Gunsgunsguns!!!! Banditos and Waterdogs go a-blastin' in Red River, 3 dead

Beau Vine

A Rio Rancho man is charged with murder in connection with a shooting in Red River on Saturday (May 27) that left what authorities described as three "outlaw motorcycle club members" dead and five more injured, the Taos News has confirmed, putting an early end to the town's 41st Annual Red River Memorial Day Motorcycle Rally.

Red River Mayor Linda Calhoun told the Taos News that all suspects in the shooting had been taken into custody, and there were no longer any immediate threats to public safety. 

"We plan for this event every year, it's our 41st year to do this," Calhoun told the Taos News in a phone interview around 10:30 Saturday night. "And we had about 40 state police in town, our five law enforcement, and we had some county sheriff's [deputies]. Always, when there's that big of a group in town, you know 25,000 people, there's the possibility that something could happen.

"I think the first officer was on the scene within 30 seconds of the call going out and the scene was contained," Calhoun added, noting that the shooting appeared to be gang related.

New Mexico State Police Chief Tim Johnson updated reporters gathered at the Red River Visitor Center on Sunday morning, confirming that the shootout was between members of two motorcycle clubs: the Banditos and the Waterdogs.

The shooting in Red River stemmed from an earlier "confrontation in Albuquerque," Johnson said, "and spilled over into here." 

State Police said in a Sunday press release that the shooting was first reported at 5:00 p.m. in the area of East Main Street, where officers arrived to find two deceased individuals and six injured individuals. Five of the injured individuals were transported to local hospitals, where one was later pronounced deceased. The sixth injured individual was airlifted to a Denver hospital. 

"All eight individuals involved were identified as outlaw motorcycle gang members," the state police release stated. "The three deceased individuals have been identified as Anthony Silva, 26 of Los Lunas, NM, Randy Sanchez, 46 of Albuquerque, NM, and Damian Breaux, 46 of Socorro, NM.

"Through investigation, state police agents learned that a confrontation occurred between multiple outlaw motorcycle gang members," the release continued. "Jacob David Castillo, 30, of Rio Rancho, NM was charged with an open count of murder. He was injured during the incident and is currently hospitalized. Upon his release, he will be booked into the Taos County Detention Center.  

One of the injured individuals was arrested on unrelated charges, according to the release. Christopher Garcia, 41, of, TX was charged with possession of cocaine. He was released from the hospital and booked into the Taos County Detention Center upon release. In addition, Mathew Charles Jackson, 39 of Austin, TX was charged with unlawful carrying of a firearm in a liquor establishment and booked into the Taos County Detention Center as well.

"The remaining four injured individuals, 53-, 31-, and 43-year-old males, have not yet been charged with a crime," state police said. "They will not be identified unless they are eventually charged with a crime. The current condition of all individuals injured is not known."

The incident in Red River on Saturday spurred Town of Taos Mayor Pascual Maestas to institute a rare ban on alcohol sales within town limits from 10:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. Sunday (May 28), as well as a curfew until the same time Sunday.

Maestas said the emergency proclamation was due the massive law enforcement and emergency services response in Red River and corresponding acute lack of first responders available in Taos.  The emergency measures were not renewed, and there is "no intent at this moment to extend" the curfew or alcohol ban," Town Manager Andrew Gonzales told the Taos News.

Taos County Manager Brent Jaramillo, who is also a Village of Questa councilor, told the Taos News that the Taos County Healing Field of Honor Memorial Day celebration in Questa had been canceled "due to the events in Red River. I asked the courthouse flea market to shut down as well."

Police scanner activity painted a chaotic scene in the Enchanted Circle on Saturday evening.

"Be advised, there is another shootout going on — a rolling shootout — between Banditos [Motorcycle Club] and someone else," an officer reported at approximately 5:45 p.m. over Taos County Central Dispatch.

Another law enforcement officer advised over police radio that "They are shutting down Red River," just before 6:00 p.m. Saturday evening (May 27). At 6:30 p.m., another officer advised that between 25 and 30 motorcyclists were headed through Taos, adding to multiple reports that large groups of bikers were either following ambulances or headed to points south.

