Guys who don't like sports

Modessit

Do you know any? Other than my dad, none of the guys I am close to care about sports at all. My best friend is gay and couldn't care less about sports, my other close friends barely know Texas has a football team, and my brother is useless.

There is/was a commercial with Dan Marino talking about home equity and mortgages and it starts with Dan saying, "Hi, I'm Dan Marino." I told my dad that if someone knows who Dan Marino is they don't need to be told he's Dan Marino, but if they don't know who Dan Marino is being told he's Dan Marino won't help. Just then - My brother walked in and said, "Why is David Hasselhoff on TV?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

None of my friends watch any sports except for the 4 of us that are Arsenal fans. Ages range from 34-45.   The other 3 only watch Arsenal and no other sports. My only other sports I follow are Texas football and track & field. I have never watched a baseball game in my life. I haven't watched basketball since Jordan retired except for one Texas game I went to a couple of years ago. I haven't watched a non-Texas football game that wasn't the BCS playoffs/championships in probably 5 years. I'm easily the biggest sports fan in my social group and I wouldn't call myself one. 

Edited by CooterBrown

My FIL was one guy who didn’t give a flying fuck about sports. He’s dead now.  He preferred bitching about politics.  It was a constant assbeating.

Paternal grandfather loved pro wrestling but did NGAF about sports other than gambling on it.

Almost all of my friends like sports.  Most of my family love sports, including the ladies.

it’s the ultimate reality TV...unless it’s the NBA.

31 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

None of my friends watch any sports except for the 4 of us that are Arsenal fans. Ages range from 34-45.   The other 3 only watch Arsenal and no other sports. My only other sports I follow are Texas football and track & field. I have never watched a baseball game in my life. I haven't watched basketball since Jordan retired except for one Texas game I went to a couple of years ago. I haven't watched a non-Texas football game that wasn't the BCS playoffs/championships in probably 5 years. I'm easily the biggest sports fan in my social group and I wouldn't call myself one. 

In all seriousness, how do you grow up in this country without ever seeing a baseball game and becoming a hardcore Arsenal fan (not to mention track and field)? I can understand not being a sports fan at all, I guess, if you didn’t grow up with it - I’m not a hunter, for instance, because my dad wasn’t, just didn’t grow up doing it-but your mix is definitely unusual.

I have a few friends who are only into combat sports. 

I follow scores on ESPN and watch occasionally but am much less invested than I used to be. As I have increased my own activities and after losing my grandfather my interest has waned. 

My solution consultant doesn’t care about sports. At all. In fact I’m not sure what he does like. He does do competition bbq so that’s cool.

I like sports but know next to nothing about it. I have season tickets to GT (since the 90s) and Atlanta United, rarely miss either play at home, live for the tailgate, have been to see Arsenal play in London, usually get in a couple Falcons and Braves games per year. But I don’t keep up with any of the stats or player moves or any of that stuff. I adopted Texas as my 2nd college team when I was working for Dell, that’s how I ended up here.

My brain is a tome of useless info about music, but it doesn’t retain anything about sports.

11 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

In all seriousness, how do you grow up in this country without ever seeing a baseball game and becoming a hardcore Arsenal fan (not to mention track and field)? I can understand not being a sports fan at all, I guess, if you didn’t grow up with it - I’m not a hunter, for instance, because my dad wasn’t, just didn’t grow up doing it-but your mix is definitely unusual.

He's a hipster.

My retard strength is useless sports information. All of my friends and family are sports fans as well to some degree. Some are into motor sports and some into soccer, but they are at least into some sports. All through my childhood and into my mid 30’s I would watch every game I could of my favorite teams and would watch all of the playoffs/championships of all college football, basketball, and baseball and of the 4 major sports in North America.These days if my team isn’t in it, I don’t watch it.

My retard strength is useless sports information. All of my friends and family are sports fans as well to some degree. Some are into motor sports and some into soccer, but they are at least into some sports. All through my childhood and into my mid 30’s I would watch every game I could of my favorite teams and would watch all of the playoffs/championships of all college football, basketball, and baseball and of the 4 major sports in North America.These days if my team isn’t in it, I don’t watch it.

NTTAWWT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll watch a game here and there, but my fanhood and ability to watch sports is waning. Partly because I have nothing to do with these teams. Sure, I may have gone to school there or it's a corporation near where I live but why would I get nervous or feel accomplished when they win? 

