2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Are there any good college baseball pods? Or do any specifically focused on us that actually cover baseball not just football offseason?

https://d1baseball.com/chats/d1baseball-weekly-chat-march-11/

D1 Baseball (not a member) has a Monday weekly chat on the National scene and often mentions Texas and the B12.    If you are on the site early (around 11AM ?) sometimes you can read before it is paywalled.    Or check their twitter to see if available.

afaik,  outside of that have to pick up tidbits from On3 and the paysites.   Not sure if Pierce has a weekly radio interview.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, torre said:

https://d1baseball.com/chats/d1baseball-weekly-chat-march-11/

D1 Baseball (not a member) has a Monday weekly chat on the National scene and often mentions Texas and the B12.    If you are on the site early (around 11AM ?) sometimes you can read before it is paywalled.    Or check their twitter to see if available.

afaik,  outside of that have to pick up tidbits from On3 and the paysites.   Not sure if Pierce has a weekly radio interview.

I’ve had the D1 sub before. It’s honestly usually pretty whack on their podcast and their app has Aids.

I wish the university could get zeke and zonk to do a weekly pod. That would be cool

7 hours ago, B00M said:

Well, at least the team can potentially build on this. Washington and Baylor appear to be even worse than us. Texas needs to go 8-2 over this 10 game home stand. Come out on the other side of this 19-8 (4-2) with some confidence… 

narrator: Texas loses to Incarnate Word

I was bored earlier so I looked up the current RPI rankings of the next 10 opponents.  With the preface that it's early and the rankings are volatile at this point in the year, we appear to have a lot of time to fix whats broken while piling up wins:

Incarnate Word (1 game) - 107

Washington (3 games) - 125

Air Force (2 games) - 78

Baylor (3 games) - 163

A&M CC (1 game) - 201

Kansas State (3 games) - 84

Abilene Christian (1 game) - 135

BYU (3 games) - 124

Texas State (2 games) - 166

Houston (3 games) - 60

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

I was bored earlier so I looked up the current RPI rankings of the next 10 opponents.  With the preface that it's early and the rankings are volatile at this point in the year, we appear to have a lot of time to fix whats broken while piling up wins:

Air Force (2 games) - 78

Baylor (3 games) - 163

A&M CC (1 game) - 201

BYU (3 games) - 124

Houston (3 games) - 60

I'll say this again... Remember when Baylor had a baseball program??

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Chance Wheeless destroyed it single-handedly.

Stayed at the same hotel as his dad in Omaha that year and chatted him up a bit. You could tell how cool that was for him to be there to see that HR.

4 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

If Air Force hits like they usually do, I could see a very high scoring game that Wednesday.

I actually randomly came across their stats the other day and was shocked to learn they are hitting .245 as a team. 

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I actually randomly came across their stats the other day and was shocked to learn they are hitting .245 as a team. 

Ouch. A team OPS of .716 tells me they aren't dropping many warheads on foreheads.

Tomorrow's pitchers:

PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUP
TUESDAY–Texas RHP Grant Fontenot (0-1. 1.50) vs. UIW LHP Dalton Beck (2-0, 5.40)

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

Air Force (2 games) - 78

Baylor (3 games) - 163

A&M CC (1 game) - 201

BYU (3 games) - 124

Houston (3 games) - 60

22-0 or I bring out the torches and pitchforks

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2024 at 9:26 PM, Levi said:

SIAP but Blake from On Texas Football reported yesterday that Miller is not coming back.

Hide contents

Yesterday the No. 24 ranked Longhorns made the trip to Lubbock, which saw them demolish No. 17 Texas Tech last night 22-8 in the first game of the series. 

One person who didn’t make that trip, however, was assistant/1st base coach Philip Miller.

While there are reports out there that he is taking a leave of absence, On Texas Football does not expect Miller to return. 

Expect an internal promotion to fulfill this role. 

On who could possibly fill the position. 

