221 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you wear a watch?

• almost daily usage
    • Once or twice a week
    • Only for dressier occasions/ nice dinners/ events
    • More than 10 years ago
    • Muledick

On 7/1/2023 at 7:27 PM, dcbc said:

Granted, all my stuff is old, but the guy that services my watches said stay away from autowinders.  They only decrease the service interval on wear parts. 

But since I don't use them, the date on my only automatic with a date function is always wrong because ain't nobody got time for that.

Also, now that I’m old, I can’t read the date without my glasses anyway, so my date hasn’t been set in years. 

I used to mock the cyclops on a Rolex, but I get it now.

• Hook 'Em 1

I remember about 10 years ago, I had taken my watch off at the office because it was warm on our floor and I didn't want to sweat.  We're going into the conference room and one of my new analysts says as I'm putting my watch back on, "I don't understand why people still wear watches, my phone tells the time just fine."  And I just thought to myself, "Bless your heart, you think we wear watches to tell the time."  I don't have the humblebrag collection some of y'all do, but I had a few nice ones over the years.  Wore a watch every single day for 30 years, and a few years ago I just stopped and haven't missed it a single day.  They were annoying, locked in heat, and I have very large hands/wrists which made typing on standard keyboards and mousepads a fucking chore.  I would basically wear it into the office, put in a drawer and take it out to drive it home.  Fucking dumb.

I know they can complete an ensemble very nicely, but I also find not giving a fuck anymore to be even more enjoyable.  The tie clip used to be an important accessory until we realized it didn't matter one way or the other.  And it fits in nicely with my lifelong mantra of no jewelry, no class ring, no frat ring, no bracelets, no earrings, no tattoos, no facial hair, no hip hairdos,  no necklace, no piercings, just a wedding ring and a sarcastic smile.  Been all around the world twice, met everybody once, and have never ever walked away and given the man's accessory ensemble any thought except the occasional, "What the fuck was up with that guy's head?"  

Having said that, my physician wants me to take more frequent readings of blood oxygen levels, ECG, and heart rate in addition to the wi-fi blood pressure machine I have and use a couple times a day.  So he offers me this little device that clips onto a belt or pocket.  Yeah, no.  So I got some new latest and greatest apple watch which takes those three measurements (still do the BP from home before/after work), and it relays them to my phone which pushes them to his staff for data aggregation.  Works pretty well, and I can wear it while swimming laps since the pool doesn't have a deck clock.  But I only put it on for the readings and to swim/hike/bike, then take it back off.  I gotta figure out how to turn off all the other synch shit on it to the off position. 

If you like wearing them, wear them.  It's just another one of those things you quit noticing on other people little by little until one day, you can't remember any watch of note.  I do catch myself still noticing other people's shoes though.  I guess because my feet are so fucking goofy, I'm always looking for alternative solutions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I remember about 10 years ago, I had taken my watch off at the office because it was warm on our floor and I didn't want to sweat.  We're going into the conference room and one of my new analysts says as I'm putting my watch back on, "I don't understand why people still wear watches, my phone tells the time just fine."  And I just thought to myself, "Bless your heart, you think we wear watches to tell the time."  I don't have the humblebrag collection some of y'all do, but I had a few nice ones over the years.  Wore a watch every single day for 30 years, and a few years ago I just stopped and haven't missed it a single day.  They were annoying, locked in heat, and I have very large hands/wrists which made typing on standard keyboards and mousepads a fucking chore.  I would basically wear it into the office, put in a drawer and take it out to drive it home.  Fucking dumb.

I know they can complete an ensemble very nicely, but I also find not giving a fuck anymore to be even more enjoyable.  The tie clip used to be an important accessory until we realized it didn't matter one way or the other.  And it fits in nicely with my lifelong mantra of no jewelry, no class ring, no frat ring, no bracelets, no earrings, no tattoos, no facial hair, no hip hairdos,  no necklace, no piercings, just a wedding ring and a sarcastic smile.  Been all around the world twice, met everybody once, and have never ever walked away and given the man's accessory ensemble any thought except the occasional, "What the fuck was up with that guy's head?"  

