Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

You talking about that stretch from like Southwest Parkway to 360?  It's fucking brutal.  Even in 2011, I never saw the trees look this rough.  Too many years of sustained extreme weather.  Two really shitty fallouts from this that most people don't pay attention to---Oak Wilt on split branches.  And when we do get a couple of hard freezes and ice accumulates on a lot of this very, very brittle trees---we're in for blackouts measured in weeks, not days.  

People have to start learning to prune themselves, properly, responsibly, and safely.  You can't wait for some "Arbor Crew" to leave a hanger on your front door handle.  This is gonna get worse before it gets better.  

On the mosquito note, I have noticed an uptick in bugs the last week or so.  Thankfully, not too bad.  But that was the one nice part of this shitshow, very few bugs inside or out.  But as Curly once said with regard to homicide...day ain't over yet.

Slaughter to 360.  Really really bad on the east side of the highway.

I'm conflicted.  I get to church this morning to prepare coffee and breakfast for the post-service fellowship ministry, and it was nice enough out at the early hour.  AND, Somebody proudly left me a sticky note saying there was pumpkin spice creamer in the back fridge to put out with the regular stuff.  On the other hand, there's still triple digit heat-index days this week and I doubt any rain comes to fruition until Thursday.  But looking better in general.  While we're all feeling a tad better, our yards and mainly our trees, are going to need months to recover---if they ever do.  

Bright side of it all?  Next week's Wyoming game could almost be pleasant.  Pre-game in the sun gonna be a bit toasty but come kickoff, I bet it's 80-85 degrees.  All the sundresses and short-shorts w/ boots, and none of the heat-stroke.  

Edited by YGIFS

On 9/7/2023 at 5:33 PM, Brisketexan said:

Don't get me started on the fucking outdoor weddings from June-September in central Texas.  Remember, that's my wife's gig - marrying these people.  Used to be, everyone had a lick of sense; if you got married in summer in Texas, you got married inside, because JESUS FUCKING CHRIST IT'S HOT.

Now, all of these brides have seen a shitload of Instagram posts about how gorgeous outdoor summer weddings are, skipping right past the fact that every one of those posts comes from someone in New England, or SoCal, or the UP of Michigan or some shit, WHERE IT'S NOT 1,000 DEGREES FOR FOUR FUCKING MONTHS STRAIGHT.  So, she's had multiple outdoor weddings this summer, and another one coming up.  She has had people actually pass out at them.  Other guests give up after 15-20 minutes, and leave the wedding to go someplace indoor with AC.  Bride and groom standing up front, drenched in sweat.  Hell, she's had some of them ask her to perform in her vestments -- she has answered (politely) "fuck that shit, I'll be wearing a little black dress."  She is ripshit pissed at all the wedding coordinators who put up with this shit and don't tell their brides not to do it.  It's stupid, selfish, fucking dumb, and dangerous.

Imagine if a fucking bride in Fargo said "ya know, I really want to have an outdoor wedding, you betcha.  I was thinking January 15th, right next to the river in Orchard Glen Park.  Ya know, I saw some pictures of that place, with the trees all in bloom, and it looks soooooo pretty!"  The wedding coordinator would just look at her and say "Outside?  On January 15th?  No."

You wouldn't subject people to standing outside for an hour when it's -20, why in the fuck do you think it's okay to do so when it's 105?

Your old lady realizes she could say no to performing the ceremony, right?  Not like you need the cash that bad.

Your old lady realizes she could say no to performing the ceremony, right?  Not like you need the cash that bad.

She usually books the wedding well before they decide the specifics of the ceremony. She books a year+ in advance. And it USED to be, she assumed summer weddings were indoors in the AC. That changed the last 2-3 years.

She usually books the wedding well before they decide the specifics of the ceremony. She books a year+ in advance. And it USED to be, she assumed summer weddings were indoors in the AC. That changed the last 2-3 years.

35 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Fall weather, amirite?

Really makes you want to head down to Starbucks with your friends Ashley, Ashlee, Ashleigh, and Ashlea, and order a whole round of nonfat pumpkin spice lattes!  We'll be so excited we'll all toss our flat-brimmed felt hats in the air for an Instagram pic! [that requires 27 takes to capture JUST RIGHT]

• Haha 1

I am grateful for the modicum of cloud cover and low(ish) humidity, but before you jag-offs start your circle jerk, you do know it's 97 degrees outside right now-yes?  A welcome reprieve to be sure, but still hotter than it should be.  No rain in sight, crackly grass, and I'm looking at which limbs I gotta cut down this weekend that are dead for brush pickup.  And I don't even fucking know where to start.  

You may be done with blastfurnace, but blastfurnace is not done with you.  This is gonna take months to sort out in terms of flora and fauna.  

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Really makes you want to head down to Starbucks with your friends Ashley, Ashlee, Ashleigh, and Ashlea, and order a whole round of nonfat pumpkin spice lattes!  We'll be so excited we'll all toss our flat-brimmed felt hats in the air for an Instagram pic! [that requires 27 takes to capture JUST RIGHT]

pics?

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Look I don’t judge what you do on the weekends so leave me alone 

• Hook 'Em 1

You follow my gram?

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
59 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You follow my gram?

I only follow 4 types of grams:

1) family members

2) cooking accounts

3) celebrities my age who I mildly creep on (Susanna Hoffs)

4) random chicks in bikinis, mostly fishing

Which group are you in?

54 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

She is so damn sexy in that video that you almost forget she starts the story with "On the way to school with my mom".....until your lawyer nudges you stand up before the judge's arraignment.  

Other women are objectively prettier.

Other women may have more talent.

But "sexy" . . . . that's its own category.  And she owns it.  It helps that she's an absolutely cool chick, and always has been.  That video is an exhibit to explain why she has a permanent spot in the HOF.  She's a "blastfurnace" in her own right.

Edited by Brisketexan