2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

How so?

Find one post of mine where I wanted either Bear or Nolan as a Longhorn?  Hell, I was even meh about Williams.  I like who we have.

Allow me to scroll up for you

58 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Bobby should probably back away from some of his grand proclamations.  He may be confusing why people watch his content.  His viewership is probably up and has much more to do with team’s success and very little to with his opinions.  I don’t hate Booby but some of the things he says leaves me scratching my head. 

In reply...

41 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Who's much higher than Savea and Norton? Were they not two of the top DT transfer candidates out there? 

To which I replied with a small selection of "top DT transfer candidates" that would be regarded higher than Savea and Norton, both. The circumstances in which they entered and exited the portal are not relevant to the reply.

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Allow me to scroll up for you

In reply...

To which I replied with a small selection of "top DT transfer candidates" that would be regarded higher than Savea and Norton, both. The circumstances in which they entered and exited the portal are not relevant to the reply.

I took @mwaadeeb's post to mean folks we were actively recruiting.  I didn't know we went after Bear, so that was my bad, Tioa was in the portal for like 4-5 days before announcing he was staying at UCLA, so we never really had a shot at him, and Nolan...never in on his recruitment.

Furthermore, I'm not sure Bear or Nolan are better than either Savea or Norton.  More talented, sure, more productive...I have my doubts.

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Nick Cannon is a brilliant actor.  You should easily be able to understand the scene with just a look at that face.

He should win an oscar for acting like he put on a condom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Caldwell as well. Who is definitely better than the Arizona dudes.Not much we could do there though.

I'll happily take the abuse this fall, but I think people will be surprised how well the Arizona guys play at UT.  

I think at least one of them gets drafted.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Unless you are a psychopath, no one with kids would say shit like that to another parent. Nor should they. 

5HO.gif

Fuck yo kids. They ain't special and I ain't gotta treat them or a parent otherwise. Respect my choice is a mantra for idoits.

Don't want to hear it about your spoiled brat? Don't raise morons.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I'll happily take the abuse this fall, but I think people will be surprised how well the Arizona guys play at UT.  

I think at least one of them gets drafted.

I think they’ll be fine and I’m not worried about DL overall. There were just better prospects on the board. The Arizona duo made paying those prospects prices unnecessary.

Bobby needs to tap the brakes. Last years team had 11 draft picks and was a few plays/calls away that would have made us 9-3/8-4. Seven win Steve can make an appearance anytime if there’s not enough talent to mask the questionable play calling/rotations that occurs 

• Fuck You 30

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I think they’ll be fine and I’m not worried about DL overall. There were just better prospects on the board. The Arizona duo made paying those prospects prices unnecessary.

Yeah, I'm way more excited that we got Jayvion...

Anyway, for shits and grins, I looked up the PFF grades for last season

Bear - 74.4

Savea - 77.6

Norton - 69.5

Add in much better edge play and I think these guys will show out.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I never understood taking Blackshire or their plans for him. My best guess is that Banks wanted him for special teams, and the Texas staff sold him on a chance to play Mike. When he figured out Mike wasn’t happening, he bounced. 

Literally. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I am far more interested in "here's what the coaches are doing/thinking about the roster" than I am in "here's what I think about the roster".

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

They can't supply the first one.  So you're SOL

BT is not SOL.  BT, have one of these for your post (not going to tell you where I got it).

image.png

Edited by SaucyJack

36 minutes ago, HillCountryBevo said:

Bobby needs to tap the brakes. Last years team had 11 draft picks and was a few plays/calls away that would have made us 9-3/8-4. Seven win Steve can make an appearance anytime if there’s not enough talent to mask the questionable play calling/rotations that occurs 

Isnt that most coaches?? 

56 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

5HO.gif

Fuck yo kids. They ain't special and I ain't gotta treat them or a parent otherwise. Respect my choice is a mantra for idoits.

Don't want to hear it about your spoiled brat? Don't raise morons.

Ok. 

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Somebody please explain to me how this guy didn't get Power 5 offers out of HS?

Oakland HS football is awful, violent dogshit.  Virtually all of the talent gets siphoned off to the local Catholic schools (of which there are many in the area).  There is an occasional fringe P5 guy that gets picked up but the last star I can remember was Marshawn Lynch.  Probs been 1 or 2 since but a lot flame out because of grades too.  OAL is...not strong academically

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Unless you are a psychopath, no one with kids would say shit like that to another parent. Nor should they. But given you nearly hyperventilated at the thought of not getting another dt, I’m strongly considering you might be on the spectrum 

You walked into that one man; take the loss, pussy.

And for the record, there is some insane hot tail at Arkansas. Always has been…

1 hour ago, HillCountryBevo said:

rainbow brite animation GIF

8 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Nick Cannon is a brilliant actor.  You should easily be able to understand the scene with just a look at that face.

Wasnt he diddyed?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zhorn96 said:

Oakland HS football is awful, violent dogshit.  Virtually all of the talent gets siphoned off to the local Catholic schools (of which there are many in the area).  There is an occasional fringe P5 guy that gets picked up but the last star I can remember was Marshawn Lynch.  Probs been 1 or 2 since but a lot flame out because of grades too.  OAL is...not strong academically

Bullshit, that's a generalization...and bordering on racist....his team won the state title in their classification.

