2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

28 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I want this ticket to go full milktoast and Liz isn't milktoast.

Since we can't afford to lose Liz in the Senate, how about Rep. Katie Porter:

As a Consumer Protection Attorney, Katie Porter has spent nearly twenty years fighting powerful interests and Wall Street banks on behalf of consumers and families. She’s a national leader in consumer protection and has won big victories against financial institutions who cheat consumers.

Before the housing bubble burst, Katie was one of the first to sound the alarm about Wall Street’s predatory practices targeting homeowners, winning recognition from the New York Times and many others.

In 2012, then California Attorney General Kamala Harris appointed Katie to be California’s watchdog against the banks. The banks had promised to pay billions to homeowners they cheated, and Harris appointed Katie to make sure the banks followed through. Katie and her team held the banks’ feet to the fire, securing over $18 billion and helping tens of thousands of families move forward with their lives.

As an advocate, Katie has sought reforms that help families get a fair shake in our economy. She has been a key player in the fight against abusive credit card fees and, in 2010, helped pass important federal credit card protections for families. She has written three books that document how Washington special interests skew our laws and cut off the legal rights of families who play by the rules.

Katie’s is a mom to three wonderful children. They live in Irvine, where she is a long-time Cubmaster in her sons’ cub scout pack. Katie is a tenured Professor of Law at University of California Irvine and teaches consumer law.

Why I'm Running

I’m running for Congress to hold Donald Trump and the powerful special interests in Washington accountable on behalf of Orange County families. I will stand with Orange County families 100% of the time. 

Much of my work as a consumer advocate has centered around the housing crisis that rocked Orange County and many other parts of the country. Before the crisis, I was one of the first to sound the alarm about how the biggest Wall Street banks were preying on homeowners. And when the crisis hit, I was appointed by Attorney General Kamala Harris to work directly with California families who were cheated by the five biggest Wall Street banks.

The five banks had promised to help homeowners who had been harmed, and it was my job to hold the banks’ feet to the fire. My team won thousands of victories against the banks, forcing them to pay billions to families. And our work helped tens of thousands of families move forward with their lives.

But for so many families across the country, the harm had already been done. Politicians in Washington bailed out the banks in a matter of days, but middle-class families waited years for help from Washington — help that never came.

Eight years after the crash, Orange County families still find themselves stuck. Profits again are surging for financial institutions and Wall Street, but middle-class wages are stagnant. And the cost of things that matter most for families — affording preschool, sending your kid to college, saving for retirement — are skyrocketing, while the high cost of housing in Orange County is pushing families to the brink.

California families have a deep desire to move up the economic ladder and provide financial security for their loved ones. But too often, families who play by the rules still find themselves at the mercy of a system that favors powerful special interests who can buy influence in Washington.

Now, Donald Trump and Congresswoman Mimi Walters are making that reality worse. Time and again, Walters has sided with Trump and Washington special interests at our families’ expense.

Congresswoman Mimi Walters led the fight to pass Donald Trump's tax bill that slashes Medicare and raises taxes on middle-class families while cutting taxes for wealthy corporations. Walters voted for and enthusiastically supported Donald Trump’s health care plan that would have eliminated health coverage for 24 million Americans. She repeatedly voted with Wall Street banks to repeal key consumer protections, and she sided with Trump and Big Oil companies to roll back clean air rules and environmental standards. In fact, Walters has voted with Trump 99% of the time.

We need leaders in Congress who will stand up to Donald Trump. I’m running to continue the work I’ve always done – to take on the powerful special interests on behalf of our families. I hope you will join me!

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't understand the appeal of Klobuchar at all.  AT ALL.  She's a boring, mean, white woman who talks to people as if they were idiots.

When you point a finger at somebody, a lot more fingers are pointing back at you.

And since you're full of energy, I guess you're about to tell me your room is clean.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What is the point of crossing out the name when the persons says my sister Tulsi?

Tulsi my sister you are older than me
Do you still feel the pain of the scars that won't heal?
Your eyes have died, but you see more than I
Tulsi you're a star in the face of the sky

• Like 1

Bernie is using his fundraising machine to raise money for charities in the crisis and is extremely active in his leadership.

Because he's a leader.

A leader would recognize that ending his candidacy, that has no chance of success, would potentially save thousands of lives by making it easier to achieve social distancing by not having to go to the polls for the primaries.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:
1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:
The only thing I cared about on the ballot. Only thing I voted on.

So you didn't vote on the local elections? lol

Poster you responded to is talking about people like me that only vote for Presidential nominee. You LOL all you want. The poster's argument is that Bernie is no leader if he is going to make people that are only interested in the Presidential Primary go out and vote. Maybe you think folks like me don't deserve to vote but it is my American right to vote for who I want and only for the things I care about. Even though I used mine in a limited fashion I still did more than a ton of people do with their right. Bernie lost in Texas due to people like me 😉

As a quasi centrist / progressive Gen-X'er that leans slightly more progressive, I'm just hoping the young'uns learn from our mistake of raising hell in front of the national convention.

but I'm not holding out hope.  We're fucking doomed.

And fuck all y'all that say cargo shorts were never in style.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Like 2

Poster you responded to is talking about people like me that only vote for Presidential nominee. You LOL all you want. The poster's argument is that Bernie is no leader if he is going to make people that are only interested in the Presidential Primary go out and vote. Maybe you think folks like me don't deserve to vote but it is my American right to vote for who I want and only for the things I care about. Even though I used mine in a limited fashion I still did more than a ton of people do with their right. Bernie lost in Texas due to people like me
Nice defensive rant.

You miss the point. While I do think it's funny that you felt the need to vote only on the thing that is probably the least consequential to your community, the actual point is that these ballots have a lot of things on them beyond the presidential nomination contest.

We should not have in-person elections until the CDC's guidance matches the reality of polling places. We should do remote voting until then. No candidates should be lying about the CDC's recommendations on national TV in order to boost GOTV.

8 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It was a real treat watching Warren criticize Pete for having a wine cave fundraiser, where every donation was disclosed and none were above the $2800 primary limit, and to now see a wealthy megadonor gave Liz $14.5 million through a SuperPAC. 

How the hell is this woman maxed out to Joe fucking Arpaio??

On 3/20/2020 at 11:24 AM, Rougarou said:

Everybody or just poor people who make less than $80k or whatever? Asking for a friend.

So is it the Corona bonus for those whose sole income was already the US government (*excluding government employee and normal Social security benefits)?  How is that a good idea?  Making a bad situation worse. The equivalent of cutting a check to people making half a million dollars. 

Working population. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich