Which cruise lines are trashiest?

Your Mom

15 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I’m here having a weak old fashioned in the Star Lounge at Harry Potter trivia if you want to join me.  You could walk up and and say, “Hi Mom, it’s me your anonymous friend from the internet.” and we’d still be the most normal people in the room. 

Ha. We had the same cruise, I just had mine in the first week of July. Although apparently we had different ships. BUt yeah, I've been home almost 2 months now, although the scarring is permanent. At least you got to Harry Potty Trivia. I tried to hit up Star Wars trivia a couple times and apparently it's standing room only about 30 minutes before start, and the shitpile bar they held it in makes it impossible to hear shit unless you're right by the speaker. 

I think the biggest thing that pissed me off was the fucking rules for drinks. I bought an unlimited beverage package, and yet I can't order a double unless I have my wife's fucking ship card as well, becuase only one drink per person every 15 minutes. Listen motherfucker, give me a fucking bottle of wine to take back to my fucking stateroom, I paid for that fucking shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think the biggest thing that pissed me off was the fucking rules for drinks. I bought an unlimited beverage package, and yet I can't order a double unless I have my wife's fucking ship card as well, becuase only one drink per person every 15 minutes. Listen motherfucker, give me a fucking bottle of wine to take back to my fucking stateroom, I paid for that fucking shit. 

image.gif.22e743c2b8b8df13eafef6e6836b105e.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The high end ones like Seabourn, Silversea, and Viking are very nice, but stuff like this is the future of the real upper crust cruise trips where you avoid the Carnival crowd:

https://www.ritzcarltonyachtcollection.com/find-a-cruise

Four Seasons is also going to start a super yacht cruise line in the next year or two like what Ritz Carlton is doing.  They’re both going to be expensive as fuck, but at least you know it’s actually going to be nice, weed out the trashy crowd you don’t want, and the excursions on land will be nicer with smaller groups.

I think we're going to do a Silversea cruise next year through the Panama Canal.  I've always wanted to do the Panama Canal ever since reading David McCullough's book 20 years ago.  And a cruise is really the only way to see it properly.

It being Silversea, you avoid most of the issues y'all are (rightly) identifying.  There aren't any fat trashy people on that boat; there aren't many people on that boat at all.  And to @SydneyCarton's point, my experience on Silversea (though it's very outdated experience) is that there aren't any limits on drinks.  They'll serve you whatever, whenever.  And they'll just stock your minibar in your room with whatever you want.  So if you just want to sit on your balcony and drink, you can do that.

Which maybe, come to think of it, . . . .

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think we're going to do a Silversea cruise next year through the Panama Canal.  I've always wanted to do the Panama Canal ever since reading David McCullough's book 20 years ago.  And a cruise is really the only way to see it properly.

It being Silversea, you avoid most of the issues y'all are (rightly) identifying.  There aren't any fat trashy people on that boat; there aren't many people on that boat at all.  And to @SydneyCarton's point, my experience on Silversea (though it's very outdated experience) is that there aren't any limits on drinks.  They'll serve you whatever, whenever.  And they'll just stock your minibar in your room with whatever you want.  So if you just want to sit on your balcony and drink, you can do that.

Which maybe, come to think of it, . . . .

Ha. THat sounds great. I'm all in on a really nice fucking cruise at some point, it's just going to be quite a bit later in life, with a kid gone and an extended timeline with long stops in ports. 

Not a cruiser but had never heard of Silversea.  Looked up an itinerary with them including Greece and saw this with a duration of 27 days 😲

I swear, I would most likely go insane on a boat (even a really nice one) that long.

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/mediterranean-cruise/lisbon-to-athens-piraeus-wh240930c27.html

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Good luck:

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/27/1196219611/a-historic-drought-is-causing-a-huge-traffic-jam-at-the-panama-canal

The Panama Canal is one of the world's major trade routes, but currently it's experiencing a huge traffic jam with dozens of ships backed up in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The cause? An historic drought in Panama, which has reduced the canal's water levels. Joining us to discuss the potential impact on global trade is Adil Ashiq, head of the Americas for the maritime intelligence firm MarineTraffic. Welcome to the show.

ADIL ASHIQ: Thank you, Ayesha. Happy to be here.

RASCOE: So can you explain how the drought in Panama is causing these delays? I mean, I think I'm right in saying that the canal uses three times as much water as New York City every day. Is that correct?

ASHIQ: Yes, that is correct. And I think one of the biggest facts of the canal that people don't realize is that it is not actually fed by ocean water. It's, in fact, fed by fresh water that's collected through lots of the rainfall that was dammed when the canal was built. So Panama is notoriously very wet - one of the wettest countries in the world, actually. So this is very unprecedented, that the rainfall amount is not replenishing the lake, which is known as the Gatun Lake. And so the levels aren't sustaining the volume of ships traveling in and out.

Spoiler

RASCOE: OK. And so does that mean that some of the ships are being forced to offload some of their goods or to be lighter?

ASHIQ: Yeah, no, great question. So when ships go from ocean to ocean, they have to go through a tier of locks. And so these locks - they will rise because Panama Canal actually is above sea level. So once the vessel is at the level of the canal itself, this makes it a navigation concern for a vessel. To combat this, vessels technically need to be lighter so that their draft, basically the amount of ship that's underwater, doesn't run aground.

RASCOE: And I would imagine that's money, if you have to transport less goods than you otherwise would. Are there also delays?

ASHIQ: Yes, definitely. If ships are carrying less cargo, then that's less trade flowing through the canal. And in terms of the traffic, the jams, the delays that we're actually seeing at the canal for both the Pacific and Atlantic are actually about 30% more vessels waiting versus the average that we've seen in the past.

RASCOE: So what can authorities do in Panama other than just hope for rain?

ASHIQ: So they're building additional reservoirs. They're trying to understand ways that they can reuse water, looking at ways to dam other areas to have a backup supply in case these conditions can worsen in the future. And we have to think 20 years, 50 years, 100 years down the line.

RASCOE: Are shipping companies looking for different routes, since they're having issues with the Panama Canal?

ASHIQ: Absolutely. So in terms of the type of shipping, Ayesha - so if we look at the container trade - container vessels haven't really been impacted much by delays because they generally will get priority. However, in terms of bulk trade - so lots of raw materials that are used in manufacturing or say, gasoline - this market specifically is starting to see those types of delays. And sometimes these vessels are loaded so heavy that they simply cannot transit the canal, and they have no choice but to sail around South America.

RASCOE: That's Adil Ashiq from the maritime intelligence firm MarineTraffic. Thank you so much for being with us.

ASHIQ: Thank you, Ayesha.

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

Not a cruiser but had never heard of Silversea.  Looked up an itinerary with them including Greece and saw this with a duration of 27 days 😲

I swear, I would most likely go insane on a boat (even a really nice one) that long.

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/mediterranean-cruise/lisbon-to-athens-piraeus-wh240930c27.html

Royal Caribbean has an "Ultimate World Cruise" that's 274 days.

17 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

What I wanted in my cruise experience:

Yacht W | 189' Feadship Motor Yacht

What I got:

Disappointing Photos of Cruise Ship Vacations in Real Life

That's where the $$$ comes in. You can get that, but prepare to pay $$$ instead of $.

36 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

That's a valid point. To be fair though, that's clearly a promoted event, as evidenced by the crew members in the pool.

And that nobody seems to be in the other one. 

What I don't get is people sharing cruise hot tubs with strangers. It's like human soup. No thanks.

I’ve sailed Crystal, Seabourn, Cunard and Silversea along with HAL, Princess and RCCl - Seabourn was my favorite of the bunch but Crystal is the most obscenely luxurious. These are not remotely close to Carnival, RCCL or NCL which are walmarts of the sea. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

I took my wife and kid on a Disney cruise many years ago.  I was chatting with one of the outside bartenders asking where they were previously.  They were doing Alaskan cruises but just cut through the Panama Canal.  He said it was the most miserable he had been on a cruise ship.  Said it was insanely hot, you are barely moving so no breeze then the ship was completely overwhelmed with a shit ton of mosquitoes.