He was named Oakland Athletics League player of the Year...a league that has produced 47 NFL players, including 5 Collegiate Hall of Fame players, so somebody is recruiting there.

As for academics, I bet they're not rated any lower than schools in the Dallas or Houston ISDs...and he was an honor student.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Bullshit, that's a generalization...and bordering on racist....his team won the state title in their classification.

He was named Oakland Athletics League player of the Year...a league that has produced 47 NFL players, including 5 Collegiate Hall of Fame players, so somebody is recruiting there.

As for academics, I bet they're not rated any lower than schools in the Dallas or Houston ISDs...and he was an honor student.

To clarify, Zhorn is a Cal fan on the side - I'm pretty sure he'd know.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

To clarify, Zhorn is a Cal fan on the side - I'm pretty sure he'd know.

Being a California fan doesn't mean you can make generalizations like that.  He doesn't know Jayvion's situation any better than we do.  

Talented kids get recruited from crappy schools all the time.  And when you win the State title and are basically named the MVP of the league and are an honor student it doesn't track.

If the coaches slept on him that's one thing, but I can't abide by disparaging an entire district because "most of the talent" goes to Catholic School.

Dude allowed zero completions against the #1 draft pick.

Plus, after reading up on him, and watching that video, I'm probably a little defensive of him.  He's been through a lot, and I can't wait to watch him play for the Horns.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Will face a familiar name week 1.

If by "face" him, you mean he'll be on the opposing sidelines, then yes. He won't see the field against us unless it's on special teams.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Will face a familiar name week 1.

34 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

His nickname checks out. "Badguy" has 8 receptions in 2 years at Baylor.

Not that familiar

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Uhh ok, I grew up there, dude.  Maybe it has changed in the past however many years but Oakland Tech and Skyline are the only academic schools worth a shit and they’re nothing special.  And OAL football is fucking godawful, dunno if they still do it but they used to play the SF public school champion as their “bowl” and the only thing that sucks worse than the OAL is SF public school football.  If you’ll note who Texas is recruiting out there, it’s all private school guys outside of Jones out in the rich folks area in the East Bay.

And I wasn’t commenting on our new guy.  The question was asked why no one wanted him… the OAL is largely ignored by recruiters since it sucks and my academic comment was directed towards all the “good kids” fleeing to the plethora of catholic schools in the area. Oakland high, Castlemont, Mcclymonds and Fremont are an absolute beating.  McClymonds has a wall with barbed wire around it for fucks sake.

so calm the fuck down, k thanks

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Anyway, I apologize to @Zhorn96.  I think I was hangry and took out my aggression on him, but I've eaten something now and feel better.  Carry on.

All good man, I’ve been there.  Like I said in my previous post, wasn’t talking about our guy just why he might have been overlooked

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, HillCountryBevo said:

Handful of slapdicks here that can put seven win steve moniker to bed…. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Same reason Trey Moore didn’t?

Wadlington said he used to live in the Bay Area, and Cole’s HS was a regional non-factor. Late bloomer, overlooked area, maybe HScoaches not as aggressive in promotion of players to college as Texas coaches…

16 hours ago, DixonHur said:

"I've actually lived this, chapter and ... you know ... "

- Jared Verse

"Holy goToledo Rockets!!"

- Quinyon Mitchell

"Whatt??"

- JJ Watt

"You can kiss my Butte!! Must be a ... conspiracy!!"

- Aaron Rodgers

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

TIL calling a school bad at football is borderline racist. I’ve got a lot of apologizing to do to the black people in my life for my posts in the aggy thread 

YIL, if work has you in a bad mood, and you're hangry you shouldn't post on Surly.

Apologies all around.

Color me an over zealous Jayvion fan...not just in football, but it's hard not to root for the kid the more you learn about him.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OTF

I have been told UTSA is trending for a trio of former Texas players – linebackers Kendrick Blackshire and S'Maje Burrell, as well as cornerback Terrance Brooks

"We woulda fucked you in the ass Saturday, September 7th. We fuck you in the ass Saturday. September 14th instead. WOO!!!" - Jesus Quintana (paraphrased)

image.png.477b692a20fd5b69604f2160bcb579b6.png

57 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OTF

I have been told UTSA is trending for a trio of former Texas players – linebackers Kendrick Blackshire and S'Maje Burrell, as well as cornerback Terrance Brooks. 

Terrance Brooks really chose poorly on this one- huh?  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Terrance Brooks really chose poorly on this one- huh?  

Imagine asking for a guaranteed spot as a starter and money and ending up at UTSA. I’m guessing his NIL deal won’t match what he was getting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Imagine asking for a guaranteed spot as a starter and money and ending up at UTSA. I’m guessing his NIL deal won’t match what he was getting. 

I imagine following the Spring game that he got an as it stands now Holmes and Muhammad are the starters speech and that didn't sit well.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk