2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Guarded.

Do you think Dan has zero political beliefs?

So I can tell you, I really couldn’t make a decision for president in the primary. I could’ve used a random number generator in the end, though there were a few I was against only because I knew they’d have a larger hill to climb to beat trump. As a gay man, I’m very very used to not getting my way via political parties so all I’m looking for really is to stop the goddamned idiot that is doing his level best to ruin the reputation of our country. 

Therefore, 8 months out, I’m fucking highly interested in this presidential race, but couldn’t give a shit who the eventual nominee is as it relates to my vote. I’ll vote for the D. 

After Trump is gone, then I’ll worry about how much shit to give the winner, but to be clear, I’d much rather have a less than perfect president from a political perspective vs Trump. I'm prepared to settle to make sure I get my primary goal accomplished. 

I hope this was a clear enough example of someone who didn’t necessarily have a dog in the primary hunt who is absolutely still interested in following it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Poll after poll shows that primary voters don’t care about policies as much as they do voting for someone they think can beat Dotard. Policies are secondary. 

Fucking this. 

In a mostly normal primary season I'd be fine with Bernie going down gunsablazin'

This is in the middle of a modern plague outbreak. Now is not the time to force people to get mashed into a line to go vote. Kansas has already decided to send a ballot to each D voter with instructions to use water instead of spit because corona. This is not the time to splinter into camps over policy. Play the game and you're going to get a shot at your policy, but first you gotta fucking win. Bernie isn't helping anyone. He's toast. It's over. Prolonging the inevitable is not going to win over people. Bowing out gracefully might.

We've got a narcissistic asshole in the WH, an obstructionist Senate, and a goddamn plague. We're looking at an economic meltdown. Now is not the time to grind the voters. Do the right thing. Stand down.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

The older some people get, the more they resent the young.

It's sad, really.

Some people have a difficult time getting old. They hang on to the reveries of their younger years and get depressed when the young ignore them as if they don’t exist. It is an age old problem for some. Most older Americans get comfortable in their new skin and celebrate what they can learn from the young. Not the boomer-types (whether boomers or not). They resent as they apply the rogaine to their hairlines and reminisce about their days following Dave Matthews while the young cringe. 

Try to leave the world a better place for those who will inherit your mess. They deserve better. 

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

This is not the time to splinter into camps over policy.

Agreed, which is why Joe should unite the party by meeting the policy needs of passionate and closely-aligned voters who are terribly concerned about healthcare, debt, and climate change.

He is the presumptive nominee and this will be an excellent test of his leadership.

24 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Another lie. 

Number 1 is healthcare. 

healthcare is #1 in polls where "beating trump" isn't an option.  and there are plenty of these polls, especially since "beating trump" isn't really a "policy" or "issue".

most polls look like this (yes, i know, it's old.  trump has gotten so much more likable since sept):

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-issues-should-the-2020-democratic-candidates-be-talking-about/

it's a woodshed beating.  anyone who pretends otherwise is absolutely kidding themselves.  i'm sure there are other polls out there, but this was literally the first that popped up, and it also agreed with my point, so i linked it.

30 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Young vote is up this year. 

you need to stop leading with the big lie. Establish credibility first. 

bt said that calling people liars is not nice, and we agreed to stop.

if young voting is up this year, that's a fantastic sign for biden.

There is no doubt that those three issues are crucial. Healthcare reform has to be revisited. Debt, particularly student loans, has to be dealt with. And the climate situation is the 800 lb gorilla that is putting on weight. 

But, none of those are going to happen if we don't curb stomp the GOP, up and down ballot. 

• Like 1

Just now, cactusflinthead said:

There is no doubt that those three issues are crucial. Healthcare reform has to be revisited. Debt, particularly student loans, has to be dealt with. And the climate situation is the 800 lb gorilla that is putting on weight. 

But, none of those are going to happen if we don't curb stomp the GOP, up and down ballot. 

Yes, which makes it all the more important that Joe Biden unite the progressive and centrist wings of the Democratic Party to deliver the victories necessary in November.

My own opinion is that, "FUCK YOU, PROGRESSIVE BITCHES" is a counter-productive rhetorical strategy towards accomplishing that end. I'm sure you agree. :)

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

So uh, what exactly is the problem?

Biden seems very content to just play it out and try to earn the votes of current Sanders supporters and not tell them they are unnecessary or that Sanders should drop out immediately and everyone should fall in line.

Unlike many here.

It that a "problem"? Not really, I guess. :)

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Biden seems very content to just play it out and try to earn the votes of current Sanders supporters and not tell them they are unnecessary or that Sanders should drop out immediately and everyone should fall in line.

Unlike many here.

It that a "problem"? Not really, I guess. :)

i didn't say they were unnecessary, you did.

On 3/16/2020 at 2:13 PM, Pancho said:

Zero surprise here. The Democrats are the very definition of inept. They get a free pass, because Trump, but that better not last a minute past his removal from Presidency.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Progressives are done with lip service.  

Had a flashback to 1987, that was the first time I heard that voiced.

56 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Some people have a difficult time getting old. They hang on to the reveries of their younger years and get depressed when the young ignore them as if they don’t exist. It is an age old problem for some. Most older Americans get comfortable in their new skin and celebrate what they can learn from the young. Not the boomer-types (whether boomers or not). They resent as they apply the rogaine to their hairlines and reminisce about their days following Dave Matthews while the young cringe. 

Try to leave the world a better place for those who will inherit your mess. They deserve better. 

LOL Dave Matthews is weak ass sauce for Gen X.

Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Who, Led Zep on front end, and Clash, AC/DC, U2 on the back end for Boomers.

Got to give you credit for posting with a vengeance; even though a lot of it does not have factual underpinnings. Party on, Garth!

Edited by SaucyJack

5 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Biden might just be the long sought Trump vaccine, this fall will be interesting with $2,000+ dollar checks/ & 2 million+ potential corona cases in USA...

When I get my $2000 check, it’s going straight to fund Dem campaigns.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

except dan has said he's exactly that person.  so have many others who regularly post here.

Yep.  I have no desire to get all worked up about the minutia of the Dem primary.  I just want those fucks to put someone up to beat Trump.  That is, literally, all I give a rat's ass about. 

• Like 1

So what does the DNC do if none of the olds turn out today out of fear of imminent death and Bernie somehow wins the states voting today?  With turnout so incredibly low, it wouldn't be that far fetched of an outcome.  The polls are almost meaningless in this context.  

This aged well
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

If we don't use this crazy election season to en masse go towards productive improvements in voting methods, availability, and access then we ought to just go to a monarchy because we really did a bad job here. Just super awfully messed up.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Let the primary just play out. Joe will win.

In the meantime, he'll be tested from the left and have to develop ideas, plans, and responses, which will sharpen him for the general. He'll get some more sparring sessions in with Bernie that he'll do fine in without any real risk of losing.

When Bernie is mathematically eliminated, which will happen before the final primaries, Bernie and Joe can sit down and hash out an endorsement plan, which will involve concessions on Joe's part. Joe can make the determination as to how much he needs from Bernie and they can work out the deal.

Every progressive gets a chance to vote for Bernie and Joe gets a chance to deal with Bernie's arguments in a way that perhaps appeals to Bernie's followers over time.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Every day that Bernie stays in, it's another day for his followers and campaign to criticize Joe Biden and make him look worse. Every day that Bernie stays in is one fewer day of unifying the party and voters heading into the General Election. It's not going to be easy to defeat Trump. Time to come together as quickly as we can. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

I do think he is a weak candidate. So is Bernie. 

So then it seems wise for Joe to work to unite the party and win the gettable progressive left. He seems to be wanting to do that by embracing some Warren and Sanders policies and making it a point to praise Sanders supporters without demanding their immediate bending and scraping.

It would probably be wise for those rooting for Joe right now to follow his lead in that regard.

Just saw the results for Florida. 62% to 23%. Holy shit.

Biden won AZ by 12%.

Everyone saw that coming but it is still amazing.

Is it too late for Bernie to pivot away from being a populist? Is there enough time to show voters that he has the ability to build coalitions and work with others to actually produce change and progress? Is there more to Bernie than just naming post offices?

Just kidding. The only thing people care about now is when is he going to drop out and why didn’t he drop out a week ago? 

27 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

So then it seems wise for Joe to work to unite the party and win the gettable progressive left. He seems to be wanting to do that by embracing some Warren and Sanders policies and making it a point to praise Sanders supporters without demanding their immediate bending and scraping.

It would probably be wise for those rooting for Joe right now to follow his lead in that regard.

mildly amusing post.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

"Survive a primary" has a slightly different meaning this go around. 

Yeah.  If I was a gambling man, I'd bet the coronavirus kills both Bernie and Biden, but Trump never gets it.  That would fit perfectly with the rest of the shitty simulation the robots have us living in lately. 

• Like 1