Texas tops list of worst places to live and work in America

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

Owning a home anywhere where you'd actually want to live is a huge fucking challenge. Yes there are affordable homes available, but who the fuck wants to live in BFE Jason Aldean Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, name your shitty state/city?

yeah and kinda the thing I'm pointing at - even beyond "where you would want to live" is "where you can do something with your life". Someone will bring up tech bros working remote from the country - there are really not that many of those people, even fewer of those are junior, and we're still seeing where the new normal for remote working is going to land. Outside of that - if you're a smart kid from Crewe, VA or Giddings, TX or Mt. Vernon, OH or wherever the fuck - what are you doing if you stick around? And obviously places like NYC/LA/SF have been astronomically expensive forever, Seattle/Portland/Austin/Denver/etc are pretty much there now too, but if we're talking about buying a house even the next couple of tiers down are going to be tough for your normal middle/upper middle class bound twenty somethings to get something in the near term.

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I think in the city anywhere is tough for 400k. Suburbs of Houston though?  100% you can get a great house.  Not sure about Dallas 

You can get a house in the Houston burbs for 400k but not the burbs you want to live in. Not everywhere is created equal. If you want a nice house in a nice suburb with good schools you are going to pay more than 400k. Some of the burbs have really gone down hill. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 3:47 AM, Newdoc said:

Parents who think Texas sucks have kids who think Texas sucks amplified by the fact that they’re spending, for many, the best days of their lives to date (college) no matter where it is. Lulz at the objectivity.

The kids being talked about in the thread outside of Brisket are still in high school and think it sucks because of all the reasons in this thread. Kids these days are paying attention to what's going on much more than we were in our day. Especially young women. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I think it's really unfair and bad timing to gauge everyone's love/hate for Texas when it's July. Just sayin..

Like me, many people have been wanting to move out of this state for awhile. This July is just another reminder.

For some, this July is a wake up call.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

The underlying theme here seems to be political, as is that so-called “list”.

Welcome to the 2020’s, everything seems to be political. The migration related to Covid and other things is really wrecking shop on some states that had typically been well balanced in the past. We will probably be looking at relocating when our youngest finishes school for similar reasons as mentioned in this thread for Texas. The great influx of people has exacerbated things that already weren’t great about my state and damned if those elected haven’t tripled down on it.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep, we've got 'em.  Cream of the crop, super brain-genius types.

If I am going to think about this at all, I think that I would prefer to spend that time thinking about Jamie-Lynn. But of course, you do you, Brisket.

jl%20bar%202-300?v=1

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Not sure if serious. 

No, I’m serious.  Again, to establish residency sure.  But you think the same proportions of every type and class actually moved to TX from CA?  I don’t think that’s the case.  I could have missed some of the Hollywood elite moving to Texas.  Not tuned in.  

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If I am going to think about this at all, I think that I would prefer to spend that time thinking about Jamie-Lynn. But of course, you do you, Brisket.

jl%20bar%202-300?v=1

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/22/realestate/moving-from-california-to-texas.html

Had to look her up.  Definitely some B list talent headed down there.  I stand corrected?

Edited by ChiTownDoc

Right when Covid started opening back up again.  I was at Mandola's on my way back from our Lakeway office to pickup to-go dinner for the family.  And there was this gorgeous ass bent over grabbing something from the pre-packaged cooler case. She stands up and I start pretending to look at some label or something.  She turns and I get a quick glance at her face.  It's Jamie-Lynn, she had either just moved or was looking at places out that way.  She was even more beautiful in real life than on the show with the hair/makeup.  

But yeah-her.  The dude from "entourage" who I ran into at that club place on South Congress.  He is fucking creepy tiny IRL.  I know those pretty actors run small but it honestly freaked me the fuck out how diminutive he was.  Musk.  Linklater.  Judge.  Paul Simon.  A bunch of others.  We even have three lunatic game show hosts here-Joe Rogan, Chuck Woolery, and Rajj Patel.  there's also about a dozen billionaires here now (most of them self-made unlike the legacy ones in Houston and Dallas).  Speaking of small people, I see Elijah Wood on South Congress every now and again.  And Brother D-Day gets coffee at Jo's on the weekends about every other time I'm there it seems.  