As of 7:00 p.m., Holy Cross was relatively quiet outside, with an air ambulance arriving to pick up a victim for emergency transport at 7:15.

Holy Cross Medical Center was locked down around 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, as authorities prepared for an influx of Banditos and Waterdogs club members. 

"It's been our experience when dealing with these types of gangbangers that when someone gets shot, all their friends like to go there," Johnson said. "Obviously there's a ton of innocent people there who needed our protection."

As of 10:00 a.m. Sunday, the hospital was no longer locked down and "is operating as normal," according to a spokesperson.

According to the police scanner, ambulances began to arrive at the hospital around 6:00 p.m Saturday evening. Multiple victims were flown from Holy Cross to trauma centers, according to dispatch reports. Johnson said one gunshot victim is being treated in Denver, while the rest are being treated in Albuquerque

Outlaw behavior "is not going to be tolerated this Memorial Day Weekend or any Memorial Day Weekend moving forward," Johnson said, announcing that DWI checkpoints will be erected on both sides of Red River along N.M. 38, and indicating that law enforcement across the state and potentially in other states are on the lookout for "lawless gangbangers," particularly members of the Banditos and Waterdogs.

"Anyone who can be arrested will be arrested," Johnson said, adding that police statewide will have "zero tolerance" for traffic violations. 

I listened to a podcast where the shooter called in.  This stemmed over a picture of the waterdogs and the disciples from a wedding.  Then the Disciples and the Waterdogs went on a ride together.  This caused umbrage with the Bandidos.  And the Bandidos have been harassing them about this for 2 years now.  The Bandidos finally decided to jump these guys in front of their wives and then the shooting started

Well thanks to those dumbasses, the rally each Memorial Day has been canceled by the mayor:

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico/red-river-mayor-annual-memorial-day-motorcycle-rally-will-not-return/amp/

Doesn’t really surprise me.  Back when the ROT rally was a legit thing, they’d have their own campsite carved out for them and the support clubs.  They’d mostly keep to themselves, wisely, as any kind of slight towards one drew the ire of all of them…dumbass blowhards or not. 

For a few years we had a spot across the drag from them, and I always crack up when a dumbass violated an unwritten rule, parking his pickup in front of them.  An hour later when he came back, the bed was full of trash and beer cans.  

15 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Sidenote-did I read this right?  ROT Rally isn't happening this June and some other different version of it already happened in Austin in early May?  

It was ‘held’ at some speed shop down south, if I recall.  

What a rapid fall from grace that whole event has become.  Canceled (like many things) in 2020, held at the track in 2021, then some field far away from the city in 2022, and now a glorified workshop.  They’ve had event license issues in the past and have read they owe money to multiple vendors.  

I started going in 2007 when I got my motorcycle, and kept going after I sold it in 2016 before our second was born.  Group of buddies and I would buy an RV space on the drag, so even without two wheels it was still an excuse to hang with my friends and shoot the shit for a few days.  

But I’d started getting bored with the whole thing…the bands were scraping the bottom of the barrel, ticket prices went through the roof, events were getting cut, and as stuff to do dwindled it became the exact same shit year after year: sitting in a law chair or riding around in the cart seeing the exact same weekend warriors getting drunk, fighting or hurt.  Once the vendors started pulling out you knew it was about to bleed dry.  

I don’t really miss it. 

It was ‘held’ at some speed shop down south, if I recall.  
What a rapid fall from grace that whole event has become.  Canceled (like many things) in 2020, held at the track in 2021, then some field far away from the city in 2022, and now a glorified workshop.  They’ve had event license issues in the past and have read they owe money to multiple vendors.  
I started going in 2007 when I got my motorcycle, and kept going after I sold it in 2016 before our second was born.  Group of buddies and I would buy an RV space on the drag, so even without two wheels it was still an excuse to hang with my friends and shoot the shit for a few days.  
But I’d started getting bored with the whole thing…the bands were scraping the bottom of the barrel, ticket prices went through the roof, events were getting cut, and as stuff to do dwindled it became the exact same shit year after year: sitting in a law chair or riding around in the cart seeing the exact same weekend warriors getting drunk, fighting or hurt.  Once the vendors started pulling out you knew it was about to bleed dry.  
I don’t really miss it. 

