When is the last time you wore a watch?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you wear a watch?

• almost daily usage
    • Once or twice a week
    • Only for dressier occasions/ nice dinners/ events
    • More than 10 years ago
    • Muledick

I quit wearing a watch when I started working at home. I had a nice not expensive watch my wife gave me when we got married. My dad had an early 60’s cool bulova accutron that I have no idea what happened it it; I have his old man Timex’s.

As I travelled in Asia we had a Hong Kong office that had a shop below that sold knockoffs. I have a Rolex, Breitling, and a TAG, all cost less than $50, and my jeweler friend is amazed by the precision and wouldn’t know when changing batteries. I don’t wear them, usually still wear the one wife got me if I wear one.

Son gave me an Apple Watch. I don’t like the shitty battery life or the need to wake it up to use it. He switched to a Garmin.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Superhero said:

Everyday.

I feel naked without one. Sometimes I leave the house without a watch, and will go back to get one.

5 mechanical watches that I have to wind up / restart. Because of that, they're not as accurate as my iphone. But good enough to know I'm late for work, and when it's time to leave the bar.

My next watch will be a cheap Casio digital watch because nostalgia.

Casio F91W-1 Wrist Watch for Men for sale online | eBay

My son got a cheap, 80s, stainless Casio digital with a Spiedel-type stainless, stretch-band.  It's really cool.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I have a Rolex, Breitling, and a TAG, all cost less than $50, and my jeweler friend is amazed by the precision and wouldn’t know when changing batteries.

The battery would be the clue that the Rolex isn't real, unless it's a knock off of an OysterQuartz.

13 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

If your jeweler can’t identify a fugazi Rolex while changing the battery it’s time to move up from fast-fix

or probably not, I guess

Beat me to it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You know my $2 bill story, when I had a dream of becoming “beloved local eccentric, ‘Two Dollar Brisket,’” right? It ended quickly.

There used to be a homeless guy downtown who called me "Deuce." I hoped it would spread but it never caught on. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I still have my watches including an Orange Monster and a couple of decent seikos but since I got my Garmin I haven’t worn them.  I just switched to a nylon strap because the stock one was breaking after two years.  I only have to charge it every ten days or so and the Solar option was double the price.  

So yeah daily wearer but on the dark side and my mechanical watches are collecting dust…

Can't recall the last time I wore a watch, but I'm guessing around 40 years ago. I'm pretty sure the last watch I wore was a self-winding Seiko that I got at the PX in Saigon in 1968. My wrists have a nasty tendency to be attacked by door knobs, and that Seiko was the only watch that was tough enough to withstand the beatings. As a self-winder, it only stopped if I didn't wear it for at least three days, and even then all I had to do was shake it a couple of times, set it, and it was good to go. 

And yes, I still carry cash. I'm mildly uncomfortable if I've got less than a couple of G's with me. You never know when the guy or gal behind a counter is gonna respond positively to a question like "So, what's my one-time-only super special discount price for today, if I give you cash for this thing here?" 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Can't recall the last time I wore a watch, but I'm guessing around 40 years ago. I'm pretty sure the last watch I wore was a self-winding Seiko that I got at the PX in Saigon in 1968. 

If it’s a 6105 it’s fairly collectible, particularly having gotten it from where you did

IMG_3120.thumb.webp.e388ac2cf1f135b65b4a9da9ad51af8c.webp

• Hook 'Em 1

Can't recall the last time I wore a watch, but I'm guessing around 40 years ago. I'm pretty sure the last watch I wore was a self-winding Seiko that I got at the PX in Saigon in 1968. My wrists have a nasty tendency to be attacked by door knobs, and that Seiko was the only watch that was tough enough to withstand the beatings. As a self-winder, it only stopped if I didn't wear it for at least three days, and even then all I had to do was shake it a couple of times, set it, and it was good to go. 
And yes, I still carry cash. I'm mildly uncomfortable if I've got less than a couple of G's with me. You never know when the guy or gal behind a counter is gonna respond positively to a question like "So, what's my one-time-only super special discount price for today, if I give you cash for this thing here?" 

You walk around with $2000 cash on you?

Everyday.
I feel naked without one. Sometimes I leave the house without a watch, and will go back to get one.
5 mechanical watches that I have to wind up / restart. Because of that, they're not as accurate as my iphone. But good enough to know I'm late for work, and when it's time to leave the bar.
s-l400.png

I have an electric winder that keeps my watch spot on when I’m not wearing it. I don’t think they are too expensive.

17 hours ago, Superhero said:

Casio F91W-1 Wrist Watch for Men for sale online | eBay

I still have this one, I've had it since I bought it new around 1984, and I wear it every now and then just for fun:

watch only time man Swatch 1984 SO32B401

• Hook 'Em 2

For the last ten months I’ve worne a garmin swim 2 watch because it covers open water swims. 

I like it because it keeps stats where I can see how much Ive swam. My average is 58.27 miles per month so far.  Before I just had a cheap waterproofCasio and would only wear it to make sure I wasn’t late for work if I did a lunchtime or morning swim. 

2 hours ago, dogbreath said:

For the last ten months I’ve worne a garmin swim 2 watch because it covers open water swims. 

I like it because it keeps stats where I can see how much Ive swam. My average is 58.27 miles per month so far.  Before I just had a cheap waterproofCasio and would only wear it to make sure I wasn’t late for work if I did a lunchtime or morning swim. 

I hate to break it to you, but you've only averaging about 10 miles a month.

The rest is from jerking off in the shower. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I have an electric winder that keeps my watch spot on when I’m not wearing it. I don’t think they are too expensive.

Granted, all my stuff is old, but the guy that services my watches said stay away from autowinders.  They only decrease the service interval on wear parts. 