Maybe it was just my alma mater covering up rapes to win football games that turned me off major sports. 

My bro-in-law's really into pro football - mainly for fantasy football. But my wife's side - her dad, brother, brother-in-laws, sisters, etc - have no clue sports even exist. It's a real beating when they want to schedule a birthday get- together when a UT game is on. But I just don't go. My sister-in-law once asked me how come I rarely show up for her impromptu dinner get-togethers and I told her if she wants me to be there she needs to check the UT football schedule first.

• Like 3

If it’s not college football or TCU, I don’t care until the Mavs or Stars make the playoffs. Stopped caring about pro football when the Cowboys started sucking after the introduction of the salary cap with an exception in 2007 when I was in a fantasy league. Except for the Mavs’ playoff runs, haven’t regularly watched pro basketball since Jordan hung it up the second time. Never cared for baseball much until TCU got really good and they’re the limit of my interest. Never cared for soccer, wrestling, or motor sports. Don’t like it much when people say “sportsball”, because there’s rarely a need to shit on someone else’s interests unless it is causing problems in their lives. 

Edited by Apep

My dad is an old hippie. He was actually a really good high school baseball player but never watched sports. We mainly listened to music in our house. Growing up in south Texas in the 70s/80s, you had 4 channels over the air: CBS, NBC, ABC, and PBS. During the day as a kid, you were outside from morning to dinner. I never saw ESPN until college. Evening TV was a fixed family event back in those days. Only time the kids controlled the TV was on Saturday mornings. If your parents didn’t watch sports, you didn’t either.

I was a track fan since I was little. My hometown had a really large AAU summer track program so I started that when I was in 2nd grade. Ran track through one year of college and occasionally do masters events still. As for Arsenal, my mom’s boss went to London for vacation when I was in junior high and he brought me back some Arsenal swag. I’m sure he’d never heard of them but they were the first one the rack in the store. When I started watching soccer, I picked Arsenal as my team because of that. I happened to buy a house on a street where 3 of the guys I became friends with were all Arsenal fans already.

Today, I can’t really sit still to watch sports I’m not invested in. I have to be constantly moving.

9 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Don’t forget about Portland and Seattle. Their soccer rivalry is a bloodbath. They’ve hated each other even before they joined MLS.

Oregon and Washington hate each other.

It is very crystallized in Portland vs. Seattle sports events.

12 hours ago, Modessit said:

There is/was a commercial with Dan Marino talking about home equity and mortgages and it starts with Dan saying, "Hi, I'm Dan Marino." I told my dad that if someone knows who Dan Marino is they don't need to be told he's Dan Marino, but if they don't know who Dan Marino is being told he's Dan Marino won't help. J

Any youngster less than 24 yo never saw Dan Marino play.

53 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

There's something kind of....... ewwwwwwwww about a guy who doesn't like sports.

My daughter's boyfriend.  He's from NYC, so it could be worse -- he could be a Yankee fan.

We have nothing to talk about.  When she goes to hockey games, she goes with his roommate.

21 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

My daughter's boyfriend.  He's from NYC, so it could be worse -- he could be a Yankee fan.

We have nothing to talk about.  When she goes to hockey games, she goes with his roommate.

Hell, I can even sit down with my daughter and watch a football or basketball game, but the son in law isn't much into sports either.

He's a big time fisherman and hunter though so there's common ground.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah, I know a few. Mostly artists/musicians.

Some of the biggest baseball fans I know are musicians. But, yeah, there are plenty in that set who don't give a fig about any sport.

My grandfather didn't care for sports, but then, he was the son of German immigrants who came to this country with nothing in the late 19th century and he pretty much spent the  first 60 years of his life working 10-12 hours a day to provide for a large extended family. He couldn't understand why my brother and I were so obsessed with chasing little leather balls around.

9 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Some of the biggest baseball fans I know are musicians. But, yeah, there are plenty in that set who don't give a fig about any sport.

My grandfather didn't care for sports, but then, he was the son of German immigrants who came to this country with nothing in the late 19th century and he pretty much spent the  first 60 years of his life working 10-12 hours a day to provide for a large extended family. He couldn't understand why my brother and I were so obsessed with chasing little leather balls around.