Having said that, my physician wants me to take more frequent readings of blood oxygen levels, ECG, and heart rate in addition to the wi-fi blood pressure machine I have and use a couple times a day.  So he offers me this little device that clips onto a belt or pocket.  Yeah, no.  So I got some new latest and greatest apple watch which takes those three measurements (still do the BP from home before/after work), and it relays them to my phone which pushes them to his staff for data aggregation.  Works pretty well, and I can wear it while swimming laps since the pool doesn't have a deck clock.  But I only put it on for the readings and to swim/hike/bike, then take it back off.  I gotta figure out how to turn off all the other synch shit on it to the off position. 

If you like wearing them, wear them.  It's just another one of those things you quit noticing on other people little by little until one day, you can't remember any watch of note.  I do catch myself still noticing other people's shoes though.  I guess because my feet are so fucking goofy, I'm always looking for alternative solutions. 

Tie clips- all from my grandfather.  It's purely homage to him when I wear them, with virtually zero utility versus the West Texas wind..  I get that sentiment from some folks' posts on their watches too.

Edited by slorch

My grandpa, too. Of course, he lived and worked in the Windy City. But every photograph in a suit, he had a nice tie clip, always perfectly level.  And a lapel pin.  Either his company logo or some charity he was serving or a cross.  Usually a pocket square, but always the tie bar and lapel pin.  I helped pick out the ones for his funeral.  

so I take back what I said about having not noticed a man’s watch in years.  I notice them on corpses.  Is that anything?  

I do appreciate a really well made timepiece with serious engineering.  I may save a nice one to give to my daughter’s husband one day.  But he’d probably say something innocuous like, “uh thanks, what is it?”  And I’d have to restrain from saying, “See, I had a feeling you were fucking stupid but I didn’t want to say anything in front of her or my wife.”  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

When I worked in an office I wore one every day.  Working from home I wear one whenever we do anything sociable.  It used to feel weird to not have a watch on, now it feels weird to have one on.

This. It used to be part of my ensemble and had to work well with my cuffs on my suit and all that.

Now I mostly wear tank tops and gym shorts and throw a dress shirt and a jacket on when I have a meeting. Would be too much effort to go get my watch from my closet upstairs (Singular "watch." With nowhere to wear them, I've since sold them all but my first one -- which has sentimental value -- including the pie pan constellation that I wanted for so long)

• 3 months later...

I have worked from home as a CRO and CEO for about 10 years. I never get to "cuff." I wear these watches maybe once a month. Less. Some are tens of thousands of dollars, some are 700. A couple (tag - no way I would buy a tag) are my dead fathers.

My housekeeper asked me a week ago if I wanted the watches on my dresser. Or if I didn't want some of them, because they hadn't moved...for months. She's dusting them, basically. 15 watches worth well over 6 figures x 2, doing nothing, haphazardly across my dresser...for years.

Working from home and watch game is no bueno.

The Breitling Super Ocean Heritage Chrono is my fav, worth about 2k (cost about 3600 - Breitling is not an investment).

Pepsi is second. Maybe first, since I wear it most. But I love the Breitling in the rubber band.

Lip Special forces/Military and some other collectibles are cool to have.

I asked my daughter, who has a two-tone date rolex already, if she wanted one - pepsi or batman. she's "nah, I'm good." Really? Jesus. Wait, really? You don't want a 2ok rolex?

"Not really. As a 15 year old, I would have murdered my whole family for my dads 2 tone sub in the 80s. Values change. Truth is, Rolex is jewelry. Finely crafted jewelry, but decoration. The run up is not going to continue. 

Or, I'm wrong, and I will have 4 rolexes worth 4-5x what I paid for them, and my daugher can sell for a vacation in Bali. 

