2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

15 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

question - what's the policy on posting subcription only info from there? I don't plan on doing it, but I (or anyone) could forget they're in subcribers only posts.

Same as it ever was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Tapping Out
21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hanging onto Gullette shouldn't even be an issue, but the new staff structure and expanded roles for folks is leaving the impression that some folks are overwhelmed and Texas is at risk of losing some players they really shouldn't and don't want to lose.

This is regarding losing Glasscock?

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I am taking bets right now for anyone who wants to have a go of it regarding Shedeur Sanders going in the top 3. Name your wager and I’ll take the other side. 

Fwiw, the 2025 QB draft class is as bad a class as you will ever see. It’s Ewers, Carson Beck (lol), and Shedeur as the only not garbage prospects.

32 minutes ago, texifornia said:

What a bust

And there's a familiar name

These posts about familiar names from the past who seemed like great prospects illustrates the futility of projecting future line-ups based on recruit ratings and even evaluations. 

When Mack got here, I used to feel sorry for all the starters that would soon be displaced by the incoming players of a highly ranked recruiting class. I overestimated the impact.  You really don't know who will pan out and who won't. You also can't be sure of how a mediocre starter on campus may improve over a year.

I like to follow recruiting and delight in getting highly ranked players. I don't assume that I can guess how they'll turn out.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Fwiw, the 2025 QB draft class is as bad a class as you will ever see. It’s Ewers, Carson Beck (lol), and Shedeur as the only not garbage prospects.

You're saying that with certainty, from a year out. Do you understand how silly that looks? Also, do you think you're breaking news with something like this? I probably 800+ CFB games a year. 

This time last season, Daniels, McCarthy, Penix, and Nix were on no one's 1st round list, if on the list at all. Spencer Rattler was projected to go #1 overall heading into his year 3 season. Sam Howell was anointed in a similar fashion.

Some guys will rise. Shedeur Sanders is already falling. This Colorado team is going to struggle to be better than 2-10. Let's see that idiot stay healthy while not making a fool of himself by constantly running his mouth, along with his dad doing the same. If he pulls those things off, maybe he goes in the first 2 rounds. The halo effecting of this guy as a top of the line QB was laughable last season and it is even more laughable now.

15 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

These posts about familiar names from the past who seemed like great prospects illustrates the futility of projecting future line-ups based on recruit ratings and even evaluations. 

When Mack got here, I used to feel sorry for all the starters that would soon be displaced by the incoming players of a highly ranked recruiting class. I overestimated the impact.  You really don't know who will pan out and who won't. You also can't be sure of how a mediocre starter on campus may improve over a year.

I like to follow recruiting and delight in getting highly ranked players. I don't assume that I can guess how they'll turn out.

I don't think calling Brown a "bust" is fair by @texifornia. It's not like any of us were projecting him to be a starter during his recruitment. I think you can follow recruiting and project them within reason and the understanding that any single player is always a wild card and can never be considered a sure thing.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

All true.  There are pure busts.

Then there are guys who are very, very talented that bust for other reasons like injuries or having their heads in their asses.  Mack had a bunch of NFL talents like that.  Brian Pickryl, Michael Williams, Robert Timmons, Erik Hardeman, Edorian McCullough, Marco Martin, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn’t Pickryl have a disintegrating shoulder which helped sideline his football career? Now he’s a successful hospital admin. The other kid from Oklahoma selling drugs was a washout, don’t recall if that was the end of Mack or Charlie era. Edited to clarify Leitao was early Mensa.

Edited by Vito Andolini

Just now, Frank Drebin said:

All true.  There are pure busts.

Then there are guys who are very, very talented that bust for other reasons like injuries or having their heads in their asses.  Mack had a bunch of NFL talents like that.  Brian Pickryl, Michael Williams, Robert Timmons, Erik Hardeman, Edorian McCullough, Marco Martin, etc.

Good lord. Some of those names are disturbing to recall. 

Timmons had something like a borderline personality disorder. I don't even want to know how things wound up for that poor bastard.

Hardeman - didn't he commit a felony or two? I can't remember but I feel like whatever he did was a non-trivial crime.

Marco Martin got busted as a molester or some shit.

McCullough pulled the Bluto Blutarsky, right? Or maybe it was another highly ranked DB from that 1999 class? One of them did it and disappeared. Maybe I'm thinking of Kendrick Turner.

Sonny Davis anyone? Paul Broussard (never signed, but damn)? I don't remember how either guy died but they were viewed as big time talents who couldn't get out of their own way, that Texas needed badly, and that both died violently.

Andre Jones and Robert Joseph. We know things didn't go well at all for Jones, who was corrupted while running around with Joseph, a known malcontent. If I'm not katfidding, and I don't think I am, things have gone predictably for Joseph:

https://www.panews.com/2021/10/22/pd-groves-driver-had-drugs-gun-5-month-old-child/

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/crime/portarthur/article/Affidavit-PA-man-fled-shooting-in-car-with-2-11284265.php

Fuck that piece of shit. It was the shit with those last two idiots that led to Mack Brown deciding that he would only recruit "good kids who graduate", which essentially meant a bunch of choir boys with very little backbone. Self-selecting out of the state's premium talent was an awesome decision.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Didn’t Pickryl have a disintegrating shoulder which helped sideline his football career? Now he’s a successful hospital admin. The other kid from Oklahoma selling drugs was a washout, don’t recall if that was the end of Mack or Charlie era. Edited to clarify Leitao was early Mensa.

