Surly Horns Stampede To Tuscaloosa

immamac

Surly Horns from all over, we are beginning to plan our travel, lodging, accommodations, tailgate situation, etc for the 2nd weekend in September. There is an opportunity for us to have a home base established a short walk from both the shuttle and the stadium on game day. 

In order to plan correctly I need to get an idea of how many folks are planning to travel to the game, or to Tuscaloosa to tailgate and watch the game etc. Friends and family are welcome, just like every other Surly Tailgate.

We can grill ourselves, or we can have food catered in, although I'm not so sure about what's going on in Tuscaloosa from a food scene perspective. 

A few of us will likely be traveling in an RV to Tuscaloosa, the original intent was to have that be the tailgate home base, but it seems like there is no way to get within acceptable walking distance for a large group of people where we could have the RV. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ll be there for the game with my wife. Will come by and see y’all wherever y’all are holed up. Who else is riding with you in the RV?

I'm thinking just @RGBIII and @Tex48 and a Driver. Just so folks know where my head is at, we are either going to get the 20-40 person or the 40-60 person with white picket fence and fancy shit. If we have 50+ planning to attend, hang out and eat/drink it will be worth it, if we only have a few people dipping in we'll scale it back a bit and maybe focus on an after game meetup in the bar district with an open bar. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Alabama defensive lineman possibly off the team for punching an assistant strength coach

Posted on 6/17/23 at 7:19 am
up vote9down vote1
bkm1.png
quote:
According to Tide Illustrated’s Tony Tsoukalas, Crimson Tide fourth-year defensive lineman Jamil Burroughs’ status with the team is uncertain at this time. The reason behind the discipline is "serious enough to result in the redshirt junior's removal from the program.”

Burroughs reportedly struck assistant strength coach and former Alabama defensive lineman Josh Chapman after an argument surrounding the use of gel pellet guns. Tsoukalas reported that Burroughs and other Crimson Tide players were play-fighting with the toy weapons at Bryant Hall when police were called to the scene — as well as Chapman. The other players involved were cooperative — Burroughs apparently was not, striking Chapman in the process.
https://www.si.com/college/alabama/football/report-alabama-football-dl-jamil-burroughs-potentially-facing-removal-from-team-hannon
More room to tailgate now.

They are out of the big tents which is really annoying. Getting 2 20x20s is probably what we will end up doing but the cost gets a bit stupid with that set up, so unlike other tailgates where all donations go to the players and NIL slush fund we will apply donations to pay for the 2nd spot. (4500 each vs 5600 total for the 30x20)

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll be there in an RV.  I emailed uagameday.com last week about getting an RV pass, but haven't heard shit back yet.  Is there a better way?

– Single game RV passes will go on sale in Summer 2023

– Email info@uagameday.com to be contacted to purchase a 2023 season RV parking pas

We have 268D with the option until July 7 for 264 or 267 as an addon. 

I tried to get 88B, but apparently that one was taken. I'm pretty pissed off about the no package 4 availability. 

image.thumb.png.0dd8de59c0b83f1a7ceed815d104fc1b.png

Shuttle dropoff is on the top left corner of this map where the UA vs TBD is essentially. There were also no tents available in 1-23A where we would have been closest to the stadium.

Now I'm figuring out catering, as their options are pretty thin and not what I think would be appropriate for a game this big. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What would be the other option if you are staying further out?  Uber?  I will not be sober.

Uber and/or UA shuttle. Uber will be easy if you chill at the tailgate after the game for an hour or so. We will have plenty of beer and liquor most likely. I won't have been sober from Friday morning when we embark. Lmao. 

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

okay, look. I've eaten Tennessee bbq. I've eaten South Carolina bbq. and having done that, no way in hell I'm eating Alabama bbq.

That's a mistake tbh.  Some of it like Dreamland is pretty cliche but there are several places that are as good or better than anywhere else.

On 6/17/2023 at 3:54 PM, Ignatius said:

Definitely in for 2; I'll be staying in Birmingham on Friday and Saturday night, and am looking into logistics of a roundtrip bus for Saturday.

I’m also still wondering about options for gameday travel to and from Birmingham. Anyone have any leads?

I do have a backup plan because my friend and his GF are driving out there but would definitely prefer a group shuttle or something.

I recommend traditional southern cooking for catering options: Fried everything, smoked pork, with cornbread, greens, Mac and cheese,grits, and beans.

Anything else is a gamble.

Birmingham Civil Rights Institute is a must see if you have time.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 6/28/2023 at 6:02 AM, Longboard Horn said:

CW2GE2EWcAAY5nj.jpg

Well, it does. Kinda like getting waterboarded with vinegar or whatever the hell is in that sauce.

Independently of whether you like Alabama style BBQ, Dreamland is not the best of the genre. I think people just liked the original owner and they still go there in his memory, or because they like eating battery acid, who knows.

Edited by RDCanecutter

I'd rather sit in the county jail than attempt to drive to Tuscaloosa on game day, but if any of y'all hipsters are stayin at the Aloft in Homewood (because that's where y'all always stay,) give a holler and I'll shuffle down the street to imbibe one with you.

There are a dozen bars/restaurants that might as well be bars within walking distance of there, including one in the hotel itself.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

I’m also still wondering about options for gameday travel to and from Birmingham. Anyone have any leads?

I do have a backup plan because my friend and his GF are driving out there but would definitely prefer a group shuttle or something.

Amtrak supposedly leaves Birmingham at 1pm and gets into Tuscaloosa 1 hour later.

Unless it doesn't.

Pros: Not slowed down by 80,000 fans in their RVs driving on the roads. Also, you're in a train!

Cons: Chaotic interference from freight lines, or just Amtrak's own curious ways.

How you get back to Birmingham:

What, you wanted to get back?

Best I've got is to pretend you're a 20-year-old backpacker and make friends with people around you and let them know your return ride cancelled (sounds better than "I didn't make a plan for getting back.) Half the stadium will be from somewhere near Birmingham and will declare upon their honor, Sir, that you must let them give you a ride. Then you will be Jane Goodall among the Tide fans as they talk to you for a couple of hours in Andy Griffith voices and you know we'd love to see you again so stay in touch on Facebook hear?

[Edit-- probably enough local hippies will pack the train to make it hard to get a last-minute ticket, but who knows.]

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Hook 'Em 2

If you have time, I second Civil Rights Museum. I also highly recommend the Barber Motorcycle Museum. In Tuscaloosa, Archibald's is excellent. Dreamland is just okay and it will be a tourist trap. 

I have no idea where you will be able to park the RV but good luck. 

Archibald’s is worth the trip. It’s in Northport, but with kick at six you could justify early afternoon BBQ at Archibalds.

The Amtrak depot is five miles from the stadium, most of the way uphill and hot as a sizzling skillet on that day. Good luck finding a ride.

Get to the Quad, only a few blocks from the stadium. Drink, eat, bullshit, swagger around wearing burnt orange, have a great weekend, win or lose.

This is an historic meeting, so go! My guys  need five Ws to get to even with Texas. Bama-Texas is always a trip.

20 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

The Amtrak depot is five miles from the stadium, most of the way uphill and hot as a sizzling skillet on that day. Good luck finding a ride.

Are you maybe thinking about the bus station? Because the train station is 1.7 miles from the stadium. I thought the walk was fairly flat. Agree on the heat but that's one of the reasons I'd rather be in jail (you get shade, plus fewer drunks) than Ttown on game day.

Edited by RDCanecutter

• Pancho unpinned this topic