For years, we lived in a house with a back fence that backed up to 2222. ROT weekend sucked, because every out-of-town weekend warrior wanted to do a “ride out around the lake.” 20,000 bikes, cranking pipes at 20,000 db, idled and rode past our house, starting early and going late. Super fun to spend an entire day without being able to even hear yourself think in your own house. We got to where we just made plans to be somewhere else during the days.
I will say this: the “If you can read this, the bitch fell off” t-shirts always made me chuckle.

Based on the demographics I’ve encountered with the Harley-types, they’re 90% the bald/goatee/Oakley’s disposition that love to espouse ‘fuck your feelings’ without irony yet want to square up when you tell them their 800lb, 70 horsepower, shitty braked, antiquated Harley that breaks down more than a 70’s era Fiat wasn’t worth half the $20k they paid for it.  

You can tell a lot about someone’s ridership by how they handle a group ride…and 90% of the time I’ve been more worried about them hitting me than ‘cagers’:  no lane discipline, no anticipation, late braking, not pointing out road hazards, etc.  Will say that Bandidos I’ve seen are second only to biker cops in pure ability, which makes sense given it’s often their only vehicle.  

1 minute ago, safe sex said:

Glad for the trauma units in Austin that ROT is basically done. Shitshow of horrific injuries every year

I can’t imagine what the ER was like.  Seemed like a handful passed away every year, and based of all the super drunk helmet-less fools I saw blasting off onto Decker Lane each night…no shock.  

2 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I can’t imagine what the ER was like.  Seemed like a handful passed away every year, and based of all the super drunk helmet-less fools I saw blasting off onto Decker Lane each night…no shock.  

I've been present at two organ harvesting operations that started as a silly trick or bet at ROT. Fucking stupid path that led to each of them

Only 3 huh? Well fuck, it's a start anyway. If every single small-dicked, simpleton that thinks reving his Harley makes him more of a man suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth, well that would be a fine day indeed.  

• Drool 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

For years, we lived in a house with a back fence that backed up to 2222. ROT weekend sucked, because every out-of-town weekend warrior wanted to do a “ride out around the lake.” 20,000 bikes, cranking pipes at 20,000 db, idled and rode past our house, starting early and going late. Super fun to spend an entire day without being able to even hear yourself think in your own house. We got to where we just made plans to be somewhere else during the days.
I will say this: the “If you can read this, the bitch fell off” t-shirts always made me chuckle.

Fuck, we lived in Wimberley and we could hear all those Harley assholes riding around the valley the whole week, never a quiet moment.  And if you tried to drive into Austin (UT was usually hosting a regional that weekend), you'd get stuck behind 20+ bikers who couldn't keep a constant predictable speed on hilly, curvy 2-lane roads and the drive would take twice as long as normal.  

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Just what I want…a new heart that smells of cigarette smoke, cheap whiskey, and even cheaper beer.

with herpes sores.

Biker gangs are the scum of the fucking earth.  Let 'em kill each other until they are all dead. 

Biker gangs have become a big problem in New Mexico because a few of them have bought up cheap land and made huge compounds in the last fifteen years from what I’ve heard.  Banditos bought land south of Ruidoso in the last ten years and have become a problem in the area.  

Edited by Hook1997

21 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Biker gangs have become a big problem in New Mexico because a few of them have bought up cheap land and made huge compounds in the last fifteen years from what I’ve heard.  Banditos bought land south of Ruidoso in the last ten years and have become a problem in the area.  

Huge meth labs, no doubt.

On 6/1/2023 at 2:12 AM, FartingMonk said:

I listened to a podcast where the shooter called in.  This stemmed over a picture of the waterdogs and the disciples from a wedding.  Then the Disciples and the Waterdogs went on a ride together.  This caused umbrage with the Bandidos.  And the Bandidos have been harassing them about this for 2 years now.  The Bandidos finally decided to jump these guys in front of their wives and then the shooting started

That is some middle school level drama.  What a bunch of regards.

51 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

That is some middle school level drama.  What a bunch of regards.