The biggest contributor from Oklahoma from the Mack era through Herman's tenure was probably Adam Doiron. He's from Nacogdoches but grew up in Oklahoma. He was a contributor at Texas on the DL and was a nonsense guy in the locker room. Not sure if I am missing anyone else. We could argue that Thompson, for Sarkisian, played a bigger role. Feel like I'm forgetting someone. 

And, of course, the big one that Texas missed on, Wes Sims, who led to one of funniest things I've ever seen in my time online following the horns.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I'm curious about this too.

Should be obvious, guys. They promoted several folks and expanded their roles, not the least of whom is Brandon Harris. Sarkisian handled the whole thing in ways that smack of overconfidence in the wrong people on that end. Let's all see how it sorts itself out, but there is real risk on some significant fuck ups that can only be classified as unforced errors.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good lord. Some of those names are disturbing to recall. 

Timmons had something like a borderline personality disorder. I don't even want to know how things wound up for that poor bastard.

Hardeman - didn't he commit a felony or two? I can't remember but I feel like whatever he did was a non-trivial crime.

Marco Martin got busted as a molester or some shit.

McCullough pulled the Bluto Blutarsky, right? Or maybe it was another highly ranked DB from that 1999 class? One of them did it and disappeared. Maybe I'm thinking of Kendrick Turner.

Sonny Davis anyone? Paul Broussard (never signed, but damn)? I don't remember how either guy died but they were viewed as big time talents who couldn't get out of their own way, that Texas needed badly, and that both died violently.

Andre Jones and Robert Joseph. We know things didn't go well at all for Jones, who was corrupted while running around with Joseph, a known malcontent. If I'm not katfidding, and I don't think I am, things have gone predictably for Joseph:

https://www.panews.com/2021/10/22/pd-groves-driver-had-drugs-gun-5-month-old-child/

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/crime/portarthur/article/Affidavit-PA-man-fled-shooting-in-car-with-2-11284265.php

Fuck that piece of shit. It was the shit with those last two idiots that led to Mack Brown deciding that he would only recruit "good kids who graduate", which essentially meant a bunch of choir boys with very little backbone. Self-selecting out of the state's premium talent was an awesome decision.

Williams, the LB/pass rusher from Lindale is the one I think might have been a NFL All Pro had he kept his head on straight.  He was basically a Von Miller clone.  My recollection is he got upset about a girl and just quit going to class and team functions.

Andre Jones is probably a multiple year NFL guy and productive citizen had he not been corrupted by Robert Joseph.

McCullough was like already 21 or something when he got on campus.  Think he just was not very academically gifted, to say the least.  But he could have been an All American.

Timmons had a very tough upbringing.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

This fucking thread, man

22egmt.gif

Either go away for a while until the dust has settled or buckle up.

I don't think talking about decade+ old recruits and failures is the same as lamenting old losses and stuff. Part of why most of us follow recruiting is that the talent acquisition side of things involves character evaluations and the aftermath reviews of those are interesting.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Should be obvious, guys. They promoted several folks and expanded their roles, not the least of whom is Brandon Harris. Sarkisian handled the whole thing in ways that smack of overconfidence in the wrong people on that end. Let's all see how it sorts itself out, but there is real risk on some significant fuck ups that can only be classified as unforced errors.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Williams, the LB/pass rusher from Lindale is the one I think might have been a NFL All Pro had he kept his head on straight.  He was basically a Von Miller clone.  My recollection is he got upset about a girl and just quit going to class and team functions.

Andre Jones is probably a multiple year NFL guy and productive citizen had he not been corrupted by Robert Joseph.

McCullough was like already 21 or something when he got on campus.  Think he just was not very academically gifted, to say the least.  But he could have been an All American.

Timmons had a very tough upbringing.

That's right on McCullough. I think Turner was the 0.0 guy. Aaron Ross is the mirror image to EM. The NCAA really tried to fuck him on technicalities. Glad he and Texas stuck with it, as he became a longhorn great. Hopefully his kids are as amazing as their bloodline and come play at Texas in whatever sports they're excelling.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Searles being director of recruiting just seems bad on the surface. I wonder if that is something Gilbert could slide into at some point?

Searles or the position? Or both?

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I feel like McCullough was just an insanely fast guy (one of the fastest we've ever had), who just wasn't actually that good at football.

He was good at football.  He played a lot for a true freshman on a good defense.  He would have played a lot the next few years also.  He just could not or would not pass his classes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Man that's a walk down memory lane, that 2002 class was something to behold.

Even with these misses it still produced Vince Young, Selvin Young, Justin Blalock, Brian Robison, Aaron Ross, Lyle Sendlein, Kasey Studdard, David Thomas, and Rod Wright.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

He seemed like a good kid. Recruited hard for us in the '22 class and was all-in on Texas. Hope he figures it out. 

There is just something about those vocal peer recruiters on social media that never seem to work out. Jalen Milroe, Brown, Kirkland. Bobby Taylor at ATM. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Looks like he did ok for himself...at least as of 2021.  Good for him.  

Former Texas prep football star Robert Timmons defies toughest of odds, emerges as a flourishing entrepreneur

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Williams, the LB/pass rusher from Lindale is the one I think might have been a NFL All Pro had he kept his head on straight. 

there it is.  I was waiting for someone to come in with that. 

15 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

There is just something about those vocal peer recruiters on social media that never seem to work out. Jalen Milroe, Brown, Kirkland. Bobby Taylor at ATM. 

It works out sometimes. Omenihu was as big of a vocal peer recruiter as I can remember, and he over-performed and is now an impact player in the NFL. 

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Hook 'Em 4

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.