Good thing Lou Gehrig didn't have that ethos.

• Haha 1

I've watched one NFL game in the last 10 years.  It's a complete waste of time.  I hate the NBA, golf, and NASCAR.  I don't really like College Basketball except for the Horns and maybe a few games of the NCAA tournament.  College football is probably the only sport I really follow and even that's waning.  

Yeah, I only care about a few sports. College (longhorn) football, soccer (I used to follow la liga and serie a, but am essentially down to international), and sometimes mma (I used to watch it religiously, but I am tired of it and would rather just go train jiu jitsu. I don’t care about pro football, any basketball or baseball.

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The other 3 only watch Arsenal and no other sports.

I don't understand these kind of people at all.  I suspect they really don't even like Arsenal/soccer; they're just following them to have an identity.

You see this kind of stuff most with the sport of soccer.  And aggy.

• Like 1

My younger cousin (age 21) gives no fucks about sports. He used to play baseball growing up and into high school and then switched to golf but in terms of keeping up with them, he doesn't at all. He does like to play some of the sports video games though which is odd.

A lot males in his age group don't give a shit about sports.

6 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Make a roll.

Make it wide?  

Also, to be fair to some folks...it's not that we don't like sports.....It's just that we don't have the spare time some of y'all do.  Levity aside, it's not that I'm honestly making fun of a guy who wakes up Sunday, goes to church or brunch and then watches NFL from noon to 10pm.  I have 50 friends and business colleagues that do that.  I like watching individual plays in the NFL.  I just don't have the lifestyle where I can sit for 20 straight weeks and do that at home or a bar or go to Vegas for a fantasy draft.  We like football, we just can't afford to take to the Nth degree like some of y'all do.  

I like College Football. I will go to a local baseball game, but damned if I'll choose to sit through it on TV.

Don't gamble or identify with any pro teams, so no reason to to watch most other things.

Your characters approach a rusty metal porticullis at the end of the corridor. There are lumpish shapes on the floor that turn out to be skeletons in fragments of chainmail armor. Orkish, from the one skull that survives unsmashed. You hear water dripping, nothing else. What do you do?

Loot the bodies, quickly dispersing the bones in the process so that, if they reanimate, it will be fucking funny.

Most of the guys I know who aren't into sports are into something else, music/family/business/motorcycle club in one case and law/engineering/politics in another. There are probably a few geeks who don't talk about not being into sports who are, in fact, not into sports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apep said:

Loot the bodies, quickly dispersing the bones in the process so that, if they reanimate, it will be fucking funny.

It turns out that one of the skeletons' codpieces was cursed.

Make saving throws for both charisma and dexterity to defend against unwanted ghostly sexual advances, or else you get a femur in the butt. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
THAC0

I wish i didnt care about sports. thered be less heartache and let downs...plus my cable bill would be pretty much over the air antenna and netflix

I can think of one guy in his late 40s I know that doesnt watch any sport, but still brings up the Vikings once in a while even though i know he doesnt watch the games. big music/band/guitar geek

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

I used to be a sports junkie. Watched any game of the big 4 (hoops, football, baseball, hockey) that came on ESPN. Over the years, my interest has waned significantly. One of the last things I fought about with my ex-wife when we were married was going to the lake with her family the same weekend that Oklahoma State played in Athens against Georgia. I flat refused to go, I knew my dipshit brother-in-law would dominate the remote and we had already been to the lake twice that summer. She went without me, we were divorced later that year.  (Not due to sports watching, there were plenty of other issues. )

Now? I cut the cord 2 years ago, don't miss it. I can find a stream online for just about anything, if I really need to. I watch every OSU football game, most 49ers games, some Thunder games. I only watch baseball when the Giants make the playoffs. I won't watch 99% of games that don't include my favorite teams. So no world series, super bowl, etc.

It's kind of like the radio. I stopped listening to new music 20 years ago. I'm fine with my old shit, be it listening to Masters of Puppets or watching Super Bowl 24 on youtube.