We can get back to how much Texas is falling lately.  If we didn't live in the close proximity to the things we love in Austin, we'd have gotten the fuck outta here a long time ago.  Only reason we stay is we're 2 miles from Town Lake/Barton Springs, less than 2 miles from Zilker, 4 miles from friend's boat on Lake Austin, 3 miles from CBD/Downtown, 4.5 miles from campus, and 2 miles from our beloved elementary school.  Any further out, or any other big city or small town, and we'd peace out.  As it stands, I think when our oldest finishes 5th grade and she'd be transitioning to a new school anyway, between the heat, bullshit leadership at all levels from Abbott to Council, and insane cost of living for not getting much in return, horrific transportation, and too much stupidity...we're thinking real fucking serious this time around about leaving.  I can do my gigs from anywhere with a serious airport.  My wife's skill set and experience, she can open up her own speech therapy clinic tomorrow and have 50 clients or be hired by any school district in the lower 48, or teach at the undergrad level in any college town in North America.  The romance of Texas is gone, I love our little pocket of Austin but it's too pricey to stay in it much longer.    

You know y'all can just Google this stuff. 

https://www.kxan.com/entertainment-news/list-celebrities-who-live-in-the-austin-area/amp/

I know Danny Brown also lives here now. Fairly famous rapper. 

A lot of people have second houses or condos here. Granted when you're rich enough you may not spend more than half the year anywhere. 

33 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

jl%20bar%202-300?v=1

She’s very cool.  She’s really good friends with the SIL.  She walked into their house for a party and, loud enough for everyone to hear including her, I told the wife “that’s Meadow fucking Soprano.”

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You know y'all can just Google this stuff. 

https://www.kxan.com/entertainment-news/list-celebrities-who-live-in-the-austin-area/amp/

I know Danny Brown also lives here now. Fairly famous rapper. 

A lot of people have second houses or condos here. Granted when you're rich enough you may not spend more than half the year anywhere. 

Yep.  I did Google and posted what I found.  This is better.  Thanks.  I recognize 5-6 people on that list.  Obviously Matt and Willie but they are Texans through and through.  Bullock was prob one of the bigger names I recognize and she said she spends most of her time in LA.  Paul Simon?  Badass.  I mean if I had to live anywhere in Texas, I’d choose Austin.  For people who can live anywhere I guess I don’t get it.  

Side note: can’t believe Rogan and that nutjob Alex Jones live in Austin.  Obviously more diverse than I give it credit for.  

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep.  I did Google and posted what I found.  This is better.  Thanks.  I recognize 5-6 people on that list.  Obviously Matt and Willie but they are Texans through and through.  Bullock was prob one of the bigger names I recognize and she said she spends most of her time in LA.  Paul Simon?  Badass.  I mean if I had to live anywhere in Texas, I’d choose Austin.  For people who can live anywhere I guess I don’t get it.  

Side note: can’t believe Rogan and that nutjob Alex Jones live in Austin.  Obviously more diverse than I give it credit for.  

Alex Jones has been here forever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I was a waiter back in the day at a nice downtown restaurant.  Tons of regular celebs would be around downtown. Random ones too, not just Brad Pitt and Anniston etc 

On 7/20/2023 at 2:33 PM, Texzilla58 said:

But all these “bad” places are being overrun with folks coming from the “good” places. Here’s my advice: if you’re from California or Oregon or Chicago or New York and you’re now living in Texas or Florida or Oklahoma. Go the fuck home. Leave now. We dont want your whining about how great Portland was or how hot to is or that you don’t like our Mexican food. Fucking go back where you came from.

Well. Going the fuck back to where I came from was exactly what I was going to do, until I read this bitchy post. Now I find out that Hollywood royalty Jamie-Lynn Sigler, Haylie Duff and Becca Tobin are out here? I think I'll stick around now. 

• Haha 4

I think in the city anywhere is tough for 400k. Suburbs of Houston though?  100% you can get a great house.  Not sure about Dallas 

Tapa cut me off but no there is plenty of the city of Houston that
Much of this is not where upper middle class demographic that is disproportionately represented on this site would live but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well, it's like asking someone's opinion of Vail, CO when they're in an avalanche. 

200.gif

CSB: Visted Denver last year and met a friend that settled there and has taken up skiing. I did not, until about a year ago, have and idea that they cause intentional small avalanches in order to minimize the risk of bigger ones (think similar concept to prescribed burns… but avalanches) by literally shooting artillery from the next mountain over.

My mind is still blown thinking about that.

