2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

We just need to wait on the development of the ones we have

I agree with this unless a no-doubt guy that Flood has history with becomes available or there's more attrition than expected.

Lots of talented guys familiar with the scheme should be ready to contribute by next year. I just hope one of them can unseat Hayden Conner.

38 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I agree with this unless a no-doubt guy that Flood has history with becomes available or there's more attrition than expected.

Lots of talented guys familiar with the scheme should be ready to contribute by next year. I just hope one of them can unseat Hayden Conner.

Or maybe Hayden Conner gets better

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

He appears to be the only OL who isn't improving or at least staying the same.  He's getting worse.  You would expect to see him improving with this much experience ... it's time to move on.  How much worse can Neto be?  If they're both going to be making a lot of mistakes, at least Neto has huge athletic upside and has a chance to get better.  Campbell has improved dramatically with playing time.  Maybe Neto will too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

Shit no, I don't even watch the games, or even look at the score. I just have my wife poor me a mixed drink with an ounce of alcohol for every point we score and an ounce of mixer for every point the opponent scores. I judge player and coaching performances based on how fucked up/hungover I am.

Sounds totally legit.

53 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Do you guys actually go back and study film or something? I view the line’s success as a whole and don’t spend any time trying to diagnose the individual issues as if I have a role in fixing them. I’m not making fun of your hobby or anything, just curious.

Same here…but, for the life of me, I’m trying to figure out why, with the high quality of OL players we have, we are unable to get 1,2,3 yards when we get near the goal line.  I understand linebackers piling/jamming the line, but are we not creating space for the RB?  How about spreading the line?  Whatever we are doing is not working…..against ou, Houston, and now BYU, we’ve seemed to forget how to get a few yards…guess teams are defending us differently, so obviously adjustments need to be made.  I don’t get it.

There is someone on the football board who posts a deep dive into the OL performance done by a former coach.  He tracks things like run stuffs given up, sacks, penalties etc... The last time I looked, Conner had given up the most negative plays by a good margin.  Last year Banks was the best, closely followed by Jones. The other 3 starters were well behind and bunched together.  This year, Conner is by himself as the worst, and I think by a good margin which makes sense.  Campbell is making huge strides and Majors looks genuinely improved.   

Edited by RabidM
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Doesn't UT already have plenty of IOL either on the roster or commited in the '24 class? I always felt UT didn't have enough OTs in the '23-'24 classes

All joking aside, this is the exact kind of knowledge of the football team I would expect from Ketchum. A vague concept of maybe what was in a recruiting class, but having watched zero actual games and no understanding of what the roster looks like and team needs are…fucking fat fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

He is who he is at this point. Pretty good pass protector, useless run blocker. He does a very poor job keeping his feet moving and is generally catching opposing DL as opposed to delivering a blow. There’s not going to be a switch that flips in a fourth year player to change that.
There is someone on the football board who posts a deep dive into the OL performance done by a former coach.  He tracks things like run stuffs given up, sacks, penalties etc... The last time I looked, Conner had given up the most negative plays by a good margin.  Last year Banks was the best, closely followed by Jones. The other 3 starters were well behind and bunched together.  This year, Conner is by himself as the worst, and I think by a good margin which makes sense.  Campbell is making huge strides and Majors looks genuinely improved.   

It was Hutson that graded out the worst last year. Majors and Conner were both noticeably better. Conner is only the worst this year because Hutson hasn’t been on the field much.

On the one hand, that speaks well of DJ Campbell’s growing into a starting job. When he came in last year and was blowing assignments left and right you understood why Hutson was playing, warts and all. On the other hand, it does not speak well of the options behind Conner right now that they are not entertaining other options.

8 hours ago, TotallyLegit said:

Shit no, I don't even watch the games, or even look at the score. I just have my wife pour me a mixed drink with an ounce of alcohol for every point we score and an ounce of mixer for every point the opponent scores. I judge player and coaching performances based on how fucked up/hungover I am.

This seems like a quality system,  however I don't believe that most wives are capable or willing of this type of support for several reasons:

a) They would have to watch the game

b) They would need to understand the score and any change in said score

c) They would have to care about your sports insanity and be willing to have you be a drunken mess the rest of Saturday.  

Did you use one of the Surely Eastern European wife search engines? 

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Conner doesn’t really make a lot of obvious errors, but he’s just not a great athlete.  This isn’t like Majors who actually does have some positive mobility traits to go with the deficits in other areas.  Conner is not really mobile, and the really weird thing is how he just generates zero pop when he hits someone despite being a huge guy even by OL standards.  

Neto’s pass block grades on PFF are usually terrible albeit in limited sample sizes, but you’d have to think once other options learn their protection assignments enough to satisfy the coaches (whether it’s Neto or someone else) that we will be able to upgrade there.  

Conner makes pretty noticeable errors throughout most games, which makes me think Neto must be really unreliable if he keeps getting that much PT. 