Hide contents

A couple of other things…

I was told this (the loss of Miller) won’t affect on the field play at all. 

Before anyone claims Pierce doesn’t want to promote Tulo or anything, that’s not the case. Sounds like Texas would love to have him in that role… But I don’t expect it to be him at all. 

I do like the name I heard, however. I think he could really help in certain areas of the team. 

16 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

@Levi, any update from your post last night? 

4 hours ago, Levi said:

I haven’t seen anything. 

If it's an internal hire and it's not Tulo, then I would assume it's going to be Chris Gordon.

Edited by MuellerHorn

48 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Isn’t Gordon in charge of pitching development? 

His official title is: Coordinator, Hitting and Pitching Development

At Duke: "Gordon served on the Duke baseball staff from 2017-22 and was elevated to the program’s Pitching Coach in February 2021 after four seasons as Special Assistant to the Head Coach."

Edited by MuellerHorn

Bad news and more bad news.  

Through a mutual contact, I reached out to John Oats' people.  To see if he could come to a UW tailgate this weekend and maybe throw out the first pitch.  But he's leaving SXSW on Friday and can''t make it.  

And this weekend's weather is gonna make it real hard to get in 27 innings (that's what she said).  Obviously it's nothing for the Huskies to work around rainfall, but kinda bummed.  But keep a watch on texassports.com for updates on gametimes as I'm sure they'll adjust.  

Good news-people in town for SXSW will think this place has crappy weather.  So there's that.  And we're looking a little bit better as of late on the diamond.  I'm sure I just jinxed everything but my private eyes say I'm out of touch.  

I completely agree.  I was just indicating that I strongly, to quite strongly, believe that 1 or more gametimes will have to be adjusted on the fly.  That's all.  

Works out well because rain like this could ruin John Oats' perm.  

• Haha 1

Christ Almighty, .219 team batting average, 9 total home runs, and 126 strikeouts in 12 games 

Team OPS appears to be under .700.

Our hitters strike out at about the same rate as them but damn, at least we do something when we make contact.

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I completely agree.  I was just indicating that I strongly, to quite strongly, believe that 1 or more gametimes will have to be adjusted on the fly.  That's all.  

Works out well because rain like this could ruin John Oats' perm.  

*Oates.  As in Hauling Oates.

14 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

But the In's possess it, no?  Or is it Ins?  As in multiple penetration like South Austin's Mom?  

Dammit, I love this game.  

RsBI

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Why would John Oates throw a first pitch at a Texas game? 

Because we live in a simulation.

32 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

But the In's possess it, no?  Or is it Ins?  As in multiple penetration like South Austin's Mom?  

Dammit, I love this game.  

An apostrophe before/after an "s" is to show possession/relation. RBI's is never correct. People do this incorrectly with acronyms and names all the time.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah dude, I was being sarcastic.  Would RsBI be better?  We could do this all day.  

I think back almost monthly to a great exchange between Harry Carry and Steve Stone growing up in Chicago watching WGN Cubs after school.  Relating to stats.  

"Hey Stoney, you're more of a stats man than me.  Up to bat is Gary Matthews, the Sarge.  Says here he's got 12 hits in his last 6 at-bats.  That's wild."

-Well Harry, he's technically got 12 hits.  But in his last 6 games.  Still impressive though.

"Like I said Stoney, you're better at math."  

• Haha 1

Look man, I contacted John Totes through a mutual contact.  He was actually flattered by the idea of throwing out the first pitch.  But Juan Choates couldn't make it after all.  And so Jon Otts is out due to scheduling conflicts.  But his other brother Darrell is available should we need him.  I'm just looking forward to squeezing in 3 games before the travel deal kicks in.

2 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Why would John Oates throw a first pitch at a Texas game? 

exactly GIF

59 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I seriously hope you didn't actually try to get him to come to a game.

227a90f6-ab40-4b4e-8011-b8cd9fa238a2_text.gif

edit: I didn't make the gif with the apostrophe 🤯

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Haha 1