Earl Campbell: the human wrecking ball

Machinator

Those hits on Tatum and the Broncos guy ... just fucking brutal.

11 minutes ago, Noah Fence said:

1. Jim Brown

2. John Riggins

3. Earl Campbell

What a load of shit.  Earl dealt more punishment as a running back than most linebackers.

Yeah, Riggins ahead of Earl is complete nonsense.

I remember going to (I think) the first home game of Earl's freshman year.  He didn't start, but they put him in.  Recruiting wasn't followed back then like it is now (or at least I didn't follow it).

I asked one of the guys in our group if they knew anything about him.  Answered with kind of a shrug, "I've heard he supposed to be good."

Biggest understatement of all eternity.

On 3/28/2018 at 10:00 AM, Mac8111 said:

Earl is the reason I was a longhorn fan as a kid

Yeah we moved here from Tennessee in '77. I was in 6th grade. Watching Earl wreck mfers that season turned my blood burnt orange for life.

10 hours ago, HornPhD said:

Favorite Longhorn. Met him once. 

Later I was waiting tables at Jazz on 6th. Earl's sausage company office was upstairs. Earl would come in after our lunch rush and sit at the bar to eat lunch. Nobody in the place but Earl & all of us who worked there. He would chat us up all the time & was easily the most laid-back, chill pro athlete I've ever met & as nice a guy as you could ever hope to meet. 

Said this before, but the pantheon at Texas is Earl and Tommy, and this is at a place that has had absolute "gods" play. But any discussion has to begin with these two. Now, if you want to continue then you better start with a guy named Bobby . . .

• Like 1