IMG_1623.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

I miss it sometimes now that I'm rereading parts of this thread.  I had two nice ones.  I sold one and donated one.  Maybe I'll pick up one down the road for some milestone birthday I can gift to a Son in Law.  But I noticed today doing crosswalk duty that I wanted to know what time it was and had to fish my phone out of my pocket and that's just enough time for some asshole in their F-250 to hit a kid.  so I guess I need to wear one for that, but it feels so nice to be unfettered having pretty much stopped wearing one a couple years ago.  

Obviously it serves a function.  But to me it makes me think of you guys that wear multiple rings or multiple bracelets or necklaces or any of that cranial accessorization (RIP, Mitch).  One watch obviously, but how do some men decide like, "Okay, seven bracelets is too much, let's go with six.  I wear two rings on my left hand and then a thumb ring and a one more ring on my right hand.  And then 2 necklaces when I'm chilling with my bros, but 1 necklace for work."  How do people decide that shit?  I don't even like wearing a hat.  Why do people wanna put so much shit on their heads and hands?  /rant

5 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I wear a watch as an excuse to leave.  Glance at my watch is easier than the phone. "Sorry - I've got a 2:30 I just can't get out of"

That worked well for me for 10-15 years but now when I try it, it comes off as even more asshole-ish than I already am.  My go-to now is just set a vibrating alarm on my phone with some random acronym.  I folkishly say, "Pardon me, I only get these texts if it's about my daughters."  I pause, and say, "Excuse me, I gotta handle this real quick." and I fade away. 

I was at a conference the other night and there were a lot of MBA students there trying to network and I appreciate that this generation is trying to engage older folks.  But I was in no mood, I wanted to eat, not drink, and leave.  I give out enough free mentoring and advice in my teaching role.  So I'm legit texting my girls before they head up to bed and we're exchanging silly emojis 'n shit.  And this kid would just not quit fucking talking to me.  I was sitting and he was standing right over me and I tell him 2 or 3 times, "Let's exchange info and talk later, I'm messaging my family right now."  And he just starts on another roll, "What advice do you have for me on this and that and the other?"  Finally, my phone buzzed back and I said, "Whoa, look at the time...I'm gonna get out of here and tuck them in while I still can."  I said, "If you want honest advice, never, ever, keep pressing someone who says they're talking to their kids.  Spouse or friend or work call, maybe.  But never if they say it's their kids.  Circle back to them later."  Had I been wearing a watch, I could never have been so condescending.  But seriously, people of all generations need to learn...if the other person says it's family related, go use the restroom or get a drink and find them later.  Not that fucking hard.

I wear one every day and appreciate the craftsmanship and mechanical nature of the watches.  My daily wear is a Cartier Santos.  Now 40 years old.  Bought it new and paid $65/month at 18%.  It used to lose a minute or two over time and now runs a minute or two fast over a couple of weeks.  Autowinder and never take it off.  It looks a little old and tired, but so do it.  Great memories were made wearing this watch.  Date nights with the wife is the 118 series Rolex President.  Champagne dial and Roman numerals.  When I was a young idiot out of school, I got selected to work on my skills as an expert witness.  I was sent to John Drola(now deceased) and he worked on my speaking skills and my clothing appearance.  He sent me to Houston to have my suit made, over off Anderson Lane to have my shirts made, Neiman Marcus for ties.  And always wear cashmere socks and English dress shoes.  Always wear a Rolex.  Looking smart and successful is 1/2 the battle.  Times have changed.

• Hook 'Em 3

I wear a smaller G-Shock daily or a tag I was given.
I have a Tag F1 Gulf edition that I also mix in.

I also have a cheap digital Casio for soccer practice because the numbers are big on the stop watch function. I need readers with my contacts or big numbers.

I want a moon phase and I want a really nice dress watch, but I’m in no hurry for those.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

That worked well for me for 10-15 years but now when I try it, it comes off as even more asshole-ish than I already am. 