You can get a house in the Houston burbs for 400k but not the burbs you want to live in. Not everywhere is created equal. If you want a nice house in a nice suburb with good schools you are going to pay more than 400k. Some of the burbs have really gone down hill. 

Uh, define burb you want to be in? I don’t do a lot of aggy belt house hunting but just setting the price filter to $400k on Zillow really only seems to eliminate most of Sugar Land and the Woodlands, maybe part of Katy. Wife’s parents live in a pretty decent neighborhood in Cypress and it’s just now getting over $300k.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

CSB: Visted Denver last year and met a friend that settled there and has taken up skiing. I did not, until about a year ago, have and idea that they cause intentional small avalanches in order to minimize the risk of bigger ones (think similar concept to prescribed burns… but avalanches) by literally shooting artillery from the next mountain over.

My mind is still blown thinking about that.

They’ve been doing that for a long time.  Like I’m 48 and they were doing it when I was 8.

Exactly - our kids are getting their political ideas and information from social media.  That's the point

Yeah it’s totally just the kids.

Facebook, at this point comprised entirely of boomers believing literally everything they read on the internet and Russian bots:

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

What can I say? I am but a child of the plains who did not grow up skiing. It sounds cool AF though.

If you were staying close to the slopes it was an alarm clock.  They would go out before the lifts opened for the day, see if anything looked like it had the potential for an avalanche, and if it did, blow it up while nobody was on the mountain.

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Exactly - our kids are getting their political ideas and information from social media.  

Better from there than from church.

Added bonus: your kids are less likely to get sexually assaulted by a stranger on social media.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

If your kids are more influenced by social media than what is discussed at home, then guess who sucks at parents.

So many fucking victims.

A lot of homes have been filled with stupid for a while.  What's scary is now they're going to schools and insisting schools are chock full of dumb as well...scary shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

A lot of homes have been filled with stupid for a while.  What's scary is now they're going to schools and insisting schools are chock full of dumb as well...scary shit. 

The whole slavery thing was kinda sorta an internship is a bridge far far far far too far for me. I suppose I have probably looked the other way while religious wackjobs have gradually taken over my state, and that’s on me.  But keeping this bullshit out of textbooks is a hill I’m willing to die on.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Celery Man said:

The thing I miss about Texas is HEB and going to DKR regularly during the fall, that's it. I would need a pretty solid economic incentive to move back, but if it continues to follow Florida's lead even that wouldn't do it.

No grocery store is worth putting up with this bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Doesn't sound like you're hauling ass to get back to this wonderland.  The point stands.

It does, but I'm still pissed off that I paid $18 for a bag of Kingsford and $2.99/lb for zucchini that looked like large green beans.  And the "no bags" thing even in the vegetable section is just fucking crazy.  I actually stole a handful of bags from the self-checkout at Safeway because I needed something to pick up dogshit with.

And all the shit bag dispensers at the dog park were empty.  I like Boulder much more as a road trip destination to get an easy W than as a place to live. 

OTOH, it's 66 degrees outside right now.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

If your kids are more influenced by social media than what is discussed at home, then guess who sucks at parents.

So many fucking victims.

What’s discussed at home after reading it on Facebook? Sounds much better.

I heard a ton of political talk at home growing up and it took me 2 years on my own to learn it was all bullshit. 

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Uh, define burb you want to be in? I don’t do a lot of aggy belt house hunting but just setting the price filter to $400k on Zillow really only seems to eliminate most of Sugar Land and the Woodlands, maybe part of Katy. Wife’s parents live in a pretty decent neighborhood in Cypress and it’s just now getting over $300k.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Tapa cut me off but no there is plenty of the city of Houston that
Much of this is not where upper middle class demographic that is disproportionately represented on this site would live but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

LInk below.  New build.   Katy High School, not great but 6 to 7 out of ten on great school?  Yes, you are far from downtown, but we're talking suburbs right?

I nutted on Katy

This is what 375k gets you in Tustin, an "ok" suburb in OC:

Commiefornia

So yes, Texas is special, but COL is definitely a factor.

• Drool 1

Opinions vary, but 400k about 10-12 years ago got you a whole lot more - I know, news at 9.   But now there’s a lot of shit burbs where that barely gets you in the door.  Hell there are hoods just down the street from Alief in the 600’s right now.  But I agree, 4-500k gets you a decent house in the Houston burbs. 

• Hook 'Em 1