6 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I will say there's a surprising amount of Buc-ees clothing when sailing from Galveston.

Take from that what you will.

Been on 2 cruises. 1 out of Galveston, 1 out of San Francisco. SF was noticeably worse, though leaving that city was pretty amazing, with the view of the city, passing Alcatraz and going under the Golden Gate Bridge. But it was ghetto AF.

On 9/1/2023 at 5:21 PM, po elvis said:

Been on 2 cruises. 1 out of Galveston, 1 out of San Francisco. SF was noticeably worse, though leaving that city was pretty amazing, with the view of the city, passing Alcatraz and going under the Golden Gate Bridge. But it was ghetto AF.

Went to Barcelona out of Galveston on Disney.  Amazing but no unlimited alcoholic drink packages.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 7:09 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

I’ve sailed Crystal, Seabourn, Cunard and Silversea along with HAL, Princess and RCCl - Seabourn was my favorite of the bunch but Crystal is the most obscenely luxurious. These are not remotely close to Carnival, RCCL or NCL which are walmarts of the sea. 

In less than 2 weeks I'm cruising with Oceania. Definitely more than most cruiselines but from everything I've read it's worth it. Capacity is 698, and food is supposed to be outstanding. 

• Hook 'Em 1

" or NCL which are walmarts of the sea" w.r.t. NCL...sort of right...they have their "Haven" experience which is nice. It's like a ship within the ship. You get your own bar and restaurant (not formal, but table cloth service with a dress code), pool, and indoor and outdoor deck areas. Cabins get a Butler and the best part...you get walked down to special seating for any shows and on and off the boat first. 

48 minutes ago, next2naus said:

" or NCL which are walmarts of the sea" w.r.t. NCL...sort of right...they have their "Haven" experience which is nice. It's like a ship within the ship. You get your own bar and restaurant (not formal, but table cloth service with a dress code), pool, and indoor and outdoor deck areas. Cabins get a Butler and the best part...you get walked down to special seating for any shows and on and off the boat first. 

Also, NCL is going a different direction with their newest ships. They are definitely aiming for high-end. 

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Also, NCL is going a different direction with their newest ships. They are definitely aiming for high-end. 

sort of...my Inlaws are big cruisers and they have been on the new Prima boat...said while its nice, the Haven is smaller and roms are not as big. the Breakaway has the best Haven. 

1 minute ago, next2naus said:

sort of...my Inlaws are big cruisers and they have been on the new Prima boat...said while its nice, the Haven is smaller and roms are not as big. the Breakaway has the best Haven. 

You must have married well. $$$

22 hours ago, next2naus said:

I had all that shit on Royal Caribbiean. And it still sucked shit through a straw as wide as a softball. And I'll tell you, without that private bar and restaurant I'd probably have thrown myself overboard on day 2. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 12:44 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

Recreating Darwin's trip on the Beagle, huh?

Does scurvy cost extra?

They had already figured out that sauerkraut or lemon/lime juice prevented scurvy by the time Darwin sailed on the Beagle.  It was mostly eradicated at least on ships where the Captain and doctors weren't morons.

• Like 1

We've been on our Oceania cruise for a day and half and I am 100% sold. Smaller ship, around 860 people, and it makes a world of difference. 3:00 on a bright sunny afternoon, looking at Santorini, and the pool is calm with just a few people. Easy to get a lounge chair in the shade or sun and maybe 2 people in the pool. The food is as good or better than most places we go on a regular basis. Highly recommend. I will NEVER sail on Walmart on the sea again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting in the Tel Aviv airport after 12 days on Oceania. Loved it. Food is great and service is as well. We've already booked our next cruise with them. They offered incentives to book while on the cruise so we took advantage of it. I did a Carnival a few years ago because we went with friends that sail them. It's night and day. Never again on anything but Oceania.