You kind of have to sell it more these days.  From the start of the conversation/meeting to the end, you visibly and ostentatiously glance at the watch over and over, more and more frequently as time passes, possibly with a panicked expression if needed.  Then you announce at the right time.

• Like 1

You're a better seller than I am.  I try the occasional glance but they can just tell I'm faking it.  The phone vibration thing helps sell the "Oh sorry, it's the kids...I gotta take this."  One of the nice pieces I had that I just ended up selling last year finally started losing time each week---couple seconds.  I was tired of putting money into it and it had a massive case because I have extremely large hands (and corresponding wrists for a guy my height---just a hair shy of 11" shy thumb to pinky.  So it wasn't like I could pass it down to any normal sized person.  Anyway, it did remind me though that originally I bought timepieces for not just the aesthetics but the accuracy/craftsmanship.  Now, what the fuck does it matter---everything is synched to satellites not old Jewish watchmakers in Ouates.  But I do see a piece every now and again that looks really good on somebody that harkons me back.  But it's usually somebody on TV with much better looks and somebody else's budget.  Ah well.

Years and years ago, I would tell young people that whole, "If you're on time, you're late" deal as a business tip.  Be there at least 10 minutes early.  Anything more than 15 is creepy and lurking.  10 minutes can account for the fact that their watch or car clock may be off from yours.  Which was often the case.  But with everybody synched up now worldwide, IMHO, arriving 10 minutes early to an office lobby or restaurant or whatever seems a little strange.  5 minutes is sufficient, even 3 if the weather outside is hot as balls.  So all that to say, I'm getting antsy to buy a watch again but the mechanics and movement are no longer as important as they used to be.  I used to anal-retentively readjust all the analog clocks and watches in my life every month or so.  But there's really not much left to do anymore.  

On 10/27/2023 at 10:03 AM, YGIFS said:

Obviously it serves a function.  But to me it makes me think of you guys that wear multiple rings or multiple bracelets or necklaces or any of that cranial accessorization (RIP, Mitch).  One watch obviously, but how do some men decide like, "Okay, seven bracelets is too much, let's go with six.  I wear two rings on my left hand and then a thumb ring and a one more ring on my right hand.  And then 2 necklaces when I'm chilling with my bros, but 1 necklace for work."  How do people decide that shit?  I don't even like wearing a hat.  Why do people wanna put so much shit on their heads and hands?  /rant

A wedding ring and a (non-ridiculous) watch is easily within the bounds of traditional conservative men’s fashion in most daily contexts (wristwatch is not traditionally black tie appropriate). Tool watches have become normal in non-tool settings (for decades) and stuff evolves but generally I think wedding ring and watch is the room you have to play in from a jewelry perspective (as a surly demo grown man) without becoming one of those guys.

Haven’t worn a wristwatch in 5 or 6 years, but with recent cardiovascular problems & two surgeries in recent months, I think I’ll get one of those Apple Watches that monitors for Afib & does ECGs.

I wear one now, and that’s why I got it. It’s nice to get a summary report each week noting that a-fib hasn’t been an issue.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/17/2023 at 4:24 PM, YGIFS said:

Hell ya

• 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

My granddad was a huge UT fan who took me to my first Texas-Ou game when I was eleven.  When he passed away in 1977, my grandmother gave me his watch.  It’s a classic Hamilton that he absolutely loved.  I wear that watch every damn day in memory of my granddad. 

Hamilton’s slam, go very hard.  I’ve probably gotten at least a half dozen compliments from people wearing watches that cost way more over the years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/27/2023 at 9:13 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

I wear a watch as an excuse to leave.  Glance at my watch is easier than the phone. "Sorry - I've got a 2:30 I just can't get out of"

I had no idea my spouse posted on this message board....really though that's what he does.