Check out Conner on the big Blue run in the 4th quarter. The other guy is sitting in the hole with his back to the play, so Conner must have been distracting him with a conversation about space travel. Blue runs right behind them for the long TD

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Same here…but, for the life of me, I’m trying to figure out why, with the high quality of OL players we have, we are unable to get 1,2,3 yards when we get near the goal line.  I understand linebackers piling/jamming the line, but are we not creating space for the RB?  How about spreading the line?  Whatever we are doing is not working…..against ou, Houston, and now BYU, we’ve seemed to forget how to get a few yards…guess teams are defending us differently, so obviously adjustments need to be made.  I don’t get it.

Watch Conner on the 4th down attempt after Brooks was pushed out at the 1.  If he actually gets low and drives his man (who he outweighs by at least 50 lbs) backwards Brooks probably scores.  

Now, one could make the argument, why are we running to the left side of the line when we know Conner is a poor run blocker and Campbell and Jones are much better at moving their man off the line.  But who are we to question the genius play caller?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, gurt said:

Watch Conner on the 4th down attempt after Brooks was pushed out at the 1.  If he actually gets low and drives his man (who he outweighs by at least 50 lbs) backwards Brooks probably scores.  

Now, one could make the argument, why are we running to the left side of the line when we know Conner is a poor run blocker and Campbell and Jones are much better at moving their man off the line.  But who are we to question the genius play caller?

I can understand the idea that Sark isn't the "genius" he's propped up to be as a play caller, but I don't think that's the right criticism. Imo, he's often calling the right plays and scheming mismatches against the right guys, but he's way too agnostic with his own o-line personnel. He didn't give a flying fuck who the RG was on that play - only that whoever it was has a 50lb advantage and should do their job. 

It's why I think he was most successful at Alabama, and assuming the recruiting parity remains, I don't think we'll see another cfb team like those Alabama powerhouses in a long time. He has to adjust to marry mismatches with our strengths on the line and not just exploit the biggest mismatch

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/29/2023 at 11:37 PM, TotallyLegit said:

Shit no, I don't even watch the games, or even look at the score. I just have my wife pour me a mixed drink with an ounce of alcohol for every point we score and an ounce of mixer for every point the opponent scores. I judge player and coaching performances based on how fucked up/hungover I am.

User name definitely checks out 

So, second year back Ollie Gordon (OSU) is terrific. Backs that good need to get to the NFL ASAP, to start earning before they quickly age out. 

Does he portal this year? OTOH, he fits OSU and knows the team, knows the system. I’m sure they will give him the most NIL if he stays. 

OTOH, I’m sure guys like Kiffin are tampering, contacting him and trying to woo him into the portal. There are teams that can pay him more, and give him a higher profile. 

Wouldn’t there be a bidding war for him?

35 minutes ago, statsman said:

So, second year back Ollie Gordon (OSU) is terrific. Backs that good need to get to the NFL ASAP, to start earning before they quickly age out. 

Does he portal this year? OTOH, he fits OSU and knows the team, knows the system. I’m sure they will give him the most NIL if he stays. 

OTOH, I’m sure guys like Kiffin are tampering, contacting him and trying to woo him into the portal. There are teams that can pay him more, and give him a higher profile. 

Probably, particularly because Gundy is openly anti-NIL. Hard to put monetary value on the life lessons Gordon is currently learning about how good things were before social media made players soft though. 

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, statsman said:

I hope we’re tampering with Nick Martin, dude is a tackling machine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/29/2023 at 11:51 PM, Atticus said:

No-doubt offensive linemen generally don't hit the portal. They're all starters already. 

36 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

47/873/5 line this season. 58/1132/9 over two years. Big, tall kid (6-4 200) from Azle. Had a rough life growing up.

https://www.bronconationnews.com/eric-mcalister-found-people-who-care-about-him-and-now-hes-thriving-at-boise-state/

In addition to being very big, he also looks pretty damn fast and seems to have solid hands. Maybe we'd be interested in targeting McAlister as a replacement for Mitchell since he's probably gone after this year? 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

In addition to being very big, he also looks pretty damn fast and seems to have solid hands. Maybe we'd be interested in targeting McAlister as a replacement for Mitchell since he's probably gone after this year? 

With the way he's playing, absolutely. He's proven he's a definite redzone threat. His blocking leaves a lot to be desired, but his stats are good. 37/576/8 @ 15.6 ypc in 9 games. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
Spelling n shit
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

With the way he's playing, absolutely. He's proven he's a definite redzone threat. His blocking leaves a lot to be desired, but his stats are good. 37/576/8 @ 15.6 ypc in 9 games. 

You know who else's blocking also leaves a lot to be desired? Adonai Mitchell.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

You know who else's blocking also leaves a lot to be desired? Adonai Mitchell.

That's...who I was talking about. Hence me replying to @campcrunk when he brought up about Mitchell leaving and I laid out his stats as to why he's having a great year, but his blocking leaves a lot to be desired. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.