2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

by 2019, Trump-- bored, furious, ever-unpredictable-- will declare the Republican party SAD, LOSERS, DON'T WANT TO MAGA.

Trump will flip reality, and vie for the Democrat nomination. He'll win it too. IT HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE SO I DID IT. SUCK IT LOSERS.

Heads explode as millions of Republicans declare they will NEVER vote for that libtard Trump now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Thats what Senators currently running for reelection always say. Doesnt mean much. The mind changes. 

Yes and no. In Gillibrand’s case she has no political reason to commit to her six year term.  She’s not going to lose her Senate seat by being noncommittal about a 2020 presidential run.

I actually think she’s serious here and people that are running for President in 2020 have already made up their mind to run by this time.

However, Gillibrand is a notorious flip flopper so you could also be correct.

Do I assume avenatti is out given Lawsuit issue and irs along with his comment that the dem nomination had to be a white male?

Also, probably for the media bias thread, but Time sat on that quote for 4 months. Assume they didn’t want to discredit him while he was battling against Kavanaugh

In 2007-2008 I don't think Obama was actually running for President.  I think he was running for Vice President.  He looked made to order to be Hillary's running mate.  But the move-on.org crowd HATED her and basically anointed Obama as their guy.  It fell into his lap.  For a long time I think he assumed that he would turn into a pumpkin when the clock hit midnight but it didn't and then he really caught fire.

I think the "VP strategy" is really the path a lot take.  They don't think 2020 is their year.

I think Gillibrand is looking at the VP spot.  She won't go to Iowa and New Hampshire.  But she'll be campaigning for VP.  Watch.

11 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Do I assume avenatti is out given Lawsuit issue and irs along with his comment that the dem nomination had to be a white male?

Also, probably for the media bias thread, but Time sat on that quote for 4 months. Assume they didn’t want to discredit him while he was battling against Kavanaugh

Perhaps. I also think he should never be considered. I also think he is right. I’m happy he said it. Sadly in this country nothing really means anything until a white guy says or does it. I have said it several times across this board. A white male is who can beat Trump or whatever other white male the republicans put up in 2020. A minority or woman not so much. It is the reality of America today. I’ve accepted this while hoping this won’t always be the case in this country.

Imagine a Latino or African American would have proposed all of Bernie’s policies. Imagine these were Obama’s ideas. Higher minimum wage, health care for all, free college, his ideas on immigration, his non interventionist foreign policy etc etc. You think Bernie catches a lot of heat in this country for his ideas? You think Obama would have been elected POTUS with these ideas? A minority would have been shot. At the very least not given any attention or shouted down from the very beginning by you guessed it white people. Good thing white people at least listen to other white people. Especially old white men. Good thing there are some white people willing to do what they think is right for everyone.

On 10/28/2018 at 9:45 AM, Lobo said:

Wow, Biden would be 90 years old at the end of his second term.  

This is why I believe the best way democrats win the election is this:

Declare that Biden's only running for a 4 year term like Polk. 

1.) Gets endorsement from Obama

2.) Can go toe-to-toe w/ Trump and cut into his blue collar appeal

3.) Peels enough resonable Repubs to make it a winnable strategy

4.) Appeases the ultra left enough for no open party rebellion w/ a liberal VP (he could die you know.....)

5.) Makes restoring America back to baseline his one and only priority.

6.) Allows for a deeper bench of Dem's by allowing the next gen to gain experience and name recognition

7.) Sets up for an epic 2024 w/ the possibility that Trump tries to run again (most likely as independent / 3rd party circa Wallace in 1968)

Number 7 effectively breaks the Repulbican coalition as we've know it for a generation.

The next generation of politics in the US begins with no more boomers running for President and shifting alliances within the parties.

Edited by Dnaguy

Not sure if serious about history...Presidents who've openly said they were only running for one term and would not pursue any additional elections weren't taken very seriously in their first term because nobody gave a shit about working with them because they knew they'd be going away.  Also, the fact they don't exist has also made them hard to work with historically.  The handful that didn't run for re-election were forced out by their own parties or death/murder.  FDR, every Democrat's favorite president, knew the only thing more power-aggregating than winning a second term was running twice more and overreaching in vast amounts across all sections of life in our nation.  

I think I'd like second-term lame-duck, 88 year old Joe Biden.  But I could see even the most ardent Democrats leaving his camp to back a primary candidate who can stay awake. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 1:54 PM, Dnaguy said:

This is why I believe the best way democrats win the election is this:

Declare that Biden's only running for a 4 year term like Polk. 

1.) Gets endorsement from Obama

2.) Can go toe-to-toe w/ Trump and cut into his blue collar appeal

3.) Peels enough resonable Repubs to make it a winnable strategy

4.) Appeases the ultra left enough for no open party rebellion w/ a liberal VP (he could die you know.....)

5.) Makes restoring America back to baseline his one and only priority.

6.) Allows for a deeper bench of Dem's by allowing the next gen to gain experience and name recognition

7.) Sets up for an epic 2024 w/ the possibility that Trump tries to run again (most likely as independent / 3rd party circa Wallace in 1968)

Number 7 effectively breaks the Repulbican coalition as we've know it for a generation.

The next generation of politics in the US begins with no more boomers running for President and shifting alliances within the parties.

Or Sherrod Brown could run and do basically the same things D's would expect from Biden - only at a more palatable 68 years old.

The current generation of democrats got pantsed by Trump, both in the last election and in the midterms.  The Dems taking the house in the fashion they did was the equivalent of a 7 point victory by Texas over New Mexico State.  Pelosi's speech after it became clear that the Dems had the house was the most uninspiring regurgitation of shit we've all heard before that has amounted to nothing substantive.  I never felt more afraid for our future than listening to her speech, because it signaled to me that the Dems have learned little-if-anything from the last two election cycles.  I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Dems are going to need to have some turnover at the top to effectively thwart the GOP menace.

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

The current generation of democrats got pantsed by Trump, both in the last election and in the midterms.  The Dems taking the house in the fashion they did was the equivalent of a 7 point victory by Texas over New Mexico State.  Pelosi's speech after it became clear that the Dems had the house was the most uninspiring regurgitation of shit we've all heard before that has amounted to nothing substantive.  I never felt more afraid for our future than listening to her speech, because it signaled to me that the Dems have learned little-if-anything from the last two election cycles.  I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Dems are going to need to have some turnover at the top to effectively thwart the GOP menace.

This is a bad take. It was the Democrats' biggest gain in the House since Watergate. 

Okay from what I gather there are about three camps here:

1.  Independent/conservative leaners that want someone like Biden, Hickenlooper, Landrieu.  Yes, we get it.  You want the guy that most looks and sounds like a centrist republican.  While there’s plenty of valid reasons to go this way, child please. 

2.  True blue progressive Democrats that have been fighting for a real change agent with experience.  The Bernie bros and Elizabeth Warrens play well with this group. These are the candidates that can fundamentally change the Democratic Party.

3. The people for the unfamiliar outsider to galvanize the electorate enough to defeat Trump. They play well with target demographics and have a youthful appeal.  Beto, Gilum, Avenatti, Harris, Booker.

I’m pulling for some combination of 2 and 3.