To all you that wear watches every day, especially the nicer ones: It's sexy a good watch is and fwiw, when a guy is wearing a quality watch and has his sleeves slightly rolled  up his forearms so you can see it, well that's just mighty fine. Eye-catching and practical is not a bad compliment when you consider it, yeah?

On 10/29/2023 at 10:04 PM, Brisketexan said:

I wear one now, and that’s why I got it. It’s nice to get a summary report each week noting that a-fib hasn’t been an issue.

…unless AI knows you are having problems with your a-fib and it wants to kill you

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I had no idea my spouse posted on this message board....really though that's what he does.

To all you that wear watches every day, especially the nicer ones: It's sexy a good watch is and fwiw, when a guy is wearing a quality watch and has his sleeves slightly rolled  up his forearms so you can see it, well that's just mighty fine. Eye-catching and practical is not a bad compliment when you consider it, yeah?

I don't disagree, but it seems like a young kid move: if you're young-ish and have a great watch, it's compelling...cuz you're accelerated. You're a catch.

At 50...not so much.  I have several watches worth more than 10k apiece...and no one gives a shit. No one. I'm not bragging, I'm saying no one I know cares how much I've spent on watches. I thought it mattered at 20...at 40 I suspected it didn't. At 50 I feel weird wearing them at all. The second cheapest watch I own, Brietling SOH, gets the most comments. These people just don't know. Or care. 

TL;DR - take that 10k and invest it in the S&P. Amex High interest savings account at 5%. Something that is not a watch. Watches are not an investment.

Unless you dig watches....watches you dig matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Valid points especially regarding investment dollars. Mine was more of a personal observation, and comments made among other friends (regarding characteristics we find attractive about our spouses/men in general). Granted, we're not twenty somethings either and to your point--we're not likely to say anything aloud to anyone other than our guys. It's not a status thing nor a 'how much did one spend or have to spend'--it's hard to explain in a way. It's more along the lines of, or perhaps similar to the way one might notice how a nice pair of heels accentuates the calves and so on. As a rule, I don't comment (in person) on other people's clothing, etc. It's a minefield and diplomacy, manners, and tact are underappreciated these days. But this is Surly so I thought I'd say that watches are a useful and attractive accessory.

*My spouse has several nice watches but he wears a beat up Timex for work (sentimental reasons). My oldest's bf is into the mechanical watches but I'm not sure what all he has other than I think he has a Hamilton of which he's fond. My older brother inherited our dad's watches and he had a solid collection.

8 hours ago, Welshy said:

I don't disagree, but it seems like a young kid move: if you're young-ish and have a great watch, it's compelling...cuz you're accelerated. You're a catch.

At 50...not so much.  I have several watches worth more than 10k apiece...and no one gives a shit. No one. I'm not bragging, I'm saying no one I know cares how much I've spent on watches. I thought it mattered at 20...at 40 I suspected it didn't. At 50 I feel weird wearing them at all. The second cheapest watch I own, Brietling SOH, gets the most comments. These people just don't know. Or care. 

TL;DR - take that 10k and invest it in the S&P. Amex High interest savings account at 5%. Something that is not a watch. Watches are not an investment.

Unless you dig watches....watches you dig matter. 

Spot on. In your 20's the prestige matters because it means you have a good job and high earning power (or family money).

In your 40's and 50's it's just one of many a wrist accoutrement you can choose depending on your style and personality. I suspect that is why Lloyd Blankfein was famous for wearing a fitbit or apple watch while his 20-year old associates were spending bonuses on luxury watches. 

2 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Spot on. In your 20's the prestige matters because it means you have a good job and high earning power (or family money).

In your 40's and 50's it's just one of many a wrist accoutrement you can choose depending on your style and personality. I suspect that is why Lloyd Blankfein was famous for wearing a fitbit or apple watch while his 20-year old associates were spending bonuses on luxury watches. 

While I think there is truth to this, I upgraded to a Tutor Pelagos recently on my 50th because I wanted an upscale tool watch that I can take to hell and back and has some special meaning to me personally.  