NFL

- Would never miss a Cowboy game (1-15 or 15-1, doesn’t matter)

- I’m a useless human on Sunday’s, because football is on until 3:30 games are over.  Will watch 7p game if compelling 

NHL

- I always know standings, watch about 1/4 of Stars games live, rest of games I record, then fast forward until crunch time.  Playoffs live

MLB

- always know standings, will watch last couple of innings of Ranger games if close.  Playoffs live (though obviously rarely happens)

NBA

- meh.....Mavs games pretty much same as Rangers

I’d never miss a Texas game, not even for wedding or funeral

Guess my response doesn’t even address OP’s point.....so I’ll add that my guy friends probably would answer the same as I did :)

My father and uncle began attending Green Bay Packers games at the Wisconsin State Fair Milwaukee Mile racetrack in the early 1950s. The Pack wasn't doing very well financially and split their home games between Green Bay and Milwaukee. Watching the game on Sunday afternoon was a family tradition. My little sister's first words were, "Go Packer!" Since 1995, homes games exclusively at Green Bay.  

It must have been 1999 when my father asked me if I wanted his tickets. I don't know how long the wait is for season tickets. It's common for a father to register his newborn son hoping that by the time the kid is fifty, he'll have tickets to the game. Somewhere I read it was estimated at three hundred years. Most people inherit theirs.

I told him no. If I wasn't going to the game with my dad, I wasn't going. Sell them to Uncle Ken. That way they'll still be in the family.   

As an aside note: My wife and I were visiting a friend's family. He asked if I'd like to go to the football game. "Sure, do you have tickets?" "No, we can pick some up at the box office."

Whaaaaa ....  

I asked my dad why was he no longer interested. Partly because he could not justify the ticket prices and player salaries. He grew up during the Great Depression. When he started going to games, tickets were a couple of bucks. Players had jobs during the off season and worked after their NFL careers. Bart Starr owned a Lincoln Mercury dealership. Fuzzy Thurston and Max McGee owned a string of supper clubs.

Dad said he was getting too old for winter games at Lambeau. At a December game at the old Milwaukee County Stadium, he asked me if I wanted to go "inside" for a hot chocolate. This was a guy who spent two years camping out during the Korean War.

Then there was Brett Crybaby Favre. A prima donna. On the sidelines either he was constantly talking a stream of crap or clammed up and sulking. I remember him walking on the field for Super Bowl XXXII and the camera zoomed in. He had that petulant look about him. My dad said,  "Damn it to hell. The Packers are going to lose." Only time I heard him swear. Turned off the TV and left the room. Only Super Bowl / AFL–NFL World Championship Game we didn't watch. Denver Broncos 31, Packers 24. 

Then Brett started that off season retirement or leaving for another team trashtalk.

VdXtYRK5_o.png

Sayonara, pal. Don't let the door hit you.

My father passed away. Been to a few games with my uncle or cousins. I am getting to the point where I cannot justify spending as much on a football game as on a Rolling Stones concert.

My Dad was a firm believer that all college and pro sports were rigged and let everyone know about it regularly. Think he lost a lot of money on an Army/Navy game during WWII, but never got the whole story out of him.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RPM said:

My Dad was a firm believer that all college and pro sports were rigged and let everyone know about it regularly. Think he lost a lot of money on an Army/Navy game during WWII, but never got the whole story out of him.

Parlay sheets had a minimum bet of $2 and a ten-teamer paid off at 1000:1. Damn you Maryland Terrapins!

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

My younger cousin (age 21) gives no fucks about sports. He used to play baseball growing up and into high school and then switched to golf but in terms of keeping up with them, he doesn't at all. He does like to play some of the sports video games though which is odd.

A lot males in his age group don't give a shit about sports.

Yep. My son played baseball and lacrosse in school but he couldn't give less of a shit about watching sports on TV, and neither did most of his friends. I tried and tried to get him to watch games with me and he just wasn't interested, ever. 

And it's not like he's a pussy -- he's active duty army. 

• Like 1

9 times out of ten I'll say that I'm really into college football, and new friend prospect says "I'm really into NFL" or "I'm really into golf."

i think I hang out with too many elitist whities.

luckily my inner circle is all die hard longhorn and my kid is probably the most intense UT fan I've ever met. Brainwashing him was the smartest thing I ever did. UT sports buddy for life AND someone to look out for me when I'm old!

Myself, I was an Oilers diehard until they moved, and when I watch the Texans, I hate them so much, whoever plays them is my favorite team that week. College basketball was ruined with the one and done crap. I soured on the NBA when I started to believe it was rigged in the 1990s. 

Still love Horns football and the Astros, and that's about it.