But since I don't use them, the date on my only automatic with a date function is always wrong because ain't nobody got time for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I hate to break it to you, but you've only averaging about 10 miles a month.

The rest is from jerking off in the shower. 

That’s 1.58 miles daily of caulking the cracks in the bathroom tile; going Hans Solo on Darth Vader and evicting the testicular squatters.

• Hook 'Em 1

I started wearing my watch on the underside of my wrist because of this.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've got 3 but typically only wear my apple watch as I need to keep track of workouts for triathlon.  I'm about to switch to a Garmin 955 or 965 instead.  I've got a nice Rolex Submariner (blue two-tone) for dress up occasions, a Hamilton khaki with a NATO strap for traveling, and my apple watch.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/3/2023 at 1:59 PM, pearlandhorn said:

I've got 3 but typically only wear my apple watch as I need to keep track of workouts for triathlon.  I'm about to switch to a Garmin 955 or 965 instead.  I've got a nice Rolex Submariner (blue two-tone) for dress up occasions, a Hamilton khaki with a NATO strap for traveling, and my apple watch.

That's a really good three watch collection. I have more watches (and flashlights and pocket knives) than I need but If I had to cull it down to three, I would go Cartier Tank for dress, Rolex Explorer 39 for EDC and travel, and velcro strap Timex Ironman for workouts/lightweight beater.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm pretty rough on watches. I'm pretty consistently wrenching on something or doing some other type of work that eventually leads to it getting covered in scratches. I try to remember to take my watch off before doing any kind of work in tight spaces where it is likely to get scratched, but sometimes I forget, and sometimes I don't have the time to. So I generally only wear cheaper watches (although I do have an affinity towards automatic movements). I just ordered a timex expedition for like $30 because I know it will get beat up pretty quickly.

However, I am considering one of these for the sapphire glass and Seiko automatic movement at a dirt cheap price. Maybe it will survive a bit longer, and I can always (maybe) replace the glass or movement in the future if they become an issue.

On 6/28/2023 at 2:38 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Apple Watch series 4.  Fitness tracking, and I use the timer function quite a bit (making coffee, pizza, e.t.c.).  Cellular function has come in handy and often use Apple Pay with it as well.  

All of that said there are days I want to disconnect completely so I have been looking at some Seiko 5s and g-shocks.

Wound up getting this and putting away the apple watch.  

I have three Hamilton's and wear one of them every day.  Garmin for various workouts and when I travel.  (I'd rather lose it than the Hamiltons.)

Watches for men are basically jewelry at this point but a well made watch can make a man look good and women notice.  Same with a suit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2023 at 2:30 PM, utee94 said:

I still have this one, I've had it since I bought it new around 1984, and I wear it every now and then just for fun:

watch only time man Swatch 1984 SO32B401

I found the one I wanted as a kid but didn't get because my folks got me the one that was on sale, the 1985 techno-sphere. Not mine, but a nice on on ebay.Swatch Techno Sphere GK101 1985 - ( 2 Straps ) - 34mm - Picture 2 of 24 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2023 at 9:19 AM, dcbc said:

The battery would be the clue that the Rolex isn't real, unless it's a knock off of an OysterQuartz.

I inherited this OysterQuartz from my granddad.  Reminds me that I need to get the batteries replaced.

image.png.c9ec17c4d72287a916cfc61339ab4aef.png

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I inherited this OysterQuartz from my granddad.  Reminds me that I need to get the batteries replaced.

image.png.c9ec17c4d72287a916cfc61339ab4aef.png

Sell it

Rolex Datejust Oysterquartz

Buckley dial steel & gold with original paper
Starting at $574/mo with Affirm. Prequalify nowMore information
Pre-owned (Very good) | Year of production 1988 | Original box | Original papers

I was a watch guy until I went back to the farm full time.  Too much opportunity to smash them up.  Should probably use one when for when I'm biking and have my phone stashed in a camel back.
$16 on Amazon. Lost a fitbit while fixing fence and replaced it with this.

Plus, I can see the numbers without my glasses.a845b9ae037e8f7ef257228f14a5aba1.jpg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

Sell it

Rolex Datejust Oysterquartz

Buckley dial steel & gold with original paper
Starting at $574/mo with Affirm. Prequalify nowMore information
Pre-owned (Very good) | Year of production 1988 | Original box | Original papers

Yeah the price has gone up a lot over the years.  It used to only be worth ~$2,500 and was one of the least expensive resale Rolexes.  I don't think I could ever sell it, even though I don't love that it is a quartz. 

It has some dings in it that I will also never buff out.  Whenever I see them I think about what my granddad (a farmer) was doing when he dinged it up.  

My dad has probably 5-6 Rolexes plus another one from my other granddad, so someday more may be headed my way.  My dad wears one like this every day:

Mens ROLEX President Day-Date Watch

All of them are a little too blingy for me.  I have a Stowa Klassic that I generally prefer. It looks good on a variety of straps and is more understated:

image.thumb.png.d3966cfc6e0cc8a0d12c92a7ae0fd46b.png

But generally I just wear my Garmin Vivoactive 3 every day.  It is comfortable and is a great running watch.

Garmin VivoActive 3 Music Review | Running Shoes Guru

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/1/2023 at 8:36 AM, Texzilla58 said:

I have a Rolex, Breitling, and a TAG, all cost less than $50, and my jeweler friend is amazed by the precision and wouldn’t know when changing batteries.

Of course. @futureman

24/7 for the last 40-45 years. Be lost without a watch, pocket knife too.

I feel “naked” without a watch, even while mowing the yard. Yes, I still do that! Just about the only time I take one off, depending on watch, is when I take a shower. I even have an old toothbrush that I use to clean my “Lumi Nox” watches, after wearing them out in the elements.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1