It’s like Japanese chef knives:  I don’t need them, a Victorinox will cook you a Michelin quality meal just fine.  It’s that it represents something special to me about my life journey and passion. Eye/beholder/etc.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

While I think there is truth to this, I upgraded to a Tutor Pelagos recently on my 50th because I wanted an upscale tool watch that I can take to hell and back and has some special meaning to me personally.  

It’s like Japanese chef knives:  I don’t need them, a Victorinox will cook you a Michelin quality meal just fine.  It’s that it represents something special to me about my life journey and passion. Eye/beholder/etc.

Sounds like you agree completely as you got your watch because of unique personal/personality reasons. It didn't represent an investment into your image in order to illustrate you are an attractive potential mate or employee/employer or otherwise feed into a consumerist ego like what a lot of the 20/30 year olds who pine for luxury watches and name brand suits and shoes are striving for.

• Hook 'Em 1

Derail--there are quite a few of the types of consumers out there you're talking about but not all the young people are falling for that. Some of the luxury/name products are simply not made well; perhaps once but some of the companies have gone with the quick $$ and I get that. My children take a pretty good look at the sewing and such before they spend their money and consider the item's use and care and purpose. Their friends are similar (and perhaps that's why they're friends) and some of that could be the changing attitudes over our throwaway society? They're Gen Z but not really into social media so perhaps that's helped them avoid some of the influencer stuff. No doubt that as one ages one's priorities and perspectives change and I'm sure many a shallow purchase gets rationalized into something noble but I'm okay with giving people the benefit of the doubt. Something well made that happens to be expensive may be their own reward at twenty-five same as at age forty. (OMG, I actually moved out of the basement!!)

It’s the Yeti question, right?

Look, if you are going to do a multi day fishing trip in the gulf and need ice preservation, okay, sure.  But 99% of Yetis will never hold ice for anything longer than a bbq or at worst, an overnight brisket smoke.  An off brand cooler at a fraction of the price will do just fine. 

It’s the brand, not the product.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

It’s the Yeti question, right?

Look, if you are going to do a multi day fishing trip in the gulf and need ice preservation, okay, sure.  But 99% of Yetis will never hold ice for anything longer than a bbq or at worst, an overnight brisket smoke.  An off brand cooler at a fraction of the price will do just fine. 

It’s the brand, not the product.

Timely analogy given the news that Stanley cups dropping the Valentine's Day pink caused WWE-style mayhem with suburban moms and tweens doing flying elbows at the local Target to get their tik-tok fingers on the limited drop.

Edited by BeardIP

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Derail--there are quite a few of the types of consumers out there you're talking about but not all the young people are falling for that. Some of the luxury/name products are simply not made well; perhaps once but some of the companies have gone with the quick $$ and I get that. My children take a pretty good look at the sewing and such before they spend their money and consider the item's use and care and purpose. Their friends are similar (and perhaps that's why they're friends) and some of that could be the changing attitudes over our throwaway society? They're Gen Z but not really into social media so perhaps that's helped them avoid some of the influencer stuff. No doubt that as one ages one's priorities and perspectives change and I'm sure many a shallow purchase gets rationalized into something noble but I'm okay with giving people the benefit of the doubt. Something well made that happens to be expensive may be their own reward at twenty-five same as at age forty. (OMG, I actually moved out of the basement!!)

No offense, but what I'm talking about is high fashion and high style (initially stated with premiere and prestigious brands of watches) with a subset of Gen Z's who are making $200k+ in their 20's and early 30's (banking, tech, private equity). I'm not talking about the eschewing of diffusion lines that luxury fashion designers put out for massification, by the general cohort of Gen Z's. But it's good to hear you are seeing them move away from their love affair with Chinese fast fashion and BNPL.

Anyways, back to watches or the lack thereof. I wear an Apple Watch so I'm just a doofus, not even a hipster doofus.

Edited by BeardIP