two names were brought up yesterday while on campus for the recruiting event. One is a done deal in a couple of weeks. 

Was he talking about Texas players with this or ones coming in?

11 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

As in departing or incoming?

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.