Reading HST’s Hells Angels is a lot of fun, and somewhat insightful into their world…though things seemed to have changed from the Sonny Barger days as the Bandidos apparently run a lot of drugs now and seem more open to straight murder.  

The Banesh killing is interesting view on how those works collide.  Two national-level patched members and one wannabe were eventually convicted.  

The original Chronicle story:  https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2006-05-19/366344/

Convictions: https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Former-high-ranking-Bandido-gets-15-years-without-13278099.php

I find this stuff interesting as a friend back in ~2006 wanted to start a full fledged MC and all the stupid shit ‘rules’ that come with it:  can’t have a Texas rocker on your colors, have to join the council of clubs that’s basically a way for Bandidos to control/observe, essentially slimming the dues as tithing, can’t use their ketchup/mustard (Marines) colors, etc.  Believe the council meeting in waco is where that shootout went down.  

Even if their patch doesn’t say Bandidos, if it’s the USMC colors and a name like Companeros or whatever…it’s an approved support club and same shit applies.  

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Reading HST’s Hells Angels is a lot of fun, and somewhat insightful into their world…though things seemed to have changed from the Sonny Barger days as the Bandidos apparently run a lot of drugs now and seem more open to straight murder.  

The Banesh killing is interesting view on how those works collide.  Two national-level patched members and one wannabe were eventually convicted.  

The original Chronicle story:  https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2006-05-19/366344/

Convictions: https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Former-high-ranking-Bandido-gets-15-years-without-13278099.php

I find this stuff interesting as a friend back in ~2006 wanted to start a full fledged MC and all the stupid shit ‘rules’ that come with it:  can’t have a Texas rocker on your colors, have to join the council of clubs that’s basically a way for Bandidos to control/observe, essentially slimming the dues as tithing, can’t use their ketchup/mustard (Marines) colors, etc.  Believe the council meeting in waco is where that shootout went down.  

Even if their patch doesn’t say Bandidos, if it’s the USMC colors and a name like Companeros or whatever…it’s an approved support club and same shit applies.  

A buddy of mine likes to ride.  He tells the story of how him and some Navy buddies were riding in Washington and had the Washington rocker on.  They got pulled over by a huge group of Bandidos.  They started questioning their patches and how they were violating rules.  They told them they were just some active duty sailors riding.  The guy got pissed and said I don't care until one of the higher ups finally showed up.  He said first we aren't in the business of beating up military.  And second just take off the patch when you get home.

Sounds about right.  Possible that saying they were AD saved them from a more serious confrontation, because as stupid as it seems to most people…those guys take that stuff very seriously.  

My buddies and I wanted to end just being a Riding Group, which is apparently down a level in seriousness…you have your circular patch but no rockers.  Eventually we just said screw all this hot mess.

However the one dude was so enamored he ended up starting an actual MC, diving headlong into that world with his club having all of like six members.  They were on their way to Waco when the shootout happened.  

He desperately wanted to be on the fringes of the 1%’ers, his friends eventually reflected that and we parted ways…rest of us wanted to stay away from that shit.  He went full into QAnon, no shocker there.  

38 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Sounds about right.  Possible that saying they were AD saved them from a more serious confrontation, because as stupid as it seems to most people…those guys take that stuff very seriously.  

My buddies and I wanted to end just being a Riding Group, which is apparently down a level in seriousness…you have your circular patch but no rockers.  Eventually we just said screw all this hot mess.

However the one dude was so enamored he ended up starting an actual MC, diving headlong into that world with his club having all of like six members.  They were on their way to Waco when the shootout happened.  

He desperately wanted to be on the fringes of the 1%’ers, his friends eventually reflected that and we parted ways…rest of us wanted to stay away from that shit.  He went full into QAnon, no shocker there.  

Yeah.  He said the active duty thing saved them from getting jumped.  Said it was the most aggressive body language you can get into without getting physical.  Said if the higher up guy didn't show up it would have turned out differently.  Also said he knows if that higher up dude gave the signal.  They would have been left bleeding on the side of the highway.  

Yeah, I know a guy that started rising with the Amigos one of the Bandidos support groups.  He's a full patched Bandidos now.  It's such a weird culture.  For people who started because they were against the rules.  They sure have a lot of weird fucking rules.

• Hook 'Em 1